AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2011-01-09, 15:21   Link #1
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Fanfiction Competition!

After lurking around AnimeSuki forums for a while now, I noticed that there are monthly competitions for signature creation, but I haven't seen (and forgive me if this exists) a fanfiction competition.

I think it'd be really cool if we had a monthly themed fanfiction competition, for those who excel in composition over illustration. Just an idea, stop me if I'm insane. XD
Old 2011-01-09, 15:28   Link #2
Otsdarva
Cadenza

you aren't insane. I actually like the idea, since some people excel in signature and other graphic designs, while other people excel in literature or poetry. I'm not all that good, but I think it'd be a good way to improve academical writing as well. I approve of this, though it isn't really up to me.

Eh, I say it should at least be given a try since this could help expand Fan Creation. I think it could be anything from poetry to fanfiction, to more original literature.

Last edited by Otsdarva; 2011-01-09 at 15:40. Reason: *fixed*
Otsdarva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 15:53   Link #3
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

It's a good idea.

You'll need to get writers attention about this first and you are also gonna need a clear and easy to understand guideline about how the competition is going to work. I believe there's already a social group for writers (along with a thread), so you can always pitch the idea there and see how things work out.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion; In the end, it's all about how you (and all those involved) want to handle everything.
Old 2011-01-09, 16:01   Link #4
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I'm glad you brought the social group to my attention - I've pitched the idea there. I'm still curious though; would we ourselves be creating/maintaining the competitions, or would we require a moderator to assist?
Old 2011-01-09, 16:13   Link #5
Otsdarva
Cadenza

* Entries must be written in english. (This is, after all, an english forum.)
* Entries must not be 18+. (Depends on region as well, since some region has different age settings. I think, anyways.)
* X date to Y date to enter Z entry. (Just like SoTM.)

That's all I got. I've never been particularly good at explaining, so.... you know.

Thanks, Danielle.
Old 2011-01-09, 16:45   Link #6
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

I like the idea of a fan fiction competition. I agree that it would be a good way to improve one's writing skills. But I do have one question. What does "X date to Y date to enter Z entry." mean? I've never heard the term before.
Old 2011-01-09, 16:51   Link #7
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Adding to and combining with Cello's points (thank you for making them, by the way^.^):

* Entries must be written in English.
* Entries must not be kept under the "Mature" level. This is a competition for all ages.
* Unlimited entries can be created, but only one can be submitted.
* Entries must associate in some way with the theme.
* All forms of composition are accepted. (Poems, short stories, etc.)
* All entries must be submitted within the time limit, which will be specified for each competition.
* Your entry must be an original creation. Plagiarism will result in instant disqualification.

Ah, and "X date to Y date" is talking about the start date of the competition to the end date, and "Z entry" is referring to how many entries are allowed and when they should be submitted by.
Old 2011-01-09, 16:59   Link #8
Mr. Wang
Scholar of Yanderes
*Author

Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Wang
Oh... my... god...

I want this to happen... this sounds like an awesome idea...
Old 2011-01-09, 17:00   Link #9
Otsdarva
Cadenza

X date to Y date to Z entry is a quick, easy way to say "From start of the competition to the end of the competition with the entry you confirmed as Final Entry".... so yeah, Paper is right on what I meant.

Quote:
Oh... my... god...

I want this to happen... this sounds like an awesome idea...
I know, right? we should spread the creativity like this more often.

Quote:
* All forms of composition are accepted. (Poems, short stories, etc.)
Your aniki approves. Having free-form writing on a particular theme is a great idea.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:05   Link #10
Shikabane_Hime
108 Shikabane to destroy

I'm looking forward to the start of the competition. I do have another question though. Would the theme be the anime or would it be the theme of the story itself?
Old 2011-01-09, 17:08   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cello View Post
I know, right? we should spread the creativity like this more often.
I like the sound of that idea! Creativity begets more creativity, I always say.

Quote:
Your aniki approves. Having free-form writing on a particular theme is a great idea.
Glad to hear it. ^.^ If we're going to be having a competition about creativity and expression, it seems wrong to limit the forms of composition you can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikabane_Hime View Post
I'm looking forward to the start of the competition. I do have another question though. Would the theme be the anime or would it be the theme of the story itself?
I'm actually curious myself. Since this is an anime forum, I'm wondering if the theme always has to be anime-associated in general. A theme would be preferable, so everyone can join in. If we are allowed to have non-anime themes as well, we could open this competition up to a whole new level.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:11   Link #12
Otsdarva
Cadenza

It'd be a theme, I'd imagine. Going with an anime would be too specific and not everyone has the same taste. It'd be awfully discriminating, sort of like a SoTM with the animation theme. Basically it'd be a "Allw hose who can apply".

I'd go for theme, anime would be a hassle. I do think having an original form would be better though. Since other entries (videogame, anime, etcetera) may contain spoilers or may require prior knowledge to be aware of the context. Which would be a problem for those spoiler-phobic or otherwise in it for the overall enjoyment of it. no need to set up an unnecessary deterrent, right?

Quote:
I like the sound of that idea! Creativity begets more creativity, I always say.
Quote:
Glad to hear it. ^.^ If we're going to be having a competition about creativity and expression, it seems wrong to limit the forms of composition you can use.
Agreed.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:16   Link #13
Suomi
Kaiba

It sounds like a great idea!! I love to write, and friendly competition is always fun!
How would entries be judged though? in each category?
Old 2011-01-09, 17:21   Link #14
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post
It sounds like a great idea!! I love to write, and friendly competition is always fun!
How would entries be judged though? in each category?
That's what I was pondering for a short while now^.^ I was thinking we'd have 3 or so official judges (that don't submit entries). We could have several sub-awards under the actual competition. (Most creative, judge's mentions, etc.)

These are just ideas, so if anyone has better ones, I'm quite open to hearing them.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:24   Link #15
Kagayaki

This sounds like a great idea. Kudos to Papermario
I'd definitely like to see this.

What makes you want to have judges rather than an open vote like SOTM? I know I would vote.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:26   Link #16
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagayaki View Post
This sounds like a great idea. Kudos to Papermario
I'd definitely like to see this.

What makes you want to have judges rather than an open vote like SOTM? I know I would vote.
Right-o! Perhaps I just forgot to think for a second there; forgot that open voting is how SOTM worked. That would be a MUCH better idea, thanks for pointing it out. ^.^
Old 2011-01-09, 17:31   Link #17
Otsdarva
Cadenza

*punches internet*

I think it'd be better to follow the example of the other competitions, like the SotMs. Like the highest voted chooses the next theme, and so on. Since the guidelines are like a literature form the soTM, I don't see the problem with following that example.

I'm not good at this, sorry. i think we need a moderator to sort this stuff out. XD
Old 2011-01-09, 17:34   Link #18
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
*punches internet*

I think it'd be better to follow the example of the other competitions, like the SotMs. Like the highest voted chooses the next theme, and so on. Since the guidelines are like a literature form the soTM, I don't see the problem with following that example.

I'm not good at this, sorry. i think we need a moderator to sort this stuff out. XD
That sounds like an excellent idea. And don't worry, a brainstorming session never needs to be precise.
Old 2011-01-09, 17:42   Link #19
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

I would also suggest having a vote system over a judge panel.

Quote:
I'm still curious though; would we ourselves be creating/maintaining the competitions, or would we require a moderator to assist?
Depends on how you guys decide on things. If you are going to use a submission thread (ala SOTM) you'll need a mod to close the thread at a given time.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2011-01-09 at 18:05.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 17:47   Link #20
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
I would also suggest having a vote system over a judge panel.
Yes, so would I. ^.^
*looks around suspiciously* Who suggested a judge panel? Surely, it wasn't me! *whistles*

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2011-01-09 at 18:26.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction