AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2010-10-16, 17:59   Link #3801
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

I think Juvia is just the exception. Have you forgotten about Gazille?
Old 2010-10-16, 18:06   Link #3802
KrimzonStriker

He did lose to Natsu though so at best he's even with him, and if Gazille is their strongest member that pretty much sets the bar, I would have figured it was pretty obvious that the Phantom Lords themselves weren't anywhere near the level of their S-Class counterparts in Fairy Tail.
Old 2010-10-16, 18:10   Link #3803
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
I think that Natsu should lose. The only reason the fight isn't one-sided is because it would be pretty pathetic if Natsu lost in two seconds. In reality, Natsu is still substantially below Gildartz and there have been no indications that Gildartz is a stupid fighter so far, which means that logically, Natsu should lose.
Actually i think this chapter is kind of setting up the possibility for Natsu's victory...
Gildartz did say he was never good at holding back but he IS trying... in this chapter it seemed Gildartz was really frightened he went a bit too far and might have killed Natsu with his last attack... this does lend to the idea that he will be pulling punches which may lead to his defeat
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 18:22   Link #3804
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
He did lose to Natsu though so at best he's even with him, and if Gazille is their strongest member that pretty much sets the bar, I would have figured it was pretty obvious that the Phantom Lords themselves weren't anywhere near the level of their S-Class counterparts in Fairy Tail.
Yes, but I don't think that their S class is bad as Tempest said. While it is true that FTs S class is stronger, keep in mind that as with any manga, in FT, the bad guys get weaker and weaker in perspective. Best example I can think of is Dragon ball z. For exampwle, before we learned about Gildartz, luxus, and mistgun, weren't the Phantom Lords pretty powerful? But after all of these new characters are introduced, they look weak in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Actually i think this chapter is kind of setting up the possibility for Natsu's victory...
Gildartz did say he was never good at holding back but he IS trying... in this chapter it seemed Gildartz was really frightened he went a bit too far and might have killed Natsu with his last attack... this does lend to the idea that he will be pulling punches which may lead to his defeat
Still feel like it shouldn't happen. Even if Gildartz is holding back, Natsu is still weaker. In my mind, natsu defeating Gildartz would almost be tantamount to Natsu defeating the old man
Old 2010-10-16, 18:28   Link #3805
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennir View Post
Yes, but I don't think that their S class is bad as Tempest said. While it is true that FTs S class is stronger, keep in mind that as with any manga, in FT, the bad guys get weaker and weaker in perspective. Best example I can think of is Dragon ball z. For exampwle, before we learned about Gildartz, luxus, and mistgun, weren't the Phantom Lords pretty powerful? But after all of these new characters are introduced, they look weak in comparison.

Still feel like it shouldn't happen. Even if Gildartz is holding back, Natsu is still weaker. In my mind, natsu defeating Gildartz would almost be tantamount to Natsu defeating the old man
not really, Erza took out one of 4 Elementals and went toe to toe with Jose.

Grey beat Juvia
Natsu beat Gazille and the other fire guy
Elfman beat another of the elemental.

the phantom guild was never even close to power to FT.
Old 2010-10-16, 19:00   Link #3806
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer

Not even close? I think you might be exaggerating a bit. We already know that they aren't as powerful as FT but it's not like they got their asses kicked around. All of the battles were hard, and obviously FT won. What was mashima supposed to do? Make them lose?
Old 2010-10-16, 19:49   Link #3807
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

To anyone who thinks Natsu can't pull out a win against Gildartz:

Always remember the Gerard fight. :rofl:
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 20:32   Link #3808
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

The Gerard fight involved him eating Etherion, and getting his ass handed to him the entire time before that happened.

So unless he finds some Etherion laying around, or Gerard comes back and casts a super fire spell on him again, the power difference is vaster then the ocean at this point.
Old 2010-10-16, 20:37   Link #3809
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDragoon View Post
To anyone who thinks Natsu can't pull out a win against Gildartz:

Always remember the Gerard fight. :rofl:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
The Gerard fight involved him eating Etherion, and getting his ass handed to him the entire time before that happened.

So unless he finds some Etherion laying around, or Gerard comes back and casts a super fire spell on him again, the power difference is vaster then the ocean at this point.
basically

only way Natsu can win is if Gildartz makes a mistake and give Natsu something to eat that will charge him up. Otherwise Gildartz will mop the floor with him but will let go through if he shows a good effort.
Old 2010-10-16, 20:38   Link #3810
blewin

so many little Natsu.... it's hilarious! this reminds me of Naruto's clone technique, except in FT, the clones get reduced in size A LOT.

I've no doubt that Natsu will win, else how would the story continue? as to how would he win? porbably something along the line of both luck and strength combined. Maybe Gildartz acknowledges Natsu's power and strength at the end and finally manages to "hold back".

I think the likely pairs to lose would be Juvia's and Elfman's. The two most insignificant pairs since they aren't part of the main team. And I can't see Erza and Mirajane holding back... not them two.

wonder which lucky pair gets the easy path of not having to fight?

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 20:52   Link #3811
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

I think Gidaltz holding back will eventually cause him to hesitate and allow Natsu to win, or Gidaltz will go overboard and end up collapsing everything on himself, or dropping himself underground since Natsu and he are both effectively going to level the place they are fighting in.
Old 2010-10-16, 21:13   Link #3812
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
I've no doubt that Natsu will win, else how would the story continue?
By following the other characters?
unless losers must leave the island, there is nothing stopping him from taking his role in this arc when mystery guy shows up looking for him...
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 21:14   Link #3813
AlphaDragoon
Flame of the Dragonslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post

Moral of the story is, never count out the shounen hero asspull to secure a victory.
AlphaDragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 21:33   Link #3814
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
And also with this chapter, it pretty much states that Phantom Lord's S-class were crap spetacular. Juvia was one of their top four and she's getting her butt handed to her by Ezra, who's actually taking it serious on her. Mirajane in Demon Mode just speaks for itself, and if this is Gildartz in 'normal' mode, I can't imagine what sort of battle him vs Jose would have been. There's no comparison - Fairy Tail Guild bar none has the best.
Not necessarily. Remember what pissed Jose off was that in the space of a few years, Laxus, Mystogan, and Erza rose to prominence, with tales of them spreading to his hometown, and tales of Natsu spread throughout the kingdom. And for Mirajane keep in mind that she had enough trouble with a mission that her brother tried a Take Over he couldn't manage and apparently killed their sister while mindless. Furthermore, for all his rage against Fairy Tail, Jose praised Erza's skill as being on a level worthy of being one of the Ten Wizard Saints.

So I doubt that it's a matter of PL's S-class being crap. Rather it's that Fairy Tail's S-Class is abnormally strong.

As for Natsu defeating Gildartz, I figure that at some point one of Gildartz's artificial limbs will be broken. Either due to Natsu's actions or Gildartz own power. At which point Gildartz will give up because he'd rather go get a replacement limb than continue the fight. Natsu will be unhappy at winning due to luck, but will get to continue the exam.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 21:36   Link #3815
Xhokhusmak

yay epic fight for once
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-16, 22:15   Link #3816
KrimzonStriker

You know, speaking of the Ten Wizard Saints, I've been wondering about something for awhile. During the Tower of Paradise Arc where Gerard said Erza was not necessary as a sacrifice and was willing to kill her? He still had the Tower at that point and only chose to discard it after Natsu pushes him back in his blind rage. In that case, would it seem plausible to anyone else, since he still needed someone of the Ten Wizard Saints, if Gerard was in fact going to sacrifice himself to complete the process at that point? Just wondering on my part.
Old 2010-10-16, 22:22   Link #3817
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

I'd say Mashima's doing a good job of engrossing us in these battles to the point of almost forgetting Charle's premonition.
Old 2010-10-16, 22:49   Link #3818
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
By following the other characters?
unless losers must leave the island, there is nothing stopping him from taking his role in this arc when mystery guy shows up looking for him...
That'd be horribly anti-climatic.

The impression I get is that this exam will still continue on for a little bit before it takes the turn for the worst. In that case, it's more likely than not that Natsu will advance, to keep the events... exciting, in a storytelling sense.

Besides, Gildarts has been hinted to have less motor control of his powers now than he normally does, and he'd probably hold back far more than he will want to else he accidentally turn mini-Natsu into atom sized Natsus. No point hinting that unless it's not going to be used as a device for Natsu's victory chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
You know, speaking of the Ten Wizard Saints, I've been wondering about something for awhile. During the Tower of Paradise Arc where Gerard said Erza was not necessary as a sacrifice and was willing to kill her? He still had the Tower at that point and only chose to discard it after Natsu pushes him back in his blind rage. In that case, would it seem plausible to anyone else, since he still needed someone of the Ten Wizard Saints, if Gerard was in fact going to sacrifice himself to complete the process at that point? Just wondering on my part.
Probably, he was far from being in his right mind after all, under Urtear's mind control.

Besides, the whole thing was a sham anyway simply to divert away the Council's actions. Thinking back, Urtear wasted so much potential resources and time just for a small diversion since the Tower of Paradise pretty much adds nothing substantial to the overall plan other than scrambling the Magic Council.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 00:37   Link #3819
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

I think Levy is going to be S-class
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-17, 00:49   Link #3820
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
That'd be horribly anti-climatic.

The impression I get is that this exam will still continue on for a little bit before it takes the turn for the worst. In that case, it's more likely than not that Natsu will advance, to keep the events... exciting, in a storytelling sense.
It can be well done too; floor crumbles, Natsu loses, he wanders around and meets mystery black death guy...the plot continues despite Natsu losing in the first stage.
Quote:
yay epic fight for once
I don't think this is the first time

About S-class mages: Erza took a nuke head-on AND battled a guild master on a 1v1 afterwards, Mistgun destroyed numerous bases single-handedly and Luxus had enough power to destroy an entire city during the fantasia arc. Totomaru and Sol were weak indeed, losing to normal mages and all, but Juvia, Aria and Gazille were strong in their own right...the latter crucified the shadow gear team, Aria had void magic, which imo was underplayed despite being very potent, and Juvia is still fighting hard despite getting her ass handed to her at the moment.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen