AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 01:09   Link #2281
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Oi, your physical age shouldn't matter. Now, where is Vexx when you need a case study example?

Natch.
I'm over thirty, and I have no problem reading stuff like this. Good fiction is good fiction, and frankly most of the more adult-geared fiction is so busy trying to be "dark and edgy", and have everyone screw everyone else with no rhyme or reason, so that it appears adult, that it couldn't be good if it tried. Authors who favor style over substance usually lack in both.

Hell, I just discovered the Artemis Fowl books recently (after finding out that the author, Eoin Colfer, will be concluding the HHGttG series with the blessing of the Adams estate) and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. The ham-handed envirobabble is a bit grating, but the writing and characterization (and especially tone) are excellent enough to limit my protests to the occasional eyeroll. I had to find the kids section of my local Borders just to get those books, something I didn't even have to do for the inferior Potter books...

My only age-related issue concerning future Haruhi novels is whether I'll still be alive long enough to read them...
Old 2009-07-02, 01:40   Link #2282
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
My only age-related issue concerning future Haruhi novels is whether I'll still be alive long enough to read them...
Time travel
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 07:04   Link #2283
typhonsentra

The other concern is forgetting the story. I only have a rough recollection about what went on in Volume 9 now. Worst of all it's so easy to mix up the two alternate paths.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 08:45   Link #2284
Jintor

I'm actively trying to forget knowledge I already posess so I can enjoy the anime more. :3
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 12:46   Link #2285
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
The other concern is forgetting the story. I only have a rough recollection about what went on in Volume 9 now. Worst of all it's so easy to mix up the two alternate paths.
Well, it's not like B-T will have 10 translated the day it's released. There will still be plenty of time to reread 9 after the release of 10, much less after the explosion of data following 10's announcement...
Old 2009-07-02, 15:55   Link #2286
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Marangio View Post
The magazine has an add-on (84 pages) with a collection of articles that apeared in "the Sneaker", a timeline and some new informations about the new anime series. No new content from Nagaru Tanigawa.
"New anime series"? Don't you mean "Endless Eight"?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 16:39   Link #2287
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Even Endless Eight will one day end.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:26   Link #2288
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
I'm over thirty, and I have no problem reading stuff like this. Good fiction is good fiction, and frankly most of the more adult-geared fiction is so busy trying to be "dark and edgy", and have everyone screw everyone else with no rhyme or reason, so that it appears adult, that it couldn't be good if it tried. Authors who favor style over substance usually lack in both.

Hell, I just discovered the Artemis Fowl books recently (after finding out that the author, Eoin Colfer, will be concluding the HHGttG series with the blessing of the Adams estate) and I'm enjoying the hell out of them. The ham-handed envirobabble is a bit grating, but the writing and characterization (and especially tone) are excellent enough to limit my protests to the occasional eyeroll. I had to find the kids section of my local Borders just to get those books, something I didn't even have to do for the inferior Potter books...

You could be trapped reading "Freefall" or "Megatokyo" ... stories where mere hours in the story can take months and years of 'real time'.

And yes, you hit the false "adult meme" squarely on the head.
Old 2009-07-02, 23:24   Link #2289
SuperLAActor101

Quote:
Originally Posted by azziz View Post
it's easy to say when you're 16 or 18 but i was 25 year old when i discovered this series(thank to B-T)and i'm know 28;in two years i might no be able to enjoy those novel as much i used to;Time is merciless you see...
Trust me age is nothing but an number my friend it's the truth like I said before patience is the key you never know new material may or not be released this year but you got to stay positive no matter what I guess.

One final note before I go, I know a lot of people have a problem with it but read fanfiction or come up with a idea yourself that's what me and several others have done it brings out the creativity in you trust me nuff said.
And one more thing check out the WMG section on Haruhi Suzumiya.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...?from=Main.WMG
SuperLAActor101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-06, 14:58   Link #2290
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaevuous View Post
June 1st, 2007.
Seeing as how this series has been having symbolism up the bum recently, I am willing to bet that Novel 10 will be released on that date of 2010 (or 2011, since the '3 years ago' got upgraded to 4)
Old 2009-07-06, 15:32   Link #2291
typhonsentra

Yeah, that's the ticket!
Old 2009-07-08, 11:09   Link #2292
jonli
JONLIの憂'

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Some have said that the author came up with this series, based sort of on how he met his wife, Maybe he's not Kyon as many think, maybe he is infact Taniguchi, and his wife is Tsuruya.
That actually reminds me of this english language animation that I saw in class. I forgot the name but its about "how my parents met", and it tells this elaborate love story about two people. Which is like out of the world style story, then they get married and the wife introduces her hair stylist to some random boy that her husband met, and then those two fell in love and they became "the parents". They don;t appear until like the last 5 seconds of the film.

It's really brilliant and heart warming, and I wouldn't mind if Suzumiya can pull this off. Unfortunately I'm more inclined to find out about the future of Kyon and Haruhi than I am to find out about Taniguchi.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-08, 16:18   Link #2293
typhonsentra

Someone needs to figure out the name of this story.
Old 2009-07-14, 00:46   Link #2294
resoLv777
watch?v=HY0PtgOwt6g

Really sorry to derail this thread here, but I am desperately in search of new material to read.
So far, I've purchased and read the first Light Novel that was published by Little Brown, and I've read Chapters 1-14 through Scantalations...
Is there any way I can get a hold of more material (noob here).
resoLv777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 01:28   Link #2295
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Your other option is to read the entire Genderbent thread....that will take a considerable amount of time since it currently has more posts than Endless Eight has loops.
Old 2009-07-14, 01:32   Link #2296
resoLv777
watch?v=HY0PtgOwt6g

Just to be clear, none of the Chapters after 14 hve been scantalated right?
resoLv777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 02:24   Link #2297
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by resoLv777 View Post
Just to be clear, none of the Chapters after 14 hve been scantalated right?
I assume you mean the manga, which you really need to be clear about, since most Haruhi fans are primarily fans of the novel series, with the anime being secondary and finally the manga and games. When I first read "Chapter 14" my first thought was "But none of the novels have 14 chapters..."

To answer your question, I don't particularly know, but that's as far as I've seen. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as that chapter 14 has been scanlated for over a year, with nothing since, and the next official manga translation (all of which have been done well so far) will start with chapter 15.

As good as the manga are, though, they pale in comparison to the original novels. That's what you ought to concentrate on.
Old 2009-07-14, 13:03   Link #2298
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

As to the manga, Yen Press licensed it and have released volumes 1-3 with volume 4 to be released this Halloween.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-14, 22:58   Link #2299
Solachinx
is a myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
As to the manga, Yen Press licensed it and have released volumes 1-3 with volume 4 to be released this Halloween.
Have they licsensed 5+ yet?
Old 2009-07-15, 00:04   Link #2300
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

As far as I can tell, they haven't. But, I'm sure we'll hear something by the time volume 4 comes out.
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga