Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-26, 18:59   Link #1
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Finishing an Anime Alphabet

After just finishing xxxHolic, and loving it, I took a look at my anime list and realized that Ive nearly seen a series that starts with every letter of the alphabet. So I figured I might as well try and finish that off.

I prefer it to be series as opposed to just OVAs or movies.
So the letters is need to see still are: I, J, O, Q(although I realize that there arent too many out there), W, and Y.

I prefer newer series over older. Im pretty open to just about anything genre-wise, although I dont really want to watch Ouran for the 'O' simply because it is to yaoi for my tastes, I do realize that it is a good series, but ill avoid it for now.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 2009-02-26, 19:09   Link #2
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Interesting request. I'm just listing the letters you have not watched and I have. So may not be the greatest of greatest series.

Ikkitousen- Ecchi series about a girl who fights other girls with skimpy paper clothes. Pretty much all there is. (Annoying guys are also here)

Jigoku Shoujo- a horror show about a certain "website" that is only available during midnight. Using the website, you can ask the "Jigoku Shoujo" to come and kill a certain person that you desire to be dead and gone to hell. The only problem is that when you die, you will be sent to hell.

No Q

Welcome to the NHK- (Great series)- about an otaku who thinks everything around his a conspiracy. His life is all weird and messed up until some girl comes to "save" him.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito- lol.. A yuri series. A girl falls in love with a certain girl, but during that certain girl's 16th b-day, she disappears. The main character goes to the "great library" and searches different books to learn/find her.

Even though I haven't watched it yet (planned to) Outlaw Star is an O series.
Old 2009-02-26, 19:14   Link #3
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

The 'Y' sounds interesting, I think I will track that series down for sure.
Old 2009-02-26, 19:23   Link #4
Haruyan

For the O

Oh! My Goddess!
Oofuri
One Piece
Old 2009-02-26, 20:35   Link #5
Scorrere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruyan View Post
For the O

Oh! My Goddess!
Oofuri
One Piece
AFAIK, most people call it Ah! My Goddess but Oh! My Goddess! is an alternate title. Q is VERY hard to find for some reason.

The only one that wasn't an OVA that I found on MAL was this: http://myanimelist.net/anime/1548/Queen_Millennia

There was another TV series under Q but it isn't out yet.
Old 2009-02-27, 00:45   Link #6
mit7059

I - Initial D
J - Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade
O - Ookiku Furikabutte
Ouran High School Host Club
Outlaw Star
Over Drive
I don't have a Q
W - Wangan Midnight
Y - Yakitate!! Japan

I'll I'm missing are Q and X

More of a manga reader now than an anime watcher. Currently reading list here
Old 2009-02-27, 04:28   Link #7
Autumn Demon
~

ichigo mashimaro (comedy)
infinite ryvius (sci-fi)
juuni kokki (fantasy)
jungle wa itsumo hare nochi guu (comedy)
otome wa boku ni koishiteru (school life)
yami to boushi to hon no tabibito (sci-fi/fantasy)
yakushiji ryouko no kaiki jikenbo (action)
Old 2009-02-27, 04:38   Link #8
ddwkc
Lone Wolf

Send a message via MSN to ddwkc
For Q, you may wait for Queen's Blade.
Eo tempore mortem cognovi
Old 2009-02-27, 06:20   Link #9
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and it's sequel Quiet Country Cafe could knock out 2 letters in 4 episodes.
Old 2009-02-27, 08:00   Link #10
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

Awesome, now I got a bunch to pick from! Ill make sure to do some research on these for sure. Any more suggestions are welcome.
Old 2009-02-27, 10:47   Link #11
Echoes

For your "W" request, "Welcome to the NHK" would be a fantastic pick if you accept English titles. If you're more of a purist, I'd go for Wagaya no Oinari-sama, it's charming and funny.

A beautiful 6-episode OVA for your "I" fix would be Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.
Old 2009-02-27, 18:59   Link #12
Shadow Kira01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayame_ View Post
I prefer it to be series as opposed to just OVAs or movies.
So the letters is need to see still are: I, J, O, Q(although I realize that there arent too many out there), W, and Y.
Newer series? Here are two suggestions of each alphabet you seek with the exceptions of Q because there is ONLY one anime and it is still unreleased.

Ikkitousen: Great Guardians: This one isn't appropriate for younger audiences. So you might want to try Itazura na Kiss instead which is a shoujo love comedy.

Junjou Romantica 2 focuses on homosexual relationships and if you prefer to watch something else; try Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae which is similar to Death Note.

One Outs is a story about baseball and gambling. If you find it boring, try Spice and Wolf which features the same two lead seiyuu of Code Geass, Fukuyama Jun and Koshimizu Ami.

Queen's Blade haven't been aired yet; the anime is similar to Ikkitousen, I believe.. There aren't any other anime recommendations for "Q", sorry.

White Album is based off a visual novel from Aquaplus and is centralizes on the theme of romance. Another suggestion would be Wangan Midnight which like Initial D is about racing but luckily, this series is shorter. There are only 26 episodes. Personally, I like the Wangan Midnight series much more than the latter.

Yakushiji Ryoko no Kaiki Jikenbo is the story of a female superintendent of Tokyo's MPD fighting against supernatural elements that are backed by former cabinet ministers in relations to the amakudari practices (maybe, this anime has something to do with the cancellation of the practices; Ryoko-sama won!). The story is somewhat similar to that of TOKKO except the battles are less graphical. Another suggestion would be Yoaka Mae yori Ruri Iro na ~Cresent Love~ which is based off a visual novel from August Soft.
Old 2009-02-27, 18:59   Link #13
Ayame_
Ever Bright, Ever Blue
*Graphic Designer

I have to finish off Iriya no Sora, I watched the first 3 I think of the episodes but I think I lost it in the fold of a new season, It really was good though, I might have to revisit that when I get time.
Old 2009-02-27, 19:11   Link #14
AceD
See You En' Tee

id go for outlaw star aswell for O, can get remastered version
Old 2009-03-02, 09:13   Link #15
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Utawarerumono is quite a unique name to add to you list =D

and some with Y & Z:

Yuu Yuu Hakusho
Zegapain