Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-10, 10:08   Link #341
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
Basically, when you're shuffling, you can keep within your hand several tiles of your choice and not really shuffling them about. Or during the forming of the wall, you note down what tiles are there, and grabbing them to place them in the position you want as part of the wall. That's also the small trick of feeling the tiles quickly, to tell what they are in the midst of forming the wall.

Next you have to control the throw of the die, to ensure that the tiles you formed do go to you, thus completing the manipulation.
how does one actually do that?!

lol to get away with that the other 3 would have to be complete well unsuspecting morons to not notice

also to get a "feel" for the tiles I would think that requires superhuman senses

like I said I've seen/played enough games to know when shuffling it would be pretty hard to keep some tiles under hand or note where they are on the table

unless the japanese have some slow weird way of shuffling?
Old 2009-04-10, 10:54   Link #342
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter003 View Post
That's why you'll only see it in animes/dramas/movies.
lol yea times I forget RL doesn't apply to anime and such >__<
Old 2009-04-10, 16:05   Link #343
Jiyuu

Send a message via MSN to Jiyuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Hmm, that's a good idea. E-ink's main drawback is the refresh time and that wouldn't be an issue in this case. But they do require power to CHANGE the display, so you'd need a battery of some sort,
i'd suppose that for that ammount of power even something based on the vibrations of the pieces and/or solar energy should suffice.
Jiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 17:32   Link #344
Zarifus

While we're at it, each tile has an embedded RFID tag, and you play the game on a table similar to the Microsoft Surface. That way the table can track the exact locations of each tile, as well as display point information and everything else directly on the table! :P

(Heck, if its in a mahjong parlour or similar, you could pay by slapping down your RFID tagged credit card, which is already a supported feature of the Surface).
Zarifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:17   Link #345
Mei

Well, have now seen the first episode. Do you think it's really possible to understand it if you know nothing about mahjong? I didn't seem to catch anything they were doing really...I felt lost XD
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 21:29   Link #346
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Well, have now seen the first episode. Do you think it's really possible to understand it if you know nothing about mahjong? I didn't seem to catch anything they were doing really...I felt lost XD
No, it's not. For someone that's never played riichi mahjong or mahjong in general you will simply be completely lost by what goes on in Saki, they do not explain the basic rules at all. Hell, they don't even explain most of the complicated rules in the anime (the translation notes help a tiny bit)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 22:13   Link #347
Mei

Quote:
No, it's not. For someone that's never played riichi mahjong or mahjong in general you will simply be completely lost by what goes on in Saki, they do not explain the basic rules at all. Hell, they don't even explain most of the complicated rules in the anime (the translation notes help a tiny bit)
Seeing as I watch in Japanese I doubt there are translation notes
I didn't think I had missed them explaining anything, even in my total sleepy mode... ah well may carrying on watching for the hell of it, shame they don't try to explain anything ^^;
Mei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 22:15   Link #348
einhorn303

Quote:
The same could be said of the rules of riichi mahjong itself.

Give me gin rummy any day .
I think we could all think of many tabletop games that would make better anime than mahjong.

...like competitive Scrabble, fuck yeah!
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 22:29   Link #349
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Honestly, what was explained in the anime is something that's too basic (like red dora tiles, and 1 han-chan game instead of 2) and doesn't help understanding the game at all.
When I was first reading the manga, I actually can't catch anything, but still enjoying it. After that, I searched for various site about teaching Japanese Mahjong, I found this site is quite good for beginner. Try it if you feel a need to understand what's going on on the screen, otherwise, just enjoy the overdramatic mahjong battle .
Old 2009-04-10, 22:49   Link #350
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I think we could all think of many tabletop games that would make better anime than mahjong.

...like competitive Scrabble, fuck yeah!
Monopoly and Risk, with real money! Risk is macromanagement, and Monopoly is micromanagement. Graah!

Come to think of it, Risk would actually make an awesome anime, if it were set in the near future with holographic gameboards and things. Better yet, Battleship!

However, mahjong does have something to it that's inherently suspenseful, I think it must be the element of luck in each game.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 23:24   Link #351
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
Monopoly and Risk, with real money! Risk is macromanagement, and Monopoly is micromanagement. Graah!

Come to think of it, Risk would actually make an awesome anime, if it were set in the near future with holographic gameboards and things. Better yet, Battleship!

However, mahjong does have something to it that's inherently suspenseful, I think it must be the element of luck in each game.
Risk is similar to Mahjong. Part luck, part strategy.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-10, 23:36   Link #352
Zippicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mei View Post
Sure, I was able to follow everything and I have no clue how to play mahjong. Rather than being focused on specific plays, go by the reactions of the people playing. They go out of their way to make it clear when the players do something good, bad, lucky, unexpected, etc., ultimately what game they're playing is irrelevant. Having an understanding of the game being played helps but it's by no means necessary.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 01:47   Link #353
Kimura sensei
Kimurin, the Wise

I liked the first episode.
A few notes:

* The main girl's family must be awful.

* I don't know anything about Mahjong, but eventually the main girl will play to win, right?

* Boing, boing, boing. Good.

* I'm not one to complain about lack of clothes, but they should wear some panties. It must be cold down there.
Kimura sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 10:51   Link #354
Copycatken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura sensei View Post
* I'm not one to complain about lack of clothes, but they should wear some panties. It must be cold down there.
Wha? I do not recall anything that seemed to indicate lack of panties in the first episode O.o;

As for my impressions of the first episode, I enjoyed it although I was completely overwhelmed by the massive amount of mahjong terms used. Although the TL notes did help, I couldn't remember half of the terms they used. It was also apparent within the first 30 seconds of the show that yuri undertones would be quite present in the series. Seeing Saki ogle at Nodoka's chest and the ensuing constant blushing when they looked at each other was enough to determine that. The scene where Nodoka chased Saki under the rain cemented that impression.
Old 2009-04-11, 11:53   Link #355
technomo12
Wise Otaku Seeker

sigh i wonder when will the penguin and the bunny girl and the sleeping on the lap will be shown
technomo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 12:00   Link #356
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomo12 View Post
sigh i wonder when will the penguin and the bunny girl and the sleeping on the lap will be shown
I'm just waiting for the penguin!!!

its just the win!!
Old 2009-04-11, 12:21   Link #357
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonta Kun View Post
I'm just waiting for the penguin!!!

its just the win!!
If they keep this pace, maybe we will get to see it in ep 4.
I want to see Kunihiro Hajime and, urgh, the evil Koromo.

And talking about no-pantsu? They're everywhere in the manga .
Old 2009-04-11, 12:24   Link #358
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycatken View Post
Wha? I do not recall anything that seemed to indicate lack of panties in the first episode O.o;
「ぱんつはいてない」現象

It's a running joke in all the anime where short skirts keep exposing a lot of skin, yet panties are never drawn.
It's because certain stations can't broadcast panties, so the animators simply don't draw them.
Fans started making fun of the phenomenon and decided "well, if it's not shown with so much skin revealed.... naturally, they ain't wearing one!".

No, don't take it seriously, just go along with the joke.
Old 2009-04-11, 12:28   Link #359
BiFr0st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copycatken View Post

As for my impressions of the first episode, I enjoyed it although I was completely overwhelmed by the massive amount of mahjong terms used. Although the TL notes did help, I couldn't remember half of the terms they used. It was also apparent within the first 30 seconds of the show that yuri undertones would be quite present in the series. Seeing Saki ogle at Nodoka's chest and the ensuing constant blushing when they looked at each other was enough to determine that. The scene where Nodoka chased Saki under the rain cemented that impression.
I like the fact they didnt do any panty shots ^_^

Its such a great help to actually know and played Mahjong before =) I always played it when i was a kid against my grand parents... awesome game. Its actually quite easy to learn despite how it looks but the rules and scoring might take some time to remember.
BiFr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 14:06   Link #360
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiFr0st View Post
I like the fact they didnt do any panty shots ^_^
Who needs panty shots when you can get better fanservice?
Spoiler for Manga shot:

Also, loli maid is delicious.

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen