AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2006-03-18, 20:12   Link #61
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj
Well, the French are the exception to the rule. They're fiercely opposed to any sort of Anglicising of their culture. I'm reasonably sure that other European countries are not nearly so fanatical about it
Actually, most western and central European countries have have the same problem. Absolutely everything is dubbed and translated in those countries so the people are very poor at English. It's very obvious that it is much harder to learn a language if you aren't constantly exposed to it. They probably can't even read fast enough for subtitles since they aren't used to reading subtitles in TV and cinema.

I'd like to say that it's their problem if they're too uneducated to play the English versions, but sadly that's not how it works. You lose sales if only half of the population can understand your product and that is why northern Europe always has to wait for French, German, Spanish and Italian localizations even if we would be perfectly fine with the US versions. Yes, I'm bitter.

But that still doesn't explain why anything Japanese is such a taboo in Europe. Hell, even shuriken (throwing stars) are banned in Europe.

Instead of giving us the US version of Disgaea they actually had to remove the optional Japanese audio from it. It doesn't make sense!

And then we have Ninja Gaiden and some other ninja games before it where shuriken have been replaced by throwing knives. How the hell are they any better? Who makes these retarded decisions anyway?
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 00:25   Link #62
ImperialPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archuka
Instead of giving us the US version of Disgaea they actually had to remove the optional Japanese audio from it. It doesn't make sense!
But this forum is a perfect example of how japanese is corrupting the youths of today!

I think Japanese dub is more of an anime thing. So most gamers don't really care either way and just let things slide (aka let the policy makers do whatever).
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 00:57   Link #63
Asuka Shinn
Leng Jai

Though I'm hearing/reading a lot of good shit about this game, I have no hype for this game what-so-ever.
Asuka Shinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 05:13   Link #64
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda
I think Japanese dub is more of an anime thing. So most gamers don't really care either way and just let things slide (aka let the policy makers do whatever).
This would be fine if the majority of game dubs didn't suck nuts. However, Square-Enix is perfectly capable of making a decent dub, as has been shown by Dragon Quest 8 (well okay, I guess it's not exactly a "dub" because the Japanese version didn't have voice at all, but you know what I mean). If they could do something like that for FFXII that'd be great.
Danj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 11:27   Link #65
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danj
This would be fine if the majority of game dubs didn't suck nuts. However, Square-Enix is perfectly capable of making a decent dub, as has been shown by Dragon Quest 8 (well okay, I guess it's not exactly a "dub" because the Japanese version didn't have voice at all, but you know what I mean). If they could do something like that for FFXII that'd be great.
If they were to use the same people that worked on DQ8 for FFXII; Vaan could end up speaking like Yangus.

'Cor Blimey'
Old 2006-03-19, 14:38   Link #66
Danj
Tech Bloke

Send a message via ICQ to Danj Send a message via AIM to Danj Send a message via MSN to Danj Send a message via Yahoo to Danj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E.
If they were to use the same people that worked on DQ8 for FFXII; Vaan could end up speaking like Yangus.

'Cor Blimey'
I'd love for them to use British accents for FFXII's dub, but I don't think Yangus' dialect would really fit the circumstances
Old 2006-03-20, 20:45   Link #67
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Saw the trailer for FFXII over the weekend. Looks pretty good. very intresting start to the. First time any has start with a funural.
Old 2006-03-20, 23:08   Link #68
SlugZilla
woofles

This game is worthy of the hype. I'm about 15hrs into it but its damn hard to put down, and the graphics are best I've seen in an RPG. I think this is what all MMORPG fans have been waiting for, cause it has the gameplay to go with an actual story. If it weren't for papers and exams I'd be playing this all day...
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 07:01   Link #69
deathbygirl

Oh dear, I hope Square-Enix doesn't bother to dub this RPG with British accents. No offense to the English, but their voices don't fit the circumstances. I think the FFX dub was rather okay, but the best dubbing work of Square has to be Kingdom Hearts (and its subsequent sequel), largely due to the affiliation with Disney. What they should consider doing is taking a page out of NipponIchi's book and providing dual audio tracks. That would honestly be the icing on the cake, personally. NipponIchi's dubbing is rather strong, as well.

I'm glad this game's doing so well. It's nice to see the Final Fantasy franchise rise from the four year hiatus, and even better to see the product live up to the hype (especially in this day and age of overhype and underdeliver - and yes, I'm looking in your direction, Grandia III and Radiata Stories).
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 23:24   Link #70
Zhemos

Am I the only one turned off by the fact that the main character in FF12 looks like a girl? I mean really look at him! http://www.ffshrine.org/ffxii/wallpapers/14.jpg

Why couldn't they have just made him an actual girl instead of a girly man?
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-21, 23:27   Link #71
ImperialPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos
Am I the only one turned off by the fact that the main character in FF12 looks like a girl? I mean really look at him! http://www.ffshrine.org/ffxii/wallpapers/14.jpg

Um... that's pretty much your average anime male.
Old 2006-03-22, 00:13   Link #72
Zhemos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda
Um... that's pretty much your average anime male.
Lets take a look at the average anime male.

http://www.absoluteanime.com/bleach/ichigo.jpg
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394687
http://tenkai.hen.free.fr/animes/ful...ward-elric.jpg
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394690
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394695

Lets now take a look at our hero. http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394701
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394706

And just for reference lets take a look at one of his female companions!
http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=394703

People at sqaure like Michael Jackson maybe?

Girly man. /rant off
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 00:43   Link #73
ImperialPanda

Perhaps you can describe what facial features differentiates an anime male from an anime female? Because those examples you provided are virtually the same as Vaan in ff12.
Old 2006-03-22, 02:23   Link #74
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

LOL Zhemos. Square has been into "Metrosexual" males for quite some time already. Although I have to agree that FFXII lead DOES look like a girl this time around, instead of bishie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbygirl
What they should consider doing is taking a page out of NipponIchi's book and providing dual audio tracks. That would honestly be the icing on the cake, personally.
I share the same sentiment; and I hope that not only Square follows with NIS, but other ports as well (maybe except DMC, RE, and MGS series. David Hayter(?) does Snake perfectly.). I thought FFX dub was okay, then I heard the JP voices lol. IMO, it doesn't feel right when you're looking at Jap style art/animation/CG and not hear Jap voices.
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 05:03   Link #75
loadstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos

i hope it doesn't go down like that or they'll bomb this awesome looking game just for making male characters like gay or female with man boobs.
loadstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 08:48   Link #76
SlugZilla
woofles

He doesn't look girly in all of the cutscenes in the game.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-22, 19:56   Link #77
Zappster

Quote:
What they should consider doing is taking a page out of NipponIchi's book and providing dual audio tracks. That would honestly be the icing on the cake, personally. NipponIchi's dubbing is rather strong, as well.
I second that. I'd love it, if more companies did this with some of these japanese RPGs. I personally don't have a problem with english dubbing in most games as it is(heck I played through Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana with the english dub) but it's always nice to have the choice.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-23, 12:33   Link #78
Danj
Tech Bloke

Quote:
Oh dear, I hope Square-Enix doesn't bother to dub this RPG with British accents. No offense to the English, but their voices don't fit the circumstances.
I think that depends on what particular British accent you're thinking of. Obviously some of the regional dialects are not suitable, but I think it could be good with BBC English and Scottish accents.

Quote:
What they should consider doing is taking a page out of NipponIchi's book and providing dual audio tracks.
Yes, that would be the ideal situation. I hear the DVD is only about 3.8 gigs, so they could theoretically add English voices and still fit it on a DVD-9.

Quote:
I'm glad this game's doing so well. It's nice to see the Final Fantasy franchise rise from the four year hiatus, and even better to see the product live up to the hype (especially in this day and age of overhype and underdeliver - and yes, I'm looking in your direction, Grandia III and Radiata Stories).
I'm happy that the general impressions seem to be positive, but I'll reserve judgement until I actually get to play it for myself.
Old 2006-03-31, 15:08   Link #79
Crusaders
DoMz Member/Asa lover

Send a message via MSN to Crusaders
well...I just hope it wont be they last game for PS 2
Crusaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-31, 19:49   Link #80
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders
well...I just hope it wont be they last game for PS 2
I do.

The PS2 is already so very outdated. I'd have preferred FFXII on the Xbox, but unfrotunately SE is loyal to Sony so I'll have to settle for inferior graphics.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote