AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

View Poll Results: What Grade will you give for Da Capo??
4-5 Star (Heart warming, Breath Taking) 63 51.22%
3-4 Star (Great!!) 29 23.58%
2-3 Star (Some flaws Detected) 22 17.89%
1-2 Star (Not interested...) 4 3.25%
This is one damn lousy series 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-12, 00:24   Link #601
DanielSong39

I've started rewatching this series ever since Gift ~ Eternal Rainbow started, as a way of comparing the two series...

The second time around, I'm definitely getting the "jilted lover" vibes from Sakura. She seems to be in a position similar to Riko, except Jyunichi switched to Nemu, instead of sticking with Sakura.

Plus, with Sakura being a childhood friend, the promised girl, first love, AND the girl most connected with the Sakura tree - I'm not so sure whether Sakura was actually supposed to be the "canon" ending.

Any idea as to what happens in Sakura's path? I could easily imagine Nemu and Sakura switching roles in the catfight.

P.S. The promised girl doesn't seem to be invulnerable, as Sakura went down in a blaze of glory. And Tamaki (To Heart 2) doesn't quite pull it off either, despite being a childhood friend, promised girl, and first love.
Old 2007-09-09, 07:42   Link #602
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

i'm a bit surprised after watching episode three.
wth?
a robot? does this make any sense?
Old 2007-11-21, 12:46   Link #603
Kristen
*Author

This series has really been a shocker. I have finished the first 24 episodes, with the last 2 episodes probably for tonight.
I must say, I think the entire first 15 episodes could have been compressed into like 2 episodes, but these last 9 episodes have been amazing.
Old 2007-12-20, 02:37   Link #604
therationalpi

Consider me one that is (generally) against thready "necromancy." However, allow me to raise this thread to give a short review.

I picked up this series as a recommendation by one of my friends. We seem to share tastes in anime, especially those with a romantic bent. To her, this was one of her favorites, a prime example of a harem anime.

I began watching with expectations along the lines of Kanon, Air, and Clannad, three of my favorite series (Not by coincidence, all are Kyoto Animation adaptations of Key visual novels). The series followed a similar formula, initially the story was light, with a hefty dose of humor. Although I find such to be a necesity in such series, as it's hard to relate to characters with whom you've never shared so much as a chuckle, I felt that Da Capo's humor was drawn out. Moreover, I never really found it all that funny. A couple good moments, here and there, but nothing too fantastic. These first 15 episodes would have been great to shave down, because the series really gets on a roll afterwards.

From episode 17 on (16 being a recap) the series takes a sudden serious turn. Romantic intentions are all thrown out in the open, and serious decisions are made. Da Capo becomes increasingly dramatic, and everything about the series loses its light and airy feel. The island where dreams comes true becomes an island of despair and broken dreams. Would that this were a longer series (I have yet to see season 2), certain characters may have seen longer arcs. However, several characters do still get a moment to shine and share their own special moments with us. I really wish they would have taken the time to explore these stories, but the funny part (read:boring part) took up too much time.

Of particular note in the second part is the change in background music. The music in part 1 [Eps 1-15] with a forced cheerfulness. Essentially, the music was awful. The later portion [17-26] features well composed instrumental numbers with a brilliantly melancholic tone. There are several memorable numbers here, one waltz in particular sets the mood perfectly in several key scenes. There is a concious at episode 17, and an entirely seperate soundtrack for that portion. That is soundtrack, "Brillante," is simply better than the first.

The ending is well done. There is plenty of drama, sadness, and a certain bitter-sweetness that is incredibly satisfying. I would probably say that the series is worth watching, if only for the end. It is truly an example of how a serious ending does not have to choose between Happy and Sad. Instead, a good ending can fall somewhere in the middle, with a complex mixture of feelings.

Then there are the "Side-Episodes." These short stories are highly symbolic, and somewhat difficult to understand. Perhaps, with a bit of thought and discussion, these could be the most interesting part of the whole series. There is something very dreamlike, and archetypal about them, that could be worth some analysis. However, they remain largely apart from the primary story, and only give us a little insight into the inner workings of some of the characters.

Da Capo can really be expressed in two halves. The first half was meant to be humorous, but dragged on with only mildly entertaining humor. The second half was well orchestrated drama. Many series have done humor better, several have done drama as well or better. Quite a few do the combination much better.

Thus, here is my final score:
Episodes 1-15: 3/10 (Below Average)
Episodes 17-26: 8/10 (Good)
Overall: 5.5/10 (Average)

If you have the urge to watch this series, stick it out till the end and you will be rewarded. If you really want, skip to episode 16, watch that recap episode, then go on with the rest of the series. A fan of the genre will enjoy it, but it's not going to win any converts.
Old 2007-12-20, 03:14   Link #605
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, I guess the main thing I would mention as a comment would be that it's worth considering the "era" in which this show aired. On the one hand it was "only 4 years ago", but at the same time, Da Capo was the first anime in the genre to get greenlit for a 26-episode run. It helped set the stage for eroge-based anime being a staple the way it is today. So I feel that comparing it to the more refined approaches used today is a bit incomplete in terms of an overall perspective. Someone had to do the experiment so that others would learn from it. It's interesting to compare it to "today's fare" and see whether it holds up, but the show wasn't made for today's audience; the staff didn't "know better". It's probably more interesting to compare it to what was done with ToHeart, Kanon 2002, and possibly shows like Sister Princess and Sister Princess RePure (which had the same director, incidentally) to see what factored in to their storytelling approach.

The other thing I guess I would say is that I don't at all think that the early episodes were trying for "humour", even if they were more light-hearted than the second half. At least, I never really thought of it as trying to be funny, anyway. It was more to introduce you to the characters so that you'd have some connection or attachment to them when things kicked into high gear in the second half. So, while I certainly agree that the latter half is the most memorable part of the show, I didn't mind the more casual "getting to know you" phase in the first half as much as you did. But then again, like I said, this is when I saw it 4 years ago -- maybe it'd seem more trite now given all the shows I've seen since, only because by now it's been copied, tweaked, and improved so many times by other shows.

At the time when it aired, though, it did win converts, since it helped define the genre. But for new people coming in at this stage in the game, it may be a tougher sell (just like it's tough to sell new fans on pre-digital/hand-drawn anime -- it just doesn't seem as refined compared to nowadays). This isn't really an attempt to defend the show or anything (I have no reason to doubt or question your opinion, as I think it might make sense as a newcomer), but just trying to offer a different perspective from someone who was here "back then".
Old 2007-12-20, 11:30   Link #606
therationalpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I guess the main thing I would mention as a comment would be that it's worth considering the "era" in which this show aired. On the one hand it was "only 4 years ago", but at the same time, Da Capo was the first anime in the genre to get greenlit for a 26-episode run. It helped set the stage for eroge-based anime being a staple the way it is today. So I feel that comparing it to the more refined approaches used today is a bit incomplete in terms of an overall perspective.
Very astute. I originally was going to acknowledge that this is a review in context of current anime, as opposed to the era, but I left it off for brevity. Taken in the context of the time, it certainly deserves a higher score. My own tastes didn't even move towards this sort of series until about two years ago. So, I am not familiar with the prototypical works like you are. I should have been more forward about it in the original review, but I did make a concscious decision to review it from today's perspective.

I also very much agree that a good dramatic anime needs to be light hearted then get more serious over time. As with you, I feel this is very important to connect with the characters. In almost any story, people have to care about the character before they will care about their background, or deep inner feelings. All my favorite eroge-based anime do this very same thing. The only problem I have with Da Capo is that the light-hearted section just didn't 'click' with me. So, it was entirely a matter of taste here. Reviews are somewhat subjective. Also, I'm kind of a tough reviewer.

Ultimately, I stand by my original review, with a little disclaimer stating that "This review is from a current perspective."

Also, RelentlessFlame, thank you for your thoughtful response to my post.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:34   Link #607
mdauben

I just recently rewatched Da Capo, so I'll add a few minor coments of my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therationalpi View Post
I felt that Da Capo's humor was drawn out. Moreover, I never really found it all that funny.
True, it was not extreamly funny but I thought it was amusing enough to support the true purpose of the first half of the series, developing the characters into something the viewer could care about.

Quote:
Da Capo becomes increasingly dramatic, and everything about the series loses its light and airy feel.
This is my own favorite part of the season. The level of drama and emotion in the second half of Da Capo is something that is seldom seen in your run-of-the-mill harem series. I found myself drawn in emotionally to the story as much as just about any series I have watched.

Quote:
(I have yet to see season 2)
The advice of many fans of the fist season would be not to bother. It does continue the story of Junichi and Nemu to a limited degree, but in a way that I found inconsistent with their characters and story in the first season. In addition, most of the second season is given over to a handful of new characters, none of whom have the strength IMO to carry the show (ranging from forgettable to annoying). All in all, I found it a waste of time, despite my enthusiasm for Da Capo going into the series.

Quote:
certain characters may have seen longer arcs.
One of my few disappointments in the first season was that Moe (one of my favorite characters) did not get enough development time to explain her connection with the sakura tree (all the main characters, of course, shared a connection with the tree, but her's was never really explained).
Spoiler for Moe's Connection:

Quote:
The ending is well done. There is plenty of drama, sadness, and a certain bitter-sweetness that is incredibly satisfying.
I admit to being shallow enough that I generally prefer "happy endings" but even I acknowledge that a really well done bitter-sweet ending (like Da Capo) can be even more emotionally powerful.

Quote:
Then there are the "Side-Episodes."
There seems to be a lot of disagreement about the "side-episodes". Personally, I found them to be confusing and a total waste of time in the series, that could have been much better spent on more development of the characters which you yourself pointed out could have used more time. Despite and "artistic" merit they have have had in and of themselves, I feel they in the end detracted from the series more than they added to it. If they had been added later as some sort of DVD extras, that might have worked better I think, to make their independence from the main storyline more apparent.
Old 2007-12-20, 14:39   Link #608
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
The advice of many fans of the fist season would be not to bother. It does continue the story of Junichi and Nemu to a limited degree, but in a way that I found inconsistent with their characters and story in the first season. In addition, most of the second season is given over to a handful of new characters, none of whom have the strength IMO to carry the show (ranging from forgettable to annoying). All in all, I found it a waste of time, despite my enthusiasm for Da Capo going into the series.
This is something i personally disagree with.
Spoiler for DCSS:

I see nothing in DCSS that would make it any worse than the first season. One can even argue it doesn't have the very long and "pointless" comedy setup in the first half, which is something a lot of people dislike in the first season. Overall it delivered a solid story and a decent continuation with a satisfying conclusion and a message, so i don't see much of a problem with it.
Old 2007-12-20, 15:40   Link #609
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
This is something i personally disagree with.
Personally, I thought it was one of the worse sequels I have ever seen and I'm not alone in that, but I do know others who liked it just as you did. I guess it's one of those things people need to decide for themselves.
Old 2007-12-20, 16:26   Link #610
DanielSong39

The first half of Da Capo was decidedly hit-and-miss but it did a decent job of introducing the characters. Notable episodes in the first half:

1 - Sakura's return. It's apparent that there was something going on with Jyunichi and Sakura in the past... which Jyunichi gradually forgot over time.

2 - Dark Nemu. Absolutely hilarious to see her go ballistic. She has a lot more style than, say, Nanaka from Myself; Yourself.

4 - Kotori! Excellent episode; excellent character. Even has Sakura's antics and the return of Dark Nemu.

10 - School Festival. Another Kotori episode that has considerable foreshadowing. Kotori knows Nemu and Sakura are the most important girls in Jyunichi's life, but one is his sister and the other is his cousin... surely there is room for a girlfriend as well?

12 - Mako's date. Truly, a tsundere done right. Puts up a front but she's trying to look strong, and not being an absolute b****. Her dere side is not overblown, either.

If the rest of the first half was as strong as these episodes I think the show would be much more highly regarded (as it stands, it still probably ranks among the top dating-sim conversions). It's not that the show CAN'T pull off light-hearted comedy, it's that it can't do it on a consistent basis.

As for the drama... first-rate. Sakura and Nemu's confessions were extremely well done and brought out each one's true nature. The curse of the sakura tree served as an overarching theme that grabbed the show from the start and never let go. One can only hope that the second part of D.C. II will have the same level of drama... hopefully we'll get the best of both worlds, and get a Yume-Otome battle that matches Nemu-Sakura, and a Nanaka challenge that makes up for the disappointment of Kotori's failed attempt in DCSS.

Last edited by DanielSong39; 2007-12-20 at 19:06.
Old 2008-02-18, 18:15   Link #611
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Sry for thise resurrection.
I looked up all three Da Capo threads (first, second and II) and this was the one with thelast post.
So I decided to ask my questions here and later questions from the second season and Da Capo 2.
So please be patient with me.

Awesome show I had to cry sometimes after episode 20.
Seeing the duck at the end was funny but they could have shown the turtle too.
(Both didn't get eaten by those sisters )

The end was good nearly perfect but I dont get it, did Nemu get her memorys back?
What about the girl in the room who only looked out of her window?
Da Capo is also a game is the story/ending different?
Was that really Miharu at the end? She finally woke up out of her coma?

And a question about the second season and Da Capo II:
How are they related to the first season?

Thank you and sry again for this resurrection but I started dowloading full series last month(again after I stop a couple of years ago). And I started watching series starting with the letter a... so I am now at d and Da Capo was one of the old series I didnt watched back then.
It's a awesome show and anyone who has seen it should understand this resurrection because this series seems to deserve as long as possible in our minds.

Bye Bye
Old 2008-02-18, 18:31   Link #612
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangalowres View Post
The end was good nearly perfect but I dont get it, did Nemu get her memorys back?
What about the girl in the room who only looked out of her window?
Da Capo is also a game is the story/ending different?
Was that really Miharu at the end? She finally woke up out of her coma?

And a question about the second season and Da Capo II:
How are they related to the first season?
Okay, well, might as well tackle the questions in order:

Did Nemu get her memories back?
It's never explicitly laid out in the anime, but we can safely say yes. With the tree gone, Nemu was restored to health, memories and all.

What about the girl in the room who only looked out her window?
You'll see her again in the Second Season (more on that in a bit).

Is the game ending of Da Capo different?
The game has multiple "paths" in it, so there are many different possible endings. But the story shown in the anime is pretty close to what's considered the "true ending" of the game. It's also considered the "canon" ending that future seasons are based off of.

Did the real Miharu awaken from her coma?
Yes. You'll see her again in the Second Season too.

What connections do D.C.S.S. and D.C. II have with D.C.?
Da Capo Second Season (D.C.S.S.) is the direct continuation of Da Capo, and takes place 2 years after the end of the first season. It continues the Da Capo story with the same cast (and a few newcomers).

Da Capo II (D.C. II) is a continuation to D.C.S.S. that takes place 53 years, or two generations, after the end of D.C. Basically, it features the "grandchild" generation of the characters in D.C. A few characters from D.C. make a reappearance, but the focus is on the new generation.

Hope that helps; glad you liked the show!
Old 2008-02-18, 18:51   Link #613
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Domo Arigato.

Quote:
Is the game ending of Da Capo different?
The game has multiple "paths" in it, so there are many different possible endings. But the story shown in the anime is pretty close to what's considered the "true ending" of the game. It's also considered the "canon" ending that future seasons are based off of.
"Canon Ending" aahh eehhh
What? Is that something I should know?

Quote:
Hope that helps; glad you liked the show!
It helped me much thanks and the show was awesome. The end felt really much better then some other series.

I just started with the second season( first ep at min 6:24 ) and I hope that they could continue this awesome first season.

Bye Bye

Edit:
Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
Did I really forget it a second time??????

The bear which was sometimes in the background what... who... which... is that only a sidegag(joke)?
Old 2008-02-18, 19:06   Link #614
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Ah, well, basically, that means it's considered the "official" or "true" ending of the game. This happens fairly often in games like these with multiple different endings. For storytelling reasons, there's often one character whose story is predominent and the most tied to the game's theme. They usually get top-billing on the game packaging/promo material, and are almost always the characters featured in anime adaptations. In the D.C. game, Nemu's ending is considered "canon". Wikipedia also has an interesting article about "canon" in fiction.

Quote:
The bear which was sometimes in the background what... who... which... is that only a sidegag(joke)?
Ah -- sort of. It's a reference to a character that was added to the PS2 version of the Da Capo game (called Da Capo Plus Situation). You'll see her a bit more in the second season too, but the premise is basically that, for reasons explained in the game, even though everyone else sees her as a normal cute girl, Junichi can only see her as a pink bear! Anyway, in the anime context, I guess you could say it's sort of a side-gag -- it's a sort of wink to game players.
Old 2008-02-18, 19:08   Link #615
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Basically what is considered the "true end" of all the available ones. I know, you must be thinking "what the heck is he saying, how can one end be "true" if there is an ending for each character ?". The concept might sound a bit strange indeed for someone who is new to the concept of Visual Novels, but usually, while all endings carry their own importance and messages, there would be one that can be considered the closest representation of the message of the story and the most "natural"(though this is highly debatable part) way things could have progressed in such a situation. In some cases the "canon end" is rather easily distinguishable, sometimes the lines are pretty blurry ... but usually there is some sort of a consensus regarding such things. A "gut feeling" to a degree one could say.

Junichi, Sakura and Nemu are the most central figures to the story of Da Capo. Of course other characters have their own importance and stories to tell, those three make up the core of Da Capo than can be traced back to their childhood. In such a case either Sakura or Nemu would be the "canon end". Well, in case of Da Capo it is made all the much easier to distinguish the "true end", seeing that the sequels (both game and anime) follow the same ending - Nemu's ending. Thus the writer has kinda "chosen" which end he himself considers the closest to "true end".

I hope all that made sense, because i am not sure it did

Edit: drat, got beaten to it >.>
Old 2008-02-18, 19:16   Link #616
DanielSong39

It would be interesting to see what happened in Sakura's ending... after all, she was the one who made the promise of everlasting love with Jyunichi, which was sealed by the magic of the sakura tree.

Considering she is the "destined" and "promised" girl, is most intimately tied to the magical sakura tree, and is responsible for making the most important decisions at the end, I think the writer could have just as easily chosen Sakura's end as the "canon" one. Alas, it was not to be.

It's also interesting to note that she snatches "lead girl" status from Nemu towards the end of the anime, though she loses out on the race for Jyunichi's heart. Her fate is not unlike Nayuki in Kanon 2002, who became the most important girl of the show by the end...
Old 2008-02-18, 19:22   Link #617
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
I hope all that made sense, because i am not sure it did
It made sense both of you two answers hehe.
So arigato.

Quote:
A "gut feeling" to a degree one could say.
You've got me off guard, first I thought you mixed up german and english
gut feeling = good feeling = good gefühl = gutes gefühl
But after checking "gut feeling" on dict.leo.org I know what you wanted to say

And you two seem to like that series
Now i know who to ask the next questions after the second season or maybe while watching it.

Bye Bye

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
It's also interesting to note that she snatches "lead girl" status from Nemu towards the end of the anime, though she loses out on the race for Jyunichi's heart. Her fate is not unlike Nayuki in Kanon 2002, who became the most important girl of the show by the end...
Oh god damn... this anime is on my list... after reading something like that about the end I dont think that i could watch it.
I'm the "happily ever after"-Type so sad endings are toooo much for me.
Old 2008-02-18, 19:26   Link #618
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Junichi, Sakura and Nemu are the most central figures to the story of Da Capo. Of course other characters have their own importance and stories to tell, those three make up the core of Da Capo than can be traced back to their childhood. In such a case either Sakura or Nemu would be the "canon end". Well, in case of Da Capo it is made all the much easier to distinguish the "true end", seeing that the sequels (both game and anime) follow the same ending - Nemu's ending. Thus the writer has kinda "chosen" which end he himself considers the closest to "true end".
Yup, that's right. In fact, this is one of the things the anime did a bit differently -- they sort of merged the Nemu and Sakura endings a bit more than they were in the game, since they're both extremely important to the story. Basically, it's quite simple: since everything in Da Capo revolves around the ever-blooming sakura tree, those most connected to the tree will always be the main characters in the overall story.

Quote:
It would be interesting to see what happened in Sakura's ending... after all, she was the one who made the promise of everlasting love with Jyunichi, which was sealed by the magic of the sakura tree.

Considering she is the "destined" and "promised" girl, is most intimately tied to the magical sakura tree, and is responsible for making the most important decisions at the end, I think the writer could have just as easily chosen Sakura's end as the "canon" one. Alas, it was not to be.
See above for part of the answer (the anime already blended parts of Sakura's ending into it). Knowing where they went with it, though, I have to agree with the writers' choice though. The way they did it, Sakura is actually even more important in the sequels than she would have been if they followed her game ending. So I think it worked out for the best. But that's a topic for another thread, probably.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh god damn... this anime is on my list... after reading something like that about the end I dont think that i could watch it.
I'm the "happily ever after"-Type so sad endings are toooo much for me.
*Sigh*... and this is why people have to be careful about referring to other shows that they assume everyone else has watched... (I think you'll probably like it anyway, mangalowres, so I'd give it a chance.)
Old 2008-02-18, 19:54   Link #619
mangalowres
AS Mods Sandbag

Quote:
*Sigh*... and this is why people have to be careful about referring to other shows that they assume everyone else has watched... (I think you'll probably like it anyway, mangalowres, so I'd give it a chance.)
Okay and don't worry spoilers help me.

But.. you should be here to answer my questions, not starting a discussion just joking.

Bye Bye and good night.
I'll just watch ep 4 now, I want to know who Asia is(after seen here first with the coat I thought that she is Sakura)....
Old 2008-02-18, 20:14   Link #620
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
I'll just watch ep 4 now, I want to know who Asia is(after seen here first with the coat I thought that she is Sakura)....

Not really related to this Da Capo, but heh ..

Ah, Aisia ... i remember myself being deceived in regards to her personality, which turned out to be almost opposite of what i was expecting from her based on the first moments when she was introduced

Tags
bishoujo, circus, drama, kemonomimi, romance, school life, seinen, zexcs