AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-05-24, 11:16   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

"Retired" forum

We have now introduced a new Retired sub-forum under Older Series.

At this point in time the following sub-forums are due to be moved into the Retired forum.

Air
Chrno Crusade
Fullmetal Alchemist
KonoMini
Midori no Hibi
Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Once upon a time...
Members of AnimeSuki created so much discussion about certain anime series that we needed to create new sub-forums to accommodate it all. Members continued to contribute to these sub-forums for a long time and a lot of fun was had by those who visited. However, as all good things must come to an end we feel it is time to set aside some of the older series specific sub-forums to make room for newer sub-forums.

What does this actually mean?
This does not mean that these sub-forums will disappear completely, just that it should not occupy space on the main index page. We have moved them into this Retired section, under Older Series Discussion, and will no longer accept requests for new threads. In addition, many of the existing threads will be closed, leaving just a few important ones open to continue any future discussion. If you wish to discuss these series further, please do so in one of the open threads.
If a series has an announcement for a new season or an OVA then it will be moved out to the Retired forum to the Current Series forum.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 12:15   Link #2
Rahan

What are the criteria for "retiring" a forum ? Is it related to the airing date of the show or the number of posts in the section ?

With only one post in May, I would have expected the AMG forum to go down instead of the Monster one which seems a little less dead.
(edit nevermind, those were just old threads bumping yesterady, the Monster forum was dead too, but I still see no reason to keep the AMG thread on the first page)

Last edited by Rahan; 2008-05-24 at 12:26.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 12:43   Link #3
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Is it related to the airing date of the show or the number of posts in the section ?
It's a combination of when a series was last aired (note: not when the series started but when it ended) and the level of activity in the sub-forum.

My personal preference would be to use the air date of the last episode and retire forums once this has past the 3 year mark but this isn't the only criteria we will use.

At this point in time the six series that will be moved had finished over 3 years ago (except for Monster which finished about 2 years and 8 months go).

Last air dates
10.06.04 Chrno Crusade
18.06.04 KonoMini
27.06.04 Midori no Hibi
02.10.04 Fullmetal Alchemist
01.04.05 Air
28.09.05 Monster

There are going to be some exceptions to this, FMP is rather active due to the novel releases for the moment so it may not be moved after 3 years (it would be due since it last aired on 20.10.05).

AMG last aired on 25.07.06 and last time I checked (on 25.04.08) had 145 posts in the previous 100 days.
Monster on the other hand only had 25 posts between 01.01.08 and 29.04.06
Old 2008-05-24, 12:57   Link #4
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Has the nice effect of giving finished series with subforums a home like the other finished single thread series forums ....
Old 2008-05-24, 12:59   Link #5
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Can I suggest? Asatte no Houkou was posted on recently, but except for that recent post the second most recent post was in 2007.

Last edited by KholdStare; 2008-05-24 at 13:18.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 13:21   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Can I suggest? Asatte no Houkou wasted posted on recently, but except from that recent post the second most recent post was in 2007.
Yes we are well aware that certain sub-forums have not had much activity so we don't really need reminding Asatte no Houkou may well be retired later in the year.

And before anyone points out that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien finished airing on 04.01.04, there is a new OVA due this year so due to this it will not be retired yet.
Old 2008-05-24, 13:41   Link #7
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Without this thread, I would not have noticed the new change (at least not right away). >_< !

This of course, makes me believe that an announcement on the forum main page might be helpful for all those people that never bother with the feedback section in the first place.
Old 2008-05-24, 13:46   Link #8
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

I personally would like to see the "no new threads" part modified. I understand if you would like to cut down on the threads, but i think request should still be taken, maybe with a little more strictness on what qualifies. Other than that, i like the idea as a whole.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 13:54   Link #9
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
In addition, many of the existing threads will be closed, leaving just a few important ones open to continue any future discussion.
Might I suggest that, for Monster, you keep the stickies (except for "Requests for New Threads," of course) and at least the "generic," "Another Monster," and "Kinderheim 511" threads? Maybe the "Final Thoughts" sticky can be merged with the generic thread. As for the other threads, even the one discussing the final episode hasn't seen any postings in almost a year, so it can probably safely be closed.

This is the only series subforum to which I subscribe, and I'll be quite happy to see it replaced with a single ongoing discussion thread like "Monster -- Generic's Evil Twin" or whatever it turns out to be.

Edit: Ah, I guess the choices were already made. I refreshed my CP and suddenly xris was at the top of the list in Monster. We'll I'd still like to see those two threads I mentioned maintained, but it's not that big a deal.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-24, 14:06   Link #10
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
I personally would like to see the "no new threads" part modified. I understand if you would like to cut down on the threads, but i think request should still be taken, maybe with a little more strictness on what qualifies. Other than that, i like the idea as a whole.
This is part of the reason why The forum is now retired sticky has been left open.

This batch of 6 sub-forums just retired are a bit of an odd bunch since some of them are rather old and as such the threads inside them are rather "unstructured" For example the Fullmetal Alchemist sub-forum has nearly 600 threads and not one actually seemed to discuss the overall story.

I would suggest that if there are threads that are missing or needed (and I'm sure thare are) then please request them in the The forum is now retired sticky or in this thread (which might be the better place to ask). Just make sure the request is something that is really needed and not a "Favourite Character" poll or similar (such threads have rather missed the boat by now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'd still like to see those two threads I mentioned maintained, but it's not that big a deal.
The two threads in question have been left open now.
Old 2008-05-24, 14:38   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
The two threads in question have been left open now.
Thanks, xris!
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-26, 23:39   Link #12
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Regarding the Full Metal Alchemist sub-forum...

Now that a Full Metal Alchemist second season has been officially announced, shouldn't the forum be upgraded from retired to older series for the time being? According to the retired forum guidelines

Quote:
The Fullmetal Alchemist sub-forum will remain retired like this until there is a good reason for it to be revived, such as the announcement of a new season, OVA or movie.
It should be a good enough qualification, not to mention that it being more visible in the forum index would encourage more discussion and whatnot.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-27, 02:22   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Yes. We will move the forum back to Older very soon, then to Current closer to the air date.
Old 2008-10-01, 09:49   Link #14
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

I was actually wondering about that myself, so glad to see that resolved.

I still find it ironic that the forum was retired several days before information of a new series appeared.
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote