AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-09, 23:26   Link #121
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
ahHh!!!! i wanna learn japanese!!!!
i now know korean, english, and school spanish.
i am learning chinese character by myself and I wanna Learn japanese!!!
<= like these guys here
Old 2004-10-09, 23:48   Link #122
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
Oh!! I'm so happy that your translating, Goshujin-sama!!
Since, Y-Anime is usually sooo slow. >_>; I would.. but..
My japanese isn't good enough. not reading-wise.
But I thought I was your master!! >_<

Midori is quite similar to me...I was born in Taiwan but moved back and forth between there and the US. But my parents wanted me to be proficient with both Chinese and English, so I'm fairly good at all aspects of both languages.
Old 2004-10-09, 23:48   Link #123
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Ahh then I guess that explains why you write such good English.

sOnJoOL, if you really want to learn that bad I could point you to a few useful books if you'd like. Learning Japanese is a lot easier than it appears at first. The only difficult part (in my opinion) is all the Kanji, but since you know Chinese that shouldn't be a problem for you at all.

Edit

Yeah by the way sarcastaek, I think we need to switch our avatar names. I'M the good master and YOU should be the bitch!
Old 2004-10-10, 00:24   Link #124
sOnJoOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots
Yeah by the way sarcastaek, I think we need to switch our avatar names. I'M the good master and YOU should be the bitch!
lol, o and which books are good for beginner japanese? please tell me ^^
Old 2004-10-10, 00:30   Link #125
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Oh hell no, Midori's my sexy slave...I'm not giving her up without a fight!

Old 2004-10-10, 00:39   Link #126
sOnJoOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak

this is going
Old 2004-10-10, 01:04   Link #127
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcasteak
Ungrateful bastard! I gave you a gmail account didn't I? There's no room for a third-party in a master-slave relationship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
lol, o and which books are good for beginner japanese? please tell me ^^
Alright, for a true beginner I recommend "Nakama 1" by Hatasa. This is the book that was used in my first two Japanese classes and I think it is excellent (I still have it in fact). You don't even need to take a class to learn Japanese well if you have this book. The book will pretty much lay out everything for you in an easy-to-understand and organized manner. There is also an exercise workbook that you can purchase seperately if you are so inclined.

After that, I naturally recommend "Nakama 2" by Hatasa. This was my second year textbook and it is written in the same style but has a lot more material per chapter. Its moderatly more challenging than Nakama 1.

For reference texts, I recommend "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" by Makino and Tsutsui. Like the title says, it is a dictionary and you probably don't want to try learning Japanese from it. However, this is an excellent reference of Japanese grammar and includes all the subtilties and usages of the language. There is also "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" by the same authors which I equally recommend (once you are ready for it).

For my Kanji reference, I think "Kanji & Kana: A Handbook of the Japanese Writing System" is an excellent text. It is such an excellent book, I recommend it even though you already know Chinese kanji. It presents the hiragana and katakana writing systems, 1,945 Jouyou kanji and 284 Jinmei-you kanji. The Jouyou Kanji are the most frequently used Kanji by the Japanese, commonly seen in newspapers and such. If you know these kanji, you will be able to identify 99% of the Kanji you encounter in everyday life. The Jinmei-you kanji are used in names and such. This book also has two workbooks sold seperately that provide you templates for practicing writing the kanji.

Finally, I use a bilingual dictionary by Seigo Nakao (published by Random House). I like it because it contains both romanized and kana versions of the Japanese words.

So there you have it, my entire 6-book arsenal. Hope that helps.
Old 2004-10-10, 01:26   Link #128
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Ungrateful bastard! I gave you a gmail account didn't I?
You never mentioned anything about trading off Midori!

Quote:
There's no room for a third-party in a master-slave relationship.
...or is there?
Old 2004-10-10, 01:30   Link #129
sOnJoOL

Quote:
Ungrateful bastard! I gave you a gmail account didn't I? There's no room for a third-party in a master-slave relationship.

Alright, for a true beginner I recommend "Nakama 1" by Hatasa. This is the book that was used in my first two Japanese classes and I think it is excellent (I still have it in fact). You don't even need to take a class to learn Japanese well if you have this book. The book will pretty much lay out everything for you in an easy-to-understand and organized manner. There is also an exercise workbook that you can purchase seperately if you are so inclined.

After that, I naturally recommend "Nakama 2" by Hatasa. This was my second year textbook and it is written in the same style but has a lot more material per chapter. Its moderatly more challenging than Nakama 1.

For reference texts, I recommend "A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar" by Makino and Tsutsui. Like the title says, it is a dictionary and you probably don't want to try learning Japanese from it. However, this is an excellent reference of Japanese grammar and includes all the subtilties and usages of the language. There is also "A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar" by the same authors which I equally recommend (once you are ready for it).

For my Kanji reference, I think "Kanji & Kana: A Handbook of the Japanese Writing System" is an excellent text. It is such an excellent book, I recommend it even though you already know Chinese kanji. It presents the hiragana and katakana writing systems, 1,945 Jouyou kanji and 284 Jinmei-you kanji. The Jouyou Kanji are the most frequently used Kanji by the Japanese, commonly seen in newspapers and such. If you know these kanji, you will be able to identify 99% of the Kanji you encounter in everyday life. The Jinmei-you kanji are used in names and such. This book also has two workbooks sold seperately that provide you templates for practicing writing the kanji.

Finally, I use a bilingual dictionary by Seigo Nakao (published by Random House). I like it because it contains both romanized and kana versions of the Japanese words.

So there you have it, my entire 6-book arsenal. Hope that helps.
where will i be able to obtain these?
B&N?
Old 2004-10-10, 01:39   Link #130
Thelastguardian

Are you guys sure that the mangaka is a female? I think he actually said he is a man inside the comic book.
Old 2004-10-10, 04:01   Link #131
sarcasteak
WAHA~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
Are you guys sure that the mangaka is a female? I think he actually said he is a man inside the comic book.
I was under the impression that he's male...
Old 2004-10-10, 04:59   Link #132
huh

so it ia he or a she
Old 2004-10-10, 05:00   Link #133
huh

so it a he or a she
Old 2004-10-10, 13:44   Link #134
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
It's a girl~! I believe she is beautiful, that's why she is able to think of such beautiful girls!!

Midori is confused, but she'll listen to both of you for the time being!
Since, I like you both. hehe~! It's okay, right? ☆☆ ^o^;
Old 2004-10-10, 14:38   Link #135
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian
It's a woman. Her name is Mizuki Kawashita, the mangaka who did Lillim's Kiss (which btw threw me off so much, b/c the main girl looks like Aya but acts nothing like her lol).

As for the origin bandwagon, I'll throw my own two cents in. I'm Korean but born in the States. Same situation w/ parents, so I speak/ read/ write fluent Korean (hangul-hakkyo does wonders, lol ) . I've also taken Spanish for many years and am studying Japanese on the side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonjool
where will i be able to obtain these?
B&N?
I got them at my school bookstore, which is a B&N, tho it may just be b/c of my school.
For me, a good book for learning conversational Japanese (not in hiragana/ katagana/ kanji) is Japanese: The Spoken Language (Eleanor Harz Jorden and Mari Noda). At least, it's helped me with basic understanding . You'll need supplementary books for writing, tho (gomen).
Old 2004-10-11, 09:09   Link #136
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by sOnJoOL
Spoiler:
I just read it the Chinese translation and the situation was very hilarious - though a tad cliche. I mean, almost every similar manga and anime I have watch have this kind of onsen scene.

Though honestly, the mangaka is going to give Satsuki some airtime now? And please, make her stop throwing herself at Manaka...
Old 2004-10-11, 12:07   Link #137
The_Kief'

I always thought that Kawashita was a man to write this type of history . Like what.
Old 2004-10-11, 17:49   Link #138
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
I like Satsuki, and even do not mind that she's forward.. but I hate how she's two-faced.
She's nice to the other girls face, and then tries to ruin their relationship with Manaka from behind.
Aya and Tsukasa, although secretly may hate eachother, still treat eachother kindly.

Oh, and unless this is a fake, it seems they did fix Tsukasa's hair.

Last edited by MidoriShinobi; 2004-10-11 at 18:10.
Old 2004-10-11, 18:23   Link #139
andr3y

Unhappy aya

i really would like to see him pay more attention to Aya!!!
it seems like time is flying like crazy and when those two finaly get somewhere he just desapears and has to start again
what a guy!!!
Old 2004-10-11, 19:23   Link #140
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
I like Satsuki, and even do not mind that she's forward.. but I hate how she's two-faced.
She's nice to the other girls face, and then tries to ruin their relationship with Manaka from behind.
Aya and Tsukasa, although secretly may hate eachother, still treat eachother kindly.

Oh, and unless this is a fake, it seems they did fix Tsukasa's hair.

I don't think Satsuki is two-faced. She doesn't hate the girls and so she doesn't treat them that way. She just wants Manaka for herself and she's willing to play a little dirty to get him. That's all. I like Satsuki. If I was Manaka I think I would pick her, then Tsukasa, and last Aya. It used to be easy for me to say I would pick Satsuki over the other two, but Tsukasa has somehow amplifed her cuteness, which was already off the charts. She's so adorable and friendly and loveable and...ARGH! But Satsuki is so easy to get a long with, and you never have to be worried when your with her. I love seeing that quality in a woman. Damn, how can the mangaka suck me into thinking about such things?

I ordered Volumes 9-12 yesterday. Two of them are out of stock and I won't receive my books for at least two weeks.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, perverted, romance, shounen