AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-27, 06:38   Link #461
KaoruLia

Oh dear... that last shot of someone in a wedding dress is killing me >_>

Hopefully we'll get a clear-cut resolution this time!
Old 2010-12-27, 06:51   Link #462
John117xCortana

I think it's for a music video. Like the scene where we see Sheryl playing the piano and her meeting with her younger self.
Old 2010-12-27, 07:12   Link #463
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
I've been saying this for a long time (ask cheesie), I'm not expecting this to go Sheryl's way at all and I'll rather see a Ranka win (and make no mistake a movie ranka win does not mean she won the tv series) than another copout.
Well, it's still a bit premature to call it, but if they continue Ranka on the same track as in movie one ( that is, without epically failing at being a decent human being, like in the series ), then it's okay.

Movie continuity =/= series continuity and we'll always know that Sheryl did deserve to get Alto in the end in the series. And in all probability did after the cameras stopped rolling, if one does logically think through about where the characters motivations were and how the situation was. I am pretty emotionally detached from the movieverse characters, anyway. They are lesser versions of their series counterparts ( with the exception of Ranka ).

On another note, why is Sheryl trying to break her back in the opening seconds of the trailer?
Old 2010-12-27, 09:07   Link #464
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I still don't really see a need to keep separate continuities, here. But hey, more power to you, if you do. Love the trailer, by the way. Can't really premiere fast enough.

Old 2010-12-27, 09:25   Link #465
magnuskn

Well, first off because they are, uh, separate? This are two different stories, with the ( outwardly ) same characters, but so far quite different plotlines. You can't just say "they are exactly the same!", which trying to mesh the two continuities would imply.
Old 2010-12-27, 09:38   Link #466
Radik

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
What possible argument is there, besides some marketing guys fearing that the studio will lose some $$$ from merchandising?
As far as I'm concerned it always was nothing more than a marketing decision. They already knew they were making the movie, and gave the fans one more reason to actually go and watch it. Seeing the latest trailer only seems to confirm that this was their plan all along. That's also why I dislike how the movie seems to be changing so much from the series, personally I find it difficult to disconnect the two. In the end the movie ending is likely going to be regarded as the "true" ending either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn
Hm, clever inversion of the grand image of Sheryl and Alto hugging before the big panorama window in ep 24.
While I was somewhat expecting this, I hope we're not going to have too many of those. Regardless of the resolution of the love triangle, they might really mess up Sheryl's character development in the latter half of the series if they take away moments like these in the movie. I guess it's too early to tell though at this point.
Old 2010-12-27, 09:48   Link #467
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
In the end the movie ending is likely going to be regarded as the "true" ending either way.
I honestly hope you are wrong on this account. So far the history of Macross has been of mix-and-matching elements of the different continuities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radik View Post
Regardless of the resolution of the love triangle, they might really mess up Sheryl's character development in the latter half of the series if they take away moments like these in the movie.
Only in movie continuity, nothing can damage the awesomeness of Sheryl in the series. Besides some heavy retcons which would have to be in series continuity, but I doubt we'll get those. For whatever reason the writers seem to want to distance themselves from the series continuity ( IMO, of course ), hence the plethora of other Macross F projects with their own continuity lines.
Old 2010-12-27, 09:49   Link #468
lowestolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
Oh dear... that last shot of someone in a wedding dress is killing me >_>
Any possibility of that being Cathy marrying Ozma? And the love triangle is still unresolved. Just saying
Old 2010-12-27, 10:08   Link #469
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowestolo View Post
Any possibility of that being Cathy marrying Ozma? And the love triangle is still unresolved. Just saying
Ahahaha, that would be a kick to the nuts. Especially since the person kneeling in that shot tells me that she just got the message that the significant other died/is missing, presumed dead.

Of course it could be Bobby in the wedding dress.
Old 2010-12-27, 10:31   Link #470
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, with this:

Quote:
Well, first off because they are, uh, separate?
And this:

Quote:
So far the history of Macross has been of mix-and-matching elements of the different continuities.
It seems like you made my point for me. Thanks, by the way.
If the "official chronology" is made of variably diverging aspects from several "different" ones, who am I to complain? I simply delight myself in watching whatever it is that I like. And I'm fine with that, myself.

Let's just leave it at that, in regards to our different viewpoints, shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowestolo View Post
Heh, I can't believe no one had made that connection before. It seems way more plausible, to me. I'd love to see Sheryl in a wedding dress, but... I'm not holding my breath for it.

Old 2010-12-27, 10:37   Link #471
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
It seems like you made my point for me. Thanks, by the way.
Oh, if you mean that the next Macross project will probably take some elements from different versions, that is what will probably happen. But it still doesn't make the two stories the same continuity. O "the same story", if we are having a problem here with the definition of what "continuity" is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Let's just leave it at that, in regards to our different viewpoints, shall we?
As if I could change your viewpoint in any case. But my best guess is that we probably will never hear of who ended up with whom in the next Macross project, anyway. Like with Gamlin, Mylene and Basara. So trying to mentally merge the different stories into one outcome is pretty useless, anyway.
Old 2010-12-27, 10:51   Link #472
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
As if I could change your viewpoint in any case. But my best guess is that we probably will never hear of who ended up with whom in the next Macross project, anyway. Like with Gamlin, Mylene and Basara.
We kinda did get an answer to that one...sort of.

We know she didn't end up with Basara, at any rate. According to the liner notes for Re:FIRE last year, Basara never returned to Macross 7 after leaving Planet Zola.

And back on topic, it's nice to be able to actually SEE that trailer without straining to look at the screen at Budokan...

And, uh...

Spoiler for wedding pic:
Old 2010-12-27, 11:11   Link #473
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post

We know she didn't end up with Basara, at any rate. According to the liner notes for Re:FIRE last year, Basara never returned to Macross 7 after leaving Planet Zola.
Well, Mylene could still be chasing after him, but I really hope she isn't. In my mind I see Mylene finally giving up the chase when she realizes that this is who Basara and that she knows him enough to make the informed decision she wants.

Quote:
Spoiler for Yot's Guess:
Spoiler for My guess on it:
Old 2010-12-27, 11:13   Link #474
Ceci-chan
(・∀ノゝ)~キラ☆

Quote:
Spoiler for wedding pic:
Spoiler:

|facebook.twitter|
Old 2010-12-27, 11:23   Link #475
magnuskn

Quote:

Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know that.
So, to amend my statement: It will probably take more than a decade and some obscure side-product to give us a kinda-sorta real glimpse of who officially "won" in the end.

Spoiler for wedding pic:

Spoiler for Ummm...:

D'OH! Yes, it's most probably her. The purple tresses at the bottom kinda give it away. Well spotted.
Old 2010-12-27, 11:29   Link #476
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Oh for **** sake. If that is her in the wedding dress, then there's a 99% chance a certain someone is dead.. AGAIN.

;______________;
Old 2010-12-27, 11:33   Link #477
magnuskn

Spoiler for Spoilah!:
Old 2010-12-27, 11:33   Link #478
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Oh, that's interesting, I didn't know that.
So, to amend my statement: It will probably take more than a decade and some obscure side-product to give us a kinda-sorta real glimpse of who officially "won" in the end.
LOL!

Yeah...probably. So shall we all gather back here in 2028 for the 20th Anniversary May'n and Megumi reunion album?
Old 2010-12-27, 11:38   Link #479
magnuskn

Quote:
LOL!

Yeah...probably. So shall we all gather back here in 2028 for the 20th Anniversary May'n and Megumi reunion album?
Well, I am not going anywhere.
Old 2010-12-27, 12:37   Link #480
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
Woah. Just watched the trailer. I'm not sure what to say. Kawamori is a big troll.

Spoiler:

DISLIKE.

Then again in the TV series Sheryl and Alto had their moments...but still:
Epic rage if Ranka end. I will throw my CDs out >: (

Just gonna remind people that, Minmay and Hikaru had a kiss/embrace last scene in DYRL and look at what happened
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song