AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2020-11-19, 07:41   Link #1561
Key Board
Carbon

I think Republican officials are afraid that Trump can still ruin their careers (and lives) with a tweet

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-11-19, 08:00   Link #1562
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I'd much rather have a TR like figure that anyone that has run since I started voting in the 90s.
The problem is, TR getting into office in the first place was a major mistake in terms of politics- my understanding is that the party made him VP because they didn't think he'd ever actually become President... then McKinley was assassinated.

Then add in the momentum of being an incumbent, and that's probably at least part of how he won the actual election. Because when he tried the Bull Moose Party, that failed horribly, splitting the Republican party and ultimately being responsible for Wilson (who ranks near the bottom of Presidents IMO) getting into office.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Old 2020-11-19, 08:34   Link #1563
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
The problem is, TR getting into office in the first place was a major mistake in terms of politics- my understanding is that the party made him VP because they didn't think he'd ever actually become President... then McKinley was assassinated.

Then add in the momentum of being an incumbent, and that's probably at least part of how he won the actual election. Because when he tried the Bull Moose Party, that failed horribly, splitting the Republican party and ultimately being responsible for Wilson (who ranks near the bottom of Presidents IMO) getting into office.
Not even close. TR won the 1904 election by almost 20 points, a massive landslide. When he left office in 1908 - honoring a promise he deeply regretted not to run for a second full term - he was wildly popular and could easily have won again. His sponsorship effectively handed the election to his chosen successor, Taft (another choice he later regretted).

As for 1912, you can't possibly say he failed, much less horribly, when he handily outpolled the Republican and did better than any third party candidate in history. Wilson's presidency was a mixed bag at best, but it was because of TR's popularity that the Democratic Party embraced progressivism and basically has been the progressive party for the last century.
Old 2020-11-19, 09:50   Link #1564
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
It's legal in many states, and I understand why. Ever since it became obvious that increased turnout favors Democrats, there's been a tug of war between voter suppression by Republicans, and efforts to get everyone and their dogs to vote by Democrats. That's how integrity of elections is gradually eroded and you end up with something that's neither fair or secure.
And why does increased turnout affect integrity at all? You keep making this nonsensical argument but have yet to present any basis for it. Just because something "feels alien" to you is not evidence of irregularity (or evidence of anything really).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The problem with evidence of fraud is that we only get it when somebody gets caught, which is not that often. So we can claim that fraud is rare and gets corrected every time.
That's not how it works. Trump tried this (blame someone for something ridiculous then ask the person to show proof of their innocence) and it was stupid even before him. The one with the accusation has to bring forth credible evidence for their claim or else it's just a fart in the wind.
Old 2020-11-19, 10:19   Link #1565
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Ah, the fine smell of bullshit first thing in the morning

Trump campaign asks Pennsylvania court to declare Trump winner

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...e-trump-winner

Next thing we will know is that after the electoral college declares him officially a loser, he will reguse to sign any new legislation and the government will go on shutdown, a petty little bitch is this orangutan.
Old 2020-11-19, 17:31   Link #1566
James Rye

That was insane what those people just said at that press conference. Totally insane.
Old 2020-11-19, 17:49   Link #1567
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

A representative of the President having a news conference like that as hair dye is raining down his face on rivulets is just emblematic of how far these people have driven our country into the ditch. It’s time for this insanity to end, but it can only happen if there are enough Republicans of conscience who put a stop to it. Well, good luck with that.
Old 2020-11-19, 18:43   Link #1568
Key Board
Carbon

Giuliani reminds me of a certain scene from a movie called "The Fifth Element movie"

reference: https://youtu.be/S-FVii-cRz4?t=50

//
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Old 2020-11-19, 19:37   Link #1569
cyberdemon

Wow Giuliani outright asked the pa courts to just give Trump the electoral votes...
Old 2020-11-19, 21:50   Link #1570
The Green One

So the current plan is hope that by shouting nonsense loudly enough it'll somehow become reality.
Old 2020-11-19, 22:36   Link #1571
Key Board
Carbon

The plan is to poison the well and make Trump voters doubt mail in ballots whenever they lose.

I don't think it's a new plan either. You can't count mail in ballots in advance, in some states. So, inevitably, this always gives ammo to create this kind of narrative and an excuse to no count mails that are processed late.

I suspect this is all a build up to the upcoming Georgia runoff election

//
Old 2020-11-19, 22:38   Link #1572
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

The plan is still to fix the Electoral College. Don't forget he's bringing the two leaders of the MI legislature to the WH to try and strongarm them. The looney-bin pressers and nuisance lawsuits are about delaying certification of results long enough to give legislatures a pretext to appoint rogue electors.
Old 2020-11-19, 23:40   Link #1573
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Imagine being so petty https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/polit...ion/index.html
Old 2020-11-20, 00:54   Link #1574
Johnny Dy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's a high bar. By some measures I think he could be judged the greatest president in American history.
Fist time I heard this, my face mimed "preposterous"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think Republican officials are afraid that Trump can still ruin their careers (and lives) with a tweet

//
Then, in this very next post it's perfectly explained why it's true: when Trump tweets something retarded, half the people glorify it as truth and the other half "it's just Trump". That may well be the greatest president ever, who can say whatever fucked up shit imaginable and easily get away with it.

Quote:
The plan is to poison the well and make Trump voters doubt mail in ballots whenever they lose.
Obviously that's why they demanded republicans to vote in person. But to be honest, I expected better, I mean worse from them. That's a stupid plan. What was the plan? Declare win after in person vote then dismiss nearly all of the mail-in ballots as malfeasance? Idiots...

Sometimes it is an easy thing for a man to cry out for retribution, until he himself has walked in the foot steppes of those suffering the penalty.
Old 2020-11-20, 01:33   Link #1575
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

If the election had been close enough it would have been their pretext to successfully steal it via the legislatures and courts.
Old 2020-11-20, 01:38   Link #1576
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:

I don't think it's a new plan either. You can't count mail in ballots in advance, in some states. So, inevitably, this always gives ammo to create this kind of narrative and an excuse to no count mails that are processed late.

I suspect this is all a build up to the upcoming Georgia runoff election

//
Here's to hoping Trump's supporters are so discouraged by that kind of talk they just don't vote.
Old 2020-11-20, 04:47   Link #1577
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
The plan is still to fix the Electoral College. Don't forget he's bringing the two leaders of the MI legislature to the WH to try and strongarm them. The looney-bin pressers and nuisance lawsuits are about delaying certification of results long enough to give legislatures a pretext to appoint rogue electors.
I think you're right. Whatever they're doing, is squarely aimed at the Republican legislatures.

If the plan was to fight in court, Rudy's rhetoric about sweeping conspiracies would only be detrimental, and it's already one of the reasons they're getting laughed out of the room by judges. And I think it was a big giveaway by one of the other lawyers, when she said it'd normally take years to litigate a massive case like this.

Pretty disappointing, because if they did their legal battle the honest way, it would actually have alleviated doubts that people have about the election.
Old 2020-11-20, 05:39   Link #1578
Sheba
Part-Time TTK & Master

Hugo Chavez have reached Light Yagami/Lelouch levels https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1329486814558752769
Old 2020-11-20, 07:46   Link #1579
cyberdemon

Georgia confirmed Biden’s victory after finishing the recount
Old 2020-11-20, 09:21   Link #1580
Galaxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdemon View Post
Georgia confirmed Biden’s victory after finishing the recount
This makes it what? The 9th time Biden wins Georgia?
Closed Thread