AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2011-02-08, 17:09   Link #101
Kikaifan
Blazing General

I christen him Manoha!
Old 2011-02-08, 17:27   Link #102
Yasanagi
A Drifter...
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Yasanagi
Unfortunately, Thoma still has a long way to go before reaching true GAR levels.

Thanks to 00-Raiser for hooking me up with the sig!
Yasanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-08, 23:43   Link #103
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
What the HECK are you talking about, Kaijo?

I made that guess about six months ago in the Q&A section.
Sorry, I should have made it clearer that if was referring to both Isis being a combat cyborg *and* being somehow related to Karen (the crackpot theory is posted a page or two back). And this would be a follow on to my correct guessing that Corona's golem would have a rocket punch, and.... hmm, can't remember the other thing I predicted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin_Brett View Post
I dunno: what would that add to the story? It's not that big of a connection in this case.
It would tie Isis more firmly into the story (if she is somehow related to Karen). Instead of just being a girl that Touma hooked up with, it would turn out that she has a stake in all this. Because right now, she doesn't have much of a personal angle, other than betting a friendship on Touma and Lily.

For a more crackpot theory, this would make two sets of similar DNA... one infected with the Eclipse, and one that is not. Compare the two, and you may just discover the exact Eclipse mutation and a way to reverse it or cure it.

She is on the run, though, and seems like she doesn't want the Bureau finding her. If she is a combat cyborg, the Bureau might want to keep tabs on her, and she might have grown tired of being tracked all the time. Another interesting point: combat cyborgs have to have regular treatments so that they appear to grow. Isis being a petanko could very well be because she took off and is no longer getting the treatments.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:18   Link #104
Justin_Brett

Her being friends with Touma and Lily IS her stake in this - she's willing to risk her life to rescue him. Not every character has to be extremely complex to fit in a story.
Justin_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 00:26   Link #105
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
Her being friends with Touma and Lily IS her stake in this - she's willing to risk her life to rescue him. Not every character has to be extremely complex to fit in a story.
True, but I doubt it will go down that path. StrikerS did have Teana who didn't have much of a personal stake, but Subaru did. And Erio and Caro to degrees as well.

You can also think of Isis as the good guy version of the masked men in A's. They could have just been people who wanted the book to be completed, but at the end, we learn they do have a personal stake it in due to Graham, which affects the plot.
Old 2011-02-09, 00:27   Link #106
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Actually, Touma sort of looks like a male Nanoha with short hair if you squint. Maybe he's a clone of her.
Yep, his hairstyle resembles Nanoha's(alebit short), have blue eyes, brown/orange-ish hair and seems that his powers are mainly based on shooting/bombardement style.

Of course he's very different personality-wise, while he's the type of guy willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of othewrs Nanoha prefers to fight to rise on top and save the day.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 01:09   Link #107
Justin_Brett

You're...going to have to elaborate, Kaijo, because those two characters aren't alike in the slightest.
Old 2011-02-09, 01:27   Link #108
Kaijo
Banned

Getting a bit late, but I'll toss this out there and if it doesn't help, then I'll try to clarify tomorrow morning.

When the masked man showed up, he just seemed like someone who was on the side of the Wolkenritter. They wanted the book completed. They could have just been someone who came along and decided they wanted to see the book finished, maybe for pure destruction. Maybe because they were an old friend of the Wolkenritter. Sorta like Isis just joining the fight to help Touma.

What made the masked men more interesting, though, is that they were intimately connected with the book and the events, having a personal stake in it via Graham. They were tied to the plot in an interesting way.

That's what I'm hoping for with Isis, that she is tied to the plot in an interesting way, and not just as someone who wanted to help fight. My crackpot theory on Isis being a combat cyborg clone of pre-Eclipse Karen and thus somehow would represent a cure, is just one crazy idea on how she could be.

Though granted, none of the Huck's have commented anything like, "Hey, she looks a lot like..." so it's more likely that it's just because manga artists can't draw more than six faces, heh. (Akira Toriyama, I'm looking at you!)
Old 2011-02-09, 01:39   Link #109
Akiyoshi
The Flame Crussader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
That's what I'm hoping for with Isis, that she is tied to the plot in an interesting way, and not just as someone who wanted to help fight. My crackpot theory on Isis being a combat cyborg clone of pre-Eclipse Karen and thus somehow would represent a cure, is just one crazy idea on how she could be.
Another version of said crackpot theory can be that Isis will be "used" to cure Karen exclusively(being a copy of her DNA and some of her vital organs) but Isis refuse to be used as a box of "spare parts" for the woman she was cloned from(i know, i know, this is more or less the plot of "The Island" but it can sell xD).

Quote:
Though granted, none of the Huck's have commented anything like, "Hey, she looks a lot like..." so it's more likely that it's just because manga artists can't draw more than six faces, heh. (Akira Toriyama, I'm looking at you!)
Also Noizi Ito, the guy is good but her style didn't differ much from work to work, just look at Haruhi and Shana xDU.

...9 years ago, the day after never would be the same

~The ASFB~
Akiyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 12:25   Link #110
Justin_Brett

The only impression I got from the masked guy was that he was sketchy as ****, honestly. If he was friends with them, why hide his face?

And more to the point, if Isis is a clone of Karen, shouldn't she be showing signs of having the Infection too? It's the most obvious advantage to pass on to a manufactured human.
Old 2011-02-09, 12:38   Link #111
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
The only impression I got from the masked guy was that he was sketchy as ****, honestly. If he was friends with them, why hide his face?

And more to the point, if Isis is a clone of Karen, shouldn't she be showing signs of having the Infection too? It's the most obvious advantage to pass on to a manufactured human.
Good point, but it's why I think Isis might hold the key to a cure. Isis could be from a pre-eclipse sample of Karen, or Jail could have unknowingly figured out a cure by cloning Karen and straining out the Eclipse. Perhaps he was trying to gain the advantages of an Eclipse-infected person, without the disadvantages. It was research never brought to fruition, though, since Fate captured him before Isis was complete (and she was the first prototype, so didn't get much of the advantages, if any).

But if anything about this crackpot theory is true, I'm leaning towards Isis being from a pre-eclipse sample.
Old 2011-02-09, 13:02   Link #112
Koveras Alvane
Mastermind Rational
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Koveras Alvane Send a message via MSN to Koveras Alvane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasanagi View Post
Unfortunately, Thoma still has a long way to go before reaching true GAR levels.
Quoted for truth.

Quote:
I was under the impression that Tsuzuki was deconstructing the Mysterious Protector staple of maho shojo genre, and it hit quite close. ^^

Quote:
Good point, but it's why I think Isis might hold the key to a cure. Isis could be from a pre-eclipse sample of Karen, or Jail could have unknowingly figured out a cure by cloning Karen and straining out the Eclipse. Perhaps he was trying to gain the advantages of an Eclipse-infected person, without the disadvantages. It was research never brought to fruition, though, since Fate captured him before Isis was complete (and she was the first prototype, so didn't get much of the advantages, if any).

But if anything about this crackpot theory is true, I'm leaning towards Isis being from a pre-eclipse sample.
Actually, I think that Isis was made by the same guy who created the Type Zeroes. Unlike Scaglietti, he is still at large and has been so since 0064, at least. If you recall, Subaru and Ginga were captured/adopted by Quint just two years before Isis is believed to have been born: just enough time for whoever made S&G to create a replacement.

As for the connection to Karen, if it is, indeed, true that some sinister conspiracy (a.k.a. Scientists of Chapter One) is deliberately infecting people with Eclipse and the Hucks are the only ones who managed to escape, then it seems plausible to me that they would be connected to the creator of Type Zeroes and can potentially supply him with genetic material.

Karen appears to be in her mid-twenties, while Isis is 15. Meaning that even if Karen was infected at Stella's age, there would still be enough time to sample her genetic material for cloning Isis before that happened.
Old 2011-02-09, 14:17   Link #113
Justin_Brett

I love how Karen has these theories about her when we don't even know her definite personality yet.
Old 2011-02-09, 14:33   Link #114
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
bit OT, but masked dude in A's was designed to look like Clyde, no?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-09, 14:36   Link #115
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
bit OT, but masked dude in A's was designed to look like Clyde, no?
It was never mentioned but I sure as hell thought it was Clyde when the first one showed up.
Old 2011-02-10, 19:00   Link #116
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

*Reads Force 14 scans*

Again with the Huckbein murderstomping your heroes with cheapass broken god mode sue powers to prove they're hardcore, Tsuzuki? Much less the new super badass bitch who comes out of fucking nowhere? I've just about had it with you, you know.

*Insert Unstoppable Rage here*

The one bright spot to this chapter is that half the heroes are disabled but Subaru is taking to the field again. So the fight's not over yet and apparently Subaru has something up her sleeve that's supposed to tip the scales, or at least get everyone to safety.

Can we have Numbers reinforcements now, please?

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 19:04   Link #117
Laith
Even if it just for a bit
*Author

The numbers are enjoying their screentime in Vivid, (Different planet actually but hey) so no there will be not (admittedly awesome) Numbers reinforcement.
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 19:05   Link #118
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
You mean chapter 13, right?

And just because they're winning doesn't make them 'god mode sues.' Again, it's key to remember that this is still the introductory battle. You can't expect the heros to triumph on their first encounter.

Besides, the more they make you mad now, the more satisfied you'll be when the heros do save the day.
Old 2011-02-10, 19:10   Link #119
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
Winning makes them a sue? everything is a sue then, weirdo. They haven't officially won yet anyways

Its refreshing when an enemy is actually badass, you forget what series this is

Were you also one to complain that Jail was too weak of a villain?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-10, 19:20   Link #120
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
Winning makes them a sue? everything is a sue then, weirdo

Its refreshing when an enemy is actually badass, you forget what series this is
If my issue with the Hucks was that they were winning I'd still be whining about the Wolkenritter beating Nanoha and Fate back in A's. Winning with powers that completely break the setting is what makes them a sue. The enemy is only badass because they can shrug off everything the good guys can throw at them and instantly regenerate from everything that actually does damage.

It's like Aizen walked on stage and started curbstomping every good guy in sight.

Quote:
Were you also one to complain that Jail was too weak of a villain?
I don't believe I ever said that, no. If I did then I take it back.

If Jail was weak it was because he and the Numbers didn't get good enough fight scenes and so didn't really get to strut their stuff like, say, the Wolkenritter did (I'm still waiting for Cinque to get a fight scene to herself that doesn't involve Subaru more or less curbstomping her).

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga, nanoha force