AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Spice and Wolf

Notices

Old 2010-07-01, 02:52   Link #1081
Matt122005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajura View Post
Well, people who enjoy the story have just gotta continue to show there is a market for it. If sales remain strong and the reader base continues to grow, the Eng. ver. of the series should see it way through to the end.
It should also be mentioned that the release schedule not only could grow longer, but shorter as well. If the books continue to sell well, and increase in their reader base, than it would be plausible to believe that at some point Yen Press might find it financially acceptable to release the books faster. It just all depends on sales. Thankfully, according to them, Haruhi and Spice and Wolf are selling quite well.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-01, 22:56   Link #1082
SakuraAyanami
Skies Of Dawn

That it's true but at the same time it's unlikely to happen seeing that the sales are good but not THAT good to justify a re-schedule to release the novels in less time. Because lets ask ourselves, how good it's a "quite well" in the standard of the book industry sales?
SakuraAyanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 11:40   Link #1083
Kaguya
an idler

At last, the last chapter will be released.
The last chapter consists of two or more volumes.
First, Vol.15 "Taiyo no Kinka<jou> / Gold coin of the sun <the first volume>" is released on September 10.

Originally, the release date was due to be announced one month ago.
As for this delay, I worry about whether it is a good sign or a bad sign.

Spoiler for preview of Vol.15:
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 13:30   Link #1084
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Slipping release date could mean the author/editor decided it wasn't quite ready and decided to hold it back a bit, at least it's no Full Metal Panic/Haruhi!
Shame the final 'chapter' of the story is going to be released in multiple parts, but if it helps Hasekura do a better job of it, then by all means.

Does mean the series is going to be 16 or so volumes long though...meaning I won't see the final volume for...7 more years (at current release rates)
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-03, 21:26   Link #1085
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I am most optimistic... this will likely mean any loose ends will be tied up and a fantastic end! I expect great things!

Thanks for the update Kaguya!

And... no spoilers for me. HAHAHAHAHA!
Old 2010-07-04, 04:29   Link #1086
Mr. Anime

7 years, thats a lot of time, i could be dead by then
all the more reason we need about 3 more anime seasons^^
i envy u guys who can read japanese, i am going to study a semester in japan in 2 years (about 25 japanese language lessons per week) but i somehow doubt that this will be enough to READ all kinds of kanji. i would need at least an audio book^^
Mr. Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 10:53   Link #1087
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Even after a few years of "spare time hobby" language study of Japanese, I never try to read without a couple of dictionaries and reference books handy ... I read like a 2nd/3rd grader who has a small bag of extra big words he knows.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-07-05 at 21:58.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 11:03   Link #1088
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Even after a few years of "spare time hobby" language work, I never try to read without a couple of dictionaries and reference books handy ... I read like a 2nd/3rd grader who has a small bag of extra big words he knows.
Sounds like my brother speaking English, and we are English haha
Old 2010-07-04, 11:30   Link #1089
Mr. Anime

thats why i wonder if there are some longer summaries out there, kaguya´s arent enough^^. if someone knows how i could "inform" myself about spice and wolf plz tell me
Mr. Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-04, 13:23   Link #1090
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Anime View Post
thats why i wonder if there are some longer summaries out there, kaguya´s arent enough^^. if someone knows how i could "inform" myself about spice and wolf plz tell me
Kaguya might be able to help; I try to avoid spoilers in general. But as I said, maybe if you try a PM, Kaguya might be able to get you the original source or even be able to expand on the details discretely hidden within the spoiler box.

As for kanji... the best place to start is learning like a little kid. I know I have seen kanji charts on the internet that have them broken down by the grade level at which children learn them. I have had a fair amount of success with it. My reading and recognition skills are improving, but my writing skills are still terrible!
Old 2010-07-12, 12:01   Link #1091
nsmcho

Hi everyone. I'm a big fan of this anime.
How many novels does the anime cover? Can I read the rest of the story in the recently published english novels?
Thanks...
nsmcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-12, 13:50   Link #1092
Rajura

So far the anime is beyond the Eng. release of the novels.

I have not bought any of the Nih. releases, so I can't say with 100% certainty how far the anime covers, but I think it is through Volume 5. However, I wanna say there a parts of Volumes 3-5 that are not covered.

But like I said, I haven't bought the Nih. releases and haven't looked at any spoilers so...

I know there are other folks that will probably be of more help than me. Sorry, I couldn't provide you a complete answer.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:36   Link #1093
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Season 1 was books 1 and 2, Season 2 was book 3 and 5, 4 was missed out entirely as I understand. Additionally as Rajura says there are extra monologues and scenes in the books, but nothing critical, they just flesh the world and characters out more, at least comparing Season 1 and the books.
Old 2010-07-14, 07:34   Link #1094
nsmcho

Ok thanks.
What about the manga? Is it better than the novels?
I ordered spice and wolf novel volume 1 with the japanese cover from right stuf. Amazon doesn't even offer japanese covers >_<
Old 2010-07-14, 11:52   Link #1095
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm not even sure how to answer that.... the manga has more pictures?

The light novels are the *source*, the original stories. The manga is an adaptation of that. The interesting thing about the manga is that it isn't a "copy lift" of the anime. It follows the novels more closely and has many scenes not present in the anime. The art style is a bit different too which is refreshing. All-in-all, *both* are worth reading but the novel series is *almost* complete whereas the manga has a good many years ahead of it at the pace it is going.
Old 2010-07-14, 12:25   Link #1096
nsmcho

Yea but even if it's almost complete, Yen Press releases one translated novel every 6 months... I can't read Japanese. It's pretty much the same pace as the manga for westerners.
I just want to be able to see the complete story. Either by watching the anime, the novel or the manga.
Not sure which one will be canceled first. For example, if westerners don't buy enough novels, Yen Press probably is going to stop the release of these novels...
And there is no announcement about a 3rd anime season.
Old 2010-07-14, 20:52   Link #1097
Rajura

Well, don't worry... so far sales have been strong and support is there for both the novels and manga. As for the anime, I can only only hope for some good news later this year.
Old 2010-07-15, 02:42   Link #1098
ThunderSt0rm

Send a message via AIM to ThunderSt0rm
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmcho View Post
Yea but even if it's almost complete, Yen Press releases one translated novel every 6 months... I can't read Japanese. It's pretty much the same pace as the manga for westerners.
I just want to be able to see the complete story. Either by watching the anime, the novel or the manga.
Not sure which one will be canceled first. For example, if westerners don't buy enough novels, Yen Press probably is going to stop the release of these novels...
And there is no announcement about a 3rd anime season.
This sounds a lot like my situation. I just want to read/watch more without having to wait months, etc. I've read what B-T had before it was taken down (though I read it on a different site after it was already taken down) and I hate not being able to know more, as well as being tempted by the occasional spoiler tag.....

I'd definitely pay to read each volume and w/e (at least for volume 2 and ongoing starting with the fifth novel) but my level of self-confidence is virtually nonexistent so it's likely I won't be walking into Borders to buy the english novels D:
ThunderSt0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-15, 06:26   Link #1099
Rajura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderSt0rm View Post
...I'd definitely pay to read each volume and w/e (at least for volume 2 and ongoing starting with the fifth novel) but my level of self-confidence is virtually nonexistent so it's likely I won't be walking into Borders to buy the english novels D:
Well, I finally overcame that fear (started by buying something "more normal" when I'd get something I was afraid people would look on me with derision for), but if that feeling stands after doing that, Right Stuf or another online seller is always an option.
Old 2010-07-15, 09:11   Link #1100
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

There's not much in the way of representation where I live so it's been up1/RS/amazon for me anyway.

Tags
light novels, seinen, shounen