AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2009-11-26, 01:33   Link #19721
Tempy
Σ(。д°(o--(ಠ益ಠ )
*Author

This is your story. Make up your own ideas and put it in written form. You already have something, so expand upon it. If you can't, then read more and think harder.

We're not here to hold your hand and guide you. Success is not for us to give you.
Old 2009-11-26, 02:51   Link #19722
Allquall
The Not-So-Kind One

Send a message via AIM to Allquall
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKN117 View Post
Due to fear of being ridiculed / picked apart, I never developed any of the ideas beyond what was posted above, and have no idea where to start. Those were just single scenes with no real background plot, because I never bothered to MAKE a background plot after my... previous experiences in this forum have left me convinced that my story-writing skills are abysmal beyond the capability of being saved.
I'm with Tempest on this. You have to write a story that you want; not a "choose your own adventure." What I love about this forum is that they will rip you to shreds if there's an issue with characterization or continuity. Trust me as one that's been on the receiving end, it saves your ass in the long run, because you can revise before putting it on FF.N. You're not writing your story in a spiral notebook in English class next to some Dragonball Z doodle where only God and your best friend will read it; you're putting in online in front of strangers with the chance of it being posted on Topless Robot. And we're a lot nicer than those posters~

So HTFU, trade in your pull-ups, and stride forth in men's briefs as you field criticism positively.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unkIVvjZc9Y

As for your block, Firstly, if you only have enough material for a one-shot, let it be a one-shot. Watch certain scenes from the anime again and get a feel for the characters and their motivations. Watch especially the dichotomy of Precia between Fate's lashing scene and Fate's implanted flashback. What would the transition between loving mother to obsessive maniac look like? You should grab some ideas just from that. Ask questions and form your own answers that are supported by evidence. That will keep you mostly clear of your characters going too OOC. But mostly write a story that you would want to read. That right there will allow you to evaluate critiques here and elsewhere. And Lord-knows, if you don't write about Precia, I will~

Also, preparation will make or break a drama. Outline and plot the major points before you start writing. I start with a clear visual of what I want the ending to be. Not everyone does it like that, but it works for me. However, planning ahead cannot be emphasized enough if you're aiming for a multi-layered plot. You need a map or else you'll be writing in circles and inevitably have to sacrifice characterization or grab a deus ex machina to lift you out of the mire of your prose.

Cheers and good luck with it.

*Runs off to catch a flight*

A Happy Thanksgiving to both Yanks and Non-Yanks alike.
Allquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 15:14   Link #19723
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
If you're writing just for attention, just for the acceptance of other people, take my advice and stop right now. Don't do it. Find some other creative hobby that you enjoy doing for its own sake.

I used to be just like you when it came to drawing. I would fiercely resent any criticism and get high off people's praise, but I actually didn't have fun drawing at all. I wasn't good at it, and I didn't love it enough to dedicate a chunk of my life to improving my skill. I produced purely to receive compliments, just to inflate my ego. That's the wrong way to go about things.

I love writing. I will write things just to write things. I'm working on an original novel project that nobody has actually even read yet, and probably won't read until I complete the rough draft. And when it does reach that stage, I will hand it over to a friend of mine who is such a vicious editor it makes this forum look positively tame in comparison. When the rough draft comes back blanketed in red ink, I'll swallow my pride and take her advice.

My advice to you is to do some looking inside yourself. Make sure you actually love to write, rather than just love receiving compliments. If you actually love writing, you'll be able to take any and all criticism head-on and use it to improve your skills.
Old 2009-11-26, 15:36   Link #19724
DKN117

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
If you're writing just for attention, just for the acceptance of other people, take my advice and stop right now. Don't do it. Find some other creative hobby that you enjoy doing for its own sake.

I used to be just like you when it came to drawing. I would fiercely resent any criticism and get high off people's praise, but I actually didn't have fun drawing at all. I wasn't good at it, and I didn't love it enough to dedicate a chunk of my life to improving my skill. I produced purely to receive compliments, just to inflate my ego. That's the wrong way to go about things.

I love writing. I will write things just to write things. I'm working on an original novel project that nobody has actually even read yet, and probably won't read until I complete the rough draft. And when it does reach that stage, I will hand it over to a friend of mine who is such a vicious editor it makes this forum look positively tame in comparison. When the rough draft comes back blanketed in red ink, I'll swallow my pride and take her advice.

My advice to you is to do some looking inside yourself. Make sure you actually love to write, rather than just love receiving compliments. If you actually love writing, you'll be able to take any and all criticism head-on and use it to improve your skills.
I... I honestly don't know what my motivations are. On one hand I'm partly fishing for good reviews from my work. On the other, I've been writing stories for years (I have an ff.net account), AND I have a very well-detailed mega-crossover story that I have made for my eyes only over the last 4+ years that will almost-certainly never see the public eye, mostly because of fear of criticism, but also for my own enjoyment (well, really, it's more a GIGANTIC 67-page-and-counting outline).

SIDE NOTE: No idea where to roll with this: the girls form a band. Vita on drums, Hayate on bass guitar, Fate is main guitar and backup vocals (her guitar is black & gold, and is named Guitardiche), and Nanoha is secondary guitar and main vocals (her guitar would be... Raising Note, perhaps?)
DKN117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 15:52   Link #19725
Thunderbird
IS: Liar's Mask
*Author

Quote:
I... I honestly don't know what my motivations are. On one hand I'm partly fishing for good reviews from my work. On the other, I've been writing stories for years (I have an ff.net account), AND I have a very well-detailed mega-crossover story that I have made for my eyes only over the last 4+ years that will almost-certainly never see the public eye, mostly because of fear of criticism, but also for my own enjoyment (well, really, it's more a GIGANTIC 67-page-and-counting outline).

SIDE NOTE: No idea where to roll with this: the girls form a band. Vita on drums, Hayate on bass guitar, Fate is main guitar and backup vocals (her guitar is black & gold, and is named Guitardiche), and Nanoha is secondary guitar and main vocals (her guitar would be... Raising Note, perhaps?)
In the end, most of us write things because there is something we want to share, even if it might be a little off the wall sometimes. I personally write because I enjoy it. Like I said on my FF.net account:

My rule of thumb when writing a story: If you, the Author, cant read your story at least a couple times and actually enjoy reading it like you would had it been written by someone else, then its probably best for you to take a step back and look at how and why you are writing to begin with...

I am not saying that everyone who reads the story will always bring out constructive criticism, there will always be the jerks that only say "this sucks" then leave. I don't even need to mention that you shouldn't even bother with those guys. However even if there are only 1 or 2 people that actually do give your constructive criticism that help enhance your writing, you owe it to them as people who actually took the time out of their day to read your story to help you out, to learn from what they see that 90% of the time we authors don't see since it makes perfect sense in our heads but never really comes out perfect on the page.

Once you find your motivation to write, I hope you would start to conquer your fear of criticism. I am fairly sure there will be people here who are interested in what you write.

Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 16:02   Link #19726
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

guitardiche is the most metal thing I've read in FFT, ever.
Old 2009-11-26, 16:09   Link #19727
Dark Knight Gafgar
Dirty Bloody /b/tard

Quote:
Spoiler for Teana & Modern Warfare 2:
So you're working on an MGLN/CoD crossover too, eh? Admittedly mine's a bit different...

Edit:

Quote:
Guitardiche
Dark Knight Gafgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 16:28   Link #19728
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Raising Note, perhaps?)
*groan* Oh my God the puns going through my head now!

(Happy Thanksgiving, Guys.)
Old 2009-11-26, 16:29   Link #19729
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
@DKN117: Fear of criticism is a normal thing. As human beings we strive for acceptance from others. But sometimes what we really need is acceptance from ourselves regardless of what others think. Write something you think is good. If you make something you're proud of and would like to show it to others, go right ahead. There's always the possibility that some one will harsh on you about it, but there will always be at least one person who will like it as well. And if people approach you and say "It was ok, but I think it can be better", let them help you! Use their input and make your work something you'll be even more proud of!

For example, when I wrote "The Next Step", it was something I was pleased enough with to share it, but with all the comments and constructive criticism I recieved, I was able to re-write it into something far better than the original.

And if you ever feel bad that people don't like you, just remember one thing: People compare others to me as the ultimate insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird View Post
My rule of thumb when writing a story: If you, the Author, cant read your story at least a couple times and actually enjoy reading it like you would had it been written by someone else, then its probably best for you to take a step back and look at how and why you are writing to begin with...
Yes. Very YES. I go back and re-read my previous stuff all the time.
Old 2009-11-26, 16:35   Link #19730
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Quote:
It's weird.

I can't stand to go back and read my own stuff.

Except to establish canon from one chapter to the next, I never go back and re-read my own stuff.

It annoys me for some reason.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 16:52   Link #19731
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

I rarely, extremely rarely go back and read my own stuff, less it's to remember myself on something. However, since I'm rewriting each chapter a couple of times, and then read it for myself a few times to see if it works before release, I guess that's the same thing. Especially if I actually like it, then I know it works.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 17:24   Link #19732
Thunderbird
*Author

I guess it works a lot for me since, as embarrassing as it is to say, I tend to forget my own stories lol! I sometimes go "When the heck did I write this?" on a couple of them and of course I always have to read the previous chapter in order to advance one XD. I know I know I am such a ditz sometimes when it comes to writing fanfics but hey! If I can get at least one of you to help correct my story before official posting...I'll take all the advice I can get. ^.^

Old 2009-11-26, 17:36   Link #19733
TheShinySword
Master of the Shiny Crack
*Author

Send a message via AIM to TheShinySword Send a message via MSN to TheShinySword
I love going through My Documents file and playing "What the hell is this file" I find I don't remember half the stuff I write, though I don't remember for good reasons normally

(Happy Thanksgiving to all!)
TheShinySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 17:58   Link #19734
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShinySword View Post
I love going through My Documents file and playing "What the hell is this file" I find I don't remember half the stuff I write, though I don't remember for good reasons normally

(Happy Thanksgiving to all!)
Yeah, that happens to me sometimes. I've written a lot of smut fics for my friend over the years, and the other day I went through them so I could re-send them to her and I didn't even remember writing most of them

Well, that's a case of writing something for a specific individual. Those are easy because you just nead to please the one person.

(Thanksgiving was last month up here, but Happy thanksgiving to you Yanks all the same )
Old 2009-11-26, 18:02   Link #19735
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

New chapter, longer than the others.

Spoiler for Altered Course #02: Lost Logia:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

---

Altered Course
Chapter #00: Raising Heart
Chapter #01: Lyrical, Magical!
Chapter #02: Lost Logia

Last edited by synaesthetic; 2009-11-27 at 16:29.
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 18:33   Link #19736
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Heh.

Heh, well, what a really polite chain of responses to a DKN117 post... I wonder what could have brought this about.

Quote:
First of all, props to you for actually keeping your cool, and for your attempt at poking some fun at yourself. Regarding your (lack of) motivations, it is pretty strange. As I've mentioned a couple of times many pages back, I'm usually more of a musician and a visual artist (if you can call it that) and not a writer, but even I do have a motivation when it comes to writing, and that's for getting rid of all plot bunnies that happen to cross my mind. When I do post, it's because I feel as though I've written something good enough to share with other people. That said, looking back, I was, and still am pretty ashamed of the very first fic that I've posted. I had to step back for a little while and try something different. My Archie crossover fic had potential, but given all the relationships that I had to juggle with the two main plots, I had no choice but to scrap it. Now, I'm just perfectly content working on my Pride & Prejudice crossover. To anyone who's interested in reading it, Chapter 3's about 75% complete (at slightly over 2000 words - these things are getting longer and longer...), and I'll have it posted as soon as I have it beta'd.

For the whole "getting good reviews" bit. I'll have to agree with the others. Just because people don't read reviews doesn't mean your story was not read. It's that either they don't have the time to respond to every single thing in this thread (we all have to live IRL, after all), or they feel that your story has potential, but are waiting to see where it goes before commenting. My advice for when you finally post?

A huge title helps to attract attention.

Quote:
Eh, lemme see if I can whip up something to show you how easy it is to write something that's been developed beyond an idea, no matter how short the "something" is.

Quote:
Yeah, had to do that a couple of times before starting work on my current crossover. It was definitely a good wake-up call for me.

* shot at for continuous self-promotion *

Ow.

Quote:
I am not saying that everyone who reads the story will always bring out constructive criticism, there will always be the jerks that only say "this sucks" then leave. I don't even need to mention that you shouldn't even bother with those guys. However even if there are only 1 or 2 people that actually do give your constructive criticism that help enhance your writing, you owe it to them as people who actually took the time out of their day to read your story to help you out, to learn from what they see that 90% of the time we authors don't see since it makes perfect sense in our heads but never really comes out perfect on the page.

Once you find your motivation to write, I hope you would start to conquer your fear of criticism. I am fairly sure there will be people here who are interested in what you write.
Hope you're taking note of this, DKN117. And remember, since you do have a couple of good ideas, we're looking forward to seeing them in story-form, even if they're just snippets of one-shots.

Quote:
guitardiche is the most metal thing I've read in FFT, ever.
Heh.

* dashes off to make a phone call to the Japanese branch of ESP Guitars. *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
@DKN117: Fear of criticism is a normal thing. As human beings we strive for acceptance from others. But sometimes what we really need is acceptance from ourselves regardless of what others think. Write something you think is good. If you make something you're proud of and would like to show it to others, go right ahead. There's always the possibility that some one will harsh on you about it, but there will always be at least one person who will like it as well. And if people approach you and say "It was ok, but I think it can be better", let them help you! Use their input and make your work something you'll be even more proud of!
Precisely.

@ DKN117:Not that I have actually read Evil Rick's stuff yet, but despite all the flak and criticism that he received for his work, he still soldiered on, and some people still enjoyed reading his stuff. Given the format of how his stories are presented, well, yeah, props to him.

Quote:
And if you ever feel bad that people don't like you, just remember one thing: People compare others to me as the ultimate insult
Oh? Why is that so?

Edit: Adding on a small one-shot that I promised earlier. It's completely unscripted, FYI.

Spoiler for Signum/Shamal, OOC-ness:

A/N: The song is "Like The Angel" by Rise Against.

Yeah, enjoy.

Last edited by OZ7UP; 2009-11-26 at 20:34.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 19:51   Link #19737
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Quote:
New chapter, longer than the others.

Spoiler for Altered Course #02: Lost Logia:

Spoiler for Author's Notes:

---

Altered Course
Chapter #00: Raising Heart
Chapter #01: Lyrical, Magical!
Chapter #02: Lost Logia
A bigger role for Miyuki? I'm behind this 9001%! If you are going down the Yuunoha route, I think having Miyuki knowledgeable about that will provide some fun . Once again you do a great job describing things. You totally kick my ass in that department. It's definitely on par with stuff I read in published novels. I look forward to the next chapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ7UP View Post
Oh? Why is that so?
It's a long story, but I'll try to make it as brief as possible. It started when I wrote a story about Nanoha getting married, but I didn't say who she was marrying until the very end (it was Yuuno). However, I was an idiot and went "Dur hur hur, I'll mark it N/F and then say it means Nanoha/Ferret! Oh I'm so clever!" And my retardedness continued when I put a note at the end which basically said "Haha, I tricked you!"

So this rightfully got me labeled as a troll. I removed the note and improper tag the next morning after realising my stupidity, but alas it was too late. I made efforts to apologise and make up for it, but that isn't enough for some people.

Even after that, though, for a while I was the only author on FF.net posting (properly labeled) Yuuno related stories, in which I paired him with both Nanoha and Fate. But this only intensified the malice directed toward me because I was a "homophobic troll that insists on destroying Nanoha and Fate's beautiful canon relationship by pairing them with the ferret."

So as a result on imageboards I've seen things like "You're a worse troll than F91!" or "Get lost furfag. You must be that F91 guy because he's the only one who cares about Yuuno!"

My name shall forever live on in infamy! BWAHAHAHA!!!
Old 2009-11-26, 19:59   Link #19738
OZ7UP
Music for life.
*Author

Quote:
It's a long story, but I'll try to make it as brief as possible. It started when I wrote a story about Nanoha getting married, but I didn't say who she was marrying until the very end (it was Yuuno). However, I was an idiot and went "Dur hur hur, I'll mark it N/F and then say it means Nanoha/Ferret! Oh I'm so clever!" And my retardedness continued when I put a note at the end which basically said "Haha, I tricked you!"

So this rightfully got me labeled as a troll. I removed the note and improper tag the next morning after realising my stupidity, but alas it was too late. I made efforts to apologise and make up for it, but that isn't enough for some people.

Even after that, though, for a while I was the only author on FF.net posting (properly labeled) Yuuno related stories, in which I paired him with both Nanoha and Fate. But this only intensified the malice directed toward me because I was a "homophobic troll that insists on destroying Nanoha and Fate's beautiful canon relationship by pairing them with the ferret."

So as a result on imageboards I've seen things like "You're a worse troll than F91!" or "Get lost furfag. You must be that F91 guy because he's the only one who cares about Yuuno!"

* shakes head slowly *

What sad lives those guys live. They give NanoFate fans a really bad name.

EDIT: Oh, FYI, I've added a short to my previous post regarding forming a band.
OZ7UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-26, 20:00   Link #19739
Thunderbird
*Author

Quote:
A bigger role for Miyuki? I'm behind this 9001%! If you are going down the Yuunoha route, I think having Miyuki knowledgeable about that will provide some fun . Once again you do a great job describing things. You totally kick my ass in that department. It's definitely on par with stuff I read in published novels. I look forward to the next chapter.

Wow, that's pretty brutal. But I must say though, the fact that you haven't lost your head shows that you have strong resolve. Me personally? I would just LMAO and keep going. I mean, I'm the author right? Although I sometimes get killed by the very characters I write about (Excel Saga anyone?), we should still be entitled to our opinions. I will say though...the joke might have slightly crossed the threshold there, but at the same time, they didn't have to go that far. I personally found it funny...but I guess I am more "unrestricted" than some people *shrugs*

Old 2009-11-26, 20:09   Link #19740
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam

Good Lord, I disappear for two days and the FFT explodes!

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha