AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-08-28, 03:49   Link #1101
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcpanda View Post
in terms of grittiness & quality, how would you guys compare denyuuden/mknr with others?

based on being able to read the actual text
Mahouka is many times superior in prose and descriptions if we are comparing with DYD. However, the details can sometimes be overwhelming for the simplest of things (which is considered bad by some native readers). A third of the text in Mahouka is either setting or descriptions. The mechanisms also stem from believable science which makes it enjoyable and yet an occasional pain. The main draw of course is its overpowered protagonist (at least for the native readers), though despite the fact we know he's overpowered, it's strangely still entertaining. Mahouka uses 3rd person narration and a lot of parts trigger the readers to infer the traits of characters from their actions and behavior (which are described in great detail). In other words, there is a lot of show-not-tell employed to help the reader to understand the characters.

DYD has been rated as a series with one of the simplest and worst prose that you can ever have in a light novel (which also makes it somewhat hard to translate sometimes though, from a different end of the spectrum with an entirely different reason, unless you are fine with sacrificing English prose quality, like me). Except for heavy expositions, majority of the text is either dialogue or monologue making it relatively easy to read and zip through. Contrary to Mahouka, DYD employs the heavy use of monologue to help the reader to understand characters. As such, it offers a more intimate view into a character and allows the reader to better empathize with the characters. Even though it has prose issues, it is pretty well organized in terms of well-planned changing of perspectives at different points in the story (unlike Oda Nobuna, which has haphazard monologue). Obviously, it uses first-person narration. The draw of the series is that the setting grows to pretty humongous proportions and nearly the entire cast of supporting characters (and there are many of them) are very well fleshed out, partly attributed to the large number of side stories (currently standing at 18 volumes) and as well as the frequent change in POVs. Also, nearly every character goes through insane shit to make them the way they are, which makes it interesting to me. DYD is pretty underrated, mainly because most readers don't like the bad prose and the occasional facepalming descriptions despite the fact it clearly has a very engaging plot and well defined characters.

Alas I digress. But when we talk about writing, LN writers' writing are usually considered as subpar for one reason or another. And it's hard to compare to others when we don't know what 'others' you are referring to.
Old 2012-08-28, 04:08   Link #1102
kfcpanda

ah, that's quite a nice explanation lare, i appreciate it thanks.

"others" as in series in the same genre of seinen fantasyish with specks of romance on the horizon

take seirei tsukai no blade dance/high school dxd/campione/kikou shoujo/ZnT/sword art online/accel world for other examples of the LN grouping (in my head at least)
Old 2012-08-28, 09:36   Link #1103
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

So, it's Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu, isn't it?

The Legend of the Legendary Hero/es?

I thought it was a Korean novel, and I don't like too much the old Korean stuff since the most always end with the worst possible ending.
Even now, there are a lot of doramas and some stuff that start well, but at the end, the plot gets screwed up

I will give it a read.

And yeah, Light Novels, in general, are not recognized as literature by a large group of writers.
I, for one of the fans of Monogatari series, am against that. It's true that there are a lot of LN that don't deserve to be neither in the top 20, nor the top 50 or 100. But there are some amusing titles, like Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria, and this one with the complexity of its structure and descriptions.
Zaregoto, Monogatari, and so on.

Edit:

魔法科高校の劣等生(7) 横浜騒乱編<下> (Amazon)

Spoiler for New cover:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/...6/zgames01-22/

Last edited by Syokool; 2012-08-31 at 09:17. Reason: New cover
Old 2012-09-03, 14:00   Link #1104
blackwhite67
Banned

Hey, I'm trying to convince a friend of mine to follow this series, but he's not much of a reader novel-wise. Anyone got any juicy/appealing pics or pieces of plot I should let him in on? I'm sending him an email.

Btw, do Tatsuya's squad members know about all his emotions besides sisterly love being erased? How fast is his healing ability exactly? I think I saw a mention of 0.2 seconds when he was healing others.
Old 2012-09-03, 14:09   Link #1105
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

This is something I posted in a Spa. forum:

Covers
Spoiler:

Volume 1
Spoiler:

Volume 2
Spoiler:

Volume 3
Spoiler:

Volume 4
Spoiler:

Volume 5
Spoiler:

Accel World (anime)
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And now I do notice I have one volume more to update ;(

Last edited by Syokool; 2012-09-03 at 14:12. Reason: More...
Old 2012-09-03, 14:23   Link #1106
Mentar
Banned

Good lord, did YOU extract all that? O_o

Kudos for the mad work. Speaking about mad work, by the way... Yuutousei 4 wa doko da? ^_^
Old 2012-09-03, 16:22   Link #1107
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Good lord, did YOU extract all that? O_o

Kudos for the mad work. Speaking about mad work, by the way... Yuutousei 4 wa doko da? ^_^
The manga thread would be a better place

@Syokool
I have seen the cover for Vol.6 somewhere, do you have the pics for Vol.6? Or has it only been announced but not published yet?
Old 2012-09-03, 17:36   Link #1108
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

I already have those pics ready to be posted, but I always forget to do that. Volume 7 will come out soon (see the cover in one of the posts above).
Old 2012-09-03, 18:03   Link #1109
blackwhite67
Banned

@Syokool you only have the covers of 1-5, not 7
Old 2012-09-03, 19:01   Link #1110
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

魔法科高校の劣等生(7) 横浜騒乱編<下> (Amazon)

Spoiler for New cover:
Old 2012-09-03, 20:52   Link #1111
1urk3r

hmm can i safely assume that is the armor/helm from the web arc?
Makes me think of something yakumo would wear.....
Old 2012-09-04, 20:36   Link #1112
peinmaximus@

hey,guys in this LN whom(what girls)is in love with MC?
Old 2012-09-05, 10:34   Link #1113
EnigmaticAxiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peinmaximus@ View Post
hey,guys in this LN whom(what girls)is in love with MC?
Spoiler for PEINNNN!!!!!!!(is):
Old 2012-09-08, 01:07   Link #1114
waffler

Does anyone know what the new volumes about?
Old 2012-09-08, 06:11   Link #1115
Awrya
U mad?

Should be Yokohama wars I think, based on the cover.
Old 2012-09-08, 09:06   Link #1116
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

横浜騒乱編: Yokohama's disturbances arc.
Old 2012-09-09, 20:00   Link #1117
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
http://subcultureblog.blog114.fc2.co...ntry-8739.html

I'm using google translator to see what this says but it appears to be a audio drama on DVD?
Old 2012-09-09, 20:42   Link #1118
larethian

^ it could mean that it's going to be a long audio drama
And woah, Nakamura Yuuichi does fit Tatsuya yay! Hayami Saori ? Didn't really expect her, but then again I don't know who to expect and she does seem like a good choice. I've been missing her voice in major roles for a long time. Sounds like I'll be getting it
Old 2012-09-09, 20:55   Link #1119
blackwhite67
Banned

I've always thought of Tatsuya as Ryo Katsuji, the guy who played the main character in un-go. The main character from un-go looked a lot like Tatsuya. Hayami Saori as Miyuki? Hm. I was hoping for something a little more high pitched.

Btw, can anyone tell me what Gaiden: Mahouka Koukou no Shounen Shoujo is about?
Old 2012-09-09, 21:04   Link #1120
Mura
Now or Never

Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura
Whenever I think of Nakamura I think of his role as Houtarou. I can see it well when I think of Tatsuya.

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings