AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 120 51.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 60 25.53%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 10.21%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 5.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 3.83%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.43%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.43%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.43%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 2.13%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-05, 20:34   Link #161
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
...And Marcus just landed a bomb with the fewest lines possible, i can't fight against this solid argument.
I already replied here though.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:37   Link #162
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
I know that it's pointless to argue when it comes to personal preferences, but if anything, it's definitely the music that adds to the impact. I already talked about it before so I'm not going to go into details again how Maeda is a genius in that department, but yeah, just recall the BGM played during the scene when Otonashi signed the insurance card in last episode. That's his style of music. It's not epic epic as in sounding grand, but light music with highly suppressed feeling. If his style of music doesn't click with you, then it's just too bad, because I have yet to run into another composer who does better than him when it comes to that style.
I'm not talking about music taste, but the way BGM supports or sometimes fails to support the onscreen events. Hard to describe in words, but sometimes the point the BGM or vocals cut in feels odd, just seems a bit off to me. In past Key productions Meada was always credited togther with Orito and Togoshi. Now they aren't there and ABs music feels less integrated with the animation to me. Again may not be due to Meada at all, but caused by the director or technical aspects. I know it's subjective and I don't know enough the production process to pin point it but I feel something is not quite clicking.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:55   Link #163
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Agreed. Which is why I approve of the Otonade (well, now it's the Hinatonade) Alliance.
Why does that sound like a elemental grenade launcher.
Old 2010-06-05, 20:58   Link #164
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
I'm not talking about music taste, but the way BGM supports or sometimes fails to support the onscreen events. Hard to describe in words, but sometimes the point the BGM or vocals cut in feels odd, just seems a bit off to me. In past Key productions Meada was always credited togther with Orito and Togoshi. Now they aren't there and ABs music feels less integrated with the animation to me. Again may not be due to Meada at all, but caused by the director or technical aspects. I know it's subjective and I don't know enough the production process to pin point it but I feel something is not quite clicking.
Ah. Again, whenever music is involved, it's more or less personal perference, but I think most of the BGMs played in the show fit the corresponding scenes perfectly. The episode 9 scene I mentioned above is one of them, then the short one played during the scene where Takamatsu, Fujimaki, and Shiina throwing themselves onto Tenshi clones in episode 8 is another one.

As for this episode, I suppose you mean the song "Ichiban no Takaramono" played during the scene that we all have been talking about. I think the song is okay. I always say that in Key, Maeda Jun is the BGM genius, while Orito Shinji is the song genius (even though I'd pick Maeda for general case ). Some music is better to be enjoyed just as pure music and not to be meant to be sung, and Maeda's music is in that category (here's one good example: as much as I praise the ED "Brave Song", I do listen to its instrumental version alot more than the song). Some vocal version of his works do turn out very enjoyable too, like Natsukage, cise ek (vocal version of "cise kor" in 5's OST), but they are alot more enjoyable as BGMs. I hope you get my point.
Old 2010-06-05, 21:23   Link #165
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Why does that sound like a elemental grenade launcher.
Really? When I wrote it, I was thinking lemonade the entire time. Maybe I was just thirsty.
Old 2010-06-05, 21:55   Link #166
OkamiNoKaze

This was good episode. I liked the part with Yui and Hinata, it almost made me wonder if they were being pulled there from different instances in time. Like maybe Hinata had already been through that, and then ended up at the school, and Yui was just going back. Which still makes me think of the coma thing, that he is probably one of the few dead ones, that his memory loss is part of that. As far as for how long the people have been at the school, there's nothing to indicated that time is flowing the same speed in our world and theirs, could be like a dream, where it feels like lifetime, but it's only a few hours/days.
Old 2010-06-05, 22:14   Link #167
Raiza Sunozaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
This was good episode. I liked the part with Yui and Hinata, it almost made me wonder if they were being pulled there from different instances in time. Like maybe Hinata had already been through that, and then ended up at the school, and Yui was just going back. Which still makes me think of the coma thing, that he is probably one of the few dead ones, that his memory loss is part of that. As far as for how long the people have been at the school, there's nothing to indicated that time is flowing the same speed in our world and theirs, could be like a dream, where it feels like lifetime, but it's only a few hours/days.
I considered that for a while, the concept of a mixture of dead people and comatose people. but then I decided it would complicate things too much. Yuri believes that people who get sent there are dead, and Kanade's lines tend to indicate it's an "after the end of the line" sort of world, but there's plenty of evidence to support the existence of comatose people. I'm happy with the two different possibilities being ambiguous for now.
Old 2010-06-05, 23:40   Link #168
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

If AB world is the world of comatose. Then this episode would be a tragedy of its own. Genki Yui who could find fun in every action she have done in the world of SSS, now found herself waking up on bed, still half-body paralyzing.
The worst of all. Hinata is not there to take her, and never will, as long as he's still here.

*Turn on "Paradise Lost"*

It's terrible enough to not see her again. But please pass away instead of waking up, because it would be a less painful sight fot me to see.
Old 2010-06-05, 23:40   Link #169
Crontica

We had confirmation from Isawawa that she died in the hospital, everyone else is a big question mark. Sure Otonashi "may" have died in the tunnel but who's to say the hospital didn't save him and he died somewhere else.
Old 2010-06-06, 00:09   Link #170
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
We had confirmation from Isawawa that she died in the hospital, everyone else is a big question mark. Sure Otonashi "may" have died in the tunnel but who's to say the hospital didn't save him and he died somewhere else.
Otonashi did say "I remembered everything. The things happened when I died." If that's his misunderstanding then boo.

Yuri confirmed she's dead. She said she didn't commit suicide in episode 2 when Otonashi asked her how she died, which means she knows how exactly it happened. She also added "no one in this world committed suicide", implying she knows at least how quite a few others died. I have a feeling she knows how all or at least majority of the SSS members died.

Iwasawa... you mentioned it.
Old 2010-06-06, 00:20   Link #171
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
Otonashi did say "I remembered everything. The things happened when I died." If that's his misunderstanding then boo.

Yuri confirmed she's dead. She said she didn't commit suicide in episode 2 when Otonashi asked her how she died, which means she knows how exactly it happened. She also added "no one in this world committed suicide", implying she knows at least how quite a few others died. I have a feeling she knows how all or at least majority of the SSS members died.

Iwasawa... you mentioned it.

Otonashi is still a question mark, there may even be a 3rd part to his story because he didn't confirm his time of death in the flashback. With narration or a Sub Zero Chance of Survival situation

Since Yuri herself said she didn't commit suicide i guess that confirms the fact she knows she died, just not how she died. Time constraints gotta love them...
Old 2010-06-06, 01:04   Link #172
Ezilled

I personally have no problems regarding this episode except for Otonashi's flawed yet dumb plan together with Kanade; although, it still humorous and fairly enjoyable to watch as the neophytes have no idea that they were a tool for making Yui's dream a success. I really liked Hinata's confession and marriage proposal to Yui despite it seemed out of place and rushed. At the very least, the message from him to her accompanied by a background music were well done and definitely the best part from the episode. I somehow wanted to see her singing the new song on a stage to thank him, or a recollection from their antics and stuffs. Anyhow, who will be the new singer and lead guitarist of the GirlsDeMo? Despite of all the things happened in one go, I'm grateful that Irie, Sekine, and TK have enough lines to redeem themselves. Gotta love Irie's angelic voice and TK's awesomeness as usual.

It seems Otonashi's plan to help his comrade would be delayed due to the unknown shadow threatening the world. Yuri and the rest must face another obstacle leading hopefully to unravel the mysteries behind everything. Hope's up next week.

On a side note: I died when Kanade was carrying Yui's guitar and threw it without emotion.
Old 2010-06-06, 01:08   Link #173
Wrath88
Kissing...

Now that Yui's gone, all we have to know about how she died are theories. I'm probably guessing something happened to her mother, which affected Yui. But like I said, no proof to back that up.

When I saw the end, automatically I thought was 'the Matrix is breaking down'.
Old 2010-06-06, 01:09   Link #174
skyy54264

Quote:
Otonashi is still a question mark, there may even be a 3rd part to his story because he didn't confirm his time of death in the flashback. With narration or a Sub Zero Chance of Survival situation

Since Yuri herself said she didn't commit suicide i guess that confirms the fact she knows she died, just not how she died. Time constraints gotta love them...
I just rewatched episode 4. It looks like Hinata's coach killed Hinata. He gave him a pill for losing the baseball game and said that the pill would "calm his nerves".
Old 2010-06-06, 01:11   Link #175
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezilled View Post
Despite of all the things happened in one go, I'm grateful that Irie, Sekine, and TK have enough lines to redeem themselves. Gotta love Irie's angelic voice and TK's awesomeness as usual.
Yeah it was cute when Sekine run to Irie for shelter when Kanede barge in... More on these two please

I will go back watching that screen to ease my frustration then.

@skyy54264: It's confirmed that Hinata was killed by traffic accident through
Old 2010-06-06, 01:23   Link #176
Crontica

The LOST vibes in this show Broken plot points, Karmatic Game overs, Undisclosed Timelines. Are becoming all too apparent, is this Shadow Player going to be some timed occurrence that was set off by someones anger?
Old 2010-06-06, 01:27   Link #177
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

as the tired meme goes, coupled with the irony of eroge nature of KEY works... we've just lost the game, now you have to play.

Hinata's death is to a collision, although him being given stimulants might have either put him onto a path of destruction or it retarded his response to lead to that event, but that's too speculative.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2010-06-06, 02:12   Link #178
Ryalynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
I just rewatched episode 4. It looks like Hinata's coach killed Hinata. He gave him a pill for losing the baseball game and said that the pill would "calm his nerves".
Actually, he got hit by a truck.
Old 2010-06-06, 02:20   Link #179
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryalynn View Post
Actually, he got hit by a truck.
Tis true. In the novel short stories it reveals that Hinata was hit by a truck. Whether he actually died or is in a coma though is something we once again remain speculating on.
Old 2010-06-06, 02:50   Link #180
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
Tis true. In the novel short stories it reveals that Hinata was hit by a truck. Whether he actually died or is in a coma though is something we once again remain speculating on.
Wow.. Without anything firm to hold onto we are at the mercy of plot twists that would make Code geass envious.