AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2004-04-09, 18:34   Link #1
xfordained
you should die

Which tablet?

ive been really wanting to get a tablet for some time now but i dont know which one i should get from the look of things i hear wacom is pretty good but i can only afford the graphire3 not the intuos2 is there anything really better between the two cause im either gonna buy the graphire or save soem more for the intuos or if u know any tablets that are good and are about 150$ price range it would also help
xfordained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 18:57   Link #2
emessen

i've had my graphire 4x5... thats right the orginal graphire not 2 or 3 for a little over 3 years...

it still does the job... i'd upgrade... but why bother when it still works flawlessly

just having a high quality top-notch tablet is not going to make you the best
graphics creator... depending on what u plan on doing get what suits u better...

are u just going to do it for fun? professionally? don't spend the extra money for
things you really wont know how to utilize and wont make much of a difference to
you...
Old 2004-04-09, 19:05   Link #3
Yama_Le_Rouge
I'm branded, I'm doomed

im using wacom graphir 3, haven't try another one, but i think it's good for a start. But if you can afford a better one go for it.
Yama_Le_Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 19:35   Link #4
xfordained
you should die

ok then graphire it is i was just worried since graphire has onlone 500 pressure points and intuos had double that . since im just going to be painting like yama it should be perfect . thx for the repiles
xfordained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-09, 20:29   Link #5
Yama_Le_Rouge
I'm branded, I'm doomed

500 pressur is enough for me ^_^ i think i still haven't reach it.
Yama_Le_Rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 19:03   Link #6
DukeGaladrien
Hopeless Baseball Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to DukeGaladrien
I'm thinking about getting a tablet so I'm gonna revive this thread. Can anyone give advice on what's a good size and brand to get as I've no experience with it. Just doing art for fun so I think I'd set my max money spent at $300, though I'll definately buy a cheaper one if it's good.

So any advice would be appreciated
DukeGaladrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 19:11   Link #7
treetrall-sama

Send a message via ICQ to treetrall-sama Send a message via MSN to treetrall-sama
I have a Wacom Volito Tablet. Works just fine...
treetrall-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 19:55   Link #8
Raxial
CG / Color

Send a message via AIM to Raxial
I've also got a Graphire 3. No complaints, although it took time to get used to as all tablets do. There is an advantage to a bigger tablet area though, so keep that in mind if you're willing to cough out some extra money for a larger work space.
Raxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 22:23   Link #9
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxial
I've also got a Graphire 3. No complaints, although it took time to get used to as all tablets do. There is an advantage to a bigger tablet area though, so keep that in mind if you're willing to cough out some extra money for a larger work space.
Yeah, the larger workspace really helps in drawing more precisely IMO verses drawing something really small and it "blows" up on the screen. Even if you set it to where you draw it to scale, I think you still have to move the canvas window to the tablet area to continue drawing. But it is because of that opinion that led me to using the Wacom 9x12 intuos2.
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 22:50   Link #10
DukeGaladrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginer
Yeah, the larger workspace really helps in drawing more precisely IMO verses drawing something really small and it "blows" up on the screen. Even if you set it to where you draw it to scale, I think you still have to move the canvas window to the tablet area to continue drawing. But it is because of that opinion that led me to using the Wacom 9x12 intuos2.

That's the one I was thinking of getting, even though it's a little over my planned budget. Might try to get a used one off of ebay.
Old 2004-08-05, 22:55   Link #11
Look

for a tablet under 150 dollars, i'd strongly suggest wacom graphire 4x5 (i guess graphire 3 is good, i only have graphire and it's still great)
for 300 dolars, get wacom intuos 6x8 (or whichever the size is between 4x5 and 9x12)
4x5 can be slightly small sometime, but 9x12 is way too big and take up lot of desk space.
Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-05, 23:02   Link #12
Raxial
CG / Color

that's what i have, the 5X4 Graphire 3. I have the border of the drawing area taped off with masking tape to remind myself how small the drawing area is...
Old 2004-08-06, 02:08   Link #13
DukeGaladrien

The only issue I have with getting a smaller one is that I have trouble enough as is filling in details on eyes and such on a full person sketch, I couldn't imagine doing it if I had to do it on smaller dimensions than a 8/12 x 11 piece of paper.
Old 2004-08-06, 03:59   Link #14
Raxial
CG / Color

gotta zoom a bunch, but if you can draw, you can probably draw with anything after you get used to it. As many said before, a great tablet isnt going to make you a great artist, although a terrible one will of course limit your abilities.
Old 2004-08-06, 07:12   Link #15
DukeGaladrien

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll probably get a tablet within a week.
Old 2004-08-06, 18:35   Link #16
Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeGaladrien
The only issue I have with getting a smaller one is that I have trouble enough as is filling in details on eyes and such on a full person sketch, I couldn't imagine doing it if I had to do it on smaller dimensions than a 8/12 x 11 piece of paper.
bear in mind, drawing on computer isn't exactly the same as drawing on paper. And like others mentioned, You'll be zooming in and drawing in a much larger scale. And instead of moving your pen around freely, you'll get used to limit your pen to a smaller area.
Bigger tablet size won't help with the details, it only helps if you like to do things with long strokes. For example, I often find it annoy with my 4x5 when I draw long stroke of hair or clothes, 'cuz the pen goes out of the tablet area easily. I never find it trouble when I try to draw the details though.

I wonder if there's any store near by that you can try it out, or if any of your friend has a tablet, so you can see what it's like to draw with it. 9x12 is really big, it's almost HUGE!!! XD
Look is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-06, 18:40   Link #17
Raxial
CG / Color

one thing that would be wierd is using a tablet PC, where like the whole screen is tha tablet. That'd feel waaaay too big.

But anyway, yeah, I often just use my tablet in place of a mouse and I lkinda know exactly where every point is. Like, if you wanna close a window, you eventually know instinctively where the top right of the pad is without looking. I have a feeling you won't be complaining about a 4x5, or else not many people would have them, would they
Old 2004-08-06, 18:54   Link #18
DukeGaladrien

Hehe good info. I think I'll compromise and get the 6x8. I didn't even think about the fact that you could zoom and everything (even though I did it a ton doing the CG of my one pic in photoshop).

As you guys were saying the 9x12 would be pretty unwieldy in the workspace around the computer, and hell that's a lot of extra money over the 6x8 anyways.

Also one other question with the tablet they provide a "4d" mouse or something along with the stylist. What the hell is that for?
Old 2004-08-06, 20:21   Link #19
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeGaladrien
Hehe good info. I think I'll compromise and get the 6x8. I didn't even think about the fact that you could zoom and everything (even though I did it a ton doing the CG of my one pic in photoshop).

As you guys were saying the 9x12 would be pretty unwieldy in the workspace around the computer, and hell that's a lot of extra money over the 6x8 anyways.

Also one other question with the tablet they provide a "4d" mouse or something along with the stylist. What the hell is that for?
It can act as a mouse for your computer replacing or in addition to say a cordless mouse which has ran out of batteries and you need to wait to replace (like my situation)

Of course, the 9x12 is big for most computer desks. (and alll of them don't provide a tiltable surface!) Thats why I built my own desk!!!
Imaginer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-08-07, 18:21   Link #20
Mika

I just got the Graphire 3. I think its great after less then a few hour I was using it pretty well. It is so much easier to get the results you want with it then the mouse.
Mika is offline   Reply With Quote