AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Higurashi

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-09, 17:46   Link #101
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
Oh, by the way. What do you do in the Mini-games?
The minigames are... very silly. A little tricky to play, too. I wouldn't suggest buying the VN just for them, they are very much bonus items.

The first minigame is "Rena*PUN*" (original name "renapan"), where you try to avoid Rena's punches.

The next two are... too darn silly to describe. Seriously. Okay, they are called "Sufi Bomber" and "Devi-Devi Devils".

The final minigame is "Strolling with Rika-chan", where you help little kitten Rika-chan make it safely through Hinamizawa. (Miiiiiii...)

Yes, we are translating the minigames, but we won't be putting enormous loads of effort into it... the creators didn't seem to put a lot of effort into them, either...

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)
Old 2008-02-09, 22:44   Link #102
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonozaki Futagotachi View Post
The minigames are... very silly. A little tricky to play, too. I wouldn't suggest buying the VN just for them, they are very much bonus items.

The first minigame is "Rena*PUN*" (original name "renapan"), where you try to avoid Rena's punches.

The next two are... too darn silly to describe. Seriously. Okay, they are called "Sufi Bomber" and "Devi-Devi Devils".

The final minigame is "Strolling with Rika-chan", where you help little kitten Rika-chan make it safely through Hinamizawa. (Miiiiiii...)

Yes, we are translating the minigames, but we won't be putting enormous loads of effort into it... the creators didn't seem to put a lot of effort into them, either...

Mion (Sonozaki Futago-tachi)

I see. Well i've played "Renapan online" before. Do you know if those other games have an online counterpart? Also, I can't figure out what exactly i'm suppused to click on or do in renapan. She just hits me in like, a spilt second and then it says game over. Any adivce? http://higurashi-cd.com/renapan/index.html
Old 2008-02-10, 11:26   Link #103
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

How to play Renapan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamiel View Post
I see. Well i've played "Renapan online" before. Do you know if those other games have an online counterpart? Also, I can't figure out what exactly i'm suppused to click on or do in renapan. She just hits me in like, a spilt second and then it says game over. Any adivce? http://higurashi-cd.com/renapan/index.html
Renapan is probably...the least silly of the minigames. lt's a simulator to learn how to dodge Rena's punches, which is actually 'useful' compared to the setup for the other games.

I took a look at Renapan online, and the way to play is simple but tricky.
If she throws a right punch, click on the right side of the screen (to avoid it).
If she throws a left punch, click on the left side of the screen (same idea).
However, if you avoid it too soon, the punch will still get you - you have to wait until the fist has almost hit, and click at that moment. The timing's the hardest thing to get used to in this game, really.

It's not the same as the game within the novel - there it doesn't matter _where_ you click. You do a left-click for a left punch, and a right-click for a right punch. The timing's just as much of a pain there though. And of course you don't hear Rena talking . Oh, and there's 3 stages to the game - you have to avoid 100 punches to clear each one! There's dialogue explaining the idea of the game, and more between each stage, which I'm of course translating so players won't be left in the dark. The dialogue banter is fun too, I hope you enjoy it.

Shion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)
Old 2008-02-10, 21:37   Link #104
Dreamiel
Rena X Keiichi FOREVER!

Quote:
Renapan is probably...the least silly of the minigames. lt's a simulator to learn how to dodge Rena's punches, which is actually 'useful' compared to the setup for the other games.

I took a look at Renapan online, and the way to play is simple but tricky.
If she throws a right punch, click on the right side of the screen (to avoid it).
If she throws a left punch, click on the left side of the screen (same idea).
However, if you avoid it too soon, the punch will still get you - you have to wait until the fist has almost hit, and click at that moment. The timing's the hardest thing to get used to in this game, really.

It's not the same as the game within the novel - there it doesn't matter _where_ you click. You do a left-click for a left punch, and a right-click for a right punch. The timing's just as much of a pain there though. And of course you don't hear Rena talking . Oh, and there's 3 stages to the game - you have to avoid 100 punches to clear each one! There's dialogue explaining the idea of the game, and more between each stage, which I'm of course translating so players won't be left in the dark. The dialogue banter is fun too, I hope you enjoy it.

Shion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)
Thank you very much for the advice, but sadly, I still suck at it T_T. Oh well, it's still fun to listen to rena talk ^_^.
Old 2008-02-10, 22:27   Link #105
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

Because Im the worlds most distracted person (plus I didnt feel much like working today ) I decided to do up a little file for people...

http://www.dacyclops.com/higurashi/S...kushi_day5.exe

hat would be a full installer for the Day 5 version of the patch for the Full/retail version. (not sure if it would do the download version) What makes this special is that it will actually read the registry for where Higurashi was installed (since they were kind enough to record it), and install it correctly. It will even function in Vista with ease!

Even creates icons in the start menu and on the desktop with that cute Rena face provided in the zip file

Okay then. I think I better go do some work now...

Last edited by DaCyclops; 2008-02-10 at 22:33. Reason: okay... no more square brackets for addresses in forums...
Old 2008-02-11, 20:10   Link #106
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCyclops View Post
Because Im the worlds most distracted person (plus I didnt feel much like working today ) I decided to do up a little file for people...

http://www.dacyclops.com/higurashi/S...kushi_day5.exe
Cool, that works pretty well. We're trying to keep our releases in zip format, though, so that non-Windows users can install them. Is there a way to make a generic "install.exe" that takes a setup file which tells what needs to be installed? The full Higurashi game has something like that....

Thanks,
Mion (Sonozaki Futagotachi)
Old 2008-02-11, 20:19   Link #107
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Smile Beta Test: Onikakushi Day 9, part 1

Hi folks,

We'll be doing a translation release of the whole next chapter of Onikakushi (Day 9), but since it's so long that it even comes in two parts in the actual game, we've decided to do a beta test of just the first part.

So then, this is a general shout-out for any and all beta testers! If you would like to help out and have time this week to try out the beta patch, send a PM telling me which Higurashi game you have (full or demo). Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 2008-02-11, 20:27   Link #108
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

this particular installer is made by compiling a script file which says what needs to be done. The software is called NSIS and its free. it does compile everything into itself as part of the process (and smaller than a normal zip )

I just checked the CD (trust me to have an image of the CD on my Work PC) and I see what you mean. It does appear to define the installer in a text file. Unfortunetly, NSIS cant do that.

I can fully understand wanting to keep it in zip format. I just provided this as an extra option for those who have the full version in Windows. Truth be told, its mostly because it works flawlessly in Vista

Just think of this as a bonus for those on Windows. Its since ive already done all the "hard" stuff, its actually going to take me longer to turn on my laptop then to update in the future
Old 2008-02-11, 21:34   Link #109
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCyclops View Post
this particular installer is made by compiling a script file which says what needs to be done. The software is called NSIS and its free. it does compile everything into itself as part of the process (and smaller than a normal zip )
No, that's cool. I was just looking into Inno Setup, another freeware installer program that seems to do compiled exes as well as an install + script release. Maybe that would work well.

Old 2008-02-11, 23:39   Link #110
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

After looking through the Beta of day 9 part 1

Here are a few things

You shouldn't define words in game as it kinda takes away from the story I.E "Miko (Shrine Maiden)" or "Tako (octopus)" etc.. Also most people know what these things are.

Trying to load a game crashes ONscripter

Also it's been awhlie since I last read Onikakushi (in Japanese) and being a K1xMion fan, the amount of RenaxK1 in Onikakushi is making me want to kill somebody...

Though on the other hand I found Tommy to be moe... I think something's wrong with me.
Old 2008-02-12, 00:08   Link #111
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
After looking through the Beta of day 9 part 1

Here are a few things

You shouldn't define words in game as it kinda takes away from the story I.E "Miko (Shrine Maiden)" or "Tako (octopus)" etc.. Also most people know what these things are.
I agree, but we're trying to keep it to a minimum, explaining just enough for words that have slight significance in a scene, and just within the narration. Though, yeah, we might be doing a bit too much of it in this part.

Quote:
Trying to load a game crashes ONscripter
Hmm, are you trying to load a game that you saved from before the Day 5 release?
Are you using an onscripter-en other than the one that came with the beta patch?

Quote:
Also it's been awhlie since I last read Onikakushi (in Japanese) and being a K1xMion fan, the amount of RenaxK1 in Onikakushi is making me want to kill somebody...

Though on the other hand I found Tommy to be moe... I think something's wrong with me.
Yeah, Tomi is pretty moe in this part, he looks so vulnerable at first but then happy to have friends.

As for the RenaxK1... well, you could think of the first 3 games as 3 different "paths" in a dating simulation. Onikakushi is the Rena path, Watanagashi is the Mion(?)/Shion(?) path, and Tatarigoroshi is the Satoko path. (Himatsubushi is sort of a Rika path, but with a different protagonist.) Neat, huh?

Thanks,
Old 2008-02-12, 00:20   Link #112
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Hmm, are you trying to load a game that you saved from before the Day 5 release?
Are you using an onscripter-en other than the one that came with the beta patch?
I was trying to load my save that was just before the start of Day 9 and I used the onscripter-en that came with the beta

Quote:
As for the RenaxK1... well, you could think of the first 3 games as 3 different "paths" in a dating simulation. Onikakushi is the Rena path, Watanagashi is the Mion(?)/Shion(?) path, and Tatarigoroshi is the Satoko path. (Himatsubushi is sort of a Rika path, but with a different protagonist.) Neat, huh?
No wonder Watanagashi is my favorite arc of the first 4 games
Old 2008-02-12, 00:54   Link #113
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling01 View Post
I was trying to load my save that was just before the start of Day 9 and I used the onscripter-en that came with the beta
Oh, so you saved within the TIPS menu after Day 5? My prior savegame fix covered saves at the very first page of a new (untranslated) day, but I'm not sure how I'd do a fix for saving at the TIPS menu. I'll certainly try to figure something out; the release shouldn't punish people for saving when presented with a SAVE * LOAD button!

Thanks,
Old 2008-02-12, 06:17   Link #114
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

just posted my savegame testing to the Sonozaki Futago-tachi sisters, but I think I will say it here for those who want to upgrade before those sisters manage to magic up a fix for it.

Save games made during the TIPS Save/Load screen will crash when loaded in a different version. No matter which save it is (just tried it with on a TIPS save after day 4 as well - same result). If you want to save after that, for now you will have to either save just before, or just after (as in once the VERY first line of text appears) the save screen. (and thats what their last magic fix supported)

also, you shouldnt have too much of a problem loading your game back into Day5 Patch (extra folders are fun!) and loading that save game, just to advance to the first line of text and save again. Thats a nice work around for now, so that your not stuck.
Old 2008-02-15, 18:54   Link #115
Ahasuerus
UNBOUND-ed

Hi Mion,

Glad to see that your progress is continuing

My PC died shortly after your last email so I wasn't able to follow through with continuing with the rest of the game. (Had to buy a new one in fact ) But I'll be re-downloading the demo and buying the game once I locate the links in this thread. The emails with the links are lost though

Kind of hard to find time to search through the thread for them now; I've got too much on my plate at the moment But I wanted to say "Thanks!" to you and your sis for all the hard work; it's really appreciated

Keep on keepin' on!
Old 2008-02-15, 20:47   Link #116
Valentine

I'm really enjoying your translation and seeing all the extra material that had to be left out of the series. I do have a bit of a question on your translation though - on the second day, when Mion and Rena are explaining about the Watanagashi festival they say "Watanagashi isn't a summer festival; apparently it began as a festival to celebrate the end of winter." I know a lot of countries use a different way of reckoning the seasons, but by the Japanese calender wouldn't Watanagashi fall practically on midsummer?
Old 2008-02-15, 21:17   Link #117
Sonozaki Futagotachi
Translation Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentine View Post
I'm really enjoying your translation and seeing all the extra material that had to be left out of the series. I do have a bit of a question on your translation though - on the second day, when Mion and Rena are explaining about the Watanagashi festival they say "Watanagashi isn't a summer festival; apparently it began as a festival to celebrate the end of winter." I know a lot of countries use a different way of reckoning the seasons, but by the Japanese calender wouldn't Watanagashi fall practically on midsummer?
Well, for most of Japan "summer festival" season is July and August. June is the rainy season, which is technically part of summer but not especially "summery" - seems like Japanese festivals must require the weather to be too darn hot and humid, perhaps so they can sell more snowcones and cold soda.

I do agree that mid-late June is a bit late to have an "end of winter" festival; I'd normally consider April or May to be the better month for that. But then, Hinamizawa is a mountain village, so maybe winter ends a little later. Or maybe Watanagashi used to be earlier, but got move to June. Hard to say for sure.

Old 2008-02-15, 22:30   Link #118
Valentine

Thanks for the explanation!

It still sounds strange to me to think of the end of winter even as April though - by the Irish calender winter's already been over for two weeks. ^^
Old 2008-02-16, 03:50   Link #119
DaCyclops
Freshly Exiled Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahasuerus View Post
But I'll be re-downloading the demo and buying the game once I locate the links in this thread. The emails with the links are lost though

Kind of hard to find time to search through the thread for them now; I've got too much on my plate at the moment
First Page, First Post has the links to buy the game. (apparently it was put there to avoid people having to search for it )
I recommend HimyaShop. They were good with me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what... quoted because I know how bone-lazy I can be...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
3. BUY THE GAME
There are a two places that I know of where you can buy this game online outside of Japan. These include paletweb and HimeyaShop. If you find others, let me know so I can post them here.

These are the two that you only need to buy:

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Himatsubushi-hen
Comike 66 (2004.08.13)
Included chapters:
Chapter 1: Onikakushi-hen
Chapter 2: Watanagashi-hen
Chapter 3: Tatarigoroshi-hen
Chapter 4: Himatsubushi-hen
paletweb link: http://www.paletweb.com/selectpage.asp?code=9900000423
HimeyaShop link: http://www.himeyashop.com/product_in...oducts_id/2237

Higurashi no Naku Koroni Kai Matsuribayashi-hen
Comike 70 (2006.08.13)
Included chapters:
Chapter 5: Meakashi-hen
Chapter 6: Tsumihorobishi-hen
Chapter 7: Minagoroshi-hen
Chapter 8: Matsuribayashi-hen
paletweb link: http://www.paletweb.com/selectpage.asp?code=00572
HimyaShop link: http://www.himeyashop.com/product_in...oducts_id/4952
Old 2008-02-16, 06:44   Link #120
tobiast88
No patience for fools

The end of winter thing can also be a calendar thing. Japan had a lunar calendar, that didn't attach a particular month to a season; then they went luni-solar, and different months had to have the solstice or equinox in the precise middle, but since calendars are always imprecise, the seasons drifted away from their dates (like it happened in Europe, with Easter falling later and later at one point; and in Japan, different places celebrate the Bon festival at a month's interval). If Hinamizawa had the festival in April, it's quite possible it got shifted with no one bothering to put it back to the right month, since by their reckoning it was still the right "time" to have it.
Closed Thread