Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-11-14, 18:04   Link #1
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

Parental-safe Anime

Hey everyone! I kinda need some help on finding an anime that parents would deem appropriate. No hentai, no ecchi, no fanservice, no extremely big and bouncy parts of a woman's anatomy, no lesbian/gay relationships, no...well, I think you get it. Swearing is alright, but not too much of it. And, I'd like to know of a series that's dubbed and is available to be bought dubbed. The plot doesn't really matter, and neither does the genre. Any'll do. I'd like it to be relatively new, like made sometime in the 2000s. I mean, I love Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, and Yu Yu Hakusho, but it would be nice if you could suggest something more recent. I'd be thankful if you guys could help!

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Old 2009-11-14, 18:35   Link #2
ArianaChaz
Charcoal Feather Brigade

Have you seen Fruits Basket? Highly recommended. You might also try Azumanga Daioh, which is a comedy about girls who are friends in high school, and D.N. Angel, which is about a boy destined to become a master thief.
Some others:
Tsubasa Chronicle - Fantasy, characters traveling to alternate worlds and dimensions to retrieve something lost.
Special A is a comedy about a girl trying to get revenge in school (kinda). This one is just barely being released on DVD.
Gakuen Alice - Alternate reality where children with powers are sent to Alice Academy.
Haibane Renmei - Personally my favorite anime, Haibane Renmei is deep and philosophical.

These two don't have a dub yet, but if you don't mind subs, Skip Beat is about a girl trying to get revenge in show-biz and Denno Coil takes place in the future where computers are much more advanced and can be used quite adeptly by children.

All of these animes are parent-friendly.

Last edited by ArianaChaz; 2009-11-14 at 18:46.
Old 2009-11-14, 18:45   Link #3
GreatTeacherKen

Aria has virtually nothing offensive and it's also a very relaxing and charming slice of life show.
Old 2009-11-14, 19:56   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Shion no Ou, even though it's not licensed over here, so you'd have to output the encodes via HDMI. Really good stuff though, one of my favorite shows ever.

n'thing ARIA. Gorgeous artwork.
Old 2009-11-14, 20:50   Link #5
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm... what about Fullmetal Alchemist? It's pretty violent, and some dark themes... but not much fanservice.

Also Crest of The Stars that's pretty clean.

Read or Die OVAs.. well Nancy is a little "bouncy" but that's pretty much it.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-14, 20:57   Link #6
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Sorry, but can you make it more clear? You want an anime that your parent(s) can watch, or you want one that your parent won't complaint when you (or brother, or cousin) watch?

For the 1st option, it's better to be seinen. The later would be any as long as no fan service
Old 2009-11-14, 22:03   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Can't go wrong with Cross Game!

I don't know, Sackett - would you show your parents FMA? You did mention that there's some violence but even at that, some of the gore is rather graphic.
Old 2009-11-14, 22:07   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Shion no Ou, even though it's not licensed over here, so you'd have to output the encodes via HDMI. Really good stuff though, one of my favorite shows ever.
Crossdressers

Quote:
n'thing ARIA. Gorgeous artwork.
Female gondoliers

Quote:

Read or Die OVAs.. well Nancy is a little "bouncy" but that's pretty much it.
Gratitious violence. Childs with family problems.

Quote:
Themes too strong for kids, specially first episodes.

For a truly parental safe series, I recommend Chi's sweet home. It's about a kitty.
Old 2009-11-14, 22:22   Link #9
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

But the OP wants an anime for parents to watch, right?
Old 2009-11-14, 22:25   Link #10
Proto

No, the OP just asked for a series that parents would deem appropiate.

btw, in case it wasn't clear I'm half kidding here.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:32   Link #11
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, I don't think that's clear - but anyway, I still think kids at least 11 or 12 could deal with CG and get something good out of it. They'll miss some of the subtlety, but there's enough surface gratification to keep them interested.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:44   Link #12
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Spirited Away - I think nothing would go wrong, think.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:52   Link #13
Proto

Quote:
Well, I don't think that's clear - but anyway, I still think kids at least 11 or 12 could deal with CG and get something good out of it. They'll miss some of the subtlety, but there's enough surface gratification to keep them interested.
... you are no fun, you know.
Old 2009-11-14, 23:54   Link #14
Cryonosis
~Desu

Anything from Miyazaki that Disney has dubbed would be a fantastic choice.

If it's for young children, The adventures of Mini-Goddess is fantastic. A good all around anime for young ones with an English dub job that's better then the Japanese. A big plus with regards to children is that the individual episodes are short.
Old 2009-11-15, 00:07   Link #15
Ansalem
Speaker

Proto's just so unhelpful.
Old 2009-11-15, 00:24   Link #16
Proto

Raaawr.

Well ok, here are the helpful recommendations. Zettai Shounen, Denou Coil and Kemono no Souja Erin are probably the most intelligent children shows I've seen in recent years. Not an ounce of a bad message, and they have very intriguing stories and characters to follow.
Old 2009-11-15, 00:34   Link #17
Ash Falls Town

Out of all the TV series I've seen Mushishi fits. Haibane Renmei also works if you skip the Openings.

Since you said nothing about violence Twelve Kingdoms and Kino's Journey might work as well. They are both very violent though.
These are all dubbed.

Edit: Why is everyone suggesting sub only series?
Old 2009-11-15, 00:39   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post

I don't know, Sackett - would you show your parents FMA? You did mention that there's some violence but even at that, some of the gore is rather graphic.
Actually I would- my father anyway. The themes of sin, repentance, revenge, forgiveness, redemption, and damnation make for a pretty solid morality tale. True, the gore is pretty high (although there are plenty of worse movies that are commonly seen), I'd class it as PG-13. So you're right, I probably would not show it to my mother, not because she'd disapprove, but because she wouldn't like it.

Depends on what his parents think about violence. The OP made it seem that they are more concerned about sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Gratitious violence. Childs with family problems.
You're thinking of R.O.D the TV, I suggested Read Or Die, the OVAs- which still has gratuitous violence, but as long as it encourages children to read that makes it all okay.

Just think about the title: Read or Die. What parent wouldn't want their kid watching a show with a message like that? Just tell them it's Reading Rainbow crossed with X-men- they'll be overjoyed to think that their kid has such good taste.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2009-11-15, 00:58   Link #19
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Female gondoliers

Seirei no Moribito. Dub is almost finished, AFAIK.
Old 2009-11-15, 10:06   Link #20
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Sorry, but can you make it more clear? You want an anime that your parent(s) can watch, or you want one that your parent won't complaint when you (or brother, or cousin) watch?
Well, it's kinda both. I mean, I would like something my parents would approve of, and, at the same time, have something where if my dad suddenly says that he wants to watch it I won't have a panic attack (or be banned from anime until I'm 18).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Depends on what his parents think about violence. The OP made it seem that they are more concerned about sex.
Yeah, sex, nudity, and fanservice are the big no-no's. Violence is fine.
And, to be clearer, I'm looking for an anime that I, at 14, can watch without being sentenced to Japanese Dora.
My dad does extensive research on any anime I try to buy, and my mother watches it to check to see if it's appropriate.

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Closed Thread

Tags
girls, preteens