Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-06-14, 01:02   Link #1
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Something new...

Hey folks,

I've been these forums for a while, but have somewhat strayed from the anime scene in recent years. Since it's summer and all (and b/c Fate/Stay Night, the only anime I currently follow is almost over T.T) I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a good new series. I actually run a viewing circle that's been keeping up with Fate, and we need something new to start up. Series that have ended within the last two years are game as well, since I've been a bit out of the loop. If it helps, here's a list of some series I enjoyed:

Fate, obviously ^^
Noir
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Eva
Scrapped Princess
Mononoke Hime
Gunparade March
Read or Die
Full Metal Panic

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated ^^
Old 2006-06-14, 01:20   Link #2
uzumaki

Hmm, I suppose I could recommend Honey and Clover, which is a romance comedy about a bunch of people going through college and getting jobs; the discovering-yourself kind of scenario. It's a nice, positive series with a touch or two of poignancy and understandable characters.

If you want something gripping and serious and completely different, you could try Monster which is a wonderful psychological suspence drama about a brain surgeon involved in the chase of a silent, serial murdering psychopath. And it's all set in Germany and involves a nazi subplot.
Old 2006-06-14, 02:20   Link #3
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'd heartily recommend Samurai Champloo. It's the striking antithesis to the depressing Cowboy Bebop, and it's directed by none other than Watanabe himself. If you haven't seen Cowboy Bebop, watch it as well.

For more information on these series, click on my sig's The Top Three Anime of All Time ... vv
Old 2006-06-14, 05:57   Link #4
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

bleach
higurashi
soul link
disgea
Old 2006-06-15, 00:02   Link #5
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Hey folks-- thanks for the responses.

uzu: I've yet to see Honey + Clover, but I've been told it's not too bad. As for Monster, I tried it out and really liked it, but it's a bit long for this viewing circle.

physics: I've already seen both Champloo and Bebop, both of which I enjoyed very much. I still think CB was much better than SC, but that's a matter of preference ^^.

potato: bleach disappointed me, but I think I may check out the remaining three shows-- they seem pretty interesting.
Old 2006-06-15, 00:26   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

lemme see.....

madlax: if you liked noir, then you should try watching madlax. just like noir, it has lots of gunfights and complex storyline.

strawberry panic: a light-hearted anime, and also yuri. similar to marimite in some way. the anime is still on going.

utawarerumono: it's basically a game turned into an anime. but this was a good anime btw. lots of characters, excellent story, and has war!!!

higurashi no naku koro ni: if you want something scary, then watch this. good anime with a little kawaii overdose and mystery/suspense to booth.

nanaka 6/17: funny and amusing anime. has a decent story. the anime is already licensed and the dvd vol. 1 is out in stores.

the melancholy of suzumiya haruhi: very funny, and has lots of science fictional and random stuffs. it's quite popular in this forum btw.

hanaukyo maid team: la verite: nice story, has ecchi (not too much) and good set of characters. it's licensed and the dvds for the entire series is out in stores.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-06-15, 00:35   Link #7
jedinat

Perhaps one of these:
Mushishi
Blood+
xxxHOLiC

I'll also second Honey and Clover.. it's definitely a bit better than "not too bad"
Old 2006-06-15, 19:09   Link #8
saznami

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...earch=koi+kaze Koi kaze. Personally i think it is better then Shingetsutan Tsukihime

http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...unslinger+girl Gunslinger Girl. In my experience some don't like this, but i loved it so try it.

and yeh watch Blood+ it's brilliant.
Old 2006-06-17, 13:09   Link #9
n.a
Mad Scientist

Send a message via AIM to n.a
I'm going to third Honey and Clover and Blood+...
Old 2006-06-17, 14:31   Link #10
Maxon
Demon Hunter

Send a message via MSN to Maxon
If you have just watched the first series of Full Metal Panic! then I suggest watching Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu. It's funny beyond belief. There's no ongoing plot. The series is more like a filler between the first series and Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid (which should be out on DVD soon hopefully).

I also recommend Chobits for some romantic comedy, with some really good drama too. If you want some great romance drama, then pick up Please Teacher.
Old 2006-06-17, 15:19   Link #11
night train

Black Lagoon
Tokko
School Rumble 1 & 2
As someone mentioned above, Blood+,Mushishi, FMP Fumoffu, and Honey and Clover is a must. Those are some excellent picks.
Old 2006-06-18, 00:27   Link #12
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Cyz: Madlax was pretty cool, though a little too wierd for even my tastes (I dropped it after 20 ^^). I may check out Utawarerumono-- I've heard some good things about it ^^. Same with Higurashi: apparently the game is unbelievably popular (on Tsukihime levels) in Japan.

Saznami: I have Koi Kaze and have seen about half of it, although the topic was a little difficult for me ^^ (I'll probably come back to it at some point :> )

Maxon: The FMP series is one of my biggest favorites ever! I've seen all of them and enjoyed them all immensely ^^.

night_Train: I think I may give Black Lagoon and Tokko a shot. I'm totally a sucker for assassin stories XD

So I guess my list is: Utawarerumono, Higurashi, Black Lagoon, and Tokko.

Thanks so much for your help everyone!
Old 2006-06-18, 00:29   Link #13
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm going to fourth or fifth Honey and Clover. ZOMG.
Old 2006-06-18, 01:27   Link #14
andromeda0201

then I'll fifth or sixth Honey and Clover LOL
Also, do try Suzuka, Karin, School Rumble, Jyuohsei, Eureka Seven, Samurai 7, Gokusen, Basilisk, Yakitate Japan and Black Cat ^^
Old 2006-06-18, 02:10   Link #15
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Yeah, but watch Honey and Clover first.

HONEY AND CLOVER WILL OWN YOUR SOUL.
Old 2006-06-18, 10:40   Link #16
ginko51

Mushishi is the best thing out right now!
Old 2006-06-21, 08:50   Link #17
Nathan Scott Phillop
gods brother

I Would highly recommend S-Cry-Ed above all else. If u havn't already seen it......
then WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!! It's probably one of the greatest shows u'l EVER see.
I garantee it, u won't be dissapointed.
Closed Thread