AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-11-15, 15:52   Link #1281
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Err, they got one Firefly, one 76mm armed Sherman but the rest have the crappy 75mm gun that is pretty much unable to harm a Tiger or Panther
Depends on how many Panthers and/or Tigers a team has.

Usual American strategy in Western Europe against Tigers involved multiple Shermans ganging up on one, sometimes with one Sherman acting as bait while others flanked its position and hit it from the side and behind repeatedly.

And Saunders has ten Shermans.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 15:53   Link #1282
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Given the fact that the Firefly made it in, I think that late game Tiger Ausf.B can make it in...
@Znail: A Sherman M4 can go toe to toe against a Panzer IV and it's reliable. The very fact that not every Joe smoe gets to use a Panther makes it also particularly bad when an M4 crew sees one, never mind Tiger, for chances are that the Panther and Tiger crew knew what they're doing.

(ID is Marisa Tak, although I am changing up to Miyanaga_Saki)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 15:54   Link #1283
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Given the fact that the Firefly made it in, I think that late game Tiger Ausf.B can make it in...
Well, Maho's flagship is definitely a Tiger

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2012-11-15, 16:01   Link #1284
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Tanks known to have participated in combat during the war aren't too exciting to be honest. What I want to know is what sort of prototype tanks and blueprint designs are allowed under the stated rules. Just one hint, and the possibilities are endless!

*wishes for T29*

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 16:07   Link #1285
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

That's the thing... I mean, this was discussed before. Technically speaking, E-100, E-50 and E-75, as well as HEAT rounds, night vision devices, Schmalturm, were all in planning, either on blueprint or being tested by the August deadline. The British can perhaps go as far as to field the Centurion or FV 201 Caenarvon with the 17-pounder should that be the case...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 16:44   Link #1286
Znail

Quote:
@Znail: A Sherman M4 can go toe to toe against a Panzer IV and it's reliable. The very fact that not every Joe smoe gets to use a Panther makes it also particularly bad when an M4 crew sees one, never mind Tiger, for chances are that the Panther and Tiger crew knew what they're doing.

(ID is Marisa Tak, although I am changing up to Miyanaga_Saki)
Early versions of PzIV and M4 are have pretty comparable guns, but the PzIV have better quality armor and thus a slight advantage in a shoot out.

Panther crews were actually a major issue during the war. Germany were running out of gas so had trouble training the crews for the new tanks so they ended up being a lot less well trained and lost many tanks due to that. Tigers on the other hand were introduced earlier and prioritised with elite crews and training. Germany should really have switched over some experienced PzIV crews to Panthers for maximum use of those better machines, but of course that would have taken some retraining.
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 16:47   Link #1287
4Tran

Quote:
On another note, this pops up quite often in 4chan /ak/ GuPWoT discussions: having SPGs participate in Panzerfahren. It is NOT fun to be met by Churchill AVRE's flying dustbin in the face, nor is it fun to meet a Sturmtiger morser in a dark alley... if you survive to meet them at all, that is.
Their guns are powerful, but they have poor accuracy and no rate of fire. Wouldn't it be better to stick with conventional tank destroyers and tanks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
When it comes to steamrolling, Russia really comes to mind. I wonder what Pravda would pull.
Maybe that's why they're the defending champions. I rarely think of Soviet tank forces as standalone units - they're just too closely tied to combined arms operations. Instead, I always think of maskirovka and superior generalship when it comes to the Red Army.

Quote:
Marina2, Tigers were pretty much centered on the philosophy that Tigers are strongest when alone

It is devastating as long as it has a clear sight & line of fire.

I remember one expert commented that the Tiger is a fine tank. There is really nothing wrong with it, its everything else that it comes with.
Well, the Germans did form the Tiger battalions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Well, not just Japanese Miltakus. Most people think of the Tiger when you they think German WW2 Heavy Armor, since it is the tank that made legends like Michael Wittman and generally made Allied tankers brown note themselves. As powerful as the Tiger II is, it just didn't make that much of an impact on the war to actually be remembered by more people.
The combat record of the Tiger I is quite astonishing; I guess a lot of it comes from being introduced fairly early in the war, and getting to go up against non-Firefly Shermans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Err, they got one Firefly, one 76mm armed Sherman but the rest have the crappy 75mm gun that is pretty much unable to harm a Tiger or Panther, even have issues with the PzIV . Well, at least according to the info given so do they have those, even if they look a bit too long to me.
The Shermans also have poor armor compared with the german tanks. It's not just the thickness, but also the use of soft iron instead of high quality hardened steel that the german tanks uses.
I meant against Ooarai's ragtag vehicles . The Sherman's 75mm gun is sort of weak against many tanks, but only the StuG III has any real protection against it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Tanks known to have participated in combat during the war aren't too exciting to be honest. What I want to know is what sort of prototype tanks and blueprint designs are allowed under the stated rules. Just one hint, and the possibilities are endless!

*wishes for T29*
No way! Production designs, especially combat-proven ones, are far superior to the paper tanks. A tank's ability can often only be judged by its combat record. Non-produced tanks have no record, so there's no way for them to be impressive. Otherwise, we'd all be talking about how awesome Shermans are because they have gyro stabilizers.
Old 2012-11-15, 17:51   Link #1288
Seihai
スマイリウム

Just caught up to ep 5 and while I'm not really knowledgable about that tank stuff (still interesting!), Jesus is it fun.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-11-15, 18:07   Link #1289
Tak

Yeah, she actually (or die trying) said Jesus... which is... hilarious in its own right.

- Tak

Old 2012-11-15, 19:01   Link #1290
PzIVf3

I been wondering all these year why British and American amour still inferior? Even Patton himself complain of their poor amour protection to the War Department and nothing happen.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 19:48   Link #1291
Sumeragi
Banned

The Germans guns were just that good. The armor themselves weren't bad at all.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 19:58   Link #1292
4Tran

Quote:
Yeah, she actually (or die trying) said Jesus... which is... hilarious in its own right.

- Tak
Washuu from Pretty Sammy said that all the time. I can't recall hearing it from any other character though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
I been wondering all these year why British and American amour still inferior? Even Patton himself complain of their poor amour protection to the War Department and nothing happen.
There was nothing wrong with American armor. The early Sherman's had design flaws which gave their armor extra weak points, but it was a fairly marginal problem. Otherwise, a 76mm Sherman is every bit a match for a Pz. IV G or H.

There was a problem of not having enough 76mm Shermans, but that's a different issue.
Old 2012-11-15, 20:54   Link #1293
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

It didn't help that the Germans also had that do everything 88mm gun that was a combo flak/antitank gun.

For being a clip show, 5.5 is surprisingly entertaining, and I rather enjoyed it.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 21:37   Link #1294
Random Wanderer

Wait... Momo's in charge of PR for the student council? Why is she given all the jobs she has NO skill at whatsoever? She's a gunner who can't shoot, she was the strategist who ruined her own plans by being unable to keep her head in the field, and she's in charge of public relations while being about as relatable and empathetic as a block of ice.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 21:50   Link #1295
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Wait... Momo's in charge of PR for the student council? Why is she given all the jobs she has NO skill at whatsoever? She's a gunner who can't shoot, she was the strategist who ruined her own plans by being unable to keep her head in the field, and she's in charge of public relations while being about as relatable and empathetic as a block of ice.
I think that would be the delicious, delicious irony.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 21:59   Link #1296
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
That is why the vice-president has to do everything
Old 2012-11-15, 22:40   Link #1297
The Based

New chart showing Momo as the noisiest character with the lowest intelligence while Mako is the quietest character with the highest intelligence.

Images
The Based is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 23:50   Link #1298
Kamui04

Quote:

- Tak
Well certain "Superior for some" Arian group insist that she said "Caesar"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Based View Post
New chart showing Momo as the noisiest character with the lowest intelligence while Mako is the quietest character with the highest intelligence.

Images
Wow the whole history club is on the lower intelligence side. Well it isn't like you need high intelligence to just memorize and quote stuff from history books. And it also explains how they shot themselves in the foot with the Stug III low profile and the big tall banners
Kamui04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-15, 23:50   Link #1299
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Images
The black knight story...?

As for ep 5.5, I knew it was going to be a recap so wasn't expecting much but it was a nice info episode.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-16, 01:02   Link #1300
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Based View Post

Images
Pretty sure that came out a bit ago.....
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks