AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 54 31.21%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 51 29.48%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 43 24.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 19 10.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.89%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.58%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-10-06, 23:55   Link #41
Lost

"Uguu~ I can't see them!" LOLOL. Marvelous episode with Marvelous Ayu, whose Hunger is really such a complicated and long story. I so agree with her. Anything to quell that hunger.

Okay, this is the slowest OP I've had the privilegde of enjoying. Me thinks its due to a mix of the slow slow singing and the slow slow movement in the scenes. Even Gankutsuou's or NTHT's OP can't beat this for that slow, lumbering feel. Delightful.

I got goosebumps at the prelude to the episode, before the OP, and I'm not one who has played the game or watched Toei's version. It was really because of the instumental, almost midi-like, version of the OP theme (which I really really like) playing in the background. Delightful.

Hmm. Hospitals. A red sky. Greyish-black vista of a forest field. A girl who just notice she got wings, carries no money, and has no sirname. I'm starting to like this already. Delightful!
Old 2006-10-07, 00:24   Link #42
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanna View Post
Well, remember AIR came after Kanon and they're both by the same company, so similarities are inevitable.

So far it's looking better than Kanon 2002. At least they kept the original OP/ED. As for the actual episode... it's Kanon after all. First episode is the same.

As for fansub group, I recommend a.f.k.'s release. Strato does a good job and there's no karaoke!
I'm going to keep both Eclipse's and a.f.k.'s versions as well as the Raws.
Old 2006-10-07, 00:30   Link #43
LCeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanna View Post
Well, remember AIR came after Kanon and they're both by the same company, so similarities are inevitable.

So far it's looking better than Kanon 2002. At least they kept the original OP/ED. As for the actual episode... it's Kanon after all. First episode is the same.

As for fansub group, I recommend a.f.k.'s release. Strato does a good job and there's no karaoke!
I downloaded both a.f.k. and SS-Eclipse's version, and I prefer SS-Eclipse's, one because of the video encode, I think the coloring done by SS-Eclipse suits the series more, and two, cause they actually wrote down "Uguu~", a.f.k. just left it blank when she says it.
Old 2006-10-07, 00:58   Link #44
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I loved "Last Regrets" from the first series and definitely think that it's a major improvement for the OP over the previous one which sounded too much like the Bee Gees for me. So far, I love the game music. Do you think that the rap song from Prelude will be in the series?

Also...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-10-07, 00:59   Link #45
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

Wow, the height difference for (k)Yuuichi is pretty significant compared to the Toei one. Although I kind of liked the uniqueness of Toei-Yuuichi. It's weird, but this one seems LESS sarcastic, which I wasn't expecting, . He didn't give that snarky line about Nayuki's track teammates being snails that I was anticipating...

I have a lot of emotional attachment to the Toei presentation, and yeah, I really thought the frog clock was important for that one Nayuki scene near the end of the story, but we'll see how it goes. I can't deny Kyoto's sakuga animation can't be beaten, and the backgrounds are feature film-quality, as to be expected from them. Some of what they are doing feels a little more heavy-handed somehow, but I dig a lot of the details that weren't in the early Toei version like the origin of the name "Ayu-ayu" and the mention of the barley field the school was built over...it's awesome they have 26 episodes to work the story out this time, and perhaps deal better with the multi-branching stories of the original game better this time around.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:03   Link #46
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Yes. The rich and pulpy drink that... Misuzu loves so much. (sniffles)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-07, 01:05   Link #47
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenOhki'sRage View Post
I miss the oversized frog clock. The cat clock just isn't the same. And frogs are definately more Nayuki.
It did make me laugh, though, because the frog and the cat basically switched places...in the original version, the sign on Nayuki's door was shaped like a cat, and she gave Yuuichi a frog alarm clock; now the door sign is a frog and the alarm clock is the cat:

Old 2006-10-07, 01:07   Link #48
orion

So what was in the game a frog clock or a cat clock?
Old 2006-10-07, 01:08   Link #49
Jaruromania

I must say, I was slightly disappointed, although the episode was certainly not a bad one.

My first and chief complaint is the very first scene in the series (or at least, the first scene in the game), when Nayuki finally arrives after Yuuichi is sitting in the cold waiting for her. In the Toei version, it was a very powerful and moving scene, even with the poor quality animation, and moved at a slow and relaxing pace, projecting a feeling of calamity. The KyoAni version seems to slightly rush through this scene, in which the characters' lines come right after another's, whilst in the original, there was a necessary silence between each line in order to keep the scene at a calm pace and really made it a powerful and moving scene (in fact, one of my favorite scenes in the whole story).

I also have some nitpicks with the seiyuu work. Kouda Mariko seems to be approaching Nayuki's voice in a slightly different way. In the Toei version (and the game as well) she delivered a very characteristic and lazy sounding voice. In the remake, she seems to switch to a more conventional sounding voice, which seems to change Nayuki's character as a whole. Whereas Nayuki was previously a slow, naive, but caring and kind girl, she now seems to be someone with more assertion and possibly slightly more outgoing as well. I am pretty sure I'll get used to her voice eventually, but I'm not sure I really like the change in character of Nayuki. Kouda's new approach to her voice is not entirely a bad thing, but I must say, I really, really enjoyed sleepy-sounding Nayuki in the original.

Sugita Tomokazu, although a very talented seiyuu, doesn't provide the same kind of feel for Yuuichi than Kisaishi Atsushi did. Yuuichi is quite an outgoing character, serious occassionally, but other times is somewhat sarcastic and playful. Now, we know from Suzuharu that Sugita is perfectly capable of injecting sarcasm into his voice (in fact, he is very good at it), but the playfulness seems to be lacking a bit. Also, I can't get used to the fact that he is actually Yuuichi; I am always hearing a Kyon/Rin out of him. I don't know whether logistical reasons or merely a decision on KyoAni's part caused Sugita to replace Kisaishi as Yuuichi, but I personally thought Kisaishi was a better fit for Yuiichi.

Horie Yui was absolutely fine as Ayu. No bones to pick about her.

I also wasn't quite fond of the pacing. The very first scene seemed to go by too fast for me, and the transitions between scenes didn't feel entirely smooth. There never seemed to be a reason given for Yuiichi's staying at the town, whereas in the original version (and I believe the game as well), it was immediately revealed why he was to stay at the town. IIRC, Ayu is introduced earlier in the remake than either the original or the game, and I thought her introduction was somewhat premature. I really liked what the original storyline did, which was to generate a good feel for Nayuki, her life, her friends and classmates, and Yuuichi's personality before introducing another character.

Now, onto the aspects I enjoyed. First is the animation, which is nothing short of wonderful. Backgrounds are lush, detailed, and gorgeous, and character designs are really good as well. Colours are vibrant and the whole vast world is absolutely stunning. A huge step up animation-wise from the original (no Yuuichi chin of death anymore!).

OP and ED themes were both really good. OP and ED animations also fit very well with the song, and I especially enjoyed the slow but somewhat synthetic feel of the OP. Also, it was nice to see an Ayu featurette in the ED. Background music stuck faithful to the original game soundtrack. The music played in each scene is nearly identical to the music played in the corresponding scene of the game, and really fit with what is going on. Seeing as how the game soundtrack is excellent, keeping all the original tracks was definitely a good move on KyoAni's part. My only slight gripe is that one of my favorite tracks from the original series, "Nayuki's Theme," is no longer there, but the wonderful game soundtrack more than compensates.

I really liked the subtle hints and foreshadowing done throughout the series.

Spoiler:

I was incredibly disappointed in the very beginning (mainly because of the very first scene), but became less so as the episode continued on. Some scenes were done incredibly well. The Ayu-wing-turn-around was more hilarious than ever, the childhood "flashbacks" more touching than ever, and the happenings between Kaori and the blonde boy (I can't seem to recall his name) were quite interesting. Overall, certainly not bad, although I would definitely prefer Kouda's old voice acting style and Kisaishi back. Great animation and music really brings Kanon to life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
So what was in the game a frog clock or a cat clock?
Frog clock, IIRC.

[EDIT] Augh, I completely missed an obvious reference!

Last edited by Jaruromania; 2006-10-07 at 01:31.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:16   Link #50
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Well there's also the change with Nayuki not giving Kyuichi a can of coffee during the opening. However I am not really bothered by that. I agree with you about Nayuki being ... somehow on a faster tempo than before.
(In the manga, Nayuki also gave Yuiichi a can of coffee)

Kyuichi feels more mature somehow than the chin of death Yuuichi.
(and... Makoto is there in ep1... can't go into it though.)

*I suddenly feel kinda bad about how much scrutiny KyoAni is facing, and we're only talking about episode 1!

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-10-07, 01:19   Link #51
Jaruromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Well there's also the change with Nayuki not giving Kyuichi a can of coffee.
I recall that being in the Toei series, but I don't think it was present in the game. Hence, not really a "change."
Old 2006-10-07, 01:21   Link #52
orion

Maybe Nayuki sounds different because they wanted a more modern feel for the female lead. Being "slow, naive and caring" won't go far nowadays. She'd be relegated to the cliche pile imo. Also, maybe her role in this version requires her to be more more assertive and out-going. She seems more sisterly in this episode. She is the captain of a sports team which hardly fits the Toei version of Nayuki that you described imo.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:23   Link #53
Minoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaruromania View Post
I really liked the subtle hints and foreshadowing done throughout the series.

Spoiler:
Spoiler for Game Spoiler:

Last edited by xris; 2006-10-07 at 11:48. Reason: Please make sure you clearly mark game spoilers! Read the first post of this thread!
Old 2006-10-07, 01:23   Link #54
Lost

Is Kyuichi another version of Yuuichi? And what's this about chin of death?
Old 2006-10-07, 01:25   Link #55
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is Kyuichi another version of Yuuichi? And what's this about chin of death?

Check for screen shots of the Tomei version of Yuuichi and you'll understand. It was really bad.

Old 2006-10-07, 01:26   Link #56
Jaruromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is Kyuichi another name for Yuuichi? And what's this about chin of death?
I believe Kyuichi = Kyon + Yuiichi. It's most likely a joke aimed at the fact that Sugita Tomokazu is yet again voicing the lead character in a KyoAni production.

"Chin of death" refers to the original 2002 Toei production, in which Yuuichi was animated quite poorly, and had this...really pointy chin (which seems to lead to Jay Leno references and jokes).
Old 2006-10-07, 01:27   Link #57
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Aaaaaaargh. I wasn't going to even give this a chance, since I didn't like AIR or the first version of Kanon, but I heard Last Regrets and that sucked me in, at least for this first episode.

First and probably the last episode, that is. Animation is an A+, as is expected with KyoAni. Rich colors like AIR, very fluid, lovely in general. The art has also been stepped up a notch. I don't know who designed the characters for AIR and Kanon, but their faces were so bizarre they looked like alien moe flounders. KyoAni had the good sense to tone this down in this case. The proportions are also nice, eheh.

I don't know why I was expecting something different than the first Kanon series. Call it a lapse of judgement or naive hope. Key sucks. The dialogue is not good. Like AIR, it's "Dream dream dream. Uguu dream uguu memory uguuuuuu." The girls are all infant and helpless, except, of course Yuuichi, because he exists to comfort them and solve all of their problems. Knowing Kanon's genesis as an eroge, whether or not Key actually intended it to be that way, it's disturbing. So baffling how so much could be right with these series, and then something so crucial as characters is left up to interns whose only charge is to make them "cute and tragic."

And as usual, when you neg rep me, leave your name.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:27   Link #58
suguru
京都 ikitai~

I loved the Toei version of Kanon so this had a high bar to clear, but Kyoani didn't disappoint. The animation quality was just amazing, as expected, and since I already liked the story and characters getting to see them again with the quality kicked up a notch was just awesome. The character designs being closer to Air's than Haruhi's was a bit disappointing, although I was prepared for it by the preview--while Yuichi looks like a high school student, the girls all look more like junior high students to me than bishoujo. But I shouldn't really complain, they definitely win versus the huge chins of the Toei Kanon characters. I was a little surprised by the same events happening in ep 1 as in the Toei version, although that was stupid of me since they're both based on the same game. I guess I was assuming Kyoani would try to make ep 1 really different from the Toei version's beginning to set it apart, but plot and pacing-wise it was very familiar, with a lot of the exact same lines.

On a side note watching Kanon always makes me feel nostalgic for snow...although where I live now there's pretty much zero chance of seeing any unless we go into one hell of an ice age.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:32   Link #59
justinstrife

Quote:
Originally Posted by suguru View Post
On a side note watching Kanon always makes me feel nostalgic for snow...although where I live now there's pretty much zero chance of seeing any unless we go into one hell of an ice age.

I hear ya. I live in San Diego myself. Snow is a foreign word in my dictionary.
Old 2006-10-07, 01:55   Link #60
Diedrupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas View Post
Aaaaaaargh. I wasn't going to even give this a chance, since I didn't like AIR or the first version of Kanon, but I heard Last Regrets and that sucked me in, at least for this first episode.

First and probably the last episode, that is. Animation is an A+, as is expected with KyoAni. Rich colors like AIR, very fluid, lovely in general. The art has also been stepped up a notch. I don't know who designed the characters for AIR and Kanon, but their faces were so bizarre they looked like alien moe flounders. KyoAni had the good sense to tone this down in this case. The proportions are also nice, eheh.

I don't know why I was expecting something different than the first Kanon series. Call it a lapse of judgement or naive hope. Key sucks. The dialogue is not good. Like AIR, it's "Dream dream dream. Uguu dream uguu memory uguuuuuu." The girls are all infant and helpless, except, of course Yuuichi, because he exists to comfort them and solve all of their problems. Knowing Kanon's genesis as an eroge, whether or not Key actually intended it to be that way, it's disturbing. So baffling how so much could be right with these series, and then something so crucial as characters is left up to interns whose only charge is to make them "cute and tragic."

And as usual, when you neg rep me, leave your name.
Sounds like you just have plain bad taste in anime. The Naruto threads are thattaway
Closed Thread