AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-19, 00:19   Link #1
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

AI love you

i used search, and oddly it didnt get any results... so....

AI love you by Ken Akamatsu... is it good? Is it worth the buy? Did Tokyopop screw it up in anyway?? Exactly wat is it about? can anyone give some spoilers?
Old 2003-12-19, 07:25   Link #2
Ookla The Mok

It was done before Love Hina. A lot of the characters look like Love Hina characters. It has something to do with girls coming out of a computer screen. Um... TOKYOPOP changed the title, but the "A.I." part is in the original title.

I have flipped through some books of it in the used bookstore. There were 9 (10?) volumes originally, and it was recollected into 8 (9?) volumes with slightly more pages per volume.
Spoiler:

Oh and since TOKYOPOP screwed up Love Hina, do you expect them to do better for his previous, less-popular series?
Old 2003-12-19, 13:59   Link #3
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Original name, for those who care, is "Ai ga Tomarani"
Old 2003-12-19, 16:29   Link #4
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Love Hina wasnt screwed up.... it just had typos and stupid mistakes here and there. The story wasnt messed around with. Im sure, because i read it in 2 different languages, one of which is the closest language to japanese in the world.
Old 2003-12-20, 00:16   Link #5
Ookla The Mok

Go on believing that. Personally I think having Keitaro start calling Naru by her first name is messing with the story.

But mostly I'm upset about the crappy editing.
Old 2003-12-22, 22:45   Link #6
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ookla The Mok
Go on believing that. Personally I think having Keitaro start calling Naru by her first name is messing with the story.

of course.... since names effect the story so much.....
u know, if u just read it as narusegawa it doesnt effect the story tat much.
Old 2003-12-23, 03:01   Link #7
Ookla The Mok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
of course.... since names effect the story so much.....
u know, if u just read it as narusegawa it doesnt effect the story tat much.
Oh, okay, when I read something by TOKYOPOP I'll just pretend that the words that should be on the page are there instead of what's really there, and I'll also pretend the print quality looks like the Japanese version, etc. Then I'll be happy. Wow, why didn't I think of that before? You must be a genius.
Old 2003-12-23, 23:14   Link #8
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Oh, okay, when I read something by TOKYOPOP I'll just pretend that the words that should be on the page are there instead of what's really there, and I'll also pretend the print quality looks like the Japanese version, etc. Then I'll be happy. Wow, why didn't I think of that before? You must be a genius.
i said the names... read the posts in its entirety.

sure the editing sucked, but the story wasnt tainted. besides ppl complain about 5 panels... i mean 5. gee.... Tats like counting the peperoni on ur pizza and complaining if its 1 less than u wanted.
Old 2003-12-24, 01:43   Link #9
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

They have to do stuff like that to make it appeal to a wider audience than just hardcore otaku, who probably just download scanlations anyway. The crappy editting is just TP trying to put out as much as possible in the shortest time.

Quote:
That's what I do with Initial D. Quit complaining about Love Hina, look what they did to that. At least Keitaro isn't Keith, and Naru isn't Nancy.
Old 2003-12-26, 00:30   Link #10
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
They have to do stuff like that to make it appeal to a wider audience than just hardcore otaku, who probably just download scanlations anyway. The crappy editting is just TP trying to put out as much as possible in the shortest time.

That's what I do with Initial D. Quit complaining about Love Hina, look what they did to that. At least Keitaro isn't Keith, and Naru isn't Nancy.
id have killed TP's entire team if they did that.
Old 2004-03-22, 16:52   Link #11
e2-
Genius!

A.I. Love you

I know that A.I. Love you, manga is made by the same artista as Love hina but i would like to ask any one who have read any of this serie, is it as good as Love hina or is it crap. Just want to know befor ill go buy all of them
Old 2004-03-22, 18:16   Link #12
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
its crap- I hate it, i should not have bought it, i should have used on a better manga.

Last edited by Lst2touchdasky; 2004-03-22 at 23:29. Reason: keep reading
Old 2004-03-22, 18:31   Link #13
Ookla The Mok

it was made BEFORE Love Hina, not after

Negima was made after (and is still being made)
Old 2004-03-22, 19:04   Link #14
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
its crap- at least the first book was: ken has lost his touch after taking that break after love hina
Akamatsu Ken was a doujin artist under the pen-name "Mizuno Awa" as an university student. He sent numerous comics for review to major publishers during his second and third year at university. Finally, in his late third year, one of his comics was selected as a Rookie-of-the-year award on Kodansha. He was offered a serialization on Weekly Shonen Magazine - "AI wa Tomaranai" (or simply: "AI Toma). This was 1994.

His success with "AI Toma" is what nurtured otaku interest in the first place. It was like an otaku's dream story at the time: it combined the elements of "Video Girl Ai," (girl from VCR as opposed to girl from computer screen) "Aa! Megami-sama," (Belldandy, Skuld, and Urd as opposed to Thirty, Forty, and Twenty) and computer geeks - all aspects that were "otaku-coolness" back then.

"Love Hina," which was published after "AI Toma" became popular because - otakus who loved "AI Toma" knew Akamatsu Ken would be the next big thing - because his drawings of girls are very cute and moe~.

Hence, you cannot say "AI Toma" sucks and "ken has lost his touch after taking that break after love hina" because:
A. It was Akamatsu Ken's first manga as a pro
B. It is obvious to see shades of inexperience back then
C. This was a manga made years before "Love Hina"
D. You are reading a manga that was published and released in Japan ten years ago

As added info, Akamatsu Ken's latest work is called "Mahou Sensei (Magister) Negima!" which I assume is licensed by some company called Del Rey in your country.
Old 2004-03-22, 23:27   Link #15
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
Thank you for the facts, but the request was to ask your opinion, not to criticize mine. Your arguement is great and all, but we are not discussing or arguing, we're simply just helping some one else with our own point of views. Sorry if you love ken's work and my words offended you in any way- but if your opinion is different from mine, then just state it along with your facts. Even after your enlightening research- IMO the book is still crap, a major waste in $10.

I sincerely admit that my statement was wrong, and will edit my message to clear any more anger.
Old 2004-03-23, 01:26   Link #16
Kyuven
Bishoujo Goodness Galore!

i liked it personally
the style is a bit flimsy and it really does seem like a "first manga" but it's pretty appealing
plus it's funny to see all the outdated technology (how DO you store a complex A.I. on a computer with not even 1 gig of memory?)
Old 2004-03-23, 09:17   Link #17
e2-
Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuven
i liked it personally
the style is a bit flimsy and it really does seem like a "first manga" but it's pretty appealing
plus it's funny to see all the outdated technology (how DO you store a complex A.I. on a computer with not even 1 gig of memory?)
i am happy that at least one has liked it because i just bought it(vol1). well ill go and read it now
Old 2004-03-23, 12:41   Link #18
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lst2touchdasky
IMO the book is still crap, a major waste in $10.
Oh, okay I can agree with that. I didn't know the English language version of such an old manga can cost that much... That explain a lot since neither do I want to pay USD$10.

Over here "AI ga Tomaranai" cost about 388 yen for the original version and 429 yen for the remastered version. Of course, if you go to Mandarake (a used manga store), you probably find the original version in the 100-200 yen section.

Question: Do all English language version of manga cost that much or is it just "AI Toma" only?
Old 2004-03-23, 13:10   Link #19
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Tokyopop sells their manga titles for about $10USD each. Other companies
charge differently, usually between $10USD and $15USD.
Old 2004-03-23, 13:52   Link #20
e2-
Genius!

In finland all tokyopops mangas cost 12 Euros and Viz:s mangas 12 euros and almost all others about 24 fu*king euros
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, romance