AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2012-07-29, 03:45   Link #1621
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
WOW To be honest and serious Netto Azure, I never look at SAO like you just said.
That's why it pains me EVERY SINGLE TIME when I see people criticize and lambast SAO as being "cliche and using overused plots."

And seriously, I've looked everywhere and nobody really has put things like that. I mean yeah, people expounded on the themes individually, but no one mentioned it directly in such a format. :/

I remember reading SAO at a rate of two volumes a day since it was just that engaging for me, call me overanalyzing but it seriously brought joy to my heart that an author has tackled such complicated societal questions in such an entertaining manner.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:45   Link #1622
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
In addition to all the reasons mentioned above...

Do you really want to be the politician that says "Yea... let's pull the plug on these thousands of kids!"

This isn't some unknown aggregate number on a spreadsheet somewhere, SAO is an extremely high profile case that would no doubt continue to receive wide media attention, especially given the constant dying that goes on. Any politician that advocates pulling the plug on them to save mere pittance would be committing political suicide with a thermonuclear bomb.
Well, of course it cannot be done directly. They can do it indirectly if they want...like forgetting to feed them, or temporary disabled the internet connection and etc.

Still, at least SAO government is better compare to the Academy City from Index; where the demons and rapists live.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:51   Link #1623
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
That's why it pains me EVERY SINGLE TIME when I see people criticize and lambast SAO as being "cliche and using overused plots."

And seriously, I've looked everywhere and nobody really has put things like that. I mean yeah, people expounded on the themes individually, but no one mentioned it directly in such a format. :/

I remember reading SAO at a rate of two volumes a day since it was just that engaging for me, call me overanalyzing but it seriously brought joy to my heart that an author has tackled such complicated societal questions in such an entertaining manner.
Maybe you should ask the MOD's to create a thread where you can talk about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post
Well, of course it cannot be done directly. They can do it indirectly if they want...like forgetting to feed them, or temporary disabled the internet connection and etc.

Still, at least SAO government is better compare to the Academy City from Index; where the demons and rapists live.
Isn't that a place where only or well mostly students live?
Old 2012-07-29, 03:52   Link #1624
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

Err, why would they go to that length and risk an even bigger political meltdown by quite literally assassinating their citizens to save the cost of caring for a few thousand coma patients, which would be less than a rounding error in their budget?
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:54   Link #1625
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Maybe you should ask the MOD's to create a thread where you can talk about this.

Isn't that a place where only or well mostly students live?
On surface, Yes. Majority of the casts from Index don't call themselves Darkside of Academy City for no reason. Plus, what they did was quite nasty and disgust. More like a demon's work.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:02   Link #1626
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
I dunno, has such a thread even been made before? I might just get branded as overly analyzing and being all too serious about a book/anime series.

Also I agree, it was described in ALO I believe, that the SAO Incident Agency figuratively had their hands tied due to political considerations and the idea of having 8,000 players having brain bombs stuck to their heads, with the chance that tampering with it would cause a system-wide brain melt.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 04:09   Link #1627
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
I dunno, has such a thread even been made before? I might just get branded as overly analyzing and being all too serious about a book/anime series.

Also I agree, it was described in ALO I believe, that the SAO Incident Agency figuratively had their hands tied due to political considerations and the idea of having 8,000 players having brain bombs stuck to their heads, with the chance that tampering with it would cause a system-wide brain melt.
I don't know either. And That does happen to me too. Well for me its more like I look for thing that are not there and get told that I dont like a character or other things.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:58   Link #1628
zero7090

what kind of novel that have final boss fight and ending in the first vol is this.....

can someone please make a banner warning for new people who want to read the novel that DO NOT read all the way till the end of vol 1 due to the spoiler of the final battle and ending?
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 11:01   Link #1629
Clarste
Human

Most Light Novels actually beat the final boss in the first volume. Because they don't know whether or not it'll be popular enough to get a sequel. They usually end the first volume in a way that leaves little or no important loose ends. SAO is somewhat unique in that it completely breaks down the premise afterwards, but I don't see how getting spoiled about the ending is something unexpected when you choose to read ahead.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 11:16   Link #1630
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
I don't see how getting spoiled about the ending is something unexpected when you choose to read ahead.
Yeah, this.
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 19:24   Link #1631
zero7090

This is like reading Harry Potter and the sorcerer stone and bam "That was my story when i am first year in Hogwart, now i stand in front of Voldermort fighting this final battle after destroying his 7 immortality toys including 1 inside me. I will remember you forever Mr. Dumbledore and Snape. You two are the hero of this world. Your death will not be in vain...."

What i thought was if this novel has 10 vol then i expect vol 1 will tell the story when Kirito at floor lv 1 - 10, vol 2 floor 11-20 ... vol 10 floor 91-100 and the last battle.
zero7090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 19:36   Link #1632
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
This is like reading Harry Potter and the sorcerer stone and bam "That was my story when i am first year in Hogwart, now i stand in front of Voldermort fighting this final battle after destroying his 7 immortality toys including 1 inside me. I will remember you forever Mr. Dumbledore and Snape. You two are the hero of this world. Your death will not be in vain...."

What i thought was if this novel has 10 vol then i expect vol 1 will tell the story when Kirito at floor lv 1 - 10, vol 2 floor 11-20 ... vol 10 floor 91-100 and the last battle.
Except Voldemort is the antagonist of the entire Harry Potter series, while Kayaba is only the antagonist of the Aincrad arc.
Old 2012-07-29, 19:46   Link #1633
sky black swordman

Quote:
Except Voldemort is the antagonist of the entire Harry Potter series, while Kayaba is only the antagonist of the Aincrad arc.
Well thats true .
Old 2012-07-29, 19:55   Link #1634
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post

The thing to remember is that the MMO Sword Art Online isn't the entirety of the story. It's a self-contained story, with a villain and a hero who defeats said villain. Like a GREAT many novels that may never see a sequel it's written to be self-contained, but with interesting characters and setting so the author can potentially make sequels.

Also, isn't the comparison a trifle silly? Doesn't Potter defeat Voldemort in book one? At least in some format? It's been a while and I'm not the greatest of fans of the franchise.

And... boy-howdy we're wandering off-topic fast.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 20:12   Link #1635
sky black swordman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
The thing to remember is that the MMO Sword Art Online isn't the entirety of the story. It's a self-contained story, with a villain and a hero who defeats said villain. Like a GREAT many novels that may never see a sequel it's written to be self-contained, but with interesting characters and setting so the author can potentially make sequels.

Also, isn't the comparison a trifle silly? Doesn't Potter defeat Voldemort in book one? At least in some format? It's been a while and I'm not the greatest of fans of the franchise.
Yes this is so let s get back on topic shall we?

But before that, Yes he does . Well kinda expect Vol 3. Its not defeat but more fends off or he is forced to retreat or Potter retreats.
Old 2012-07-29, 21:37   Link #1636
Meltyred

Quote:

He does it nearly 4-5 times throughout the series if I remember.

And Harry Potter is a novel series, while SAO is a Light novel.
So it not dragging out is not a bad thing. (Better than having chapters full of grinding on one level.)
Anyway, do we have any more news on Vol 10?
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 21:41   Link #1637
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
Anyway, do we have any more news on Vol 10?
What news?

If it's BT translation, I'd imagine it'd be awhile yet.
Old 2012-07-29, 23:17   Link #1638
Lamb Chop

Quote:
Sequels should better than their original though, at least in my preference. I kind of agree with zero7090. I just finished reading the first volume and I can't believe the way things ended. Now I've begun the fourth volume, but I'm trying to fight the temptation of skipping right to the end.

Why? Because it feels like I'm reading a completely different story than the one I enjoyed. And it was a big surprise to introduce a new female lead and switch Asuna to supporting. When I got done reading the first volume, I felt like I had a strong connection with Asuna so it was hard to see someone else in her shoes. I find the new girl more annoying than likable. The pacing's also fast. I kind of expected more details where some things sounded vague, but now I just want it to be over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltyred View Post
And Harry Potter is a novel series, while SAO is a Light novel.
So it not dragging out is not a bad thing. (Better than having chapters full of grinding on one level.)
I'm reading Fairy Dance volume four right now. At this point it feels like it is dragging out to me, just in a different VRMMO. Sure there's no more levels/stairs to climb up, the settings/rules have changed and Kayaba's been defeated but hold on. Now, Kirito's trying to climb up a tall tree to free a bunch of players who are still trapped in Nerve Gear. He's also fighting some of the strongest enemies along the way up. And yeah Kayaba's gone but he just got replaced by Sugou. If I could summarize Fairy Dance so far it'd be: "grinding on one level".....this time with wings.

I'm not against sequels. I just didn't favor volume one's ending and how this story has progressed so far.
Lamb Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 23:41   Link #1639
Javiersansano

Quote:
What news?

If it's BT translation, I'd imagine it'd be awhile yet.

Hi there, i'm new in this thread, but this is the best place to get updates about SAO. Just finished ALL the translated SAO material at Bakatsuki after just two weeks, and sadly, I found a cliffhanger at the end of Volume 9... still, considering that Volume 10 was publshed in the middle of July, it might be difficult to find a complete translation in less than at least three months.

anyway, good to be here
Javiersansano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 23:59   Link #1640
sky black swordman

^@Javiersansano
Welcome .

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality