Old 2013-10-25, 17:43   Link #281
deadsea

It was her fault at first, she tlls QB about madoka and old system
does everybody is alive in this world ?
Old 2013-10-25, 17:44   Link #282
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Well, the concept of Homura wanting to save Madoka (at least as Homura perceives it) by restoring Madoka to normal humanity (and then taking Madoka's ascended spot for her) is not necessarily a bad one. A lot would depend on the execution. Sadly, it sounds like the execution had some issues.
Old 2013-10-25, 17:51   Link #283
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
It was her fault at first, she tlls QB about madoka and old system
Well, she fucked up there, but she wasn't doing anything wrong. QB's just evil. If there's someone really evil in the story is him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
does everybody is alive in this world ?
Apparently. Even Sayaka gets to stay alive in Homukami's world, I think.
Old 2013-10-25, 17:55   Link #284
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, the concept of Homura wanting to save Madoka (at least as Homura perceives it) by restoring Madoka to normal humanity (and then taking Madoka's ascended spot for her) is not necessarily a bad one. A lot would depend on the execution. Sadly, it sounds like the execution had some issues.
They need to create a scenario where a new cast can thrive and for that they need a major goal.

Turning Homura into an evill goddess who suppresses Madoka's good ones allow for the next cast to oppose a defined threat rather than the vague universal cool down or a race of emotionless aliens.

QB took his last gamble and failed, the next series will deconstruct the concepts of Sailor Moon were a former super heroine fell to darkness and the new one must rise to free her from her suffering.
1337_haxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 17:58   Link #285
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337_haxor View Post
QB took his last gamble and failed, the next series will deconstruct the concepts of Sailor Moon were a former super heroine fell to darkness and the new one must rise to free her from her suffering.
They're not deconstructing anything with that plot. You can see it even in Precure.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:01   Link #286
LightDragonman

I guess we will have to wait till we see the film to judge if the execution was good or not.

Hopefully, it is at least better than Eva 3.0's.
LightDragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 18:02   Link #287
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightDragonman View Post
I guess we will have to wait till we see the film to judge if the execution was good or not.

Hopefully, it is at least better than Eva 3.0's.
Unquestionably it will be more profitable.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:03   Link #288
Kazu-kun

Quote:
What do you mean by "execution"?
Old 2013-10-25, 18:08   Link #289
LightDragonman

I mean in terms of how well it managed to pull it off. Like, does it feel believable, was it character-driven or plot-driven, is the writing strong enough to carry it through, etc.

And how exactly is it gonna be more profitable than 3.0?
Old 2013-10-25, 18:14   Link #290
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I mean in terms of how well it managed to pull it off. Like, does it feel believable, was it character-driven or plot-driven, is the writing strong enough to carry it through, etc.
Of course it doesn't feel believable. I mean, the movie is okay I guess, though a few things don't make much sense (like stopping witchification using technology, trapping Madokami inside Homura's sould gem, etc). The real issue is what happens in the epilogue. That's totally bonkers. Homura's characterization is pushed to the extremes (in a bad way) and the whole ending of the tv series is basically retconned. And this all happens in the freaking epilogue, when the movie is basically over already.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:18   Link #291
LightDragonman

So, can you say again how the ending was retconned?
Old 2013-10-25, 18:21   Link #292
Kazu-kun

Quote:
So, can you say again how the ending was retconned?
I'm talking figuratively. It wasn't really retconned. It just feels that what was achieved in the tv series was pointless.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:26   Link #293
LightDragonman

Starting to sound a lot like 3.0 in that regards.

I'll have to see it if it delivered better than that film.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:30   Link #294
woxx

Madokami's world (that was in episode 12.) was broken by incubators.
In Homura's world incubators are under control.
We have to watch to understand more.
woxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-25, 18:31   Link #295
1337_haxor

Cool Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I'm talking figuratively. It wasn't really retconned. It just feels that what was achieved in the tv series was pointless.
It's Urobuchi we are talking about not to mention this sequel wasn't planned in advance.

What did you expect, the original series was projected to wrap up around Madoka becoming a goddess and saving everyone at the cost of losing her physical existence and being apart from Homura until the latter's death.

The sequel couldn't happen in an universe where all conflicts were already solved so they had to create a 3rd universe with a conflict between Homura and Madoka on a cosmic scale.

Besides the theme of individual happiness versus collective happiness was Urobuchi's life conflict which is now being places spicitly in his most proeminent work.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:39   Link #296
Kazu-kun

Quote:
The sequel couldn't happen in an universe where all conflicts were already solved so they had to create a 3rd universe with a conflict between Homura and Madoka on a cosmic scale.
They could have come up with new conflicts. This was unnecessary imo.

Quote:
Besides the theme of individual happiness versus collective happiness was Urobuchi's life conflict which is now being places spicitly in his most proeminent work.
The problems with these sort of themes is that they don't really have answers, so the stories exploring this usually end up with anticlimactic endings that don't really amount to anything, or cheap ones that give easy but pointless answers.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:41   Link #297
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
They need to create a scenario where a new cast can thrive and for that they need a major goal.

Turning Homura into an evill goddess who suppresses Madoka's good ones allow for the next cast to oppose a defined threat rather than the vague universal cool down or a race of emotionless aliens.
I do think that Madoka Magica is at the point where it would benefit from a more conventional straight-up fighting villain that's very powerful. I'm not sure how I feel about Homura becoming that villain, but perhaps they could make it work.

Sailor Galaxia with the look and style of Rozen Maiden's Suigintou. Could be a great villain.

Quote:
Unquestionably it will be more profitable.
Madoka Magica is big, but NGE is still bigger. Let's not get carried away here, lol.

Quote:
Of course it doesn't feel believable. I mean, the movie is okay I guess, though a few things don't make much sense (like stopping witchification using technology, trapping Madokami inside Homura's sould gem, etc).
Well, it is magic. And I could see the Incubators being big enough dicks to only pull out the "stop witchification technology" when it serves their purposes. And I've read some good comic books with very similar stories.

I'm willing to let a lot slide with this show on the basic "suspension of disbelief" side. The key for me is simply liking how it handles the characters, and if its a good, emotionally satisfying/thought-provoking story.

Quote:
The real issue is what happens in the epilogue. That's totally bonkers. Homura's characterization is pushed to the extremes (in a bad way) and the whole ending of the tv series is basically retconned. And this all happens in the freaking epilogue, when the movie is basically over already.
By "epilogue" do you mean "after the credits roll"? Because if so, that's pretty wild, lol.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:44   Link #298
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
By "epilogue" do you mean "after the credits roll"? Because if so, that's pretty wild, lol.
Lol not after the credit. I said epilogue because the main conflict of the movie has being resolved by that point. Madoka has been saved and is a goddess again and the world has being restored. For all intense and purpose, what comes after that is epilogue.
Old 2013-10-25, 18:48   Link #299
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Lol not after the credit. I said epilogue because the main conflict of the movie has being resolved by that point. Madoka has been saved and is a goddess again and the world has being restored. For all intense and purpose, what comes after that is epilogue.
lol... I get the sense that poor Gen wants to write a happy ending, but just can't bring himself to do it. So he keeps throwing out these epilogues that makes things look much darker after all (in the original TV series, Homura with the wicked wings fighting demons in the desert had some wondering if the world was now in a post-apocalyptic stage).
Old 2013-10-25, 18:50   Link #300
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Sounds like they had two ideas for a third movie, tried to do both and ended up not doing as well as they could have if they had just stuck with one =/
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madoka