Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-10-31, 21:01   Link #121
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
You do realize the English VA who does Integra is really British?
No, I didn't know that. I recognize few English voice actors, not do I really care to. I didn't know if she was British or just mimicking the accent. Nor do I think it matters much which.

The problem is that her British accent emphasizes the difference in accent to the other characters who are ALSO supposed to be British. (With the possible exception of Alucard and the definite exception of Anderson.) When the majority of the characters all come from the same country and only one of the characters has that country's accent, it is a problem. If they all had American accents then it would be easy to ignore, just like when they all had Japanese accents.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 00:28   Link #122
rpgman1

I thought Crispin Freeman would only be doing union work. So is Hellsing Ultimate considered union work then? I'm surprised they brought back most of the VAs for this. What does K.T. Gray and Victoria Harwood do in real life since they've done little voice work. Hellsing had a strong dub, but poor animation and a messed up plot that didn't follow the manga. Patrick Seitz seems to be a more active voice actor compared to the last few years (Eureka 7, Bleach, and Naruto).
rpgman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 03:53   Link #123
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Yes, I believe this is the first union dub New Generation Pictures has done. It says so in CrystalAcids:

http://www.crystalacids.com/database...sing-ultimate/

Dub clips can be found there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
No, I didn't know that. I recognize few English voice actors, not do I really care to. I didn't know if she was British or just mimicking the accent. Nor do I think it matters much which.

The problem is that her British accent emphasizes the difference in accent to the other characters who are ALSO supposed to be British. (With the possible exception of Alucard and the definite exception of Anderson.) When the majority of the characters all come from the same country and only one of the characters has that country's accent, it is a problem. If they all had American accents then it would be easy to ignore, just like when they all had Japanese accents.
That's what I call a challenge, and I bet the guys of New Generation Pictures (seriously consider listening to some of their dubs other series; they make by far the most consistantly well dubs in the LA region) are well aware of that. They done it before with the TV series with new fans loving dub far better than the Japanese dub.

Last edited by darkchibi07; 2006-11-01 at 04:07.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-01, 21:01   Link #124
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

As of now, I prefer the Japanese dub. The low quality of the trailer is keeping me from liking the new English dub. The only voices I think are done half-right is Anderson's (he needs to work on the accent a bit though) and Walter. Alucard ought to have a Spanish/British accent. Integra is close enough, and Sera's screaming is way too drawn out. Here's to hoping everyone sounds better as time progresses.

EDIT: Anderson sounds just a little too young. He's really freakin' old, according to the manga.
Old 2006-11-01, 23:49   Link #125
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

I am a bit confused as to why you think Alucard should have a Spanish accent. While I don't think there is any official information on his accent, I would expect either British (since he's been in Britain for so long) or else something eastern European. Honestly though, he's old enough that his accent could sound like anything he wants.

Why do you think Spanish suits him?

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-11-01, 23:57   Link #126
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
I am a bit confused as to why you think Alucard should have a Spanish accent. While I don't think there is any official information on his accent, I would expect either British (since he's been in Britain for so long) or else something eastern European. Honestly though, he's old enough that his accent could sound like anything he wants.

Why do you think Spanish suits him?
If anything, he should be Romanian. But since I have no idea what a Romanian accent sound like (or most other people for that matter), it doesn't help much for the dubbers...
Old 2006-11-02, 00:02   Link #127
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

That's why I commented on eastern European. We're talking about an accept used in Romania five hundred years ago, so I doubt that any living person really knows what it sounds like. Just go with something that sounds like it comes from the general region and it is close enough.

Old 2006-11-02, 00:42   Link #128
rpgman1

Are the two VAs who played Seras and Integra really British people? K.T. Gray had only 3 roles according to ANN while Victoria Harwood had a few more roles. Hellsing is supposed to have distinctive accents from each country. I don't know about Alucard having an accent since he was imprisoned in the compound for several hundred years. Is Anderson supposed to be Scottish? I like to know who'll play as Bernadotte and the Major. Kyle Hebert said he really wanted to be in the Hellsing OVA since he really liked the anime and read the manga.
Old 2006-11-26, 13:27   Link #129
KanaKaishou

Funny thing--I prefer the dub for the old Hellsing, even though I've seen both.
if this dub is half as good, we're really in for a treat...if not...um.../me runs and hides.
KanaKaishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-26, 22:26   Link #130
rpgman1

Some dubs from New Generation Pictures are just awful or plain silly. Take DearS and Girls Bravo for example.
Old 2006-11-28, 19:39   Link #131
BlueJar
Piggy Out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgman1 View Post
I thought Crispin Freeman would only be doing union work. So is Hellsing Ultimate considered union work then? I'm surprised they brought back most of the VAs for this. What does K.T. Gray and Victoria Harwood do in real life since they've done little voice work. Hellsing had a strong dub, but poor animation and a messed up plot that didn't follow the manga. Patrick Seitz seems to be a more active voice actor compared to the last few years (Eureka 7, Bleach, and Naruto).
Though I do agree that the old Hellsing had a "messed up plot" I must say it was interesting to compare the two anime versions and the manga. The only thing is that it begs the question: "Do either of the anime really add to the manga?" Personally I worship the manga; however, the anime that I liked best was the older version with the ending that wasn't quiet right because of its originality. Though I can't wait to see the rest of the anime for the OVA, it is promising.
BlueJar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 01:51   Link #132
Gazdakka Gizbang

Quote:
The only thing is that it begs the question: "Do either of the anime really add to the manga?"
I don't think the original anime really added much to the manga, besides giving Anderson the Irish/Scottish accent, and that's accredited to its dubbing. Perhaps in terms of visceral style, yes, but the OVA is doing that in itself. By contrast the first was more casual and laid-back, more leisurely so to speak. Wild Geese is taking steps to perform the opposite as it seems. While maintaining some of the comedy from the manga (which the original anime had trouble doing), the theme is largely darker and more atmospheric. It has a grittier feel to it, and if it's as faithful to the manga as I hope, this dark outlook will be constantly maintained through the later episodes.

The remake does more for the manga than I believe the first one does, simply by the fact that it actually follows the right plot, instead of adding Incognito as a throwaway Mary-Sue to call for an abrupt conclusion. It's actually putting the manga into motion, and will include Tubalcain, Rip Van Winkle, Zorin, the Major, Schrodinger, and the host of other characters that the first never even attempted to include. The first also included characters which I think largely did nothing for the big issue at hand. The news reporter, the gay college guy, Ferguson, several British officers and investigators: they served very little purpose in my opinion.

Last edited by Gazdakka Gizbang; 2006-11-30 at 01:52. Reason: Minor changes.
Gazdakka Gizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 23:56   Link #133
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdakka Gizbang View Post
I don't think the original anime really added much to the manga, besides giving Anderson the Irish/Scottish accent, and that's accredited to its dubbing. Perhaps in terms of visceral style, yes, but the OVA is doing that in itself. By contrast the first was more casual and laid-back, more leisurely so to speak. Wild Geese is taking steps to perform the opposite as it seems. While maintaining some of the comedy from the manga (which the original anime had trouble doing), the theme is largely darker and more atmospheric. It has a grittier feel to it, and if it's as faithful to the manga as I hope, this dark outlook will be constantly maintained through the later episodes.

The remake does more for the manga than I believe the first one does, simply by the fact that it actually follows the right plot, instead of adding Incognito as a throwaway Mary-Sue to call for an abrupt conclusion. It's actually putting the manga into motion, and will include Tubalcain, Rip Van Winkle, Zorin, the Major, Schrodinger, and the host of other characters that the first never even attempted to include. The first also included characters which I think largely did nothing for the big issue at hand. The news reporter, the gay college guy, Ferguson, several British officers and investigators: they served very little purpose in my opinion.
I agree. In full honesty, though, I felt that the original series never intended to stay particularly faithful to the manga. I really enjoyed the opening retelling of the first arc, as it was certainly more laid-back, but also because it had a stylized film Noir look to it that was maintained for a while. Look to the first episode, where we're treated to multiple distorted shots of gigantic yellow moons superimposed on solid red skies and rippling black fields. The pace is slower, and the opening scenes look like they were ripped straight out of a black and white '50s film (hazy smoke-filled rooms; sulty, suspicious women; hark! a shot! ). Regrettably, the story fell apart completely once the corruption case and the Incognito arc took flight. As Gizbang correctly notes, the new characters have no use or lasting purpose in the story.

The OVA certainly lives up to the ecentric but heartpounding action of the manga. In fact, some new scenes were even more impressive (i.e. Luke Valentine's vicious exploits in the hallways of Hellsing mansion) than could be portrayed in print medium. Nevertheless, the impression I got was that the remake was geared towards audiences that had already read the manga. Serious moments of character development were slashed to make room for flashy fight scenes, while lesser sidestories were sacrificed in favor of quicker transitions. I particularly lament the loss of Seras Victoria as any real character at all-- I found her transformation from human to vampire (and its resulting internal conflicts explored in the manga) quite interesting. Ironically, the original animated series spent too much time on this aspect, bogging it down, while the remake dumps it completely...

Overall, though, I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the remake, and am sure that it will continue to amaze me as much as it has already. Hellsing is one of my favorite mangas ever, and that's saying a lot that the anime has met my approval ^^
Ambience Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 12:55   Link #134
Gazdakka Gizbang

Quote:
I agree. In full honesty, though, I felt that the original series never intended to stay particularly faithful to the manga.
Well that was always going to be a given, seeing as the original was released with only 3 volumes actually out at the time (actually, probably only two, with the third being released in time for them to make the trailer look similar). However, I wasn't really in favour of them picking up elements, mish-mashing them into the trailer, and then never actually using them. If you're going to make a trailer, it's generally best that those elements are actually present in the final anime. We even saw the Major, yet he made no appearance whatsoever in the end product.

Quote:
I really enjoyed the opening retelling of the first arc, as it was certainly more laid-back, but also because it had a stylized film Noir look to it that was maintained for a while. Look to the first episode, where we're treated to multiple distorted shots of gigantic yellow moons superimposed on solid red skies and rippling black fields. The pace is slower, and the opening scenes look like they were ripped straight out of a black and white '50s film (hazy smoke-filled rooms; sulty, suspicious women; hark! a shot! ). Regrettably, the story fell apart completely once the corruption case and the Incognito arc took flight. As Gizbang correctly notes, the new characters have no use or lasting purpose in the story.
The first episode was not so bad with comparison to the later episodes, but now that the later volumes of the manga are out and it's clear what direction the story takes, its seems somewhat inappropriate by contrast. It gets very hazardous and pretty quickly at that, and I think the OVA better reflects that with the manner in which they portray Alucard and other characters.

Quote:
The OVA certainly lives up to the ecentric but heartpounding action of the manga. In fact, some new scenes were even more impressive (i.e. Luke Valentine's vicious exploits in the hallways of Hellsing mansion) than could be portrayed in print medium. Nevertheless, the impression I got was that the remake was geared towards audiences that had already read the manga. Serious moments of character development were slashed to make room for flashy fight scenes, while lesser sidestories were sacrificed in favor of quicker transitions.
The only real significant element that has been slashed in my opinion is the transition of Sera's vampiric conversion and the targetting practice following shortly afterwards. That and the meeting with Enrico Maxwell, which I'm sure will take place this time in the third episode.

Still, I can live with such a loss. As you said, the original bogged down the story with their orientation around Seras, but most of Seras' character hops in around the Bernadotte and Zorin arc, which doesn't happen for at least another 4 episodes. Lief and Vanessa's swift deaths aren't so much of a disappointment to me either, since they do little more than serve as cannon fodder for Alucard in the manga, and aren't that important of characters, hence they don't merit much screentime.

Interestingly enough, I'm glad that Jan and Luke got extra scenes in the second episode. Luke is, after all, appearing during the final moments of the story, so it would be a shame not to flesh out his abilities prior to watching him fight at the conclusion. I mean, if he's not shown for very long, it would look as if his re-appearance were a bit forced.

Quote:
Overall, though, I must say that I'm extremely impressed with the quality of the remake, and am sure that it will continue to amaze me as much as it has already. Hellsing is one of my favorite mangas ever, and that's saying a lot that the anime has met my approval ^^
I'm liking the way it's being presented thus far, and the potential it stands closer to the end. There's just something about the Major's idealism (i,e: the later parts of the series acting out like a play, with the actors and theatrics all culminating into the story) that appeals to me.
Old 2006-12-02, 22:33   Link #135
Discerptor
ANIUE!111

Quote:

It's a good thing Walter and Seras both use English accents then, isn't it? I'm really not seeing where your problem is coming from. Who, besides Alucard, lacks an accent they're supposed to have in the English language trailer?
Discerptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 23:07   Link #136
Gazdakka Gizbang

Gawd, I hope her English voice is better refined this time around. She sounded like some useless British maid before.
Old 2006-12-04, 02:03   Link #137
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discerptor View Post
It's a good thing Walter and Seras both use English accents then, isn't it? I'm really not seeing where your problem is coming from. Who, besides Alucard, lacks an accent they're supposed to have in the English language trailer?
That was an English accent? I see. My bad; it didn't sound that way to me.

Old 2006-12-04, 11:38   Link #138
Gazdakka Gizbang

Quote:
That was an English accent? I see. My bad; it didn't sound that way to me.
Most of the characters have English accents in it. Mainly Seras, Walter, and virtually all the fictional British officers they added into the show.
Old 2007-01-01, 23:45   Link #139
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

When Hellsing Ovas news came out I was really excited well the show stopped midway didnt it . Three years later I felt they would continue where they left

When I heard it was a remake of Orignal more true to manga story my spirits were dampened I was pretty dissapointed after I watched the Ova 1 I was devastated they had cut down on action giving more emphasis style . The gore well it was gorier but the action was cut down . The Ceres bits was the highpoint of this ep it was hilarious . Kudos to seiyu of Ceres she has potrayed this role very well . its hard to belive Ceres and Rukia share the same seiyu

I was kinda skeptical while veiwing the second ova I was dissapointed with the first . I dont know my expectation were lower . I liked it , very well packaged and Integra is badder . The animation and art is oin its own league can only compared to the art of XXHOLiC Movie . Its gets major brownie points on style makes you wonder your watching hellsing or Gungrave or even a Quentin Flick . As the first one its gorier attention to gore is detailed and often revolting it deals Valentine brothers Jan was good found him better than Anime well the older sibling isnt portayed that good IMHO .

Lot of Hellsing Kodak Scense are cut ... Its weird Hellsing fans were waiting for these with crossed fingers . Its also an statement by production that they are treating this ova in a diffrent manner rather than just a plain old remake . They have taken the liberty to go chop chop chop brave effort payed off . Though I miss Hellsing saying Shinigami Walter ... it was a really cool the way it was said in the Anime .. And that Arucard volley as the bullet blast into his head as the recoil occurs . The famous scene which signifies the begining of the end for Older Valentine , Miss them a lot

I am really waiting for the next one in this Ova Series will I be left High n Dry Again or pleasantly delighted only Producers known . The great thing is we will see more of Millenium hope pray it doesnt end with Incognito again .

Last edited by Zu Ra; 2007-01-02 at 13:50.
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-05, 00:07   Link #140
PatPeter

Would anyone rather they continue the Hellsing Anime INSTEAD of the OVA? Volume 1 has already come out in English and I watched it at my Anime Club and I did not like it that much, I really think that, though the graphics are awesome, the storyline is screwed up.
1) The priest gets killed in a random feild, doesn't get the awesome death-on-the-cross
2) Seras screams before Alucard drinks her blood
3) Seras uses faces that take away the serious aspects of the anime, you know like ^_^ ... I hate what they have done to Hellsing, seriously.
PatPeter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, seinen