Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-15, 20:45   Link #1121
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well its still the series that had one of the most shocking openings I could remember. Not many just go out there and kill people you expect to be members of the main group. Also they just went down so easily.
the director learn his craft form kill them all tomino. He also directed KGNE, so he has plenty of experience shocking his audience.
Old 2008-05-15, 22:48   Link #1122
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It's been over a year since I last posted in this thread.

To me Strain was the best sci-fi drama anime show, that I got the pleasure to fully enjoy back in 2006.

I got a little surprised when I learned that FUNi acquired the license for Strain.

Moreover, I admit I had some concerns whether someone or not would eventually license it, since fifteen months flew by after the last episode's broadcast, but the show remained unlicensed until today.

Good to hear that it finally got it's deserved license. I read as well that FUNi intends to release all 13 episodes of the entire series in a single boxset on next year.
Old 2008-05-16, 01:08   Link #1123
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the director learn his craft form kill them all tomino. He also directed KGNE, so he has plenty of experience shocking his audience.
Except the series was far too short for any of those deaths to actually have any significant impact in the long run. I honestly think that that was what killed the series dead for me. Even 10-11 more episodes and they might have had a chance to explain some of the villains motives a little better other then asking the viewers to make massive leaps in logic on how it all went down. That would also make the formulaic episodes a lot less painful as they could have stopped doing those about halfway through and used the rest of the time for something less predictable. It wouldn't have made it awesome, but it would have at least saved it from being the utter waste of time it was for me.

And I have to say that the Funimation chosen title is an extremely poor descriptor for the series. Strategic Armored Infantry makes it sound like it's some sort of Votoms type series when really there's not much strategy going on at all in the series, nor are the Strains really infantry. They are supposed to be piloted by the elites and attached to a navy so they are more like Marine Commando's. Even then though the Strains are mecha so it makes no sense to classify them like Personel. And even then the title makes it seem like the Strain's which are apparently infantry are going to be the major focus of the series when of course that's not the case at all. I know Funi loves to change the names of series when they license them, but could they at least make it have something to do with the core themes of the show instead of just something totally random.
Old 2008-05-16, 01:51   Link #1124
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

The licensed name... (-_-) *sigh*

It was a decent anime, from what I can still remember.
Yeah, this anime sure could kill characters that look important right away...

Not going to buy the DVDs though, since I'm not interested in watching it again.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2008-06-29, 04:46   Link #1125
Sezren
Inactive Member

About Sara not defending herself in the bullying scenes. I dont think this is mostly because of "survivors guilt". But rather because fighting back would mean that she actually cares, that they can touch her. And being touched would mean that she could be hurt again which she is afraid of. Her asking "Are you happy now?" instead of "Please give me more - I deserve it all!" also hints at that. And the reaction (they notice that they "cant touch her" and it makes them mad) as well. And in the same vein Lotties comments about Saras stubbornness. Her saying in the end "I am not alone" (dont remember exactly) means that she wasnt plagued by guilt but by something else (like loss and then self-imposed isolation).
About Saras perceived "unworthiness" to be friends: This looks to be because she isnt one of them and is not there to fight with the team against the enemy but rather to do her own "find out about my brother" mission. She sees that as a betrayal.
Old 2009-01-03, 21:44   Link #1126
harmonious

Trailer is up on the official website. From the voice over, Sara's voice actor seems like she will do a good job. It is one of the few anime where I cross my fingers for a good dub.

http://funimation.com/strain/
Old 2009-01-04, 04:38   Link #1127
JediNight
キズランダム

Show was kinda meh overall. A lot of shock value in deaths, but you never get a good idea of the motivations of her brother until the end. And the completely shark-jumping episodes like the "shower scene" were out of left field and uncalled for in a show thats otherwise fairly serious. Seemed like a random ratings grab to me.

Overall I give it a 6/10.
Closed Thread