AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2020-06-02, 17:53   Link #41
Tenzen12

And such endings as Touma dying or having open ending would be perfectly legit. But if there are perfectly legit endings then there are also terrible ones. That's not rocket science.

To be fair, you are also right that author having sudden lapse of judgement in aspect that isn't his main focus can't erase all relatively decent writing up to that point. Saying that was indeed my mistake (I got bit heated). One hypothetical terrible ending wouldn't make Kamachi hack.
Old 2020-06-02, 17:58   Link #42
devil_slayer

So you basically saying that Index chances are basically -200 if Othinus and Misaki are 0

To be honest Kamchi could make Touma a loner his whole life and I wouldn't at an eye for it. Shipping is the last thing that comes to mind when reading/watching Toaru

But you really need to re-read NT22R if you have such a biased view against Index.
devil_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 02:18   Link #43
itine
No Book No Live

Late Interview Kamachi x with the Creator/author of Oresuki (Rakuda)

Kamachi x Rakuda "shipping" interview (parts about Misaki+Ohinus)

Images
the part about Misaki+Ohinus
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Notes:
Next translation base on Chinese translation (not Japanese),
The full interview was here. and never fully translate (into English) cuz I know shipping was cancerous
This interview was on The Dengeki Bunko Magazine N°68 who release at the same date as NT22R (July 10, 2019, / last year)
Into my opinion was: Kamachi shoutout about Misaki parts in NT22R.

TL;DR…
some English translation on Misaki+Othinus parts
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-03, 03:29   Link #44
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_slayer View Post
This is assuming such an ending would even happen in the first place. Touma dying or having an open ending where he goes on with his life alongside Othinus and Index with no romance impliction is much more likely.
Touma dying to save the universe/world/phase had been done in OT, please don't repeat it Kamachi and if it will be repeated, stay dead TouMan and become a legend.

I see an ending with Touma with Index+Sphinx(a set) and Othinus.

I don't see any romantic connection between Touma and Index now. In OT, maybe but to me, when NT made Index seems not even important and her name being in the title of the story is just coincidence, romance end with her is impossible. BUT. I see Index as a family of Touma. As the first person that Touma see when he lost everything, and the only person he would always return too in the end of the day. There might be a bug/leech that would squeeze way in between them(biribiri or starry girl) but in the end, I see an ending with Index being tag along with Touma.

Othinus would make the perfect end girl but Kamachi butchered it with Fairy and the different phase experience that they both experienced was turn into forget/buried/uselesstimetolearnandexperiencebutletsjustassumeit sallturntonothingintheend.

Misaki... bless this girl was being bullied hard by kamachi.

While the girl that shows later on but first in the series has lots of screentime even though she just innitially zaps him.
Old 2020-06-03, 16:59   Link #45
Chosen_Hero

Index hasn't been important to the story since OT where she spent the majority of the time getting kidnapped. Literally every single plot point related to her has been stagnating in the background since the first volume until it was resolved matter of factly in some unrelated volume, for example, the second controller just got handwaived and destroyed during the Francisca/Lilith arc and Johns Penn mode being the only thing left to be dealt with was destroyed and it wasn't even the main issue of NT.22R.

Her position as Touma's magical information source basically disappeared as soon as Othinus joined, and as has been mentioned she all but disappeared during NT and the times where she was involved she was literally just being carried around by someone else. Heck, her grimories are barely even helping anymore, for a recent example, Touma, Accelerator and Aleister figured out the way the golden magicians secret at the same time that Index and Fran were figuring it out to help... What good is that information if they already have it and figured it out themselves? It's also not like they told other magicians so they could stand up to them or create a counter offensive, so what was the point?

Spoiler for NT.22R story details:

In my personal opinion (you are free to disagree with it, just respect it), as much as I would have liked to have seen her be a proper character (she had the potential at some point) Index as she currently is and has been since OT has overstayed her welcome in the story and serves no purpose other than being the token yamato nadeshiko (as in the girl that is always obediently waiting for you at home)/loli/pet of Touma's group (seriously, what is it with this series and giving the male characters lolis? At first it was a joke, but at this point it's getting creepy, the joke doesn't work when the story takes it seriously), I'm supposed to care about her when I am not give any reason to do so. While other characters have gotten character development she has gotten literally nothing (Misaki has had more character development already and she only entered the picture in NT, Othinus had the same amount of character development as Index and basically replaced her) and that's a shame, especially in this series.

As for Misaki, well, I will reserve my judgement for after GT.2 and whatever happens (I hope it isn't yet another thing to do with Touma's memories, we already went through this in NT.22R and the possiblity of having them return, if they do, that would be a giant cop out in Kamachi's part), but personally I am not happy at how both her and Hamazura basically got off scotch free from having helped the villains (not antagonists, outright villains) and how Kamachi just decided to keep the status quo and not give them some sort of punishment for their actions. We'll see how he rewards her in this next volume.

Well, that's all I will say on the matter, I am trying to stay away as to not be tempted by the eventual spoilers when they drop, it's definitely better to go into a volume not knowing anything.
Old 2020-06-03, 19:58   Link #46
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Index hasn't been important to the story since OT where she spent the majority of the time getting kidnapped. Literally every single plot point related to her has been stagnating in the background since the first volume until it was resolved matter of factly in some unrelated volume, for example, the second controller just got handwaived and destroyed during the Francisca/Lilith arc and Johns Penn mode being the only thing left to be dealt with was destroyed and it wasn't even the main issue of NT.22R.

Her position as Touma's magical information source basically disappeared as soon as Othinus joined, and as has been mentioned she all but disappeared during NT and the times where she was involved she was literally just being carried around by someone else. Heck, her grimories are barely even helping anymore, for a recent example, Touma, Accelerator and Aleister figured out the way the golden magicians secret at the same time that Index and Fran were figuring it out to help... What good is that information if they already have it and figured it out themselves? It's also not like they told other magicians so they could stand up to them or create a counter offensive, so what was the point?

In my personal opinion (you are free to disagree with it, just respect it), as much as I would have liked to have seen her be a proper character (she had the potential at some point) Index as she currently is and has been since OT has overstayed her welcome in the story and serves no purpose other than being the token yamato nadeshiko (as in the girl that is always obediently waiting for you at home)/loli/pet of Touma's group (seriously, what is it with this series and giving the male characters lolis? At first it was a joke, but at this point it's getting creepy, the joke doesn't work when the story takes it seriously), I'm supposed to care about her when I am not give any reason to do so. While other characters have gotten character development she has gotten literally nothing (Misaki has had more character development already and she only entered the picture in NT, Othinus had the same amount of character development as Index and basically replaced her) and that's a shame, especially in this series.
It is true that Index's importance as Touma's magical advisor was lessened a lot (it didn't completely disappear), but her role as Touma's sanctuary makes her just as important, only in a different way as even you yourself admitted. You might think it important, but Kamachi was clearly going for that.

Quote:
Spoiler for NT.22R story details:
Spoiler for NT22R spoilers:

Quote:
As for Misaki, well, I will reserve my judgement for after GT.2 and whatever happens (I hope it isn't yet another thing to do with Touma's memories, we already went through this in NT.22R and the possiblity of having them return, if they do, that would be a giant cop out in Kamachi's part), but personally I am not happy at how both her and Hamazura basically got off scotch free from having helped the villains (not antagonists, outright villains) and how Kamachi just decided to keep the status quo and not give them some sort of punishment for their actions. We'll see how he rewards her in this next volume.
This again, why are you so focused on Hamazura getting off scot free when literally everyone has in this series, including Touma and Mikoto.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-04, 02:55   Link #47
Tenzen12

Quote:
So you basically saying that Index chances are basically -200 if Othinus and Misaki are 0

To be honest Kamchi could make Touma a loner his whole life and I wouldn't at an eye for it. Shipping is the last thing that comes to mind when reading/watching Toaru

But you really need to re-read NT22R if you have such a biased view against Index.
Alright, to make sure I didn't miss anything I re-read NT22 on your recommendation and yeah, Index is not relevant this time either.
Old 2020-06-08, 07:16   Link #48
devil_slayer

@Endscape

Hamazua causes a lot of salt whatever he does.
Old 2020-06-08, 08:11   Link #49
Tenzen12

Well Touma helped leader of terroristic organisation and even provide shelter for her. Accelerator could have get away with mass murder too if he wanted. Shiage at least helped innocent person in process.

If anything it's his crime of having terrible taste in women that's unforgivable.
Old 2020-06-09, 04:24   Link #50
itine
No Book No Live

Toaru Majutsu no Index: Genesis Testament volume 2 Cover

Larger https://i.imgur.com/I4LMCb4.jpg
itine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 04:36   Link #51
devil_slayer

Mikoto will be on the 20 next volumes cover.

Too bad it's still can't make up for the massive drop in popularity.
Old 2020-06-09, 06:03   Link #52
WingedAccelerator

People should just accept that that franchise is old. Doing like 40k after 45+ volumes and 16 years is a miracle in my eyes when it comes to LNs. The loyal fans stayed, but new ones simply won't gonna catch up, especially after the subpar Index III and how Dengeki Bunko sat on the main series for so long. It doesn't help that Index is anything, but tightly-written when it comes to main plot points.

As for shipping, either their life just goes on as usual ending is the most likely, or Kamachi bows down to Mikoto's popularity and some sort of timeskip happens at the end, where she ends up with Touma. But for that to happen, Index must fuck off for real with Sphynx, and Othinus also needs to disappear.

Also, how come Kamachi thinks he is bad at romance, when he doesn't even really try, minus Hamazura and Takitsubo? If Seo thinks he is bad at romance after all this time, that has a basis. But Kamachi just keeps up the annoying harem hijinks with the protagonist, doesn't even want to advance anything on Touma's side. NT3 was probably the biggest bait for the Mikoto supporters, but ultimately nothing have happened. He should just say he doesn't want to write romance for Touma, only mindless shipping from the girls' side.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 06:20   Link #53
Tenzen12

Zashiki Warashi had excelent romance if you ask me. Hamazura x tracksuit girl is indeed terrible, but that still means he has still record of 50% excelent ships.

Either way if Touma x Mikoto happens, there is no reason to do anything with Index or Othinus nor is timeskip necessary. That said regardless whether Kamachi give Touma romantic conclusion or not GT should be final instalment to wrap everything up.
Old 2020-06-09, 07:23   Link #54
devil_slayer

@WingedAccelerator The series was doing pretty great between 2011 to 2014 despite being over 10 years old at that point, the massive decline came to be after the false ALRAM in 10TH anniversary and the world rejector world arc which saw HUGE drop in sales because mid NT was pretty mediocre and fans felt betrayed.

They blew up their last chance with how they murdered INDEX III and gave us an Accel anime no one asked for.
Old 2020-06-09, 07:25   Link #55
Kyuusaisha

I'd prefer open-end no conclusion over abusive Biribiri end. But given how popular she is for some reason I can't quite understand and with how much of a focus or good opportunities she's been getting as of late I can't see anyone else having a shot.
Kyuusaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 07:35   Link #56
devil_slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusaisha View Post
I'd prefer open-end no conclusion over abusive Biribiri end. But given how popular she is for some reason I can't quite understand and with how much of a focus or good opportunities she's been getting as of late I can't see anyone else having a shot.
Focus? Yeah, she gets screen time but her role is usually irrelevant to the overall conflict and she's just "there" most of the time and play a supportive role at best except for few volumes.

Barely anyone gets any romantic development with Touma tbh.
Old 2020-06-09, 07:46   Link #57
Tenzen12

Being actively supporting to Touma even if it's not related to her is what she has going for her especially as he himself is aware of it. You could argue it's enough and if you do, that's fine but let's be honest recent storyline doesn't revolve around heroines anymore so as far as story relevance goes, everyone in equal in that regard and have to involve themselves on their own to get some spotlight and relevance.
Old 2020-06-09, 13:48   Link #58
WingedAccelerator

Quote:
@WingedAccelerator The series was doing pretty great between 2011 to 2014 despite being over 10 years old at that point, the massive decline came to be after the false ALRAM in 10TH anniversary and the world rejector world arc which saw HUGE drop in sales because mid NT was pretty mediocre and fans felt betrayed.

They blew up their last chance with how they murdered INDEX III and gave us an Accel anime no one asked for.
I'm aware.
Woke up early for that announcement, then Heavy Object hit the fans hard, came the dislike spamming for ages and I think Miki also had to apologize, so he started saying Index III is coming, it's still possible etc for years. Reality is that Dengeki Bunko sits on their best properties for ages for no reason whatsoever, diminishing once big franchises in the process.

Even though what happened with Index is regretful, if I remember correctly, it had better numbers after 23 volumes (early NT) than SAO after 23 volumes, so Index still declined better even among all of the controversies afterwards.
WingedAccelerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-06-09, 15:10   Link #59
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
I'm aware.
Woke up early for that announcement, then Heavy Object hit the fans hard, came the dislike spamming for ages and I think Miki also had to apologize, so he started saying Index III is coming, it's still possible etc for years. Reality is that Dengeki Bunko sits on their best properties for ages for no reason whatsoever, diminishing once big franchises in the process.

Even though what happened with Index is regretful, if I remember correctly, it had better numbers after 23 volumes (early NT) than SAO after 23 volumes, so Index still declined better even among all of the controversies afterwards.
Is it still an apology if he does it while laughing? (No, isn't).

PS: don't forget that poor streamer that was recording the whole countdown live .
Old 2020-06-09, 19:44   Link #60
devil_slayer

Books like NT2 and NT3 used to sell 200K+ copies which is pretty great even by today's standard. Othinus arc was still doing pretty good between 150K to 175K sold copies.

Nowadays it struggles to sell 1/10 of that.

I just don't know what they were even thinking back in 2014. Even now, they are brain dead when it comes to managing any Toaru media other than Railgun.