AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Myself; Yourself

Notices

View Poll Results: Myself; Yourself - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 43 18.61%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 16.45%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 39 16.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 52 22.51%
6 out of 10 : Average 23 9.96%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 3.03%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 4.76%
3 out of 10 : Bad 6 2.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 1.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 9 3.90%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-12-27, 00:20   Link #101
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
I don't know if you're speaking from experience or know someone with that had that kind of situation. But I feel NoSanninWa is right. Unless the parent really understand their kid and knows and cares about how they feel, then it's best to give them what they want which in this case was Sana wanted to go back to where he used to live, and his aunt could watch over him in favor of his parents. I feel it works really well. Hell I wish I had that kind of opportunity when i was younger >_>...

Well Skyfall pretty much said everything I would've liked to, but since i pretty much SUCK at writing a nice "article" like him/her, I will just stick to my quick little comments.

The ep was pretty much acceptable, I was right about someone burning the house to cover up a dead body, but I guessed it was grandpa killed son, meh, close enough. Btw, she was dead first right? Who really knows? black blood, black oil, is it only oil? or some blood? oh well.

Now before my next part (rant?), I would like to mention I love it when anime gives an epilogue, with that said.

Now, i would've givin this ep maybe, say a 9. But the ending totally ruined it for me, 10 yrs? wtf? to far, give me something like 5... Besides, Hinako only looks 5 yrs older, and about her, damn! NO! To me, that hair style does not suit her with that mature body.

Aoi still the same, voice didn't mature at all... *shivers*

Didnt get to see Sana propose, oh well. Didnt bother show the faces of the twins, what's the point in that?

But the thing that annoyed me the most about this ep is the "concert". First of all, I hated that the animation was much to obvious (or didn't even try) to match the melody of the violin. And second, I don't know if it's maybe poor sound quality, but that peice was so bland.... I even tried listening to it without watching the anime itself thinking what I was seeing was making me dislike it... Didn't work . Being a violin lover (not a fanatic tho ) it just annoyed me and made me rate it lower. Give me the animation quality of Haruhi concert anyday (strange I only nitpick about animation quality when it comes to music ).

But since I liked how everything was (kinda) before the 10 yr skip. I shall give this a...

7/10
i'm glad i'm not speaking from experience........i'm stating base on my own logic, not everyones else logic......

if anyone here has a teenager that survie a suicide and you as a parent let them live by themselfs (not under the same roof) under the care of a friend or relative, explain why you would make that decision......

i hope this situation will never come to me but if something similiar happens i know i wont be like sana's parents

Last edited by bbduece; 2007-12-27 at 00:38.
Old 2007-12-27, 00:33   Link #102
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
a terribly written ending to a terrible written series, well what more can I say?

I did like the fact that Nanaka's mom was a slut and her dad kill her for it. And that they finally took away all doubt regardings the twins. Twincest ftw? Why the heck is Hinako hanging out with a 16 year old when shes 21? I'm guessing she met him the way the others met her when she was in elementary school? And lmfao, at his name being Shouta, I guess Hinako like 'em young eh?
She met him during the time that all the gang went to the amusement park with Hinako and they met Asumi. He is her cousin, Hinako and Youta went inside the hunted house together and seems the boy took a liking to her when he was 6. Now he is dating a 21 year old and he is just 16.
Old 2007-12-27, 00:34   Link #103
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbduece View Post
well yea anything is possible, maybe after he attepmted the suicide and lives through it, he becomes the perfect son......and wont do stupid things....

easier said than done...i dont know if you are a parent or not but i cant do it - not in that situation, a 15 years old out ot kill himself.....its just not an option...i mean he couldnt make a sane decision so he try to take his own life, what makes me think he can make decisions living by himself.....a kid that confuse i would not let him live by himself...15 years is too young after a suicidal attempt to be living by himself...maybe if he was little older

maybe japense culture is different i dont know, my USA influences - chinese culture and upbringing states otherwise
Chinese culture related to raising children, especially the one that encourages the idea that children are some kind of retirement fund gets my goat.

But lets put that aside. You didn't answer my question of how would you have dealt with Sana.

Also have you ever been bullied? If not I hope you never experience it. Bullies use the same methods as blackmailers and child molesters do. They'll threaten you in some way to prevent you from getting help from others. The lock you into your own mind and just keep hammering away until that person breaks or hopefully is able to fight back.

Sana's personality is pretty passive so it makes sense he ended up breaking.

Have you ever seen what a depressed person is like? Would you know how to deal with it? Have you seen what a suicidal person is like?

Have you ever been a parent? More importantly have you even been a parent to a bullied person?
Old 2007-12-27, 00:37   Link #104
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well now I didn't really like this episode very much. Maybe I set the bar way too high, but Nanaka's past was overshadowed by Shuri, Shuu, and Asami's "arc" so overall, the ending didn't quite have all the impact I was hoping for. Sana's past was told in approximately 4 seconds, and the conversations between Sana and Nanaka wasn't romantic or dramatic. Nanaka's past was quite interesting, however, because even though it wasn't surprising that the uncle didn't do it/Nanaka's dad did it, the part where dad isn't the biological father was well done.

This episode could've survived with an 8/10 but I saw Shuri and Shuu holding hands at the end for some reason. Due to me being an optimist, I will subtract one point for ambiguity instead of subtracting 8 points for pure irony and annoyance.

Overall, I gave the episode a 7/10, but the interesting thing is if certain episodes preceding this were not shown/not so great, then I would probably have rated the ending maybe a 9/10.

The series as a whole deserves a 8/10 for some excellent episodes and great direction, animation, and music.
Old 2007-12-27, 00:50   Link #105
lftwgr

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobiknight0 View Post
Why does Yuzuki-sensei not age!?
Which begs the question - why is Aoi-chan exactly the same!?

Overall, I found the chosen leads (Sana and Nanaka) to be pretty blah compared to Hinako and the twins (and not just because of the implied twincest).

Wished they'd flesh out their stories more before crashing and burning in a 'Ten Years Later' epilogue.
Old 2007-12-27, 00:53   Link #106
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
Didnt get to see Sana propose, oh well. Didnt bother show the faces of the twins, what's the point in that?
that was a symblism from the director and it is used a lot in anime, in this case means that the twins even though they are in the concert, they are still distant from everyone due to the situation. If you were in their situation, you wouldn't want anyone to know where you live and take the chance that is revealed that you are siblings. It is used to make the audience think when they only show the mouth and not the eyes and when they don't show the face at all is for shame. We don't know if they are still are young or old. It probably was not an easy road for them.
Old 2007-12-27, 01:03   Link #107
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by lftwgr View Post
Which begs the question - why is Aoi-chan exactly the same!?

Wished they'd flesh out their stories more before crashing and burning in a 'Ten Years Later' epilogue.
They have the secrets of immortality.
Well, it could be because the people creating the anime got lazy and didn't want to find a new voice actor for Aoi or draw a new appearance for Yuzuki.

The writer got lazy. They used to time-jump to avoid thinking up a script for what Hinako and Asami would think on the twins' disappearance, avoid thinking about a script for what the twins' father would do on their disappearance and the step-mom, and avoid anything else involving the characters afterwards.
They used the time-jump to just emotionlessly go "Okay. So everyone lives happily, ever after. You happy, me happy. No, don't question us on what happened before the time-jump. My head hurts."

Oh, but it's nice they put in Youta. Proves they didn't forget the minor, minor character, even though his appearance is almost a rip-off of Renji from Ef.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2007-12-27, 01:19   Link #108
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Yeah very lazy. I don't mind the happy ending(I was hoping they wouldn't have a tragic one since these poor kids had crap after crap hit them), but they could have done a better filler.
Old 2007-12-27, 01:20   Link #109
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I'm surprised at how understated people's reactions ITT have been to the timeskip. Let's not pull punches on this. The timeskip was f***ing terrible.
Meh. I'd have been more upset if only the show had been otherwise better.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2007-12-27, 01:28   Link #110
bbduece
Ultimate Coordinator

Quote:
Chinese culture related to raising children, especially the one that encourages the idea that children are some kind of retirement fund gets my goat.
wow......i dont really understands this statement

Quote:
Also have you ever been bullied? If not I hope you never experience it. Bullies use the same methods as blackmailers and child molesters do. They'll threaten you in some way to prevent you from getting help from others. The lock you into your own mind and just keep hammering away until that person breaks or hopefully is able to fight back.

Sana's personality is pretty passive so it makes sense he ended up breaking.

Have you ever seen what a depressed person is like? Would you know how to deal with it? Have you seen what a suicidal person is like?

Have you ever been a parent? More importantly have you even been a parent to a bullied person?
so sana has to move away....the parents need to find some way to move along with him or make some kind of compromise/sacrifice, leaving the child alone is what i don't agree with and dont see that as a realistic option....the parents need to be there especially after this kind of incident....

-seems like we are deviating from the debate so i will reiterate-
anyways the whole time i was debating the parents decision to let the kid live alone, which i dont agree with, when someone goes in to suicidal mode, it means that person ran out of options and as a parent u need to be there for them and get through it not let them solo, maybe many years have pass since the incident but still 15 year old kid is too young to live alone after this conditions...

the reason i brought out my heritege is because i was stating that cultural differences might make different decisions in these situations.....

btw i dont see why i cant take care of my parents since they are retiring soon? they gave me life and more....

retirement fund huh??? LOL.....

Last edited by bbduece; 2007-12-27 at 01:47.
Old 2007-12-27, 01:41   Link #111
DanielSong39

As expected the show ends with a thud.

A mishmash of plot elements that should've been introduced and built on EARLIER in the story. I would've had a lot more sympathy for Nanaka had they done so. A lame, anticlimactic epilogue to finish off the series that only serves as an unwarranted shortcut - would've preferred to see a snapshot of each character in the near, and not the distant, future. Leaves more to the imagination.

The worst part about all this is the Shuu/Shuri deal is never satisfactorily resolved. The **** should have hit the fan after what they pulled - the show generated a lot of momentum from their elopement and should have carried it out to the bitter end instead of giving us this **** ending.

Final power rankings:

1. Hinako - perhaps the only good thing about this show.

2. Yuzuki - still single? Looks like there are a lot of blind men out there...

3. Aoi - a static, one-dimensional character that ironically showed a lot of promise in the beginning.

4. Asami - redeems herself and goes back to being the nice girl she really was... at least, that's the hope. Maybe she really did see Shuu and Shuri do the deed, and they were lying?

5. Nanaka - I don't think going suicidal is the best way to elicit sympathy - it was the last straw for me. She gets a big red X. As for her future - a professional violinist?! Give me a break. Check this, this, and this for an idea of how well future pros can play at age 10. Even I could play circles around her at that age.

6. Shuri - Went the twincest route and didn't even give us Iku's angst or Nanoka's exuberance.

More in the final review - along with my final score. (and trust me, it will be a bad one.)
Old 2007-12-27, 01:48   Link #112
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by "bbduece
so sana has to move away....the parents need to find some way to move along with him or make some kind of compromise/sacrifice, leaving the child alone is what i don't agree with and dont see that as a realistic option....the parents need to be there especially after this kind of incident....
No, the parents failed as parents as soon as he tried to kill himself. It's kind of a parent's mission to not let their kid end up in the obituaries, especially by his own hand. They have 2 solutions. Try to smother him with "affection", or send him away from the cause of his suicidal grief. Obviously, they couldn't go with him, otherwise they would have. Even if you claim that he is "alone", he is in fact, not. I'm obligated to think that Aoi checked up on him daily. Not because she knew about the suicide attempt, but because that's the kind of person Aoi is. This can be seen by how she casually barges into Sana's room without knocking, just to find him in passionate embrace with a loli. Apparently, people are just nicer in the old town. Coming back made him instantly less of a target. I guess that could be Shuu's doing too though. No one wants to mess with Shuu.
Old 2007-12-27, 01:49   Link #113
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Well at least you guys got it easy. This is my favorite show of this season and it ended (IMO) badly, so it was a heavier thud for me!
Old 2007-12-27, 01:50   Link #114
DanielSong39

Um, the parents didn't try to kill Sana.

It may be an oversimplification but when a person goes suicidal the blame, if any, rides with the person who makes the attempt.

Of course, the best cure for a suicidal guy is to enter a rocky relationship with a bipolar, suicidal girl who slaps him without cause and goes ballistic for spending time with another girl...
Old 2007-12-27, 01:57   Link #115
Grimkill7
Inattentive Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

It may be an oversimplification but when a person goes suicidal the blame, if any, rides with the person who makes the attempt.

Of course, the best cure for a suicidal guy is to enter a rocky relationship with a bipolar, suicidal girl who slaps him without cause and goes ballistic for spending time with another girl...
It IS the best cure because they can relate to each other
Old 2007-12-27, 02:01   Link #116
DanielSong39

Given the track record for relationships in this anime, I fully expect those two to meet similar fates as Shuri/Shuu, their parents, and Nanaka's parents... not sure who will come between them, but Asami is as good a guess as any...

Maybe Sana should've taken a cue from Yuzuki and remained single?
Old 2007-12-27, 02:03   Link #117
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Well at least you guys got it easy. This is my favorite show of this season and it ended (IMO) badly, so it was a heavier thud for me!
Well, there is ef ~ a tale of memories. Give it a shot if you haven't already. It's one of those rare shows that manages to weave several subplots together into a coherent whole.
Old 2007-12-27, 02:23   Link #118
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post

Errrm unless the bullies came up with a novel way to keep Sana from asking them for help, then they did fail. Too many parents put their kids in a position that they don't feel that it is right to speak to them about something like this. Parenting isn't just about being the overlord god king in someone's life. Maybe if they were also friends as well as parents then Sana might have been able to confide in them.

End of the day it seems to me that Sana wasn't able to confide in them, and if he did then his attempt to take away his life shows that they really did fail.

Also I would have thought that any normal person would blame the bullies for pushing Sana into the situation rather then blame Sana. Let me guess most people who get raped only have themselves to blame?
Old 2007-12-27, 02:42   Link #119
Arkuatic

The Perfect 13 series anime ever imo. The ending wasn't anything cheesy, lacking in detail, or a hanger yet it satisfied the heart's desires and overall my favorite anime.
Old 2007-12-27, 03:10   Link #120
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Ok about Sana's parents sending him away....

Well I'm going to talk from experience. My friend actually tried to kill himself around a year ago.

His parents and I both realized he was depressed, but we never even began to surmount the possibility of him trying to kill himself. We were always asking what was wrong and we couldn't do anything. In the end it really is the person's fault for not opening up.

Suicidal people are very difficult to deal with, I can tell you that. Its like you now have to watch every single word that comes out of your mouth because you are afraid for them. You start to look down on them for being weak, but you gain an unending pity for them. I actually felt sick just hanging around my friend after the incident. His parents were absolutely not able to do a thing for him. Because they are family it is kind of expected, people who are suicidal often need outside help to feel at ease. Due to my distant conduct that I usually take with most people I wasn't able to really comfort him. I had to introduce him to some other people whom he is now good friends with in order to make him feel better. My relationship with my friend was totally shattered ever since as all I feel while around him is guilt.

This is why I can understand why the parents let Sana go away. They are not able to do anything for him, but perhaps being in his old town would make him better. Sending him away is honestly a great idea, I wish my friend had that opportunity in life to do so as well.

Ok now I digress onto some random topic about M;Y in general. Throughout the show it seems to me like they cut out certain moments and not show them because they are too lazy to create the scene. They leave too many things that need to be assumed. Examples in this episode alone are the proposal, when Sana found Nanaka in the tub, the whole cut to the entire epilogue which happened to be shitty in general, etc. This anime really suffers from putting too much food on its own plate.

Sana's past was crappy. I'm sorry, but if you are going to be adding so many hints and build up to such an event for so many episodes then why the hell would they devote only like 1-2 minutes to it? The storyline behind the watch seemed to have way more significance than a simple bland bully-suicide story.

You know after careful review of this episode I realized I was being way too generous with a rating of an 8. It was completely bland and empty. I was left with nothing in this episode. I am bringing down my original rating to a 6. Nothing special abound this ending, nothing special about the story going on in general. The only good part was the Nanaka story which had its own fling, but even that had poor writing. Ok I'm going to stop here because I might even rate it lower if I go on.
Closed Thread