Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-05-14, 08:37   Link #21
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Huh, I'm sort of surprised that I haven't seen a storm of complaints about Oda dragging the fight out due to the whole 10-minute time limit thing (for the record, I'm not bothered by it personally, but I sure as heck expect others to be, lol ).
It depends on how long Oda drags out the fight between no-names and Doflamingo. If it is just a chapter, then I doubt there will be much complaint (it could even be fun), but if Oda takes two or even three chapters before the fight starts again, then yes I imagine there will be a great deal of complaint (myself included).

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrolyte View Post
I'm quite disappointed from that too but I was sure it will come to this someday. Well for now this is the first time when someone's haki runs out so maybe Oda was just out of ideas and used this concept because it will make things easier for him in the future(maybe).
It is a little weird, while you could say that Luffy has lost the will to fight, that is plainly not true (since he vows to defeat Doflamingo in 10 minutes). And physical exhaustion has never been a true deciding factor (a nearly dead partially unconscious Luffy was still able to knock out a bunch of Ice Wolves in Impel Down). So, I'm not quite sure what the limit is, especially since Luffy seems to indicate that he will be conscious and he can physically move around. So, the exact nature of his current disability is a little strange. Maybe he cannot mentally form his haki due to stress/mental exhaustion, but even that seems like a weak explanation.
Old 2015-05-14, 09:15   Link #22
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
It depends on how long Oda drags out the fight between no-names and Doflamingo. If it is just a chapter, then I doubt there will be much complaint (it could even be fun), but if Oda takes two or even three chapters before the fight starts again, then yes I imagine there will be a great deal of complaint (myself included).
Well... prepare to be disappointed. It would be bad storytelling for it to only be 1 chapter. There's too many variables at play for this Haki downtime to be squeezed into 1 chapter. My guess is that it will take 2-3 chapters minimum and the time will be taken up by Sabo/Luffy bro-talk, Sabo vs Burgess and more allies coming to protect Luffy (Kyros is definitely going to come). What Oda needs to do now is successfully deliver the tension in the next few chapters of Doflamingo's approach as well as 'something' else aside from the 3 things I mentioned before (whether it be plot related or backstory related).
Old 2015-05-14, 09:52   Link #23
kakakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Well... prepare to be disappointed. It would be bad storytelling for it to only be 1 chapter.
It's already a bad storytelling if Oda wanted to retain tension on Doflamingo approach while squeezing in all those things you mentioned. Because at this moment in time, flashback is already done as far as I am concerned. Sabo-Luffy talk can wait later. Sabo vs Burgess is already big enough itself to mislead the viewers from the current flow of the story. All those are more of misdirection than delivering the tension between the ongoing Luffy vs Doflamingo fight. Waiting is not equal tension.

One thing that can add more is that more people add on to pile of Doflamingo dispatch list just to show they're really done with his rule for good. That takes not more than a chapter to show (and Oda can pull that off).

(But man 10 minutes, that already killed the tension to me. Doflamingo vs fodder won't fill up that 10 minutes. I was personally glad there's Sabo vs Burgess going to happen.)
Quote:
Maybe he cannot mentally form his haki due to stress/mental exhaustion, but even that seems like a weak explanation.
I think exhaustion this time is the problem. Luffy looks like he was droopy and couldn't control even his rubber body.
Old 2015-05-14, 09:54   Link #24
danielevo

I have a feeling that Doflamingo will going frenzy in the next chapter.

And i wonder why CP0 not showing up ? Is it because they don't want Fujitora to know that they are involved with Doflamingo plan ? And after what happen in Dressrosa, i really want to know which ally they will choosen, whether they will be allied with Doflamingo and fights Fujitora or they will finish off Doflamingo themself. CP0 will have a very important role to end this mess i think.
Old 2015-05-14, 10:11   Link #25
Gilly

So Haki has limits? That's actually good news. It gives access to new heights.

I loved how Sabo jumped in. "Not my brother, you bitch!" But, you'd think Bartolomeo would be the first to jump in and protect his beloved Luffy-senpai? Shame on you, Bartolomeo!
Old 2015-05-14, 10:32   Link #26
itachi-san314

Decent chapter. I like the idea of Burgess wanting to collect either Luffy's or Mingo's DF. And I'm glad Mingo is still kicking. The climax of last chapter seemed just like Oda's lie about Law being dead which I'm not a fan of. I don't see the point of Oda making a grandiose statement only to take it back the very next chapter.

I'd like to see Mingo start actually killing people, but like marvelB said, Fujitora will probably step in. At this point it's possible that Luffy doesn't get a second chance. Fuji could take Mingo in to Marine HQ and Zoro could end the Birdcage. It's kind of silly for Luffy to proclaim that he can end the fight in one move. Why didn't he just use that mystery move last time? It's not like the stakes could be any higher.
Old 2015-05-14, 10:36   Link #27
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I'm certainly not surprised. Luffy's new techniques tend to have a side effect and consequence to them until he can adapt to it. Seems like this is kind of in the middle of downsides between gear 2nd and 3rd. Just needs a bit of time to recover before he can continue to fight. It just takes time to get used to extreme new techniques like that. He finally got past the weaknesses of the 2nd and 3rd gears, now he's got to work on this new one as well.

At least we've got enough going on. Zoro can deal with the cage, Sabo can deal with Burgess, and the soldiers can try to deal with Doflamingo. Still a lot going on.
Old 2015-05-14, 11:51   Link #28
akumaten

I can't believe no one has seen the obvious. Normally we see Luffy (and normally others) use Haki in short bursts. This the first time we seen Luffy use Haki in a long term situation. I suspected that Gear 4 would run out of gas sooner or later
Old 2015-05-14, 12:28   Link #29
itachi-san314

I find it really cool how Mingo didn't say a word all chapter. I'm pretty excited to see what he says and does next. Very good buildup there.
Old 2015-05-14, 13:07   Link #30
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Damn, ten minutes!? That's like DBZ's Frieza's 5 minutes proclamation but two times longer!!!

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Old 2015-05-14, 13:33   Link #31
Belise
Rokushiki User
*Artist

^Like I said, Dressrosa will end this fall!

I love that announcer Gatz. Came from out of the woodwork faster than anybody lol.

Starting to get over these Gears. I think it would be really awesome if Luffy could kinda tap into the abilities featured in each gear, without totally changing his appearance or exhausting himself. Like using similar attacks that aren't quite as powerful instead of over-the-top transformations. He could compensate for the lost speed and power by mastering haki. That's a lot better than killing yourself for a period of time trying to finish things in short bursts.
Old 2015-05-14, 13:40   Link #32
J4n1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belise View Post
^Like I said, Dressrosa will end this fall!
Ah, optimism, i remember it well...
Old 2015-05-14, 13:46   Link #33
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Trebol was also there, true, but he was pretty much a non-factor in this fight. He did nothing to considerably hurt Law or Luffy. The same can't be said for Law, who had a much bigger impact on the fight.

Also, it doesn't matter how badly Doflamingo got kicked around by Gear 4th, if he's not done yet. Gear 4th messed up Luffy just as much as it did Doflamingo, if not more. Doflamingo is still able to smile, walk around and keep the birdcage up. Luffy is a freakin' wreak right now, and he's dependent on the help of others. Even with Law's help, he was not able to defeat his enemy. And if it wasn't for the colosseum fighters and Sabo, Mingo could kill him right now.
Old 2015-05-14, 13:51   Link #34
ri0

^Edit: I see it the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGoten View Post
YES! The chapter is out and I love it!
Seriously, that was my first reaction as well... There are so many panels I simply love.
The one when Gear 4th fades away and Luffy smashes into the mountain. The one where he tries to stand up and falls down again, Doflamingo's smile while seeing that and Doflamingo descending like an angel of death...
Holy f*ck, this was simply amazing!

Burgess going after Luffy and Sabo helping him was quite obvious as both were heading to Luffy's direction.

On another note, I also want to point out that Doflamingo was really underestimated too much on this forum. This guy is insanely strong and isn't a Shichibukai for such a long time for nothing.
I still think it's okay for Luffy to receive help (Of course it's help grey - even it they delay Dolfamingo for only a second) because the guy he is facing is just a freakin' monster.

Also this chapter erases any doubts, that Luffy needs Haki to use Gear 4th.

Seriously I love this Arc - it's simply amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma
Ever since Luffy has used Gear 4, Doflamingo hasn't been able to keep up with him - he's getting thrashed left, right, and center. And to be fair, Trebol interfered in the fight before when Luffy was seemingly getting the upper hand without Gear 4. Despite the damaged internal organs, Doffy seems to be doing just fine (it's as though his strings have fixed him up relatively well). Plus there's the fact that Luffy didn't start this fight at 100% since he had to go through all those coliseum fights and contend with Doflamingo's obstacles on the way.

With all that being said, there really isn't anything indicative of Doffy being too much for Luffy. Stronger? Perhaps. But Luffy is definitely a worthy contender here.
Luffy definitely is a worthy contender. But in my eyes, Doflamingo is clearly stronger. He also was fighting before this encounter (Law two times, Sanji, Kyros a little bit) and Doflamingo evaded or blocked most of Luffy's attacks before Gear 4th. After Pound Man was activated he turned into a punching bag, but still, Luffy wasn't able to take him down. He calmly analyzed Luffy's every action and would be able to easily kill him now - no questions asked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by akumaten
I can't believe no one has seen the obvious. Normally we see Luffy (and normally others) use Haki in short bursts. This the first time we seen Luffy use Haki in a long term situation. I suspected that Gear 4 would run out of gas sooner or later
Well, Luffy said it himself, so it was kind of obvious...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314
I find it really cool how Mingo didn't say a word all chapter. I'm pretty excited to see what he says and does next. Very good buildup there.
His silent approach made him even more scary!
Old 2015-05-14, 13:54   Link #35
imza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
His current skills are balanced for that very reason. Luffy may be a D. but he's a pretty ordinary guy, it only makes sense for his powers to have limits. Losing all his willpower for 10' should leave him susceptible to any kind of haki attack, so it pretty much certifies his defeat if he can't win.

As for this fight: colosseum soldiers perish in a few seconds, Sabo holds out for the rest of the fight and Luffy saves him just as the ten minutes pass. WTF @ splash page, is Law mortally afraid of bread?
I seriously doubt Sabo would need to be helped in this situation.

I'm curious how Oda will play this, Burgess should not be a match for Sabo and from their earlier interactions even before Sabo got the fruit, Burgess was outclass. On the other hand, Doffy would not be a cake walk for Sabo but Doffy is pretty badly beaten up so it would be cheap to have Sabo just take him out right now.
Old 2015-05-14, 16:39   Link #36
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

whoa... lots of death might happen in next chapter
fourth gear really give a horrible effect on Luffy's body

and seems like Sabo-niichan is confirmed to be Luffy's eternal watcher like Ace did... He would always show up whenever Luffy is in danger
time to kick some sense to Burgess
Old 2015-05-14, 17:20   Link #37
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
so.....Haki is some sort of energy? Like a concept of chakra (Naruto) and reiatsu (Bleach)? Not just based on the user's spirit?
I see no reason why it can't be both energy and willpower. Having a strong will doesn't mean that you have infinite stamina or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravagerblade View Post
Damn, ten minutes!? That's like DBZ's Frieza's 5 minutes proclamation but two times longer!!!

Just you guys wait, Oda will drag this out to the max by focusing on everybody's actions during each individual microsecond, like what HxH did when Gon and co. invaded the king's palace in the ant arc.
Old 2015-05-14, 17:33   Link #38
itachi-san314

I wonder if the 10 minute wait is funny to Oda. Like an inside joke or something. He must know it's an anime trope now that when a seemingly short deadline is set, it takes an ungodly amount of chapters to cover.
Old 2015-05-14, 19:35   Link #39
ri0

Quote:
Just you guys wait, Oda will drag this out to the max by focusing on everybody's actions during each individual microsecond, like what HxH did when Gon and co. invaded the king's palace in the ant arc.
Hahaha, I'd literally piss myself
Old 2015-05-14, 21:25   Link #40
P_Dezz

Quote:
I see no reason why it can't be both energy and willpower. Having a strong will doesn't mean that you have infinite stamina or anything.
That's not likely the case, because most of the individual storylines have ended in Dressrosa. The only thing left uncovered is CP0's whereabouts right now. Burgess and Sabo will have their little fight but I'm sure it won't be much. Sabo and the revolutionaries have clearly a lot of things to tell about their mission/purpose, but I'm sure it won't be till this arc is over. Though I do think that now would be a perfect time to get some introduction into Kaido's underlings.
Closed Thread