Old 2009-09-30, 20:04   Link #1202
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Uiruu View Post
the entire percy jackson and the olympians series
*highfives* One of the best series ever.

The Reel Life Of Viola by Adriana Trigiani

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 21:09   Link #1203
Taylo

I just finished "from a Buick 8" by Stephen King. Very good book, great writing and story. And since I'm here, does anyone else think the car was one of the cars driven by "the Low Men", who appear in the Dark Tower series, and Hearts in Atlantis? I mean in "Hearts in Atlantis" they tell you the "Low Men" drive things which look like cars but are not, as the car in this novel appears to be.
Taylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-07, 21:41   Link #1204
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
"New Moon"... by SMeyers...

I need brain bleach...
Old 2009-10-07, 22:50   Link #1205
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

The Cloud of Unknowing

It's a treatise on meditation by an anonymous monk of Medieval Europe, written to a friend requesting guidance. Its title comes from one of its principle instructions, that part of touching on the divine requires freeing yourself from the preconceptions and distractions you live with daily and blot them from your mind's eye with a 'cloud of unknowing'. Brief and fascinating, I'd recommend it to anyone serious about meditation or theology.
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:54   Link #1206
calorie

A Quiet Life by Ōe Kenzaburō (english version). This was the first book I've read from this author and it definitely instilled a desire to read his other works.

I have only just finished this book and I haven't given the book much thought as a whole, though I can say for sure this is some great literature. This japanese writer has remarkable ability to gaze into human mind; in this book where a simple life of a rather unusual family is portrayed, even in the tiniest, most common instances of life can one find thoughts of self-questioning that every human goes through. Naturally, I liked the book very much.
calorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 16:48   Link #1207
LusterFlare
Lost.

The Last Unicorn for my English class.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 20:20   Link #1208
Splitpersonality
Amateur Psychomocologist

Nine stories by J.D. Salinger is what I'm currently reading, and I just completed A Hero of our time, by Lermontov. I'm reading these for my english class, psychological profiles in literature, and they have been quite good thusfar.

Before that I read the entire Demonatta series by Darren Shaw, it was quite good, despite not being "sophisticated literature", my favorite book from that series is Bec, the third book, which I very much enjoyed for reasons I can't explain.

Splitpersonality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 23:55   Link #1209
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Today I read City of Thieves by David Benioff. Really an excellent book: the integration of humor with tragedy is exceedingly smooth. Even more impressive given how grim the circumstances of the story are is that it's not all pitch-black humor, but some blue and some very intellectual. It's under 300 pages, so it's definitely one-sitting material, and you'll enjoy yourself the whole way through.
Ricky Controversy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 00:16   Link #1210
Theowne
耳をすませば

I've been on a quest to read the novels on the Times top 100 novels list. So far I've read, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Passage to India, A Clockwork Orange, and Catcher in the Rye. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite of the four, it's characters and story are very memorable, I don't think I'll ever forget Atticus and Scout. A Passage to India was a fine novel but I felt like it didn't really use the premise of cross-colonial friendship and conflict to its full extent. A Clockword Orange was interesting, as was Catcher in the Rye, but the latter didn't scream "classic" to me. It was a perfectly good novel, but I didn't find anything remarkable about it.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 09:01   Link #1211
tensashinigami
ヴァイザード

I finally got finish reading In The Miso Soup by Ryu Murakami, it's less than 300 pages as well. I took a while to read it because classes. It has a unique story about a serial killer in japan. Currently, I'm reading a classic by John Steinbeck: East of Eden.
tensashinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 13:11   Link #1212
PrincessFrani
TsuruyaxMikuru Worshipper

I'm almost done with "Ella Enchanted" and plan on reading it's sequel "Fairest" next. I'm actually starting to be in love with Levine's work.
PrincessFrani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:25   Link #1213
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Currently reading Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 14:30   Link #1214
JRendell
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tensashinigami View Post
...Currently, I'm reading a classic by John Steinbeck: East of Eden.
*High 5* I love his books.
JRendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 15:38   Link #1215
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Currently reading "The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces" by William H. Whyte for my Environmental Design Analysis class.
Old 2009-10-10, 16:06   Link #1216
Chaho-Chi
toptoptoptoptoptoptoptopt
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Chaho-Chi
Reading - Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Chaho-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 16:12   Link #1217
Anju-chan
Fly!!!
*Author

Blue Bloods - Melissa De La Cruz
It - Stephen King (oh god, when does this book END? I swear, this is the longest book I've read in my life! Over 1000 pages!)

Courtesy of ayu-smepai
Anju-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-10, 18:35   Link #1218
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I've been on a quest to read the novels on the Times top 100 novels list. So far I've read, To Kill A Mockingbird, A Passage to India, A Clockwork Orange, and Catcher in the Rye. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite of the four, it's characters and story are very memorable, I don't think I'll ever forget Atticus and Scout. A Passage to India was a fine novel but I felt like it didn't really use the premise of cross-colonial friendship and conflict to its full extent. A Clockword Orange was interesting, as was Catcher in the Rye, but the latter didn't scream "classic" to me. It was a perfectly good novel, but I didn't find anything remarkable about it.
To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my absolute favorite books. I've read it about 3 or 4 times by now. If you like the book do yourself a favor and see the movie. It's a great adaption and Gregory Peck is the perfect Atticus.

Anyways I recently finished Jekyll & Hyde & David Copperfield. Currently reading Asimov's Foundation & Hamlet. I used to never read more than one book at a time but recently it's been a trend to read more than one at once.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-18, 17:13   Link #1219
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

A compilation of poems and fews proses of Lord Byron from the Oxford university press.
As good as his Don Juan and Childe Harold's Pilgrimage are, I still prefer to read shorter poetry.
Old 2009-10-18, 17:19   Link #1220
SirJeannot
AT Field

dans les bois eternels - vargas > another vargas, that's what i like about those
the ice limit - preston > the usual big stuff, well made
ni d'eve, ni d'adam - nothomb > i dunno about the translations, however this book is a wonder: nothing happens, but the atmosphere is so different. it's about the personal life of the author when she was in japan.

Tags
books