AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2013-05-29, 22:57   Link #1
Tsubie
L-E Staff Translator
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Tsubie
Hardsubbing on macs?

Hi

I am one of those STEM grad students who has only used linux/macs ever since I've started working in this field. It's hard to do any sort of encoding work without a windows computer at my disposal. I am trying to hardsub some of the stuff I've worked on to put up on my Youtube fansub channel (currently I am having to convert everything to .srt and upload as a timed caption file, thereby stripping all the typesetting work) but I have had only failed attempts via my mac. So while I understand encoding folks on macs happen to be a fairly rare species, I am sure we still have some mac-tards out here. Can someone help me figure out how to properly hardsub soft-subbed releases on a mac? Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I am sorry if I am using the wrong jargons, really sleepy at the moment lol.)

Last edited by Tsubie; 2013-05-29 at 23:24.
Tsubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 04:37   Link #2
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsubie View Post
Hi

I am one of those STEM grad students who has only used linux/macs ever since I've started working in this field. It's hard to do any sort of encoding work without a windows computer at my disposal. I am trying to hardsub some of the stuff I've worked on to put up on my Youtube fansub channel (currently I am having to convert everything to .srt and upload as a timed caption file, thereby stripping all the typesetting work) but I have had only failed attempts via my mac. So while I understand encoding folks on macs happen to be a fairly rare species, I am sure we still have some mac-tards out here. Can someone help me figure out how to properly hardsub soft-subbed releases on a mac? Thanks in advance!

(P.S. I am sorry if I am using the wrong jargons, really sleepy at the moment lol.)
ffmpeg (http://ffmpeg.gusari.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=34) allows you to burn in ass subtitles without avisynth.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 03:40   Link #3
sneaker

Or HandBrake.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 14:49   Link #4
onetimeposter

hi. i've created an account here only to reply to your post.

this has troubled me for years. i sometimes need to hardsub foreign-language films for my dad to watch on his old dvd player. neither handbrake nor ffmpeg or other nasty, outdated contraptions ever worked for me.

but today i've discovered a really simple solution:

1. download and install Perian (i have version 1.2.3). it allows you to play most video formats and subtitles in quicktime which does not otherwise support them.

2. convert the subtitle file into .srt or another perian-compatible format (you might want to use jubler for this, it shouldn't be too difficult), give the subtitle file the same name as the movie file and place it in the same folder with the movie so that perian can automatically find it later.

3. open the movie with quicktime (i have version 10.0). it should now play with nice, large and bold subtitles. go to save as... . choose your directory and change the default "movie" format* to e.g. HD 480p. click save. you may now close the main movie window.

4. wait a while for the movie to convert and voila!

*the default "movie" format didn't work for me as it didn't hardsub the film, but only muxed the subtitles into the video in a single file container (similar to what they do with .mkv files).

hope this works for you and other people like myself who until now thought this was only possible on windows.

Last edited by onetimeposter; 2013-12-12 at 01:36.
onetimeposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-10, 15:51   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
I'll second this recommendation.
Old 2013-12-11, 07:35   Link #6
onetimeposter

of course my method may not solve the problems of those who want to use specific typesetting, font colors, sizes etc. as probably is the case with Tsubie who might need to look for more complex tools, but for all the others, who just need plain and simple hardsubbing done on a mac, this is the perfect solution.
onetimeposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-11, 08:20   Link #7
sneaker

HandBrake isn't all that complex. Just load the source file, go to the subtitles tab, add the subtitle and check "Burn In". No extracting or additional tools needed and it even keeps the fonts, stylings and animations. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-04-28, 17:59   Link #8
winecouple0137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
HandBrake isn't all that complex. Just load the source file, go to the subtitles tab, add the subtitle and check "Burn In". No extracting or additional tools needed and it even keeps the fonts, stylings and animations. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
I am having the same problem and have tried with Handbrake but it only takes .srt files
winecouple0137 is offline   Reply With Quote