AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-11-24, 13:08   Link #21
Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
Ah, yes, AnimeJunkies, main supplier of people who don't know any better.

You also can't join their chan, on aniverse (watch out if you have autorejoin on and try this).

This must have been very recent... just a few days ago, I think right before GSG 4 came out, I joined their channel and asked if they were going to release GSG 2 before Seichi finished the series. The channel was totally dead, so I just left.
they are no longer on aniverse... but on mirc-x now... tho, I do wish they were dead instead...
Old 2003-11-25, 01:22   Link #22
Village Idiot
Fate/ Stay Night

Anyone notice that soon after they stopped subbing Gundam Seed they just sort of died?
Old 2003-11-25, 01:49   Link #23
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot
Anyone notice that soon after they stopped subbing Gundam Seed they just sort of died?
Pretty much. It was their most popular series by a longshot.

They'd definately lost their habit of fast releasing, which took away any reason for people to get an AJ release.
Old 2003-11-25, 02:02   Link #24
Elysium
できるから。。。

Send a message via AIM to Elysium
Ya know, in defense of A-J, they WERE very prompt with Gundam Seed, and despite them taking liberties with weird translations ("nani yo" translated to "what words?"), they still did a good job. I mean, they didn't translate EXACTLY what was there, but they did put things in context for the general public. It's just weird for someone who does speak Japanese to read the subs and be all "the HELL?! That's NOT what Kira/Asuran/Fllay/Lacus/Kagari said!!!"

Also, no one talked in the chatrooms. Kind of offputting that they had like 50 million people and it was dead silent.
Old 2003-11-25, 02:03   Link #25
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

thats too bad I kinda got used to AJ being around I use to dl their releases of Happy Lesson Advance, until they kinda fell behind. O well im sure another fansubbing group well take its place, since like 10+ new fansub groups started poping up. I still have no idea why ppl were bashing them, hmm.....
Old 2003-11-25, 02:48   Link #26
Spyre
"Soon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitarou20
I still have no idea why ppl were bashing them, hmm.....
Because they are scum.

*Spit*

Good riddance.
Old 2003-11-25, 04:09   Link #27
AnimeFangirl

I still have no idea why people were bashing them either. I only watched their Gundam Seed, but before I watched it, I'd heard so many bad things about them (especially the infamous mass naked child events incident) that I was quite dreading the experience. The relief I got from watching almost-normal subs (a few dodgy bits, though) was immense. I think they just happened to get such a reputation for bad work that after while people just automatically bashed them without actually bothering to watch their work. If they are dead, then they can rest in peace.
Old 2003-11-25, 04:41   Link #28
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
I still have no idea why people were bashing them either. I only watched their Gundam Seed, but before I watched it, I'd heard so many bad things about them (especially the infamous mass naked child events incident) that I was quite dreading the experience. The relief I got from watching almost-normal subs (a few dodgy bits, though) was immense. I think they just happened to get such a reputation for bad work that after while people just automatically bashed them without actually bothering to watch their work. If they are dead, then they can rest in peace.
Beating a dead horse isnt fun, and their average episode contained 15 errors of any type, throw in shitty typesetting, korean scripts and shitty encodes, and there is enough. And i agree with spyre, they are dead, *the crowd cheers*, ok, next group to bash is....
Old 2003-11-25, 04:54   Link #29
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Beating a dead horse isnt fun, and their average episode contained 15 errors of any type, throw in shitty typesetting, korean scripts and shitty encodes, and there is enough. And i agree with spyre, they are dead, *the crowd cheers*, ok, next group to bash is....
you guys sound so ungrateful, please keep in mind AJ was fansubbing these anime shows for the fans, they didn't have to. I agree they have made mistakes maybe a lot but why do you have to bash them so much when they do this for free and not for profit. I heard about the imfamous naked child event incident but I think that was the fault of one disgruntle memeber of that group and not AJ as a whole. I know I sound like im defending AJ but this AJ bashing needs to stop because I know how hard it is to fansub a single anime episode with my friend, we tried and failed.
Old 2003-11-25, 05:01   Link #30
Firebrand

from fansubber to fans

good riddance

alot more with AJ behind the scenes that people don't know about and that most of us aren't going to bother discussing
Old 2003-11-25, 05:07   Link #31
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

ok whatever Mr. Fansubber...... care to enlighten me
Old 2003-11-25, 05:20   Link #32
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
That's the thing...

They weren't fansubbing for the fans, they were fansubbing for themselves. period.

Their only goal was to pack as many leechers into their channel as possible, and they'd resort to any method to do it. This is why they would pick up every single high profile series, cut every single corner when subbing it (since many of their translations came from pre-timed Korean scripts, they didn't have to actually time the eps, and since the translator was unable to do a proper translation of the japanese theme songs, they would just skip the OP/ED typesetting all together, all while more respectable groups were doing nice intro + ending karaoke sequences, etc..)

All this was done with the goal of releasing every project before every other group. Leechers are dumb, and don't notice (care?) about translation/editing errors, for the most part, so this is why they never got the bad rep with the fans, because from the leecher prospective, AJ was the best thing that ever happened to them. It was only other fansub groups who were directly hurt by having projects that AJ competed with them with where they got the evil reputation.

So, understand why so many people don't like AJ. Also, I don't need to get into their blatant disrespect for english-language licenses, do I? So basically the dumb leechers love AJ, the fansubbers hate them, and the industry despises them. That's why they have a bad rep.

-Tofu
Old 2003-11-25, 05:39   Link #33
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Thanks for replying Tofu but I was really looking forward to what Firebrand had to say. I think I understand now thanks to you explaining it, I hate when ppl bash someone/something when they don't explain why.
Old 2003-11-25, 06:09   Link #34
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
they would just skip the OP/ED typesetting all together, all while more respectable groups were doing nice intro + ending karaoke sequences, etc..)
You forgot paste their names over the japanese creators names as if they were more important.

and "dont care" is the correct choice.
Old 2003-11-25, 07:11   Link #35
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

AJ just had a lack of respect for everyone. They had a lack of respect for anime companies(eg. the UV incident), they lacked a respect for the author by botching everything up with poor translations(eg. mass naked...) and bad encoding etc..., and they lacked respect for the fans because they obviously thought the leechers were too stupid to figure it out.
Old 2003-11-25, 07:27   Link #36
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
It was only other fansub groups who were directly hurt by having projects that AJ competed with them with where they got the evil reputation.
Okay, I don't know anything about fansubbing and I admit it, but how would a fansub group be "hurt" by another group fansubbing before them? I mean, they're doing it for free, so it's not like AJ is taking their profits or anything, right? You mean their feelings would be hurt? I don't get it.
Old 2003-11-25, 07:35   Link #37
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

dont forget were labeled as the dumb leechers, so we wouldn't understand. To the fansub groups it meant more to them, then what it was to us the fans. To other fansub groups AJ wasn't following the so called Ethics and morals. So I guess the most pissed of ppl are the fansub subbers and the corporations that license anime not the fans. I can sorta understand how they feel.

edit: dont mind me I dont know what the hell im saying...im tired im going to bed now
Old 2003-11-25, 07:37   Link #38
Tofusensei

Because when you put a lot of work and time and energy into something only to have it passed over by 90+% of leechers because someone took a pre-timed korean script, translated it into english with minimal work, cut every corner possible, and released it before your version... It does hurt. It makes you feel inferior.

The fault is really to blame with the mindless leechers... AJ was just exploiting that "phenomenon".

We wouldn't try and release the most polished, best version we can if we weren't planning on having it seen by the public.

Also, AJ is directly responsible for a general lower quality in translation of fansubs than there would be if they didn't force so many other groups to have to release faster if they even wanted a chance of getting a decent percentage of downloaders. If no one watched my fansubs, I wouldn't fansub. I'd say the same is true for 99% of subbers.

-Tofu
Old 2003-11-25, 09:46   Link #39
AnimeFangirl

Oh, that was interesting. So AJ hurts their egos, mm that's gotta hurt. I'd better stop before I get labelled an AJ-lover; it's not like I ever even knew any of them. It's just that to this day, I still don't see what the fuss was about AJ. If someone won't download your fansub, that doesn't make them "dumb" or "mindless." They have their own selection criteria for fansubs, you have your own.
Old 2003-11-25, 14:23   Link #40
Tofusensei

It does hurt. The worst is when you really fall in love with a series, and you watch as parts of the story and dialog get butchered by them so the vast majority of the fans watching it don't appreciate the story as much as you know they could.

It's more than egos, it makes people rethink why they sub at all. Speedsubbing sucks, ask just about every fansubber :P

-Tofu

And I say mindless leechers because they tend to not care about the quality of what they download.
Closed Thread