AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-01-21, 23:12   Link #281
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuutsu View Post
I have a question for those of you that have already watched the Avatar movie in 3D. Did you guys have any problems with the glasses, as in headaches or anything like that? I'm planning to watch it this weekend, and I get wheezy from first-person shooters.
If you wear glasses already, then it might depend on both your glasses frames and the brand of 3D glasses used. Whatever the case, as long as the 3d glasses fit, there will probably be no problem...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-21, 23:19   Link #282
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

And your noise will suffer a bit if you get heavy glasses like some people said in the cinema lol
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-22, 01:29   Link #283
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I have a question for those of you that have already watched the Avatar movie in 3D. Did you guys have any problems with the glasses, as in headaches or anything like that? I'm planning to watch it this weekend, and I get wheezy from first-person shooters.
The first 30 minutes or so occasionally gave me problems. It takes the eyes a bit to "learn" how/what to focus at range-wise. If you're someone who has fairly different eye specifications, it may not work well (e.g. my wife is near-sighted in one eye and far-sighted in the other ... even with corrective lenses 3-d doesn't work well for her)

But if you take them off due to nausea, etc .. its okay you can watch it just fine without the glasses.
Old 2010-01-22, 10:26   Link #284
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
I had no problems along those lines.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 04:24   Link #285
AnimeFangirl

"Mighty Whitey saves the day" is supposed to be the story behind this flick, but according to my friends who watched this, first off
Spoiler for ending?:
In other words, Mighty Whitey is a failure. Is that really how the movie played out?
Old 2010-01-24, 08:18   Link #286
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl View Post
"Mighty Whitey saves the day" is supposed to be the story behind this flick, but according to my friends who watched this, first off
Spoiler for ending?:
In other words, Mighty Whitey is a failure. Is that really how the movie played out?
Nope.....

That is just a miss applied and cliched idea used by some people that really does not fit well with the film.

I asked one friend would he spout the same nonsense if the main actor was black ?

He then says : "Well we would just say that the film plot was simply bad. People would alsp be more sympathetic to the actor too if he wasn't white."

In other words, the negative mass would never dare comment on the race of the human in the film, if that human was not a caucasian.

I asked him "If the main military villan was black man what would happen"

My friend says "Jesse Jackson would call for a boycott?"

My conclusion is... Humans are hypocrits who have a serious level of self hate"

Perhaps if the main villanious horde of humans were replaced by another species the film wouldn't be so controversial?

However controversy sells so... its Billions of dollars in the bank for a film that is supposed to be "bad"

In the end...

"Mighty Whitey" has nothing to do with it.

Tree hugging has nothing to do with it.

America bashing has nothing to do with it.

Human bashing has nothing to with do it.

Preachy story line has nothing to do with it.

The film can be seen as asking the question: What would you do if you found a new life in another country or a whole other world and it is much better than the one you had before ?
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-24, 11:43   Link #287
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post

The film can be seen as asking the question: What would you do if you found a new life in another country or a whole other world and it is much better than the one you had before ?
I actually found a small problem with this central question within the story. The odds were stacked in the themes favour. Specifically, Sully was a paraplegic, so of course he would prefer the body that allowed him to move, to be useful. The story would have been far more interesting if Sully came to the same conclusion, but without the initial motivation of living in a destroyed body (it would have also been far more interesting if he came to the conclusion without needing to bang a native...but I guess a general audience wouldn't be able to understand that killing natives is bad unless there is some sort of explicit emotional connection ).

Additionally, I was unclear on just how bad off Earth was (obviously, there could never be a real time cut to Earth, because of the 4-6 year difference between the 2 planets). There were only 1 or 2 mentions of the decaying planet in the movie (and they were just enough to know that hyper-inflation and overpopulation had taken over) and really only one shot (I think, I actually forget if there was a real sequence showing Earth besides the brief morgue scene). Consequently, besides Sully's loss of legs, I was not very sure as to how bad off Earth was. If there is a sequel, I hope Earth is shown at least once, so we can have a better understanding of the motivations of the human characters.
Old 2010-01-24, 15:43   Link #288
Zetsubo
著述遮断

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I actually found a small problem with this central question within the story. The odds were stacked in the themes favour. Specifically, Sully was a paraplegic, so of course he would prefer the body that allowed him to move, to be useful. The story would have been far more interesting if Sully came to the same conclusion, but without the initial motivation of living in a destroyed body (it would have also been far more interesting if he came to the conclusion without needing to bang a native...but I guess a general audience wouldn't be able to understand that killing natives is bad unless there is some sort of explicit emotional connection ).

Additionally, I was unclear on just how bad off Earth was (obviously, there could never be a real time cut to Earth, because of the 4-6 year difference between the 2 planets). There were only 1 or 2 mentions of the decaying planet in the movie (and they were just enough to know that hyper-inflation and overpopulation had taken over) and really only one shot (I think, I actually forget if there was a real sequence showing Earth besides the brief morgue scene). Consequently, besides Sully's loss of legs, I was not very sure as to how bad off Earth was. If there is a sequel, I hope Earth is shown at least once, so we can have a better understanding of the motivations of the human characters.
I see no problem.

If you ever worked oversease from your native country, you might understand.

You may choose to stay in the new country because the odds are in your favour.

I know of people who have chosen to leave life and roots in the United States to take up permanent residence in Japan. they originally went to Japan just to "Teach English" after they "lost their job back home"

They eventually renounce US citizenship and become Japanes citizens with their name in the registry.

Life for them in Japan is better overall... and if they could change their outward appearance from "gaijin to japanese" they would in a heart beat.

This group of people include both male and female.

The odds for their story were stacked in their favour.

Translate this theme into Avatar and you really have no problem.

The story happens all the time, it just that we need a whole lot of bells and whistles to make it "believable"
Zetsubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-25, 02:46   Link #289
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubo View Post
I see no problem.

If you ever worked oversease from your native country, you might understand.
I did not care that Sully made the decision; rather I was critiquing the fact that he had no reason not to make the decision.

By having the character start out as a emotionally and physically broken individual, Cameron, more or less, made the decision for Sully by the first time he "set foot" in his avatar. If a story starts with a character already having lost everything (including their body) and then being offered everything (especially a new body), then the emotional impact of the decision of choosing the offered prize is not as relevant or "deep" as it could have been (unless you take a negative route ala The Devil and Daniel Webster, in which case a downtrodden individual begins to regret the decision they made in their moment of weakness). Rather, the story would have been far more dramatic, even meaningful, if Sully wasn't so destroyed when he first arrived on Pandora - a fully functioning, albeit emotionally damaged, soldier deciding to become an "alien" and betray his home is a far more interesting story...which is probably why Dances with Wolves won the Best Picture Oscar .

Last edited by james0246; 2010-01-25 at 03:18.
Old 2010-01-25, 03:52   Link #290
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

This film...was a mix between FernGully, Pocahontas, and Princess Mononoke.

Didn't like it. You could guess from the start what was going to happen and this kind of plot have been reused to death.
Thanks God it was beautiful when it comes to the graphic part, or I might have ended up sleeping during the whole movie.

And not impressed at all by the kinds of navvi's rituals. African tribes do it better :/

Lolipopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 06:58   Link #291
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Old 2010-02-07, 03:43   Link #292
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Avatar's original script was actually far more complex and developed than the one that was eventually used in the film. Problem is, many estimates think the movie would have had to be five hours to cover the whole thing:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...WAS/Page1.html

This actually gives me hope that Cameron may do something interesting with the second film.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-08, 02:50   Link #293
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Avatar's original script was actually far more complex and developed than the one that was eventually used in the film. Problem is, many estimates think the movie would have had to be five hours to cover the whole thing:
http://chud.com/articles/articles/21...WAS/Page1.html

This actually gives me hope that Cameron may do something interesting with the second film.
Wow!

I really wish they hadn't cut the urban stuff out -- and the hole explanation on the "unobtanioum" being a joke name for some room temperature super conductor and the bulk of it in the mountains, actually makes the sci-fi look believable not just cheesy. The World war going on with the planet seems intriguing as well. I don't quite agree with the other changes, particular character settings, although the political/military/economic gig in 880 sounds way better then in Avatar; in particular the reasoning for attacking the tree and other details.
Old 2010-02-10, 02:04   Link #294
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

there's a second film. what. if he does do a second film, 880 seems great. a lot darker.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.

Last edited by germanturkey; 2010-02-10 at 02:20.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-11, 08:08   Link #295
qwertyuiopz

<3 michelle rodriguez' voice
saw random vids of her and found out shes the hilarious type and even did anime dubs
qwertyuiopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 16:43   Link #296
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Terrorism & Avtar

Continued from here

Quote:

Palestinians who protested against the Israelic wall on Friday, dressed out as the blue characters from James Cameron's popular movie "Avatar", says AP.The costumes were complete with long hair and loincloths.The Palestinians compare their fight for freedom with the Na'vi, that is the name for the alien creatures in "Avatar". In the movie, the Na'vi are driven from their home by earthlings who wish to mine in the area.
Old 2010-02-15, 17:03   Link #297
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Continued from here
The protesters are not entirely off-base. A LOT of the arab-palestinian-israeli dispute is *really* about resources (water supplies, arable land, economic opportunities, etc). The rest is just "rah rah" to fire up the peasants on all sides....
Old 2010-02-15, 17:10   Link #298
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Spoiler:

The important part is : Its funny though how Avatar is being used for propaganda . Not in Cameron's wildest dream would he ever have imagined this scenario .
Old 2010-02-15, 17:20   Link #299
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ It looks like anti-propaganda to me
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-15, 19:47   Link #300
john_kun
Banned

Seen it in 3d in England. was freaking awesome graphics but nothing more special than that.
john_kun is offline   Reply With Quote