AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2008-09-29, 21:06   Link #181
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Soulja's hip hop today. What's the game right now anyways? All songs revolve around money, in different paraphrases. I personally came to like Soulja - he uses the internet, is someone teenagers probably cope to, and apparently a pretty face for the black ladies. Perhaps even others. In any case, he's also not plain stupid. His lyrical content ain't good obviously, but he's business smart and a good artist - the man produces his own tracks and everything. This guy gets more $$ than other artists making tracks because he does his own things.

Also, if you havn't seen his youtube videos (of which he updates and uploads frequently, I guess to keep in touch with the fans and play with them a bit at times, as well as making money, explained soon), he says he doesn't try very hard. Also, he does say that he's doing it for the money. He gets paid 2 cents per video view, and 15 cents per person commenting. Lol you should have seen it after he came out about that on his video. Everyone commenting was like "15 cents" or "I'll pay 15 cents to say you suck, or f you Soulja man" and of the like. Pretty jokes, society and how standalone complexes work . All in all, he's business smart. He even maintained his fanbase after all this too. Luck and timing's been with this man for the whole ride.

One is to live life as if nothing is a miracle.

The other way is to live life as though everything is a miracle.
ApostleOfGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 10:29   Link #182
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
I don't know why that guy gets talked about so much. It's not like that's the first time an artist has been successful with some (one?) really shitty tracks. Nobody cares about his music. At least not if they care about music in general. Heck, I haven't even heard the track in any club around here.

Anyway, while I don't want to diss your post as a whole, the sentiment quoted below is so misconceived that I can only call it stupid:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApostleOfGod View Post
he's (...) a good artist (...). This guy gets more $$ than other artists making tracks because he does his own things.
Old 2008-09-30, 15:30   Link #183
mg1942

meh Rich Boy beats Soulja in my books!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40xVfPHRQwo
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 16:23   Link #184
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

LOL
Of course he does ..
Look for his song Rollin Rollin its really good
Old 2008-09-30, 18:19   Link #185
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I don't know why that guy gets talked about so much. It's not like that's the first time an artist has been successful with some (one?) really shitty tracks. Nobody cares about his music. At least not if they care about music in general. Heck, I haven't even heard the track in any club around here.

Anyway, while I don't want to diss your post as a whole, the sentiment quoted below is so misconceived that I can only call it stupid:
He's more than your average One Hit Wonder. And his One Hit Wonder (Crank That) came at the right time with the right things. Especially with the dance, people jam into that stuff.

Not all hot songs are played at clubs. DJs probably don't love Soulja boy all that much either. Besides, club music is more techno than hip hop.

As for the blow at my post, instead of dotting it off to make things look useless and dumb to the point, you should try to understand the context I'm using it in. Since you understand that he became successful with garbage tracks, I'll go on to say that I don't remember saying he's a good rapper. Or a great musician. But the man makes music - hip hop music. The ones which are accepted today by people. And he gets fame and money for it. That's what matters to him anyways.

Once again, in that sense, he's business smart, and he's a good artist. Not a good rapper, but a good artist, because he meets certain criterias of a good artist. Yes, he lacks the "rapping" component, but he's still gettin' fame and gettin' paid for what he does. A rapper's rapping skills judge how good of a rapper he is. When you look at the theme of an artist, it takes on a broader picture. Thus, all I did was explain from a fair point of view and a bigger perspective.

Hope you can understand and change your mind about calling me stupid. Thanks.

Old 2008-09-30, 20:18   Link #186
mg1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
LOL
Of course he does ..
Look for his song Rollin Rollin its really good
Man i've been spoiled.

I think nothing from Rich Boy will ever be as good as "Throw some D's"

I swear, When I heard "Throw Some D's" debut back in December 2006 on radio, me and my friends went crazy! The chorus and the instrumental combination of that track was sick!
Old 2008-09-30, 20:53   Link #187
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
That song was my Jam for WEEKS! I still listen to it in my ipod. Throw some D's on that BEACH!!!

Throw some D's > Reportcard
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-30, 23:34   Link #188
Mueti
あ!

Send a message via ICQ to Mueti
Quote:
He's more than your average One Hit Wonder. And his One Hit Wonder (Crank That) came at the right time with the right things. Especially with the dance, people jam into that stuff.

Not all hot songs are played at clubs. DJs probably don't love Soulja boy all that much either. Besides, club music is more techno than hip hop.

As for the blow at my post, instead of dotting it off to make things look useless and dumb to the point, you should try to understand the context I'm using it in. Since you understand that he became successful with garbage tracks, I'll go on to say that I don't remember saying he's a good rapper. Or a great musician. But the man makes music - hip hop music. The ones which are accepted today by people. And he gets fame and money for it. That's what matters to him anyways.

Once again, in that sense, he's business smart, and he's a good artist. Not a good rapper, but a good artist, because he meets certain criterias of a good artist. Yes, he lacks the "rapping" component, but he's still gettin' fame and gettin' paid for what he does. A rapper's rapping skills judge how good of a rapper he is. When you look at the theme of an artist, it takes on a broader picture. Thus, all I did was explain from a fair point of view and a bigger perspective.

Hope you can understand and change your mind about calling me stupid. Thanks.
I don't know enough about how he does his business (say: whether he does it himself or not) to pass judgement here. Since he does sell I can't disagree with you though - the business side works.
Basically, our disagreement seems to come down to one word - artist. You're using it in a way I can't accept, art does not inherently have anything to do with how smart you're at making business. I don't think you can call him an artist at all.
Also, I didn't mean to call you stupid, if it came across that way, I apologise.
Old 2008-10-01, 15:02   Link #189
ApostleOfGod
^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueti View Post
I don't know enough about how he does his business (say: whether he does it himself or not) to pass judgement here. Since he does sell I can't disagree with you though - the business side works.
Basically, our disagreement seems to come down to one word - artist. You're using it in a way I can't accept, art does not inherently have anything to do with how smart you're at making business. I don't think you can call him an artist at all.
Also, I didn't mean to call you stupid, if it came across that way, I apologise.
Thanks for coming to terms. And yeah, I can see how "artist" doesn't suit your taste for what I'm trying to say, but its the word I see fit to use, I mean I can't say he's a good rapper right?

Basically, there are a lot of good rappers out there, unsigned hypes and other stuff, but I find that while they are rapping and perhaps making tracks, they havn't reached the point of becoming a "Rap Artist" you know? I know people like The Game, Snoop Dogg, Fifty, and those guys are Rap Artists. And if you take it in the context of Rap being a Spoken Word Art, Soulja doesn't come close to a good artist. But once again, I'm just using this term to say that he's done well in the rap industry thus far, as a whole. Clearly his lyrics aren't the astonishing aspect of his style. But he's still a rap artist, despite what he puts out. So basically, I guess I'm really just trying to give him credit as a rap artist for making it so far in the game, rather than just keeping low after his One Hit Wonder, which was Crank That (Soulja Boy).

My misuse of terminology my man. My bad. But yeah, Soulja's still at it. Fortunately, for his fanbase comprised of mainly girls, everything's cool; on the other hand, the misfortune is that he's shifting hip hop to fun and games, where "Real rap" doesn't really exist anymore. Just my 2 cents again.

Old 2008-10-01, 17:56   Link #190
XxChris43xX
Capoeira~Samurai

Send a message via AIM to XxChris43xX
Samurai Champloo Playlist

Samurai Champloo has the best hip hop beats I've ever heard made by Japanese artists/DJ's.
Old 2008-10-02, 21:34   Link #191
King Lycan
*IT Support

Mobb Deep is really good i love them
Old 2008-10-02, 22:21   Link #192
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Send a message via MSN to rainnydaiis
Does anyone listen to Common and Atmosphere? I've been listening to their music quite a bit as of lately. I use to listen to a huge load of Eminem / Tupac / Biggy / Bone thugs, but lately Commons music is addicting to me.
rainnydaiis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 09:51   Link #193
ApostleOfGod
^.^

I used to listen to Common - He's my type of guy, and so is Lupe, but for some reason some of their tracks don't really appeal to me. The Corner is one of the few Common tracks which I used to listen to. All in all, he's good and unique. I'm just not too fond of him yet.

Old 2008-10-04, 18:47   Link #194
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Quote:
I used to listen to Common - He's my type of guy, and so is Lupe, but for some reason some of their tracks don't really appeal to me. The Corner is one of the few Common tracks which I used to listen to. All in all, he's good and unique. I'm just not too fond of him yet.
Yeah I wasen't really fond of him either until I started listenig to his song I have a dream. After I heard that, I put it on repeat and just kept listening to it for a couple of days and then I decided to listen to his other stuff and it was to my liking.
Old 2008-10-05, 13:36   Link #195
mg1942

Here's Chris Rock talking about how hard it is to defend Rap Music and Hip Hop today...

Also mentioned: Tupac (THUG LIFE!), Lil' John (WHAT???)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9A2I...eature=related
Old 2008-10-05, 14:54   Link #196
LustfulEnvy
Casanova Extraordinaire
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to LustfulEnvy Send a message via MSN to LustfulEnvy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Here's Chris Rock talking about how hard it is to defend Rap Music and Hip Hop today...

Also mentioned: Tupac (THUG LIFE!), Lil' John (WHAT???)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9A2I...eature=related
Haha I lol'ed! The GOVERNMENT hates RAP! Its funny how he says SKEET-SkEET!
LustfulEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 16:22   Link #197
rainnydaiis
Let it Rain

Never Scared performance was wonderful, especially how he said its hard to defend rap, when all its talking about its sex/women/drugs/money. I found that part pretty interesting.
Old 2008-10-10, 21:21   Link #198
mg1942

Check out this new talent!

The best of late 2008!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnha_sN05Dk&fmt=18
Old 2008-10-12, 10:42   Link #199
King Lycan
*IT Support

I don't like that song >/<
How about T.I's new album ?
Old 2008-10-23, 16:14   Link #200
mg1942

This song is more than a decade old... and I still listen to it when I roll on the streets of Vegas Strip, Downtown LA and Compton

Last edited by mg1942; 2008-10-24 at 18:13.