AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Steins;Gate

Notices

View Poll Results: Steins;Gate - Episode 24 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 123 57.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 53 24.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 9.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 3.76%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.35%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.47%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.47%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-26, 11:39   Link #181
Shadow5YA

Uh, keep in mind that it's far easier to fake Kurisu's death than Mayuri's. At the time Okabe saw Kurisu's body, she was nothing more than a stranger. Okabe freaked out, ran away, and used his cell phone. Also, the only threat to Kurisu's life was one person -- her father who ran away anyway.

There is no way Mayuri's death can be faked. Not only is she a childhood friend, but she died in a confrontation where there were multiple people who could have killed her. Moeka wasn't the only rounder there. There is just no way Okabe could have mistaken Mayuri's death.
Old 2011-10-03, 12:32   Link #182
Camus

Fantastic series, and I'm actually glad it had a happy ending. Too many anime out there with bitter sweet of just plain sad endings and honestly life can be depressing enough as it is there is no need to leave you with that void.

10/10, I hope they don't change the ending on the movie or the special.
Old 2011-10-05, 08:48   Link #183
akinkhoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I'm totally confused about this ending...
1) Shouldn't there be like 3 Okarin's by now? After all he had already physically traveled in the past and his actions left a mark... so where the hell is 2nd Okarin? What happened to him? It weren't just memories that got transfered!

2) How exactly faking the death actually changes anything? I don't see any difference from what he did with Mayuri. Makise could easily get crashed by something at that point, like some heavy box falling on top of her while she is uncossiouse =/

3) Shouldn't they change the time lines again? After all this time Okarin will text again to inform about Makise's "death" what had activated time machine last time. And as far as I understood, he threw it out after the incident. If he did it before the incident than he could not travel back in time together with Suzuha.

The last scene reminded of Butterfly effect.

On a side note, the whole Okarin/Makise love thing seemed forced... they were always on friendly bases and then suddenly Okarin declares his love to her... especially after he spent so much time trying to save Mayuri... It felt the same as in Kanon with Yuuichi and Ayu =/
I agree it troubling...

1. let assume it a plothole. or that the time machine is able to somehow able to re-establish itself in the universe he has not visited, unlikely but than the divergence meter shouldn't actually work if it could not maintain a "reference" universe. so there is something funny about the technology.

2. the difference is probably because Mayuri need to die because if she live, the device Makise build that depended on CERN's time travel experiment may not exist, because they were going to stop time travel from being developed. Makise is different because regardless of her living or dying, time travel would be developed. Okarin had to make sure HE would developed it if not her to break the parodox of dependency...

3. they did. the other him would still go to A line before catching up with them in B line. he must experience those 3 week and that was the point.

all in all it still a plothole that trouble me too, but I still enjoy it.

I think Okarin gave in because he fear losing her. that she did the most to try and help him, this guy got alot of gulit trip
Old 2011-10-14, 19:15   Link #184
Zefris

Just finished this wonderful series! I'd probably be happier if the ending were a bit more intimate. The way how everything paused for a few lines they both said made it felt like they were conveying their thoughts to themselves rather than saying it directly to one another, which would have been sad if it turned out like that! But, great series overall. Easily my favourite one this year. ;D

Is anyone looking at Okabe's quote "bring chaos to the world" in new light by the end of the series? Suzuha has said that the Steins Gate world line is an unpredictable and unknown future that hasn't been seen by anyone, so I saw that as unorganized and chaotic (in the sense that its not predetermine). So, what Okabe has always been saying is, "I will save the world!" ;O

There is a part at the end of the series that's confusing for me, though, you can probably get away with it by saying its a slightly different world line. The part at the end where Okabe goes back and time, fails, and returns to get a call from his future self. That kinda implies that his future self has gone back in time and fails himself, so he has dedicated his life on coming up with a plan for his past self. That also means, Suzuha must have came back on that day for his future self in order for him to have known of his failure. The confusing part is that Suzuha knows that she has to go back on that day for the "present" Okabe because the "future" Okabe has told her to. But, why would Suzuha need to go back on that day for the "future" Okabe? Considering that the "future" Okabe failed, he didn't get any help like the "present" Okabe did.

Quote:
I'm totally confused about this ending...
1) Shouldn't there be like 3 Okarin's by now? After all he had already physically traveled in the past and his actions left a mark... so where the hell is 2nd Okarin? What happened to him? It weren't just memories that got transfered!

2) How exactly faking the death actually changes anything? I don't see any difference from what he did with Mayuri. Makise could easily get crashed by something at that point, like some heavy box falling on top of her while she is uncossiouse =/

3) Shouldn't they change the time lines again? After all this time Okarin will text again to inform about Makise's "death" what had activated time machine last time. And as far as I understood, he threw it out after the incident. If he did it before the incident than he could not travel back in time together with Suzuha.

The last scene reminded of Butterfly effect.

On a side note, the whole Okarin/Makise love thing seemed forced... they were always on friendly bases and then suddenly Okarin declares his love to her... especially after he spent so much time trying to save Mayuri... It felt the same as in Kanon with Yuuichi and Ayu =/
1) Suzuha said (in the game or anime) that its not a problem because the world line they're going back again is slightly different. I didn't pay attention to that though, so I'm not sure of the details (if there are any).

2) Assuming that the world's goal is to make Okabe enter the beta world line at that point in time, it decides to kill Kurisu for that to happen. So, the important part is that Okabe saw Kurisu in a puddle of what he believes is her own blood and thinks she's dead. Therefore, everything he does afterwards would be the same, thus not changing the result of Okabe going to the beta world line and all the events that would happen afterwards. In Mayuri's case, maybe the world just wants her dead.

3) Mmm... I don't remember this part...

Last edited by Zefris; 2011-10-14 at 19:47.
Old 2012-04-03, 12:48   Link #185
Soverence

Quote:
I think Okarin saw Mayuri as more of a very close Sister, I never got the feeling he loved her that way, she was in a sense the only family he had, which is why he tried so hard to save here not realizing till the very end what he would have to sacrifice to do it. As for the Okarin/Makise love on Okarin's side it doesn't feel forced at all, he remembers all the things Makise did to try and cheer him up, to help him, all the debates and the fun that they had, it might feel a little forced on the Makise side just because of the fact that she isn't suppose to be able to remember any/much of it, or at least no where near as much as Okarin.
Old 2012-07-15, 17:40   Link #186
chaoticcranium

Hello everyone; I've been a lurker for a while now, but after finishing Steins;Gate like the slowpoke I am, I joined the forums in order to make some comments and observations about the ending of this excellent series. Let me know if I'm on the ball here.

First, Steins;Gate seems to be unique in that it possesses two different mechanisms for handling time paradoxes; perhaps the most clever element of this show.

1) World lines/attractor fields. The rules of these are described in detail in the show and they resolve paradoxes for those who do not have Reading Steiner from the perspective of everyone (both those who do and don't have Reading Steiner). If the past is changed in a way that causes paradoxes, the world line simply changes. Dramatic changes result in world line shifts that change attractor fields, which result in a different set of "fated events".

Sensing a world line change can only be done by someone with Reading Steiner, and only through D-mails (that is, sending messages rather than YOURSELF) through time. As far as I know, time leaps and time machines do NOT change the world line due to the presence of fated events; they're just a way of buying more time.

2) Conventional time continuity, which only applies to those with Reading Steiner, namely Okabe. As a traveller of world lines that benefits from his experiences across time, Okarin's journey can be thought of as a single linear course across time and worlds. If Okarin were to affect his OWN past (his subjective past, not necessarily the objective past) as a time traveller, his own experiences would be erased (actually, we don't know how paradoxes of this type work, but this is what is implied). This is why it was so important that Past!Okabe believe Makise Kurisu was stabbed - because that caused him to send the D-mail that started this adventure in the first place. Otherwise, he would erase his own alpha worldline memories key to his desire of saving Kurisu in the first place.

In the penultimate episode, Future!Okabe sent a "D-video" to Present!Okabe, prompting him to rescue Kurisu and destroy her time travel thesis without violating his own continuity. He succeeds in doing this in the final episode, and Okabe traverses attractor fields to Steins Gate (but, I'd like to call it the "gamma attractor field" for the sake of clarity). In gamma world, the thesis is destroyed, WW III never happens, Kurisu and Mayuri are alive, and Suzu never goes back in time so she won't be around for another 7 years.

One point of confusion is the presence and disappearance of Suzu throughout all of this. Yes, she's present in beta world but gone in gamma world since she's no longer a time traveller. But, when did the world line transition actually occur? How did she rescue Okabe after he stabbed himself? The way I see it, capturing the metal Upa and tasing Kurisu were necessary to change the world line, but the act of Okabe leaving in the time machine was also necessary, destroying the possibility of type 2 conventional paradox. Only when the time machine blasted through time was the world line changed, and that's when Suzu disappeared from existence (until she becomes born in 7 years).

That being the case, I guess Okabe must have somehow landed in the future in gamma, with a cross-world line stab wound, and some passerby helped get him to the hospital? I'm still a little confused on that one, I guess.

A second question remains: WHICH Okabe made it to gamma world??? I would argue it is Future!Okabe who actually sent the "D-video", since this is the only mechanism we know of to change world lines. My hypothesis is that the second Okabe left that time machine and the world line changed, Future!Okabe took hold of his consciousness, now having transferred to gamma. If I'm right, I think that might be the most goddamn clever thing to happen in this show, nay, ever. But there was no indication of that in the ending, which is why I'm hoping to see if you guys agree or disagree with me.

Last thing - Okabe should have given the Metal Upa he absconded with to Mayushi after all of that. Would have been a nice touch

Well, that's my opinion on how all of these shenanigans worked out anyway. I thought this was a thrilling, thought-provoking, laugh-inspiring, heart-rending opus of a series with a lovable cast and stunning audio/visuals. Besides a few silly moves he made throughout the show, Okabe Rintarou might just be the best goddamn anime/VN protagonist ever. And even just the innovative way this series played with time and handled paradoxes is enough to awe and astound a sci-fi geek like me. I never played the VN, but from what I've read from others who have, all studios should take note - this is how you properly adapt a VN.

This concluding episode was a satisfying (if a little rushed) end, but it was really the emotional drama of Episode 22 (and I almost never care about romances, but MakisexOkabe was played so very well, best VAs ever) and the climactic turn brought with Episode 23 that topped the series for me.

So, I'll join the hordes of honorary Future Gadget Lab members in this thread and give this show a 10/10. El Psy Congroo.
Old 2013-03-27, 07:36   Link #187
User68604
Disabled By Request

Great series. 10/10. It's been a long time since I've seen such a good show. Easily in my top 5.
Old 2014-01-09, 05:04   Link #188
GameBoy005

Smile

Was a complex story, but it was a great series until the end.
Definitely give it a 10/10.
Old 2014-05-05, 04:24   Link #189
Sensual Grizzly

I really like the fact that this somehow follows a circular narrative. How it all came together in this episode. All the little details, which happened in episode 1, where brought up in this one as well. It really show how deeply creators of the plot worked on this. It's breath taking.

I am really glad I watched this show and I could easily call this one of the best animes I have ever watched.
Old 2015-01-19, 14:26   Link #190
steinsgateanime

What happens to Kurisu from the Alpha line?

In order for okabe to save mayuushi he had to switch the world lines from the alpha line to the beta line. But as all of us who have finished the anime know that means that Kurisu will die. So when he switches the world line to beta what happens to kurisu from the alpha line? Does she cease to exist? Is she the same kurisu as the one who okabe saves from being stabbed?
Old 2015-01-19, 15:21   Link #191
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsgateanime View Post
In order for okabe to save mayuushi he had to switch the world lines from the alpha line to the beta line. But as all of us who have finished the anime know that means that Kurisu will die. So when he switches the world line to beta what happens to kurisu from the alpha line? Does she cease to exist? Is she the same kurisu as the one who okabe saves from being stabbed?
Watch the ova episode than movie after you are done with the anime.

And don't forget to play the Visual Novel game, it have a lot more info
(all age version.)
Closed Thread