AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-06-29, 00:43   Link #401
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie461 View Post
Well I guess my wall of text on page 18 was ignored ;^;

It's not your mistake that the characters were not explained, but it is your mistake to think that they could have done 26 episodes. If they could have done 26 episodes, I'm pretty sure they would have. Look at Kanon and Clannad. They even did remakes. If they could have done more episodes, they most likely would have. Be it financial problems or lack of story (this is based off a one volume light novel mind you, little room to work with), there are reasons why they did not do more. Luckily they explained the main characters and a few side characters. Main: Otanashi, Kanade (somewhat), Yurippe. Sides: Hinata, Yui, Iwasawa. Did I miss any? >_>
The anime was not based off of any light novel; the novel is a supplement to the anime. The anime was the primary and main means of conveying the story of Angel Beats. So no, the low number of episodes had nothing to do with lack of source material or "little room to work with".

Anyway, yes, there probably were serious, unavoidable reasons as to why the anime wasn't longer, such as lack of budget. Many anime nowadays have to be short, because there isn't as much money in the industry as there was, say, five years ago. I did hear something about how Jun originally asked for 13 episodes, got carried away in writing the story, then had to compress the story into thirteen 21 minute installments, but that's probably scratch.
Old 2010-06-29, 02:59   Link #402
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
@HeadlessPony

If you think Yuri never had this attitude, you've never read Track Zero.
Yeah but Yuri in Track Zero was definitely a Type A Tsundere, whilst Yuri in this episode looks like Type B Tsundere. They're completely opposite.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:02   Link #403
Jarmel

I would like to apologize wasting other posters' time with that major argument after episode 5. This show had much serious problems than character logic or thought. I do still stand by my earlier point about the atrocious writing. This is the first time I've ever given the middle finger to my screen while watching an anime episode.

They wasted over half the episode on frivolous crap such as the graduation ceremony instead of delving more into Yurippe or Kanade's backstory, like how did Yurippe or Kanade die but I guess all this stuff is just minor details. They instead decided to give Kanade a couple of lines at the end after Otonashi flat out lied and tricked everybody. Otonashi in the end turned out to be a bit of a scumbag but I did laugh pretty hard when he gave that speech or the ridiculous crying at the end. They literally wasted so much time on something that added nothing to the plot or the characters. Not to mention how they essentially just up and left the other SSS characters backgrounds. How about the lack of background on the main villain which they just clearly left open. Anyway I doubt that more episodes would have saved this show as they clearly didn't have any more material to work with unless they saved essentially everything for the side materials.

This is pretty much a crappier version of Lost(which had its own problems)with a heavy Key element.

P.S. It takes a special type of scumbag to lie to all your friends and decide to stay with your girlfriend in eternity. I was actually somewhat impressed.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:07   Link #404
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
taking it a bit too far aren't you ?
scumbag ?
deciding that he wants to stay behind to basically continue the same role Kanade had been doing all that time (trying to help newcomers find peace) makes him a scumbag ?
granted, he would get to spend all his time with the girl he loves, but you realize that this isn't exactly vacation.
its volunteer work.
he's passing up HIS chance at a new life, for the sake of helping others find theirs
Old 2010-06-29, 03:09   Link #405
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
taking it a bit too far aren't you ?
scumbag ?
deciding that he wants to stay behind to basically continue the same role Kanade had been doing all that time (trying to help newcomers find peace) makes him a scumbag ?
granted, he would get to spend all his time with the girl he loves, but you realize that this isn't exactly vacation.
its volunteer work.
he's passing up HIS chance at a new life, for the sake of helping others find theirs
B.S. He wanted to stay with Kanade and was using helping people as an excuse otherwise he would have wanted to see her off too. Not to mention he straight up lied to his friends when he said that he would be passing on. So yes, he's a scumbag.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:14   Link #406
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

i fail to see the part thats a crime about that.
who exactly would he be screwing over in this scenario.

his friends finally find peace after spending so long denying themselves that peace because of a misunderstanding.
he would be helping new comers avoid such misunderstanding in the future.
and Kanade, would only stay there because she WANTS to do so (she can move on the second she chooses to).

who's the victim here exactly ?
Old 2010-06-29, 03:15   Link #407
Crontica

Otonashi had no qualms about breaking everybody off from the realm, following basic ideology and all that but when his time had come he decided to back out at the last minute, cause he didn't want to lose this newly found peace that everyone else was fighting to preserve.

If that isn't scumbag-ish then i dont know what is.

Quote:
his friends finally find peace after spending so long denying themselves that peace because of a misunderstanding.
he would be helping new comers avoid such misunderstanding in the future.
and Kanade, would only stay there because she WANTS to do so (she can move on the second she chooses to).
LOL then why didn't Otonashi stay behind to help the wanderers the second Kanade cut her ties with the world?
Simple, he had interior motives when he gave that volunteer speech, which was clearly displayed in his confession.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:20   Link #408
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

again
who's the victim ?
Old 2010-06-29, 03:22   Link #409
Crontica

You trying to tell me Otonashi is somehow victim here? Victim in his past life sure, victim in this eye raising gambit? Hell no.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:24   Link #410
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
You trying to tell me Otonashi is somehow victim here? Victim in his past life sure, victim in this eye raising gambit? Hell no.
i'm telling you that there IS no victim here.
his actions hurt no one, and would help others
which is why i find this hatred of him rather odd
Old 2010-06-29, 03:25   Link #411
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

He didn't back out at the last minute, to preserve his newly found peace. He backed out because he wanted to stay to help others. He was just nervous about it because him staying to help out by himself wouldn't be all too great. And everyone else wasn't fighting to preserve their newly found peace. If they were then they still made the decision to disappear. Otonashi didn't force them to make that decision. He simply presented the case and let them decide. If they wanted to stay rather than disappear then I don't think Otonashi would've gone against that decision. But no one did.

Last edited by Haak; 2010-06-29 at 06:48.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:36   Link #412
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
He didn't back out at the last minute, to preserve his newly found peace. He backed out because he wanted to stay to help others. He was just nervous about it because him staying to help out by himself wouldn't be all too great. And everyone else wasn't fighting to preserve their newly found peace. If they were then they still made the decision to disappear. Otonashi didn't force them to make that decision. He simpl presented the case and let them decidie. If they wanted to stay rather than disappear then I don't think Otonashi would've gone against that decision. But no one did.
While the second half may be true, the bolded parts seem to contradict themselves.

While staying by yourself for all eternity to help out bypassers wouldn't be too great im sure, why did it feel like he just wanted to stay by Kanade's side more so than helping the wanderers. Which seemed hypocritical from my point of view, which made his past actions 12 mins ago look like he was putting up a front.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:39   Link #413
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

"do you want to stay behind and help others"
he wants to stay because he wants to be with her (he gave her his heart )
and together they will help the newcomers

again, wheres the harm
Old 2010-06-29, 03:41   Link #414
eiyuu99

Otonashi - The guy who is not supposed to be there.
Old 2010-06-29, 03:44   Link #415
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crontica View Post
While staying by yourself for all eternity to help out bypassers wouldn't be too great im sure, why did it feel like he just wanted to stay by Kanade's side more so than helping the wanderers. Which seemed hypocritical from my point of view, which made his past actions 12 mins ago look like he was putting up a front.
I'll admit, I kinda got that feeling too but I attribute it more to poor execution rather than it being the correct interpretation. I think it goes against the mood of the show.If he were really that much of a scumbag then he would've been called out on it, and we already know that he's being acting pretty 'Messiah-like' not just in his past but here too.

But I don't see how the bolded parts contradict themselves. It probably wouldn't have helped Kanade, no but it would've been her decision.
Old 2010-06-29, 04:26   Link #416
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Scumbag's not the good term to be used for Otonashi's actions throughout the show.

For one, he was doing what "the living Otonashi" have have done, helping others and becoming a martyr in the end. However, it appears that his interactions with Kanade changed how he looked at things, and, for the first time, felt afraid of being alone, especially at the time when the shadows appeared. That fear escalated when reality smacked him in the face again and he finds himself alone, save for Kanade.

He was just being decisive, but he doesn't realize that the decisions he makes are not always without sacrifices.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-06-29, 04:37   Link #417
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

As i mentioned before, truely the whole shadow thing is just a poor excuse to justify Otonashi 's actions to get everyone disappearing (after Yui's incident). Since everyone was facing worse option (the risk of losing soul and forever stay as an NPC, which is untrue), so they surrendered to terrors and gave up trying. It's a mistake that whole Front suffered. They should stay and fight on for this life instead of giving up and running away moving on hoping something better will wait for them in the end of the road

And of course after promoting an "unnecessary" alternative and get everyone to believe him; he backed off and tried to stay behind. That's where all the hatred are. While everyone believed him that if they move on, they will meet again, he did not actually believe that. Think of a leader who run away from battle after he let everyone believe that their only chance of surviving is marching forward
Old 2010-06-29, 04:43   Link #418
loopyluke
The Loopy Composer

To be honest, I enjoyed the episode while watching it, but had some of those Fridge Logic moments afterwards.

The major problem facing this series was how short it was, there was nowhere near enough time to develop all the characters in the show. It really needed to be at least double the length it was.
Old 2010-06-29, 05:11   Link #419
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

the greatest shortcoming of the show was how short it was.
this should have been a full 24 episode show.
i kinda hope we get a kyoto remake of it in a few years (like they did with Kanon)
its almost too good to be left at just 13 (again, like kanon)

P.S
am i the only one who thinks that the only reason they didn't call this show "angel heart" was because it was already taken ?
Old 2010-06-29, 05:25   Link #420
Crontica

Quote:
the greatest shortcoming of the show was how short it was.
this should have been a full 24 episode show.
i kinda hope we get a kyoto remake of it in a few years (like they did with Kanon)
its almost too good to be left at just 13 (again, like kanon)

P.S
am i the only one who thinks that the only reason they didn't call this show "angel heart" was because it was already taken ?
During the Donor card scene it would have become heavy foreshadowing, but yeah im guessing that's why aswell.