AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2017-11-26, 01:25   Link #541
deus-misereatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Let's see. Few good examples of "finished" characters, huh. Here is few.

Kamijou Touma
Aoki Yoshifume
Granny Weatherwax
Peter Pan
Gandalf (change of colour scheme doesn't count)
Kazuma the Shell Bullet.
Gerhardt von Waldstein
Flat Escardos
Aslan
Ah, I guess this is where we'll have to agree to disagree. Of the characters I know here - Touma, Peter Pan, and Gandalf, the only one I'll agree is a static character is Peter Pan. The rest experience sufficient changes throughout the stories that they feature in, that they have enough development to not be considered static characters in any shape and form. As for Aslan, are you referring to Aslan Zala from SeeD, or Arslan from Arslan Senki?

Take Touma, for example. Do you honestly think he is the same person he was at the beginning as he is now in NT? The Hawaii Arc clearly showed his darker side, while the subsequent Baggage City Arc was his attempt at redemption.

Gandalf, on the other hand, had a more nuanced development. I am unsure which medium from which you saw Gandalf from, but I read the books before watching the movies, so the written version will always be the definitive version for me. In the books, Gandalf was never portrayed to be as powerful and confident as he is in the movies. His death and subsequent rebirth gave his character additional motivation and drive to change and further develop as opposed to, say, a Gandalf who never fell with the Baelrog.

Of course, one might argue that since Tolkien himself is known for his love for static characters, being that they feature so prominently in the mythologies he modeled LotR after, it is a character 'reveal' of sorts rather than a total character change (or development). To that, I can only say to each his own. To me, a consistent character is not equal to a static character - reveals that are wholly consistent with the character yet still 'change' or further defines a character is still character development beyond the scope of a mere static character, but that's just semantics at that point.

Of the LotR series, I consider Faramir to be indisputably THE static character of the books (and even movies, though for the latter, Eowyn got shafted quite badly as well).

As I mentioned above, I'll concede that Peter Pan is a static character. And precisely because of that, the main protagonist IS Wendy, to which Peter's unchanging nature was used as a foil for.

In any case, I think I've derailed the thread long and far away enough from the topic at hand: Alderamin! Before we get off-topiced of this forum, I still have yet to hear whether you saw the anime, and if you did, did you like it?

Anyways, as to tuckersister, as mentioned by Zefyris, everything is still fine, for now.
deus-misereatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-27, 20:11   Link #542
tuckersister

I'm surprise that Ikta keeps Haro with him despite knowing that she has another personality that's a psycho. I wonder how he puts up with "her".
tuckersister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-28, 06:00   Link #543
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by deus-misereatur View Post
In any case, I think I've derailed the thread long and far away enough from the topic at hand: Alderamin! Before we get off-topiced of this forum, I still have yet to hear whether you saw the anime, and if you did, did you like it?
I did see anime and I guess I more or less liked it. Probably. I remember I didn't have much problem with it's unique art unlike many others and that it was quite faithful.

That said there two types of LN adaptations for me. One you watch and enjoy because you read novel and other you don't need to see because, again you read it already. Alderamin is later for me
Old 2017-11-28, 13:28   Link #544
deus-misereatur

I guess I fall into the latter group you mentioned. I don't mind the uniqueness of the artstyle so much as the beautifying of Ikta. From average looking in the illustrations to being on par with Torway, an admitted bishonen in the Alderamin universe. It was pretty annoying in that sense to me.

To be fair though, I never could reconcile myself with LN adaptations. Often times I find myself getting angry at a 'pivotal' or 'interesting' - from my PoV - scene which got cut due to time constraints. Mahouka and Knights and Magic suffered from this, though the former did had a pretty cool gun-fu scene which would, if adapted literally, be just two guys walking towards each other while aiming their gun-looking devices at the air.
Old 2017-11-28, 20:06   Link #545
tuckersister

I think someone said that Chamille has one of Yatori's swords. Who has the other one?
Old 2017-12-01, 13:54   Link #546
Zefyris
図書館狼

The reason Ikta can put up with "her" is because "she" agreed to consider the knights and the empress as her family and therefore defends them as well, effectively changing side. As a result, you've got one of the most badass character defending the empress to the death. Anyone who has doubt on how badass and dedicated she is just need to read vol. 11 to understand. She puts most if not all other characters of this show to shame, showing once again what I said earlier, that
she is one of the most interesting/best character this series has to offer.

--
IIRC, Ikta has the other sword on his side.

--
The anime version was bad, but not because of the chara design choice. Because it wasn't an adaptation, but simply putting animated pictures on top of a part of the novel's text. If an adaptation is called "adaptation" it's because it's supposed to adapt the story and events to fits another completely different medium. The whole staff was clearly lacking the talent and the experience to do it from start to finish. Awkward and improper cut with the remaining parts not properly put back together, etc etc.
We often can complain about an adaptation changing and cutting things so much that it doesn't look like the original anymore, but here they only cut and didn't change what they should have changed, resulting in a very bad result.
Old 2017-12-01, 14:11   Link #547
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Let's see. Few good examples of "finished" characters, huh. Here is few.

Kamijou Touma
Aoki Yoshifume
Granny Weatherwax
Peter Pan
Gandalf (change of colour scheme doesn't count)
Kazuma the Shell Bullet.
Gerhardt von Waldstein
Flat Escardos
Aslan
But that's wrong
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 02:14   Link #548
Tenzen12

No it's not. Imagine breaker chose him for that very reason.He is so static whole universe decided revolve around him. Touma questioned his way many times (and for good reasons) but ultimately never changed course even slightly because not changing is his thing.

Well let's put that behind and not derail threat any further.
Old 2017-12-03, 10:19   Link #549
tuckersister

r there any spoilers from the volumes that take place after the time gap? anyone gets promoted?
Old 2017-12-08, 01:35   Link #550
Justice_Rises

Quote:
I did see anime and I guess I more or less liked it. Probably. I remember I didn't have much problem with it's unique art unlike many others and that it was quite faithful.

That said there two types of LN adaptations for me. One you watch and enjoy because you read novel and other you don't need to see because, again you read it already. Alderamin is later for me
Yeah, same with me.

Except I came to this board because of the anime. I would have had no idea this existed if it weren't for the anime.

Since many LN's aren't translated and its difficult picking and choosing them since there is so many damn novels out there, its tough.

Anime does help in a way, it creates awareness for the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
Leaving this here. Next volume coming out on december 10.

OOOHHHH BOY! OOOHHHH NOOO!!!

Last edited by LKK; 2017-12-08 at 09:22. Reason: posts merged. don't post multiple times in a row; use Edit button instead.
Justice_Rises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 09:22   Link #551
deus-misereatur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice_Rises View Post
Yeah, same with me.

Except I came to this board because of the anime. I would have had no idea this existed if it weren't for the anime.

Since many LN's aren't translated and its difficult picking and choosing them since there is so many damn novels out there, its tough.

Anime does help in a way, it creates awareness for the product.
For me, it was the manga first. Hmm, it was the same with MKnR too. Read the manga, saw that the author != the artist, figured it was a light novel, then immediately when to Baka-Tsuki. Back then, I didn't know of the the wonderful site known as novelupdates yet.
Old 2017-12-10, 07:09   Link #552
Lem

Apparently 14th volume will be the final one for the series.
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 09:20   Link #553
tuckersister

I wonder if Chamille and Ikta become a couple in vol 14. How's Haro doing as of now?
Old 2017-12-10, 13:34   Link #554
Sacredus

So series got canceled? I'm not surprised at all after author killing most popular heroine (that is still used for promotion) to push his favorite loli princess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 17:33   Link #555
Lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
So series got canceled? I'm not surprised at all after author killing most popular heroine (that is still used for promotion) to push his favorite loli princess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Why do you think it was canceled? Not every LN need's to be 15+ volumes.
Lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-10, 20:40   Link #556
tuckersister

We haven't got summaries the volumes after the time skip.
Old 2017-12-11, 20:57   Link #557
DanielSong39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredus View Post
Regardless of the author's intention it was pretty obvious fans liked Yatori a lot and Chamille, not as much.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-11, 21:56   Link #558
larethian

I actually do like Chamille but yes I prefer Yatori. But that's not the main point. This story could have gone on satisfactorily without romance at all and without Yatori getting killed, and the ending is still a powerful platonic beyond-lovers relationship between Ikta and Yatori, as long as she wasn't killed. Honestly, I felt so empty when reading v8 to v10 (or v11?) that I haven't moved on to newer volumes since. The emptiness really destroyed my love for the series, even though I was in semi-denial about it for a while. I guess I will eventually push through so as to complete this series.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-12, 12:15   Link #559
Zefyris
図書館狼

Some peoples here need to understand that the world isn't rotating around their waifus...

You don't cancel a series that rank in the oricon weekly chart when it's out, and alderamin does more than ranking, it ranks 2 weeks in a row and not near the bottom of the list at all.
Alderamin vol 12 sold 13k4 in 2 weeks, which is higher than like 90%+ of the published LN.
There is absolutely NO WAY that a series that sell that much in the opening weeks after 12 volumes gets cancelled by the publisher.

If volume 14 is the last volume, that's because the story is complete. Not because your waifu got killed 7 volumes ago. I understand the frustration at having your favourite character being killed but it doesn't mean that everyone stop reading and buying the series due to that. Especially when, like I said earlier, the two other female characters proved on the long run to be far more interesting and complex than Yatori could have ever been. Volume after that 7th were good. Character development and plot was good. Hence why peoples didn't stop buying. It's as simple as that.
Old 2017-12-12, 20:04   Link #560
tuckersister

I still wonder if the Igsem family blames Ikta for Yattori's death.

I don't see too many spoilers about the "other" Haro (forgot her name).

Tags
fantasy, historical, military science fiction, statecraft, tearjerker, tragedy