AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-26, 14:32   Link #341
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

JWA (Japan's Women University, the uni the girls are said to go to) is quite a high-ranking college from what I heard. And in a country where graduating from a more 'inferior' university is said to able to make or break your future career, this seems to be a very good choice.

In the case of all the three girls aside Mugi, it's a matter of going somewhere with people you know to keep the strong bond between them intact.

Besides, Mio couldn't stand being separated from her friends in her second high school year (or at least, didn't like being dropped in a room where she hardly knew anyone), so this may have also influenced her changing her mind.
Old 2010-08-27, 08:26   Link #342
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Send a message via MSN to WBoon
Hah... cold Mio is cold - but that's why I like her. :3

I just finished watching Episode 12 of the first season yesterday (couldn't wait for it), and I have to say that her portrayal in the episode shows exactly the stuff I was talking about. See, if she was not mature enough, just canceling the show for the sake of Yui, I believe that the club would ultimately suffer.

But no, she remained strong and cold enough to push the team ahead, but you could clearly see that she's hurting on the inside when she sings. Way more different than Episode 6, where in Episode 12, she's either too distressed about Yui to care about being embarrassed while singing upstage, or that she's learned to cope with that experience more calmly by then. Either way, it's a really nice moment of growth imo.
Old 2010-08-27, 09:39   Link #343
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by krko View Post
Eh, IMO, risking your future for the chance to be with your friends for four more years doesn't strike me as as mature. At least Yui and Ritsu have the excuse that they haven't chosen anything yet but Mio sacrificing a ticket to a pretty good college just for the chance to be with her friends strikes me as kinda rash.
The school Mugi is going to is no slacker school, Mio simply got a recommendation to *another* good school that she turned down.

In some ways, Mio is still pretty broken in terms of self-confidence - being able to keep her support group of the few friends she actually has for a bit longer will make the transition to adult life easier.

As others are saying.. the amazing thing here is that Ritsu and Yui are going to have to put on their Calvin Kitchen Colander Brain-Magnifiers to pass the entrance exams -- but we've seen they can do that when it really counts.

I thought Mugi's little dance was telling.... these people are really the *only* friends she has as well. At least ones who don't treat her like an untouchable princess of the clan.
Old 2010-08-27, 10:47   Link #344
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

For Yui at least, threaten her with no cake is she doesn't pass the exam.

Mio will do fine. Ritsu is the question mark.
Old 2010-08-27, 11:26   Link #345
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
For Yui at least, threaten her with no cake is she doesn't pass the exam.

Mio will do fine. Ritsu is the question mark.
don't worry, Ritsu may be lazy but she's very smart.
Old 2010-08-27, 15:26   Link #346
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
lucky if you ask me, her Pencil Dice rolling is unmatched
Old 2010-08-29, 09:14   Link #347
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Is it me or is Mio the eye of the show? As in that we see through her PoV through the series most of the time (or at least, in my case, Season One)? Some Most said that this role is actually taken by Mugi, but after finishing Episode 14 of S1 (Live House!), and seeing how Mio is the one who gets to 'sum up' the status of her friends, I feel like this anime should be called, "How Mio Sees Her Friends," or "As Told by Mio." You get the point.

This just makes the fanboy in me all warmer, and fuzzier, just seeing how much Mio appreciates her friends (and the band). x3
Old 2010-08-29, 10:54   Link #348
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
I agree with that. Out of all the group members, she's usually the first to notice something is wrong and is also one of the more logical ones. It's just too bad she isn't so book smart.
Old 2010-08-29, 10:59   Link #349
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Hah... no offense, but, is this thread still about Mio... or Ritsu?
Old 2010-08-29, 11:02   Link #350
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm fairly certain that Yui's the center of most of the series in terms of who gets followed around most of the time. Sometimes we get other POV but generally it is Yui.
Old 2010-08-29, 11:44   Link #351
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
Hah... no offense, but, is this thread still about Mio... or Ritsu?
My bad, haha. Didn't remember the thread title xD

Anyways, I wonder what Mio's gonna do after/in university... She probably already has a fanclub there waiting for her xD
Old 2010-08-29, 11:52   Link #352
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloppyblue View Post
Anyways, I wonder what Mio's gonna do after/in university... She probably already has a fanclub there waiting for her xD
I sure hope she picks up something literal (or literature-ish?) like she was supposed to when she tried and join the Literature Club in the first episode. Now that she's already in the Keion Club with her friends, if given any freetime from that, it'd sure be a great opportunity for her to get more into her brainy side.

And yes, it'd be fun - for me - to see her unleash the full power of her intelligence (or smartness, depending on what kind of view you have in regards to her mind-power) at last!
Old 2010-09-01, 21:15   Link #353
ICEheaven102
Tui là người Viẹt!

Send a message via MSN to ICEheaven102
Mio being overshadowed by the other characters makes me very sad face.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:21   Link #354
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEheaven102 View Post
Mio being overshadowed by the other characters makes me very sad face.
Mio can't get overshadowed, she's the biggest... Like, no matter how much screen time she (does or doesn't) have, she's so popular as a character that everybody will love her regardless xD
Old 2010-09-01, 21:31   Link #355
ICEheaven102
Tui là người Viẹt!

Send a message via MSN to ICEheaven102
Quote:
Mio can't get overshadowed, she's the biggest... Like, no matter how much screen time she (does or doesn't) have, she's so popular as a character that everybody will love her regardless xD

Moe moe kyun.
Old 2010-09-01, 21:40   Link #356
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
she's so popular as a character that everybody will love her regardless xD
I initially agreed with ICEheaven102's statement when I first watched K-On!. But as time went on, and I read the tons of articles out there just praising Mio's goddess status, I realized that there is no way Mio would get overshadowed in the end - and that would be the only reason people would hate her. :P
Old 2010-09-02, 14:50   Link #357
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBoon View Post
I initially agreed with ICEheaven102's statement when I first watched K-On!. But as time went on, and I read the tons of articles out there just praising Mio's goddess status, I realized that there is no way Mio would get overshadowed in the end - and that would be the only reason people would hate her. :P
Other than the fact that she's practically terrified of her own shadow, has so little self-esteem and self-worth that she changes her first choice college just to be with her friends (two of whom selected the school out of sheer impulsiveness, because they just decided to go with whatever Mugi picked,) and having a best friend who is so completely her polar opposite she feels the need to regularly hit and act out toward said friend.

The only things really going for Mio are that she's tall, dark, and well-endowed.

I will, however, speculate that her popularity is derived from the fact that her traits probably make her more of an Everyman than her bandmates. Frankly, she exhibits many of the same traits that lonely, young, single, men (read: stereotypical otaku) do. She's not the tomboyish fireball that her best friend Ritsu is. She isn't an exotic rich chick like Mugi. She's not the dedicated musician that Azusa is. She's certainly not the charismatic savant hidden behind a facade of disarming idiocy that Yui is.
Old 2010-09-02, 15:38   Link #358
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
Other than the fact that she's practically terrified of her own shadow, has so little self-esteem
Yeah, well, I blame the writers for that. Fanservice FTL. Just to keep the moeness that (almost) everyone adored her for, they sacrificed good character development.

Quote:
and self-worth that she changes her first choice college just to be with her friends (two of whom selected the school out of sheer impulsiveness, because they just decided to go with whatever Mugi picked,)
Like I said before, this is relative. Depending on one's opinion, there could be many reasons out there why she chose to do that; her prime principle being loyal, impractical friendship rather than attaining higher educational qualifications could be one. Hell, she might not even be interested in getting a high degree of education, for all we know. She might have just put that college as her first choice just to put up a mature appearance again, and I think her digress from doing so was probably the biggest character growth for her in the show, ironically. No longer a stick-in-the-mud, and just wanting to purely enjoy life as it is with the ones she love.

Quote:
and having a best friend who is so completely her polar opposite she feels the need to regularly hit and act out toward said friend.
Again, fanservice. That comedy-act duo thingy. In other words, one of the aspects of K-On not to be taken seriously.

Quote:
The only things really going for Mio are that she's tall, dark, and well-endowed.
And kind. Her kindness seemed more sincere than hypocritical to me. Though I might be biased about her sincerity, do remember that kindness takes various forms. Also, not sure if this is the right word, but, stonyhearted, particularly in Episode 12 of Season One. She's willing to make the tough choices the other members are either too lazy or weak-willed to choose. Hell, she made a better leader than Ritsu at times due to this aspect.

Quote:
I will, however, speculate that her popularity is derived from the fact that her traits probably make her more of an Everyman than her bandmates. Frankly, she exhibits many of the same traits that lonely, young, single, men (read: stereotypical otaku) do.
Perhaps in the aspect of otakus making more impractical, unrealistic choices for their own fantasized principles that don't really work in the real world as they did in the anime (or fictitious) one, yes.

Quote:
She's certainly not the charismatic savant hidden behind a facade of disarming idiocy that Yui is.
I'll admit that Yui has more heart than brains, in more aspects than Mio, even... but 'charismatic' might be too much.

But I admit - Mio seriously needs to work on her charisma. In one way, she's actually too pure (or rather, lost touch with the practical methods of real people) to gain the favor of the more blunt followers of realism out there. But I'm sure that growth would happen in just a matter of time. :3
Old 2010-09-02, 15:39   Link #359
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

So a large portion of Mio's personality is for the sole purpose of fanservice?
That really sucks
Old 2010-09-02, 15:40   Link #360
WBoon
Smile, like HTT Girls
*Author

Quote:
So a large portion of Mio's personality is for the sole purpose of fanservice?
That really sucks
I know, right? That's why we fan fic writers have to work hard... >_<" To right the wrong those money-grubbing producers made.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters