AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 131 64.53%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 41 20.20%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 10.34%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.46%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 1.48%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.49%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-29, 10:31   Link #101
skyy54264

Not sure what that guy who stole water was thinking. You're in a tunnel. Both ends collapsed and seal off. Where are you going to run to... ?
Old 2010-05-29, 10:33   Link #102
Jin Kizuite
Guns Galore!

Send a message via MSN to Jin Kizuite
IT HAS BEGUN. Two people disappearing per episode? Please just do a second season. *Prays*

Credit @ fallschirmjager
Old 2010-05-29, 11:00   Link #103
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta
It's bad enough listening to the characters talk about their cheap tragedies of the past once an episode
I'm curious, what qualifies in your eyes as a non cheap tragedy?
Old 2010-05-29, 11:14   Link #104
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Holy crap. This episode was just absolutely outstanding. The best yet.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:37   Link #105
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I'm curious, what qualifies in your eyes as a non cheap tragedy?
If I had to guess, one that happens as the show goes on rather than a flashback. Though really, none of these have been cheap tragedies except MAYBE Hinata's, but even that one's pretty rough.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:38   Link #106
Proto

Quote:
If I had to guess, one that happens as the show goes on rather than a flashback.
That goes against the very premise of the show though :S
Old 2010-05-29, 11:41   Link #107
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyy54264 View Post
Not sure what that guy who stole water was thinking. You're in a tunnel. Both ends collapsed and seal off. Where are you going to run to... ?
Same thing goes for the people that started chasing him..
Old 2010-05-29, 11:43   Link #108
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That goes against the very premise of the show though :S
Of course, but people are always going to find something to complain about. This is the internet, after all. We still have random people comparing Yuri to Haruhi.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:46   Link #109
seiji_kun

Like always, Key knows how to move me. They expanded on Otonashi's backstory in such a marvelous way. Such admirable behavior which made his dieing so touching. The man truly always got the short end of the stick. Made me feel so sad for him.

Bye far the best episode so far for me. Though like someone else said, the only thing that this episode was missing was him hugging Kanade when she woke up. Though them using each others first names which shows how connected they feel to each other is a good consolation price I guess.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:49   Link #110
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
They probably just wanted to slap him a bit.
Old 2010-05-29, 11:50   Link #111
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
They had a valid worry there though: he coulld have started gulping down all the water
Old 2010-05-29, 12:14   Link #112
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

The episodes keep getting better and better. So, Otonashi's regret was not being able to save anyone despite him trying so hard. He was a hero til the end, inspiring everyone to make the most out of their bodies if death inevitably comes, yet in his mind/memory, he still failed his goal (he was already dead by the time rescue arrived, so he couldn't have known that the others survived).

Something bugs me though. There is a clear change of character for Kanade upon waking up. For example, she's pretty lenient on revealing information now, and she even emphasizes that she triumphed over the other personalities. Is this a result of her gaining Otonashi's trust? Or is this a result of the chaos caused by her internal personality battle?

Either way, with Kanade pretty much admitting that she's consciously trying to make the dead pass on, my theory just got a little boost:
Spoiler for speculation:

The only problem now is that Otonashi's plan is bound to fail. Not only because he will not be able to make Yuri pass on due to the nature of her regret (every core SSS member that disappears will only serve to amplify her apparent regret), but because if the SSS finds out that he betrayed them, it is almost guaranteed that they will not take it lightly -- and this is especially true for the likes of Noda and Fujimaki (whose voices, I think, can be heard in the preview).

Also, there are lots of ways the plot can go, so it's pretty much impossible to accurately predict what's gonna happen next. Yuri's thinking face at the end looks more ominous than usual, Christ got access to Angel Player (and apparently blocked Kanade's access to her Guard Skills), the SSS is suspicious on how the test swap operation got busted (not to mention they suspect that the DarkTenshi personality had won), Chaa hasn't appeared again ever since Ep02, and Sekine and Irie still haven't had any real lines so far. With only 4 episodes left, I am expecting several huge plot twists coming up.
Old 2010-05-29, 12:23   Link #113
sylviana
Aikawa Kizuna is PRETTY !

my opinion....it's the first time i cried when i watched Angel Beats!

Spoiler:

so far...

Otonashi will be eternal heroes !!!

i''ll give perfect rate for this episode....

wait...next episode is Yui? i hope she has interesting past ( tragic or not )....
Old 2010-05-29, 13:01   Link #114
kitten320

After long time thinking I have finally decided to watch the series, well... I'm not dissapointed one bit. I expacted something far worse and am positively suprised, so will be waiting for the rest.

About this episode, Otonashi sure had it rough there... to die right before he got saved, so not fair! But at least he had fullifield his dream.
The guy who stole the bottles was an idiot, but then again when you are in hopeless situation a lot of people stop thinking and do ridiculouse things. I guess that guy got way too thirsty and was hoping to drink it all.

Those who are complaining about flashbacks are idiots, because that's basicly the main idea of the show. To help them move on and you can't do that without knowing what happened. I actually would be lost if someone had just dissapeared for not understandable reason. I'm looking forward to each flashback. And yes, some of they might seem lame but hey! Put yourself in their shoes! You might not understand those dreams because of different life, goals and thinking way. After all there are those who love do sports and those who hate sports but love art, everyone are different and think differently. So don't call those dreams cheap!

About pairings, I kinda like Otoshi/Kanade idea more simply because it is more original than having too positive main characters hook up together like usually. Besides poor Tenshi needs more love, she was a lonely soul for god knows how long.
But I'm sure that some sweet Yuri/Otoshoi moments are coming as well so this pairing fans also will be satisfied at some point, so don't lose hope.

Though I'm really curiouse as to what will happen to Satoshi when everything is over, will he be gone and Kanade will stay? If so she kinda will be the most tragic character there even though Yuri's and Otoshi's pasts also were tragic and scary.

Wonder how anime team will handle it, there are too many members in order to make them all pass on in such short time... I guess there will be some twist... having more than one character pass on in one episode will feel rushed.
Old 2010-05-29, 13:08   Link #115
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

My predicition:

Spoiler for what a twist!:
Old 2010-05-29, 13:11   Link #116
Jarmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoguht View Post
Anyway, as for the crash and the rescue, it's clear it was an earthquake caused it. In episode 7, you could see the initial tremor affecting the train before the main shock hit. Tunnels (well, most structures) in Japan are built to withstand earthquakes, so this must have been a very severe one. Which means that rescue services would be hard pressed to deal with it, and would have to prioritize. Do we rescue the people that we know are still alive in the collapsed buildings around us, or do we throw everything into digging out a train that was probably completely crushed anyway? It's not a difficult decision to make.
It's possible as that would make the most sense however we don't see any after-tremors if it was that serious. It could be a regular cave-in but the response team would just be ridiculously lazy then. Also the tunnel can't be that far underground but again I guess this is all minor details.

What I'm amazed about is that it took seven days for him to bleed out from an internal wound.

I'm also somewhat curious if you can remove an angel's power by changing a password on their computer then could God be Skynet?
Old 2010-05-29, 13:18   Link #117
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Really? To me organ donating is on the same level as not littering, ie something you should be doing anyway (hence my first though is: "wait, I'm supposed to be moved at this?"). I haven't meet anyone who didn't sign something so simple like agreeing to donate in their driver applications (IIRC from my NZ and Aus ones). It's a just a tiny tick box.

Looking at the scene a second time my thought was more along the lines of "whaa? you didn't sign when it came in the mail?"
I'm 30 and I don't have something like that signed. You just have a different outlook on such things as some others do. We're all different afterall.

It was an emotional scene for me, and I just knew that he would die as the rescuers would break through the tunnel. That's just how his luck has always been. At least he managed to save those lives. I'm sure they will be forever greatful for what he did for them.

I don't think he will disappear before Kanade. Just a feeling, but I don't believe he'd want to leave her alone in this world. He would want to save everyone. It's just in his nature.

Last edited by justinstrife; 2010-05-29 at 13:35.
Old 2010-05-29, 13:31   Link #118
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My predicition:

Exactly what I was thinking at the end of this episode. I think it would actually make a pretty good ending.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:23   Link #119
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Really? To me organ donating is on the same level as not littering, ie something you should be doing anyway (hence my first though is: "wait, I'm supposed to be moved at this?"). I haven't meet anyone who didn't sign something so simple like agreeing to donate in their driver applications (IIRC from my NZ and Aus ones). It's a just a tiny tick box.

Looking at the scene a second time my thought was more along the lines of "whaa? you didn't sign when it came in the mail?"
That's the difference between you and those people who got trapped. I myself haven't signed anything like that and never really bothered to look for such card. And you might call me a bastard but so far I have no wish to sign it, duno why but it kinda scares me... I want to keep my body the way it is, so yeh you can call me selfish.

So for me that moment was kinda powerful, who knows maybe I also will change my mind some day and will sign it.

The only complain I had is from where exactly they all got it? Was there some auction going on and cards were handed out to everyone at train station? It's like if the knew that tragedy would happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
My predicition:

Very possible, like if continuing to fullyfil his dream on saving others.
Old 2010-05-29, 14:28   Link #120
RPNS

It was a good episode Otonashi even thou he was a dead man walking was able to save alot of people...I do belive he would have been a great doctor or NGO worker
Closed Thread