AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Old 2020-10-16, 20:39   Link #121
grecefar

Well if I was throw again to that loop after everything it went throught I would be pissed for a while too. She is just seeing how things are or if there changes in this fragment and there is still 21 chapters to go so don't expect her to win at the first chance.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-17, 02:28   Link #122
Marina2

Remember that not every world is suitable for happy ending. In Matsuribayashi-hen, everything is close to perfect and gave a Rika a good chance to overcome her fate. This world....maybe not. Rika might decide to abandon it and wait for a better world.

In GOU the main antagonist might not even the same person.
Old 2020-10-17, 17:44   Link #123
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Remember that not every world is suitable for happy ending. In Matsuribayashi-hen, everything is close to perfect and gave a Rika a good chance to overcome her fate. This world....maybe not. Rika might decide to abandon it and wait for a better world.

In GOU the main antagonist might not even the same person.
Pretty sure every world could lead to a happy end if done right. The issue is just that it took her 96 times longer than Battler to figure out the rules of the gameboard.

Battler actually played his boards to the last bit, while Rikka basically just stops whenever it looks like it's a bad gameboard and then savescums up to whatever she did last.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-18, 08:17   Link #124
X207
Gamyūsa

is the new series a remake or a different situation to overcome? i havent seen the 2020 series yet.
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-18, 08:24   Link #125
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
is the new series a remake or a different situation to overcome? i havent seen the 2020 series yet.
It's a sequel that was initially disguised as a remake. Rika died as a teen and was sent back to June 1983 again. Current arc borrows heavily from the original first arc but has differences, some of them with major implications.
Old 2020-10-18, 09:28   Link #126
X207
Gamyūsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
It's a sequel that was initially disguised as a remake. Rika died as a teen and was sent back to June 1983 again. Current arc borrows heavily from the original first arc but has differences, some of them with major implications.
thank you for the reply, thats a bit of a spoiler but given i havent yet seen the series its to be expected. its not like the previous series was just a bunch of different scenarios of the same problem. se1 was a bit repetitive but se2 really tied it all in very well

it shouldnt be a problem for me. im not a fan of "enhanced"versions or one that is 90% the same previous series with a few new scenes added, RE zero im looking at you...
X207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 00:59   Link #127
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Comparison of old and new Usoda scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeMJd6SQ-eM

Man, the original's scene is scary.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 02:13   Link #128
Liddo-kun
is this so?

episode 3:

looks like Keichi is having some serious problems now...

well, and the waitress uniforms of the cafe are still so kawaii. ^^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 02:49   Link #129
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

I'd say it's down to a couple of things why the original is still better than the new one (although the new one is still great):

1. The original DEEN animation was more subdued, while the new animation has more saturated colors, so the original animation fit better on the setting. Not to mention all those birds that lose their shit and fly away after she screams.

2. Nakahara Mai's voice strained a bit on the new delivery, which made the DA sound higher pitched than the USO. The original delivery had more consistency in delivery.

3. Errr original bias I guess?
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 12:28   Link #130
maximilianjenus
[E]

The live action movie ( not the tv series ) shows how to really botch that line.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-19, 15:46   Link #131
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post

IMHO the old "USODA" is like a sudden punch to the face. It just completely knocks you out of left field when you least expect it.

On the other hand I feel like the new show has me feeling chills down my spine right from the get go which is why the "Usoda" feels like it lacks punch: it does, it lacks that sudden spike of tension from the original show.

The complete and sudden lack of background sound on the new scene ups the tension in a way that the music on the Deen adaptation just didn't do quite as good of a job in the old days. On the other hand, like others mentioned, the more subdued art style from the original show is in itself more conductive to building ongoing tension. All of these small changes in the surrounding tone of the scene and a different take on the line end up with the difference in effect.

But no arguments from me, that original "Usoda" line is punchy like few others can. I'm writing this a good minute or two after watching the clip and I still feel my heart rate elevated from the suddenness of the line on the original show. 10/10 delivery for that line.
Old 2020-10-19, 17:01   Link #132
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post
episode 3:

looks like Keichi is having some serious problems now...

well, and the waitress uniforms of the cafe are still so kawaii. ^^
The 7 Stakes of Purgatory would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I'd say it's down to a couple of things why the original is still better than the new one (although the new one is still great):

1. The original DEEN animation was more subdued, while the new animation has more saturated colors, so the original animation fit better on the setting. Not to mention all those birds that lose their shit and fly away after she screams.

2. Nakahara Mai's voice strained a bit on the new delivery, which made the DA sound higher pitched than the USO. The original delivery had more consistency in delivery.

3. Errr original bias I guess?
The only things that are better at the new one is the smaller pupils and rena's expressions. Other than that it's too cartoony, even for an anime.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.

Last edited by AC-Phoenix; 2020-10-19 at 17:18.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-20, 06:48   Link #133
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by X207 View Post
it shouldnt be a problem for me. im not a fan of "enhanced"versions or one that is 90% the same previous series with a few new scenes added, RE zero im looking at you...
Well, so far it is 90% the same. But the 10% imply we'll get new content at some point. Probably as soon as next episode.
Old 2020-10-20, 08:10   Link #134
Marina2

At the beginning of ep.2, I almost didn't notice that Rika woke up as Middle/High schoolgirl and changed back to the kid form after she talked with Hanyu.

Spoiler for Ep.4:

Last edited by Marina2; 2020-10-22 at 13:45.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-22, 17:05   Link #135
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was right, this episode was pretty much completely new. I'm putting it under spoiler tags, just in case (includes spoilers from the original anime):

Spoiler for episode 4:
Old 2020-10-22, 23:11   Link #136
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Oh at least Kei1 managed to stop her with that hit in the hea- oh shit.
Old 2020-10-22, 23:39   Link #137
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Huh well...

Spoiler for Episode 4:

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2020-10-22 at 23:55.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-22, 23:40   Link #138
rladls2121

Sorry, I don't have the courage to watch this at all. I'm too scared. I hate this.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-23, 00:30   Link #139
The Green One

When they cry series has the unreliable narrator trope featured pretty heavily. No telling how much of what happened was actually real.
Old 2020-10-23, 05:25   Link #140
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

After onidamashi arc, my assumptions are the following:
Spoiler:

It is worth noting that Keiichi was unconscious/in a coma for weeks considering his parents and Mion's reactions. The "two days" thing was a referrence to Mion complaining Keiichi was out of Hinamizawa for "ages" even if it only lasted 2 days. That's why he was like "huh, I guess it isn't 2 days this time".

As for my general opinion, I'd rather wait for the second and third arcs to have a proper take on Gou in general. It could be either some filler similar to PS2/DS arcs, or it could give a new spin. From my perspective, it seems Gou is giving a new kind of "enemy/rule" to Rika and how things can go extremely south.
As for the production values, I must admit that Gou had a weak execution when it comes to creepy stuff and the likes. Most scenes involving horror and thrills are pretty tame or badly timed/presented. I was pretty disappointed how Keiichi and Ooishi discussions were "talking heads" with little weight to the atmosphere, while Rena's usoda scene lacked a lot of punch because it couldn't let the mood sink (no transition from unsettling BGM to silence + crows flying away etc).
However, Gou gives more justice to the kids considering the club activities and banters are closer to the original story.

Design wise, it is fine although the color palette is a bit too agressive compared to the original.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2020-10-23 at 05:39.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote