Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-02-15, 11:15   Link #1521
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I think it's a fine commercial. It's a piece of hardware after all, not a game. It's more important marketing wise to portray a sense of social acceptance with it then anything else. Even if with games playing the people who don't care still wouldn't care, and also you can't for example demonstrate something like high fidelity or such because well it being a commercial you can't prove superior quality on a inferior distribution system (ie. the TV channel it airs on ).
You buy a console for games, although the PS4 is meh in that department. Not saying that it's "wrong" because commercials tend to have next to nothing to do about the product itself. The commercial is basically saying "look everyone else in the world is getting one, you should get one too!", very effective strategy when selling to kids.
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-15, 12:05   Link #1522
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
You buy a console for games, although the PS4 is meh in that department. Not saying that it's "wrong" because commercials tend to have next to nothing to do about the product itself. The commercial is basically saying "look everyone else in the world is getting one, you should get one too!", very effective strategy when selling to kids.
It's about people cosplaying as games characters. I see both the games and the people so I don't really know what's wrong with that commercial.
Old 2014-02-16, 03:48   Link #1523
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I just want my Metal Gear Solid V and Japanese games for the ps4.
Old 2014-02-16, 10:38   Link #1524
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
x86 was fairly crappy but, from what I could gather, the 64 bits instruction set cleans up most of the issues and it's a fairly decent instruction set.
The 64-bit instruction set is only an extension to the main instruction set, and it doesn't fix issues rooted deep in the architecture, like IRQ. It doesn't matter if you're not coding directly to the metal; the issues arise because of how it works.
Quote:
the advantage of choosing a known architecture has more to due with code and knowledge re-usage
While this isn't a bad point, I wonder how much it matters in a world with commonly used engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, etc.
Old 2014-02-16, 10:51   Link #1525
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
The 64-bit instruction set is only an extension to the main instruction set, and it doesn't fix issues rooted deep in the architecture, like IRQ. It doesn't matter if you're not coding directly to the metal; the issues arise because of how it works.

While this isn't a bad point, I wonder how much it matters in a world with commonly used engines like Unreal Engine, Unity, etc.
IRQs were only an issue with badly written BIOS software and badly designed hardware components, two causes that are 99% sure not to happen in a custom build system like the current crop of consoles.

Most of the complains I've found leveraged at x86 had more to do with issues inherent to the instruction set itself more than the surrounding Intel architecture. And even then that's a non-issue for custom designed hardware like consoles where you can pick which bits you actually want and add in a few extra bits you might need. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more outdated parts of the x86 instruction set (and extensions) were left out of the custom silicon inside the PS4 and Xbox One. We can already deduce that both systems have custom memory subsystems implemented to cope with the specificities of each implementation (shared memory on the PS4, SRAM on the Xbox One) so it wouldn't surprise me if other bits were slightly tweaked as well (mainly when it comes to which extensions are supported).

Overall the whole point of choosing x86 was to help middleware vendors port their systems to the newer consoles effectively shortening the time needed to get games working on the machines as opposed to what happened early on with the previous generation.
Old 2014-02-17, 05:17   Link #1526
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Nice gun.

https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/st...52426925682688

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=770360

With gameplay footage I hope.

EDIT:

Sony to live stream Japanese PlayStation 4 launch event

Quote:

The event will feature a number of notable guests, who will touch upon the appeal of PlayStation 4 with gameplay exhibits and video letters. Guests include:
  • Hideo Kojima (Metal Gear Solid V director, game designer, and producer)
  • Shinji Hashimoto (Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III producer)
  • Naoki Yoshida (Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn producer and director)
  • Toshiro Nagoshi (Yakuza series general director)
  • Mayuko Kawakita (female model)
  • Viking (comedian)
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-17, 06:33   Link #1527
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

I forgot Japan don't have their lovely PS4s yet. I'm dying to see new updates about FFXV announced, that game looks sweet.
greensoulreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 09:45   Link #1528
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

PLAYSTATIONŽ4 SALES SURPASS 5.3 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

The console race continues to see who can sell more. Important to note that the word used in the press release is sold through which means it sold directly to customers. Looks good considering this is pre-Japan release which should see another million unit add on to it if it can match the momentum it had when PS2 was originally launched there.

PS2 sold 980k unit on the first day in Japan.
Old 2014-02-18, 12:47   Link #1529
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
To be honest, I don't see how the PS4 could match that number. However, as long as the Japanese developers keep showing interest in developing PS4 titles, I'm happy. I just hope they don't get caught up in the graphic race of the next gen console and forget about making a good game instead.
Old 2014-02-18, 13:15   Link #1530
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

It depends how much Sony have stockpiled for Japan.

300-500k?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 14:35   Link #1531
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
To be honest, I don't see how the PS4 could match that number. However, as long as the Japanese developers keep showing interest in developing PS4 titles, I'm happy. I just hope they don't get caught up in the graphic race of the next gen console and forget about making a good game instead.
Maybe not on the first day, but gradually it might just reach that number someday or surpass it. There are so many years for this console, I've seen some comments on the net a couple months back before PS4 released anywhere, saying that the PS4 could potentially be the next PS2 in terms of popularity.
Old 2014-02-18, 16:04   Link #1532
Lexxus
YES! Hahahaha

I can only see PS4 doing around 200-300k for its 1st week in Japan.
Lexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-18, 16:58   Link #1533
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensoulreaper View Post
Maybe not on the first day, but gradually it might just reach that number someday or surpass it. There are so many years for this console, I've seen some comments on the net a couple months back before PS4 released anywhere, saying that the PS4 could potentially be the next PS2 in terms of popularity.
It's a bit too soon for those predictions. Sure, the PS4 is looking much more popular than the it's competitors (Xbox One and Wii U) and gamers are responding much more positively to it than they did to the PS3 but that doesn't mean anything until the games are out. Let's just hope that developers stop pushing pixels and return to experimenting a bit with different ways to tell stories and/or novel gameplay mechanics.
Old 2014-02-18, 18:31   Link #1534
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

So far we are still seeing that PS4 is selling 1 million a month. So the issue is that Sony probably is unable to spare stock for the Japanese releases. Japanese sales won't break records, but instead I predict that it would sell about as much as what Sony is willing to spare there on release week. Half a million? Possible, but probably less just on supply constraint alone.
Old 2014-02-18, 19:17   Link #1535
Xefi
癸亥 (guǐhāi)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
PLAYSTATIONŽ4 SALES SURPASS 5.3 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

The console race continues to see who can sell more. Important to note that the word used in the press release is sold through which means it sold directly to customers. Looks good considering this is pre-Japan release which should see another million unit add on to it if it can match the momentum it had when PS2 was originally launched there.

man, those number can even go super higher if they have their consoles in stocks.

just about a week ago when i order my ps4 on amazon when it just has them in
stocks, then "BAM" they're out of ps4 again in just a few days.

that, and i also pick up Ass-ass-in Creed 4 & Tomb Raider DE (just cause it's only $39.99 today on amazon).
can't wait to try these bad boys out on the ps4.
Old 2014-02-18, 19:37   Link #1536
greensoulreaper
こんにちは

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
man, those number can even go super higher if they have their consoles in stocks.

just about a week ago when i order my ps4 on amazon when it just has them in
stocks, then "BAM" they're out of ps4 again in just a few days.

that, and i also pick up Ass-ass-in Creed 4 & Tomb Raider DE (just cause it's only $39.99 today on amazon).
Amazon has some good deals sometimes. Before launch I pre-ordered 2 games and got one free.
Old 2014-02-19, 04:39   Link #1537
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

It'll be interesting to see how many console sold and allocated to the Japan's market. I think everyone have been pretty pessimistic about the Japan market for awhile now and the fact that you got PS4 releasing 3 months after NA release is pretty indicative of the falling priority of the Japan market.

Still, being able to topped PS2 record will be a huge boost in both marketing and morale for Sony considering it's historically the best selling console. Not only that, it would hopefully get developers back onboard to developing for console which have been straying further to mobile market.

The only problem i see is the lack of high end release at launch. Software sells especially in Japan. The only moneymaker in there is Yakuza Ishin which i think is a pretty potent franchise in the Japan?
Old 2014-02-19, 06:32   Link #1538
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

One thing is for sure, Sony will not over or under allocate the PS4 in Japan. The simple fact is they have the absolute internal numbers of how many PS4 had been preordered in Japan, and using that they can make a reasonable estimate at expected monthly sales.
Old 2014-02-19, 06:50   Link #1539
defki

There is no chance that the PS4 will open as big as the PS2 did. I really wish it would but no way. I doubt anything will ever beat the 900k+ first weekend.

Quote:
The only problem i see is the lack of high end release at launch. Software sells especially in Japan. The only moneymaker in there is Yakuza Ishin which i think is a pretty potent franchise in the Japan?
Yakuza is a big selling franchise in Japan but Ishin is not a main line game. The main line games are the 500-700k sellers. Ishin should be closer to Kenzan and of the End with 300-450k. Also the problem with Ishin is that it is also on PS3. Sega apparently expects 150k LTD from Ishin on PS4. That's pretty telling that they do not expect much.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-19, 08:18   Link #1540
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xefi View Post
You fell into the trap of buying a $400+ machine to play 7th Gen ports
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote