AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 19:14   Link #221
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
They're a business. Think about what would happen if this happened at a hotel. Plus, as lovable as Ohana is, she acts spoiled when she interacts with Minko. From Minko's point of view, she's messing in things that she shouldn't be messing with [the plants], she's butting in other people's business [the chef], and she's causing her trouble and then trying to appease her by demonizing the grandmother who she has only met for a day.
But... the plants weren't in the back of the facility but where patrons could see it. Therefore, they are 'weeds" If Minko had wanted to have a small garden, she should have brought the point up with management so that a small spot could be set aside in the back of the facility.

The chef should have known not to yell at his trainee like that and Minko should have been happy that someone stood up for her, let alone a stranger who you wanted to die.

Like it or not, Ohana or her uncle will prob inherit the place so it's still "her business".
Old 2011-04-03, 19:15   Link #222
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

my theory on Ko is: the whole series will be Ohana's character getting developed and attaining that level of maturity she needs to properly respond to him. it goes along with my "one destination, many detours" theory of the relationship development in this show.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:40   Link #223
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

http://img812.imageshack.us/i/o0350049211136436611.jpg/

By Nanao Naru... Hmm? When did her artwork get worse like this...

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:47   Link #224
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
http://img812.imageshack.us/i/o0350049211136436611.jpg/

By Nanao Naru... Hmm? When did her artwork get worse like this...
Heh I can definitely see the comparison the personality between Ohana and Noe, but yeh... that's pretty bad. It's of a fanpic quality. Are you sure its by Naru Nanao, the same person who drew the character designs for the main heroines in Da Capo and ef + Matsuri Shihou from sola?
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:53   Link #225
Sageblink
Speculation is wrong.

Just like D-Gold, i didn't know anything about this anime before watching it.
And I just couldn't help myself but to watch episode 1 twice.

I usually don't like anime which deals with "ordinary" life (having a mother like that isn't really ordinary...) but this one... Man, THIS ONE ! All the characters are just too good. The chara-design, their introduction, the way they interact with each others...

And still, it was just the first episode.
I'm reaaaaally please and looking for the next one !
Sageblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:22   Link #226
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJR View Post
True Tears (some stellar dialogue but lacklustre pacing and development)
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one,I had no problem whatsoever with the pacing or developement of true tears.

Quote:
The excitement over True Tears can only carry her for so long.
I'm asking myself "What excitement?"The show didn't really have great dvd sales and all the critical acclaim I've heard has been for the animation/direction rather than the script,maybe I've missed something.

But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
Old 2011-04-03, 20:30   Link #227
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But... the plants weren't in the back of the facility but where patrons could see it. Therefore, they are 'weeds" If Minko had wanted to have a small garden, she should have brought the point up with management so that a small spot could be set aside in the back of the facility.
Oh, I was talking about the futon. In my opinion, Ohama doesn't really deserve blame for the plant thing, but I can see why someone would be mad.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:47   Link #228
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
But speaking of True Tears,I'm surprised the grandma here is getting so much hate across all the messages I've read on forums,I don't remember the mom in true tears getting so much hate over how she treated Hiromi.
In True Tears, I think all the hate got directed towards a certain shipping winning over a certain shipping if you know what I mean...

Troll + spoiler pic inc:

Spoiler for True Tears Ending:
Old 2011-04-03, 20:51   Link #229
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
I remember differently. In this case though, the grandmother is probably a more prominent character and related to the main character's maturing, so she'll receive more attention as the series goes on.

Still, this is just according to memory.
Old 2011-04-03, 20:52   Link #230
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Heh I can definitely see the comparison the personality between Ohana and Noe, but yeh... that's pretty bad. It's of a fanpic quality. Are you sure its by Naru Nanao, the same person who drew the character designs for the main heroines in Da Capo and ef + Matsuri Shihou from sola?
Yeah, it seems to be by her.

Quote:
I'm asking myself "What excitement?"The show didn't really have great dvd sales and all the critical acclaim I've heard has been for the animation/direction rather than the script,maybe I've missed something.

DVD sales =/= Quality of the anime
There are anime with interesting stories and all of the good stuff selling less than low-quality fanservice anime.

Because the Mom was younger?
And she wasn't as violent (I think).

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 20:53   Link #231
D-Gold
Aurum

I remember true tears. It was one of those shows where I wanted both girls to have a happy end with their male interest. I usually pick one girl and support her all the way.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:06   Link #232
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
DVD sales =/= Quality of the anime
But to me "excitment" =/= Quality of the anime either,I love true tears,I've watched it 3 times but it seems to me there wasn't that much excitment around it.

Quote:
Because the Mom was younger?
And she wasn't as violent (I think).
Spoiler for true tears:
Old 2011-04-03, 21:09   Link #233
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Spoiler for TT:

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:13   Link #234
Pocari_Sweat

Above poster might want to put that in a spoiler.

Regarding excitement/popularity of True Tears, if I remember reading an article on Sankaku (lol Sankaku, I know I take these guys with a grain of salt but they are rather good for entertainment purposes) that True Tears was ranked #3 or something for the best anime of 2008 based on a poll in 2chan. DVDs sold like dog turd though, think it was something like 2.5k which is probably barely breaking even considering the production quality.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:16   Link #235
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
Above poster might want to put that in a spoiler.

Regarding excitement/popularity of True Tears, if I remember reading an article on Sankaku (lol Sankaku, I know I take these guys with a grain of salt but they are rather good for entertainment purposes) that True Tears was ranked #3 or something for the best anime of 2008 based on a poll in 2chan. DVDs sold like dog turd though, think it was something like 2.5k which is probably barely breaking even considering the production quality.
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well. I'm hoping Hanasaku sells well, anyway.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:27   Link #236
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well.
You're assuming right

Quote:
2009/10/21 *3,559 Vol. 1
2009/11/27 *3,102 Vol. 2
2009/12/25 *2,695 Vol. 3
2010/01/29 *2,622 Vol. 4
2010/02/26 *2,819 Vol. 5
2010/03/17 *2,742 Vol. 6 (Three episodes)
As much as I like Angel beats less than True Tears and Canaan I'm glad it at least got PA works some cash.

Any word from the reception of this episode in japan (apart from sankoku)?
Old 2011-04-03, 21:29   Link #237
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
At least PA Works has Angel Beats. How well did Canaan sell? I'm assuming not too well. I'm hoping Hanasaku sells well, anyway.
Angel Beats, in my opinion, will always remain as a cash cow and P.A. Works attempt at trying to be KyoAni when trying to adapt "Key" works. Yes, Angel Beats was a big seller, and is going to P.A. Works best selling series for a long time, but it still remain as the worst anime produced by them.

Heck, Hanasaku Iroha's first episode covered more ground than the entirety of Angel Beats.

I'm extremely glad that P.A. Works decided to go back to their roots of animating original slice of series. However, I can't fully criticize P.A. for doing such a thing as animation companies need money from time to time. Perhaps they could knab another "Key" series as their next cash cow title since KyoAni seems to be more than content riding the FOTM Moe train since Clannad AS ended. Planetarian and Little Buster I'm looking at you.

Regardless, I still thought Angel Beats was okay, and still better than the equivalent K-on Season 2 that was airing at the same time. I just found it hilarious that Angel Beats had better music and concert scenes than the music that was "supposed" to be a music anime.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-04-03 at 21:42.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:42   Link #238
TJR

Quote:
True Tears was one of the most discussed and acclaimed series on 2ch during its run. The thing is that it's hard to tell what will sell. Often, popularity and critical acclaim on 2ch correlates to financial success (after all, participants tend to be hardcore otaku, who're the people most likely to buy anime DVDs), but it isn't always the case. At the end of the day, producers need to present a product that people want to collect, so just having otaku enjoy and praise a series isn't good enough.

Anyway, I'm referring more to industry excitement than fan response. Producers took notice, and it opened up many work opportunities for Okada, particularly in the way of original scripts. For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale (P.A. Works would sign her on again for CANAAN and Hanasaku Iroha, while Aniplex pitched Anohana).

This flood of work typically happens when a director, writer, seiyuu, or studio puts out something that really catches people's attention (via sales performance, interesting hooks, merchandising success, fan acclaim). Suddenly, everyone wants to capitalize on that potential and produce their own winner from it.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:44   Link #239
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Anyway, I'm referring more to industry excitement than fan response. Producers took notice, and it opened up many work opportunities for Okada, particularly in the way of original scripts. For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale (P.A. Works would sign her on again for CANAAN and Hanasaku Iroha, while Aniplex pitched Anohana).
Anohana's script is by Okada as well? Jeez... That's the other series this season that was on the top of my plan to watch list since it's in the notamina timeslot.
I also remember reading up on an Anime blog (it was either blogsuki or star crossed) that during Jun Maeda's interview regarding Angel Beats, how he was impressed with True Tears and was part of the reason why he wanted to write for P.A. Works.
Old 2011-04-03, 21:58   Link #240
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
True Tears was one of the most discussed and acclaimed series on 2ch during its run.
Thanks for the info,didn't know that.

I'm guessing poor DVD sales because

Spoiler for true tears:

Quote:
For instance, Kannagi director Yamakan spoke of how impressive True Tears was, and by golly, he selected Okada for Fractale
I knew he thought highly of her,didn't know it was because of True tears so thanks again for the info

Quote:
Anohana's script is by Okada as well?
She scripted 3 of the past 4 NoitaminA shows (the exception is "C") and has done 6 shows since fall 2010 so TJR is right to say she's all over the place.

Tags
comedy, coming of age, drama, p.a. works, pa works, romance, slice of life