AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2009-04-07, 15:20   Link #41
oompa loompa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiKimmy View Post
I used to think that CR really was all that when I first joined, but not anymore

(Not since I discovered this place)
really? i think CR is probably closer to all that and more than it was before .. granted, what they do has issues, but I cant see how theyve become worse than before?

(unless you count the lack of shows now compared to before.. but really, the quality was never great - soon after they started h264 they got their parternship with gonzo - all the shows that could be found at CR could be found in other places, in better quality)
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 16:09   Link #42
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsieczkar View Post
They are streaming the first episode of this seasons simulcasts free for everyone.
Except that they don't, and that claim doesn't become any more true by some imaginary "Shinji" claiming this in RED!!!! BOLD!!!! CAPS!!!! with LOTS!!!! of exclamation marks.

It's simply a lie, sorry. The proof is here if you need one.
Old 2009-04-07, 22:09   Link #43
alamarco
Why hello there!

With regards to Saki, it was crap. A lot of ghosting and colour issues. However they'll fix that. Naruto was like this at the beginning, but they fixed it and now it rarely happens. The first episode of Shangri-La had no issues, same with Reborn. I'm surprised they had issues with Saki, but no doubt it'll be fixed.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-07, 22:59   Link #44
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Sooooo, should I wait to subscribe until they fix the first episode of Saki? Or will they fix it? Can I expect v2 or v3 when they screw up an episode?

I'd like to use Saki as my test case with them to see using CR actually pans out.
Old 2009-04-08, 01:28   Link #45
cyth
Banned

There is no unfair test, but Saki has issues. It's not just ghosting that's worrying, it has a whole slew of encoding problems. That being said, high resolution somewhat saves the experience, but the jerky pans are a tough cookie to swallow.
Shangri-la doesn't have glaring issues, but it doesn't stream in HD resolution, just regular SD. I hear this has everything to do with Gonzo not playing ball with HD.

Vexx, CR is offering a two-week trial. In any case, it won't cost you anything if you decide the service isn't worth your money.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 09:04   Link #46
alamarco
Why hello there!

Vexx: crunchyroll did fix their early versions of Naruto, so I imagine they'll also fix Saki. They were pretty quick with the Naruto fixing as well, but I'm not sure I'd expect that quick on something besides Naruto.
alamarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-08, 10:35   Link #47
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
Vexx: crunchyroll did fix their early versions of Naruto, so I imagine they'll also fix Saki. They were pretty quick with the Naruto fixing as well, but I'm not sure I'd expect that quick on something besides Naruto.
But they never fixed their other simulcasts like Shugo Chara or Skip Beat (albeit neither of them are as bad as Saki is).

It's a mixed bag and I think it depends a lot on how much pull CR has with the particular Japanese studio involved.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 03:35   Link #48
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post

It's 1.26mil with 15k @ $7/mo assuming that they pay all year round.
Let's assume they are paying 70/30. That leaves 378k/yr before overhead. That's maybe enough to cover maybe 10 staff and a full set of servers and leaves you nothing to spare.
I used 20,000 instead 15,000 because by the end of this year, they will reach that number if not surpass it.

What crunchyroll is doing is basically what fansub is doing. Showing anime. However, CR contributes money to anime industry.
Imagine if crunchyroll gets ALL the new anime coming out of Japan and showing them. Right now, CR is getting maybe 1/4 of the new anime in a licensed format.
http://animesuki.com/licensed.php

2009-03-19 Shangri-La Crunchyroll Press Release
2009-03-19 La Corda d'Oro ~secondo passo~ Crunchyroll Press Release
2009-03-19 La Corda d'Oro ~primo passo~ Crunchyroll Press Release

Imagine if CR gets Tears of Tiara, K-on, Asura Cryin' Cross Game, 07 Ghost and so on... You got 2 choices: Use crunchyroll legally or use fansubs.

With crunchyroll, the anime maker gets a large portion of the subscription and ad revenue. Is it 70%? 60%? Who know. But giving the anime studios $2 mil a year is better than $0.

As for someone saying I'm working for CR, lol. How many people read this thread? 200? CR gets 4 mil visistor. A CR PR person would concentrate on those people.

I like the vision of the future where everyone with internet can watch anime for free. However, the anime industry gets revenue from it. One day, streaming HD will be just as good as downloading HD and watching it. Look how far streaming has come in the last few years. Internet TV will be what cable TV was/is.
bigsocce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 03:48   Link #49
bigsocce

Here's a dreamy vision of the future:

CR gets 90% or more of new anime from Japan. CR keeps 30% of revenue while content providers get 70% (like hulu).

All anime are in 720p even for free users (who have to watch a few ads).
Subscription about $6/month will give you ad-free and you get to watch anime 3 days before free users and 1 hour after its Japanese broadcast.

Line-up on CR (90% or more of new anime):

Shangri-la
Saki
Hayate no Gotoku
Natsu no Arashi
Ristorante Paradiso
Chis Sweet Home
La Corda D'oro
Kigurumikku

Tears of Tiara
K-on
Asura Cryin'
Cross Game
07 Ghost
Winter Sonata
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hatsukoi Limited
Valkyria Chronicles
Sengoku Basara
Eden of the East
Pandora Hearts
Z-Hen
Hatsukoi Limited
etc....

720p and only 3 days after its release for FREE USERS (with about 2-3 ads and you can choose which ad to watch similar to hulu).
Subscribed users get 720p, ad-free and 1 hour after its Japanese broadcast. This will not kill all fansubs, just reduce them significantly. There will be those that like to archive and those that want to watch it for free with no ad. Where there is demand, there will be fansubbers who rip the subtitle from CR and put it on a raw. Which is just what happened with several CR shows right now.

This is what I suggest CR should do: Get all the new anime from Japan. Put them all on 480p or 720p even for free users. 3 days delay for free users instead of 7 days. 1 hour simulcast for premium users, ad-free of course. I wouldn't be suprised if 100,000 sign up for $6 a month. After all, you getting to watch 20 or more new anime in 720p quality.

100,000 x $6 x 12 = $7.2 mil
Add ad revenue to that. Not a bad dream. It doesn't even have to be with CR. Anime studios could team up and create a site similar to hulu/CR and get rid of the middle man. AnimeTV.com anyone?

Last edited by bigsocce; 2009-04-09 at 04:10.
Old 2009-04-09, 04:05   Link #50
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

I'm in awe of the fact you decided to actually type out a list of most of the shows airing this season when most of them will be long over by the time CR could pull off an expansion of that magnitude.

That said, K-on going to Crunchyroll would actually be kind of awesome because then maybe some of the oversubber groups would do something useful, like making sure that I get my Tayutama subs.

I kind of doubt CR is going to move to a 720P/three day system for free users soon... they need something substantial to differentiate their paid product, and three days doesn't really cut it when you consider that I frequently delay watching shows that long due to working on papers and the like.

BTW, has anyone else had the same problem with CPU utilization and dropped frames with CR's H.264 streams I mentioned earlier?
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 04:26   Link #51
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I'm in awe of the fact you decided to actually type out a list of most of the shows airing this season when most of them will be long over by the time CR could pull off an expansion of that magnitude.
I'm using this Spring season as an example of this 'future' vision. I don't know what will be on in Spring 2011. Who know what CR will have in 2 years time. Could be many anime or even no anime.

What I would love love love to see happen:

All the major anime studios in Japan team up and create a crunchyroll/hulu-like website titled AnimeTV.com or Anime.com or even AnimeSuki.com (buy this site like CBS bought TV.com for many millions of dollars because of the name/users).

Stream all their new shows in 720p for both free and premium users:

Free users: 2-3 ads per episode but user can choose which ads to watch, 3 days wait
Subscribed users at around $5 a month: ad-free, 1 hour after after Japanese broadcast
Download to own option that would cost about the same as 1 song ($1.29 using USA Itunes). So collecting a 24 episodes series would cost you about $31. Streaming anime is removed from the site if that series is licensed for Blu-Ray/DVD. Change is coming people. Just ever so slowly because the anime executives in Japan are very conservative. But they are beginning to see the light. The internet is the future of anime.

Last edited by bigsocce; 2009-04-09 at 04:37.
Old 2009-04-09, 05:41   Link #52
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
BTW, has anyone else had the same problem with CPU utilization and dropped frames with CR's H.264 streams I mentioned earlier?
It depends a lot on your system, but the adobe flash h.264 decoder that is used is not nearly as optimized as ffdshow's h.264 decoder, so for the 720p streams it can lag on middle-spec systems.
Supposedly they're going to try doing something about it in their next gen player they're developing but I have no idea what.

If the 720p lags you can try turning off video smoothing (right click menu) and see if that helps.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-09, 08:49   Link #53
KimmyChan

But to have reached almost 15,000 paying subscribers on CR is rather impressive
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-11, 02:10   Link #54
bigsocce

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmyChan View Post
But to have reached almost 15,000 paying subscribers on CR is rather impressive
They are aiming for 50,000 by the year end. So kinda impressive but not reallie
Old 2009-04-11, 05:53   Link #55
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

IMO, any legal streaming content of anime becoming successful should be encouraged by the very anime fans.

I don't use them, but I wish CR well for even more success.
Old 2009-04-12, 02:48   Link #56
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsocce View Post
They are aiming for 50,000 by the year end. So kinda impressive but not reallie
Where was this said? (Link required)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 03:30   Link #57
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post
Where was this said? (Link required)
Quote:
Kawasaki said they have signed up more than 10,000 fee-paying members since the tieup began Jan. 8 and hope to reach 50,000 by the end of this year.
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0090304f1.html
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 09:15   Link #58
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Reading through that article, it seems to be drawing a very bad conclusion at the end. So they really believe that Sazae-san and Ponyo of the Cliff did well because they were hand drawn and not because of much more likely factors such as name recognition and mainstream appeal? Seems like that guy they quoted is interpreting the data in a way to support a pre-existing belief rather than paying attention to what it's actually saying.
Old 2009-04-12, 09:37   Link #59
cyth
Banned

It's just a way to pay tribute to the most successful animation industry sector; it doesn't mean anything beyond that. Do note that this article was written for the mainstream, not otaku.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 09:40   Link #60
Hamchan
The World Ends With Me!

Well, good for CR. I visit their site a lot but probably won't ever subscribe since I can wait a while and watch the episodes then.
Hamchan is offline   Reply With Quote