AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2011-09-28, 03:44   Link #221
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
I don't think it's entirely fair to compare A-1 Pictures with other studios though. Thanks to Aniplex, they have the immense connections (to animators and industry heavyweights. For projects, Aniplex is heavily involved with securing talent and building teams, even when working with independent studios), market know-how, and financial backing, so there's a huge advantage over other production houses.

The rise of A-1 is merely another sign of Aniplex's dominance in the market. For instance, they've also put out Oreimo and Madoka Magica over the past year. Before that, there was Bakemonogatari, Kara no Kyoukai, Angel Beats, and Durarara! In all cases, they created 20k+ sellers through studios that don't normally enjoy that level of success (i.e. the SHAFT titles have particularly visible differences in sales).
Wouldn't you have to discount Sunrise as well than since atm in a way they are to Bandai what A-1 is to Aniplex? The only show Sunrise has had sell over 10k without Bandai's involvement is Gintama. (Which is produced by Aniplex)

But whatever the point is that Aniplex is dominating the industry and the numbers certainly back it.

As per Something's breakdown.

Breakdown by Distributor:
Aniplex - 25
Geneon - 13
Bandai - 12
King Records - 10
Kadokawa - 9
Media Factory - 7
Pony Canyon - 7
Avex Trax - 2
VAP Inc - 1

And you mention how Aniplex's involvement leads to studio's selling far better than the usually do.

SHAFT's 2 biggest successes in Bake and Madoka are both Aniplex monsters, I believe Hidamari is the 3rd best selling SHAFT show and is also an Aniplex product.

The only 3 shows Bones have that have cracked 10K+ are also all from Aniplex, the only P.A Works show on the list is again Aniplex, AIC;s OreMo is their best selling title of the last 11 years, the biggest Gainax hit in the last decade is another Aniplex production. All 3 of the Brains Base shows are again Aniplex productions, DRR as you mentioned and Natsume s1 + s2.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 22:12   Link #222
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Spoiler for What anime fans like:
Old 2011-09-28, 22:21   Link #223
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Makes one wonder what would happen if they remade Sailor Moon (without filler since the story is done), keeping the story, but with modern animation and voice work.

Though the thing I've seen the least of of late is Space Opera anime. Aside from say the Yamato movies and the coming 3D Harlock movie...what else is there that is spaceships and such.
Old 2011-09-28, 23:37   Link #224
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Interesting list, although the the anime originals bit was pretty obvious looking at recent sales.

Not sure about Sankaku's commentary since terms like comedy, gorgeous art, emotional, romance, and "all star seiyuu cast" are extremely easy to link with bishoujo anime. Probably trying to evoke a siege mentality among bishoujo fans. or some similar trolling purpose.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-28, 23:45   Link #225
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
The anime originals bit is probably why writers like Mari Okada and Gen Orobuchi is getting a lot of praise as of late.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 03:17   Link #226
AleX_MytH

Only 3438 votes? This is not enough to convince anime producers.
AleX_MytH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 09:46   Link #227
Westlo
Lets be reality

2011 has already seen quite a jump in anime original productions compared to the last couple of years... off the top of my head Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Tiger & Bunny, AnoHana, Sacred Seven, Phi-Brain, Gundam AGE, Last Exile 2, Un-Go, Guilty Crown.

Out of the first 5 I listed all have sold rather well except for Sacred Seven which only did 2k BD and didn't rank in DVDs.
Old 2011-09-29, 10:24   Link #228
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
2011 has already seen quite a jump in anime original productions compared to the last couple of years... off the top of my head Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days, Tiger & Bunny, AnoHana, Sacred Seven, Phi-Brain, Gundam AGE, Last Exile 2, Un-Go, Guilty Crown.
Er...UN-GO technically isn't an anime original - it's based on/inspired by a collection of short stories by Sakaguchi Ango...

Though there certainly seems to have been an increase in originals this year nonetheless...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 14:21   Link #229
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleX_MytH View Post
Only 3438 votes? This is not enough to convince anime producers.
Market studies usually only have a few thousand respondents in their calculations. That said, I don't know if this was a professional study or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Penguindrum and Blood-C are the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Er...UN-GO technically isn't an anime original - it's based on/inspired by a collection of short stories by Sakaguchi Ango...
It's still anime original. Besides losely basing the characters on the ones from the novels (very losely) and having a somewhat similar premise, it doesn't appear to actually adapt the novels.
Old 2011-09-29, 14:56   Link #230
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Yeah I definitely don't think we need any more comedy/gag anime right now.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 15:11   Link #231
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
About that list - It's Top 26 out of 50. So 20 on is just "middle of the pack", really. The Top 3 also dominate in votes to a significant degree, and there's another significant drop off after the Top 10. So, I think there's some value in the Top 10 listed elements here, but beyond that I'm not so sure.

I also don't think this has much to say about bishoujo unless "bishoujo" itself is one of the options in 26 on (I don't know, as I can't read Japanese).

I do think it's fair to say that "Emotional anime originals that last longer than two seasons and which have gorgeous art" would probably do quite well right now.
Old 2011-09-29, 16:10   Link #232
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I do think it's fair to say that "Emotional anime originals that last longer than two seasons and which have gorgeous art" would probably do quite well right now.
And this sort of makes sense when you consider that the trend over the last 5 years or so has been shorter, cheaper productions that are sometimes seen as cheap "cash-ins" of existing novels/games/etc. As tends to be the case, the pendulum swings too far in one direction, and so there's a counter-shift the other way. The problem is that there's such a long lead-time on productions that the shows we're seeing now are the result of decisions made 1-2 years ago. That said, we're starting to see the fruit of some of the changes, with the anime market being up in the first half of 2011 (despite disasters and crazy market conditions).
Old 2011-09-29, 17:22   Link #233
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I don't know. Points #2-10 could all describe another CLANNAD.

edit: Well, another thing like CLANNAD.

Last edited by Decagon; 2011-09-29 at 17:29. Reason: -
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-30, 02:20   Link #234
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuku View Post
Penguindrum and Blood-C are the others.
You know we both forgot Madoka.... Looking @ how original animations have done this year so far...

Titanic Hit - Madoka
Smash Hit - AnoHana, Tiger & Bunny
Success - Hanasaku Iroha, Dog Days
Flop - Sacred Seven, C, Blood-C, Fractale

Penguin Drop still to come from what has already aired, Fall to bring Phi-Brain, Gundam AGE, Last Exile 2, Un-Go and Guilty Crown to the table.

I count 7 from last year though I'm sure I missed something(s), Sora no Woto, Heroman, Angel Beats, Nightraid, Occult Academy, Star Driver, Panty & Stocking.

Next year so far you have Aquarion EVOL, Rinne no Lagrange, Natsuiro Kiseki by Sunrise starring Sphere, Ano Natsu de Matteru from the Onegai Team, Code Geass in some form, I think Tomino has a new project in the works as well but I don't know if that will be TV. Wouldn't be surprised to see sequels to Tiger and Bunny and Dog Days next year too..
Old 2011-09-30, 08:06   Link #235
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

What is with that JC Staff project that's reported by Danny Choo?
That's original anime project for next year too?
Old 2011-09-30, 08:17   Link #236
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Mirai Millenium.
Old 2011-09-30, 08:38   Link #237
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And this sort of makes sense when you consider that the trend over the last 5 years or so has been shorter, cheaper productions that are sometimes seen as cheap "cash-ins" of existing novels/games/etc. As tends to be the case, the pendulum swings too far in one direction, and so there's a counter-shift the other way. The problem is that there's such a long lead-time on productions that the shows we're seeing now are the result of decisions made 1-2 years ago. That said, we're starting to see the fruit of some of the changes, with the anime market being up in the first half of 2011 (despite disasters and crazy market conditions).
Agreed. Pendulum swings can indeed take some added time to happen in anime due to the long lead-time on productions (Madoka Magica was actually in production three years, IIRC).

That being said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I don't know. Points #2-10 could all describe another CLANNAD.

edit: Well, another thing like CLANNAD.
True. And Point #1 could simply be saying that if the only way to get another Clannad is through an anime original work, then so be it.

I myself would like to see another anime like Clannad. We haven't had anything quite like it (in all respects, including romance) since Clannad itself, imo.
Old 2011-09-30, 13:41   Link #238
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Agreed. Pendulum swings can indeed take some added time to happen in anime due to the long lead-time on productions (Madoka Magica was actually in production three years, IIRC).
Well, Madoka was actually a three year delay. Aniplex said that the script was finished in 2008, but they waited until circumstances at SHAFT were ideal instead of ramming it through production come hell or high water. Under a typical arrangement, it would've aired long ago.

At any rate, the production shift was predicted (cutting down the number of productions allowed for a transition even as budgets continued to decline), so it's good to see it actually come true.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-01, 03:18   Link #239
AleX_MytH

Quote:
Market studies usually only have a few thousand respondents in their calculations. That said, I don't know if this was a professional study or not.
It looks like an ordinary site/magazine poll which isn't represent tastes of different social groups. Of course, I can't be sure.
AleX_MytH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-04, 06:10   Link #240
kimpleng
Lurker

I've already ctrl+f page 11 and 12. Cannot found Fractale sales beside some talk about 1 frt = 883. So... any new info about total sales of each BD volume?
kimpleng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sales, statistics