AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-03, 04:37   Link #3101
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, c'mon. Brera is the bees knees in this movie. I mean, he single-handedly finished the major antagonists and saved the day, people! AND he looks like a cyber-priest-ninja-whatever. Takes balls, man!

Old 2011-11-03, 04:57   Link #3102
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Undercover priest cop~!
Old 2011-11-03, 08:58   Link #3103
Lancel

Brera the Undercover Priest-Cop was just randomly awesome. I was amused by his antics and entertained by his fights. Somehow he was responsible for the majority of the plot twists in the second movie. A better character than Series-Brera? I'm not sure, but I personally was much more entertained by Movie-Brera.
Old 2011-11-03, 09:38   Link #3104
ChronoReverse

I felt movie-Brera actually DID more than the series-Brera when it comes down to impact on the whole but movie-Brera didn't have enough time to really make a character.
Old 2011-11-03, 14:07   Link #3105
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

My one biggest complaint about the movie was the lack of Banana & Princess battle ballade, and I didn't expect Banana to go kamikaze on the last scene.

The battle ballade with Princess & Banana was the highlight of episode 25 and easily my favorite segment of Macross Frontier, especially with Limeka and Strawberry's duet in the background.

We got the duet int he movie, but no ballade... which was a slight let down.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-03, 14:13   Link #3106
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
was the lack of Banana & Princess
You don't know how awesome but hilarious this sounds.
Old 2011-11-03, 14:27   Link #3107
wisteria233

Well finally had time to go see the movie

Well I have to say that I really do like the movie much better than the last episode of Fronteir and no it isn't because of the resolution of the love trianle (anyone with half a brain would have figured that out on their own)

Story:
I saw a lot of the groundwork laid out by the tv series in this movie just played out differently and really I think that I prefer that more, than if it was just a retelling. I liked the change in villains, as Leon made a surprsingly effective villain (even though he still lacks a credible haircut), though I could have done without the Cabal getting in the way. The ultimate defeat of Leon's plans though were quite bloody, I almost never expected for that to happen the way it did. My only complaint is that the main story wasn't given enough focus, really it shouldn't be this hard to discern the story.

Characters:
Well Sheryl and Alto were awesome as usual, though I did like the new angle they went with Sheryl. Making her involement with Galaxy and knowledge of the whole affair entirelly vague, but making sure that we the viewers know that at the end she chose Alto and Ranka over Galaxy and her own life.

With Alto, it really just showed different sides to his personality, I mean in the tv series he was duty oriented, yes, but too much emphasis was put on his love of the sky, and not enough on everything else. In this movie we kinda get the feeling that he thinks about more things than just flying. Its really good that they put more of an emphasis on his other character traits.

Ranka had the biggest change; seriously they altered her character design, personality, and behavior to make her more fit in with the narrative, and I have to say I like it. Tv series Ranka did not come across as a 16 year old, but rather a 12 year old who was always in her own head. I also like that the parts that seemingly resemble tv series Ranka are just Ranka's stage persona used for marketing and doesn't apply to Ranka's character itself, because that's how it is with a lot of upcoming artists. Her new outfits were quite cute, and still gave off the feeling that she was 16 and not 12.

Grace I gotta say, in the previous movie I wondered why they made Sheryl's ability to release fold waves peak so early, but with this movie I understand it more when I looked at Grace's character in the movie. With Sheryl's power peaking Grace no longer has any reason to abandon, her as there are other ways to extend Sheryl's life. I generally like how caring she was to Sheryl, and considering that she raised Sheryl her closeness to Sheryl made sense. I actually felt really bad for her when I saw her at the end of the movie.

Ozma is less creepy in this movie than he was in the previous one, really he gave off the feeling of a siscon in the TFD, so I'm glad he's back to being the Ozma we all know in this one.

Brera or Undercover Priest Cop, was meh to me. He didn't really leave a lasting impression.

Animation:
it was glorious

Music:
I really love Niji-iro Kuma Kuma, the entire proformance is stuck in my head, I know like Kindan no Elixir more than I did when I listened to it on the ost. Also Sayoanara no Tsubasa that song.. that sequence... my body wasn't ready. I only mourn the fact that we never got to see Sheryl sing Diamond Crevasse Thank You Frontier in the movie.

Overall:
A pretty enjoyable movie. I really liked it even though it was somewhat cheesy, in a few places. I really like it.

Off topic: anybody besides me wish that we would have gotten some of the concerts from here on Nyan Clip, instead of the ones we got? Even though the movie used some of the footage from it.
Old 2011-11-03, 15:30   Link #3108
magnuskn

I guess we should try to establish some facts on how much Sheryl knew of Galaxies plans.

Things we know:

- Sheryl knew that her voice was needed to communicate with the Vajra.

- Sheryl reluctantly seemed to agree with the idea of harvesting Rankas organs to save her life. This lasted for the period of about one day, between just before Rankas concert and until Sheryl was taken captive by Leon. We see her being clearly conflicted about the whole issue, but she does not immediately reject the idea.

Things which do not know:

- If Sheryl was cognizant of the plans to control the Vajra ( likelyhood: Unlikely ).

- How Sheryl was infected with the V-Type virus.

- If Sheryl actively was supposed to be spying on Frontier and knew about her role ( likelyhood: Unlikely ).
Old 2011-11-03, 16:19   Link #3109
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
- If Sheryl actively was supposed to be spying on Frontier and knew about her role ( likelyhood: Unlikely ).
I wouldn't call it unlikely. Only say this because Sheryl didn't seem surprised at all at the turn of events after Grace was captured.
Old 2011-11-03, 18:06   Link #3110
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, everything seems very vague and open to interpretation...

Old 2011-11-03, 18:23   Link #3111
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I wouldn't call it unlikely. Only say this because Sheryl didn't seem surprised at all at the turn of events after Grace was captured.
I personally felt that she only gained knowledge of it all recently. That is, when Grace started talking about using Ranka parts.
Old 2011-11-03, 19:34   Link #3112
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoReverse View Post
I personally felt that she only gained knowledge of it all recently. That is, when Grace started talking about using Ranka parts.
That's pretty much what I think, too. Which is why I put Sheryl being in on the spying business under "unlikely". That she was very calm when she was captured seemed to me more dependent on her feeling guilty for agreeing to Graces plans for Ranka. Basically a "I had it coming" moment.
Old 2011-11-03, 20:00   Link #3113
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Again, very open to interpretation. Which is always nice, IMHO.

Old 2011-11-03, 21:24   Link #3114
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Oh, c'mon. Brera is the bees knees in this movie. I mean, he single-handedly finished the major antagonists and saved the day, people! AND he looks like a cyber-priest-ninja-whatever. Takes balls, man!
Meanwhile Alto was performing Kabuki for the Vajra Queen.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-11-03, 22:21   Link #3115
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

I found some questionable pieces in the movie that weren't actually explained or shown:
- Grace losing her implant (when did THAT happen?)
- Brera knowing he was Ranka's brother (which wasn't in the series)
- And such poor guards at Alcatraz

For the last one, I found a scene that might stop that "Alcatraz is run by idiots" comment from everyone:
After Sheryl is broken out of jail by Alto, inside the control room, they talk about working with the protocol. When Sheryl and Ranka sing Get it on ~ Kousoku Climax, they say the protocol is finished. Mishima tells them to send in the "control squad." Then you have Michael, Canaria, and Klan taking out the guards.
I'm left to assume that Mishima had PLANNED for Sheryl to be broken out (most likely by Ranka) and sing together, therefore their songs would resonate and the protocol research would be finished. When the Vajra arrive, the plan is considered done.

So it's not about Alcatraz being guarded by idiots but rather Mishima being a villain out to accomplish his plans by any means necessary.
Old 2011-11-03, 23:33   Link #3116
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I found some questionable pieces in the movie that weren't actually explained or shown:
- Grace losing her implant (when did THAT happen?)
- Brera knowing he was Ranka's brother (which wasn't in the series)
1 - I can only assume either in the rooftop scene or at the very end before Sheryl starts singing (when she returns the microphone and earring) AKA Either of the 2 times she was shot.

Funny thing is is when she talks about the implant, part of her head give an electric frazzle, making me assume that her implant was her hairpin, however the shower scene in the first movie she doesn't have it at all.

I would then make the conclusion that they changed her hairpin into an implant? Seeing as though she was getting attached to Sheryl? Its a bit to roll over in your mind and contemplate.

2 - This answer is shorter.... probably programmed. You know, as a puppet like Sheryl said.
Old 2011-11-03, 23:44   Link #3117
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
1 - I can only assume either in the rooftop scene or at the very end before Sheryl starts singing (when she returns the microphone and earring) AKA Either of the 2 times she was shot.

Funny thing is is when she talks about the implant, part of her head give an electric frazzle, making me assume that her implant was her hairpin, however the shower scene in the first movie she doesn't have it at all.

I would then make the conclusion that they changed her hairpin into an implant? Seeing as though she was getting attached to Sheryl? Its a bit to roll over in your mind and contemplate.
I could easily assume it was in her arm, since her one arm was torn off. Otherwise, I don't see any other time when it could've happened because Grace was being held prisoner and not being tortured, yet she was still under the implant's power when speaking to Mishima after the rooftop scene; so I assume her arm being torn off was the break, I guess.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:34   Link #3118
j0wjow
Jack of all trades

Just rewatched in HD and as expected, was blown away. Gave it a 9!
Took a point off for the surfing Quarter (idk, just didn't sit well with me) and for Alto disappearing at the end. Here's me hoping they'll come up with an OVA or an epilogue in the Director's cut edition.
I honestly enjoyed Itsuwari no Utahime more, but this one definitely wasn't too far behind.
Loved how they made Grace more motherly.

The problem though, is that I may have fallen in love with Sheryl's character.
That can't be good.. First off, that's slightly insane. Main symptom: actual chest pain when you tell yourself she's not real.
I have strong suspicion that listening to the End of Triangle album for the past 48 hours has something to do with it. Specially Diamond Crevasse.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:38   Link #3119
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0wjow View Post
Here's me hoping they'll come up with an OVA or an epilogue in the Director's cut edition.
That WAS the director's cut. There was no other version.

Less there was a difference between BD and DVD that I didn't notice in my package? I honestly didn't see any bonus footage in the way of "epilogue."

I think your hopes are more centered on an OVA or Nyan Clip.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:57   Link #3120
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0wjow View Post
Took a point off for the surfing Quarter (idk, just didn't sit well with me)
Kawamori also worked in Eureka Seven, so Wilder's stunt was quite a tip of the hat.

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song