AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-24, 20:23   Link #141
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
*on the look out for new translators & Editors*

Old 2006-04-25, 07:24   Link #142
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

^-^ili It seems like there's still a bunch of problems await you. Please keep up, but don't torture yourselves, ok? (Well, I know all of you gonna be more-than-glad to be tortured by Haruhi anyway OwO)

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Old 2006-04-25, 09:16   Link #143
The Crappinometer
Haruhiist For Life

Send a message via Yahoo to The Crappinometer
good job guys! thank you very much for working on this!
Old 2006-04-26, 09:22   Link #144
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

http://www.baka-tsuki.net/project/in...lume1_Chapter5

Translation for Chapter 5 is done. Such a headache translating all the SF terms, editors, your time to shine now.

For this chapter, all I can say is......
Spoiler for Chapter 5:
Old 2006-04-26, 09:29   Link #145
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

yep. i've got feeling, though that yuki's special would appaer in episode 05 (chronologically) so episode 05/03 will introduce Itsuki.

*sigh*

So far away from Yuki special
Old 2006-04-26, 09:39   Link #146
dannyz

Spoiler:

LOL, Nagato knows SQL!!!

Oh and thanks for the translations.

Last edited by dannyz; 2006-04-26 at 09:54.
Old 2006-04-26, 10:50   Link #147
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

whats SQL?

Super-dimensional Quantum-string Lingo? O_o
Old 2006-04-26, 11:26   Link #148
valentin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
whats SQL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Answer
SQL stands for "Structured Query Language". This language allows us to pose complex questions of a database. It also provides a means of creating databases. SQL very widely used. Many database products support SQL, this means that if learn how to use SQL you can apply this knowledge to MS Access or SQL Server or to Oracle or Ingres and countless other databases.
This is usually use when maintaining either a on-site or off-site server.
Old 2006-04-26, 11:29   Link #149
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

wow. yuki must have access to a reality-changing server.

Old 2006-04-26, 11:41   Link #150
Julius Firefocht

Good job on all the translations so far! Keep up the good work, in the name of Haruhi!
Rightousness is our Shield, Faith our armour and Hatred our weapon.
Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death.
~~~~~

Blog featuring anime, manga, seiyuus, tabletop wargames (WH40K) and everything in between: http://nk-ds.org/
Old 2006-04-26, 12:31   Link #151
Adigard

SQL > Structured Query Language

Uses a command structure with the same base commands as Yuki's dataspeak. Here's an example of a SQL Query from wikipedia.

SELECT bk.title, count(*) AS Authors
FROM books AS bk, book_authors AS ba
WHERE bk.book_number = ba.book_number
GROUP BY bk.title

Other than the "PERSONAL NAME", the rest of Yuki's statements are all similar to SQL commands, or maybe that's just translator preference, hard to say in a Japanese > Chinese, Chinese > English translation. Lots of possibilities for error in there ^^;;

Quote:
reality-changing server?
Rather, I think she is allowed to add data to the existing world ^_^

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-26 at 13:27.
Old 2006-04-26, 13:04   Link #152
Thelastguardian

Quote:
whats SQL?

The thing I am running Baka-Tsuki on .

But that's not exactly a SQL query...

Anyway. That is how I would translate it if I was translating it from Japanese to English.

My theory- To Yuki(and her gang) the whole univese is one giant relational database that is made up of properties of all atoms. Therefore she can just "log in", access the proper table, and change the attribute of a particular set, no matter if it is the property of a metalic baseball bat or....

Which would sort of make sense, because Yuki commented on how her race was born in the "sea" of data litter throughout the universe. That means they are born inside that database (that seems to be SQL compatible?! ).

Think string theory, and how "supposingly" you can change the property of an object by changing its "string"...

Last edited by Thelastguardian; 2006-04-26 at 13:15.
Old 2006-04-26, 14:27   Link #153
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian

Anyway. That is how I would translate it if I was translating it from Japanese to English.

My theory- To Yuki(and her gang) the whole univese is one giant relational database that is made up of properties of all atoms. Therefore she can just "log in", access the proper table, and change the attribute of a particular set, no matter if it is the property of a metalic baseball bat or....

Which would sort of make sense, because Yuki commented on how her race was born in the "sea" of data litter throughout the universe. That means they are born inside that database (that seems to be SQL compatible?! ).

Think string theory, and how "supposingly" you can change the property of an object by changing its "string"...
Like i said,

Yuki knows Super-dimensional Quantum-string Lingo

Old 2006-04-26, 14:52   Link #154
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian

Well is is possible based on something that I dug out from ontology thread.
Spoiler:

(of course, it seems that the data entities can conduct expansion instead of waveform collapse and return the original state, which is no easy feat)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-04-26 at 15:56.
Old 2006-04-26, 15:00   Link #155
fulle

Hey, I would just like to say that I (and a lot of other people I'm sure) very much appreciate the work you guys are doing in translating the novels. I think the translation is great, and for a big fan of this series I would really like to read all of the series.

Anyways, just wanted to drop in and offer my bit of support for you guys = )

much love <3
Old 2006-04-26, 15:51   Link #156
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Send a message via AIM to Psieye Send a message via MSN to Psieye
Now now, shouldn't we have some spoiler tags for such discussions in this thread? ^^

Despite what I told myself I did end up reading Ch 3~5 when I got depressed before my exam on Monday afternoon (I needed to take a break) convincing myself that "I'd already been spoiled a little accidnetally, so why not a bit more".

Ah~ I don't think I should read the rest of Vol 1 as it gets translated until the anime covers all 6 Yuutsu episodes as I don't want to be spoiled (I watch this with my friends and being the only one spoiled is frustrating in our talks) - nor do I want to be spoiled while keeping up with this thread. Seems we'll all be a lot busier once exams are over and once the anime has finished Vol 1 and 3 chapters - come Summer!
Old 2006-04-26, 15:56   Link #157
Freak Of Nature
Translator / iitran

Umm... Psieye, reading the novels before watching the anime is not the same as having your anime experience spoiled. The anime is the derivative work, and the books are the original work. It's analogous to having read a manga before watching an anime derived from it -- it doesn't constitute a spoiler.
Old 2006-04-26, 16:01   Link #158
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak Of Nature
Umm... Psieye, reading the novels before watching the anime is not the same as having your anime experience spoiled. The anime is the derivative work, and the books are the original work. It's analogous to having read a manga before watching an anime derived from it -- it doesn't constitute a spoiler.
That's your definition of Spoiler. I'm going by the definition of "I know what these characters can do and what their objectives are" before my anime-only friends know - it means I can't talk freely with them.
Spoiler for though we've all figured out from the anime that...:
...I want to retain what there is of my 'virginity' towards that ending until the anime does that (and other) scene(s) and I'm there with my friends ot share my first reactions to it.

Yes, the contents of words are a (often subjective) variable, not a constant ^^
Old 2006-04-26, 16:01   Link #159
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

lol.

yeah. reading the manga/novel is not spoiling the anime, because what goes on in your head is different from what you see on the anime

My mental picture of Haruhi, is a brunette, D-cup caucasian vixen

As for Asahina.....muwahaha....

anyway...it'sa different experience.
Old 2006-04-26, 16:12   Link #160
Psieye
Lore Hunter

Quote:
lol.

yeah. reading the manga/novel is not spoiling the anime, because what goes on in your head is different from what you see on the anime

My mental picture of Haruhi, is a brunette, D-cup caucasian vixen

As for Asahina.....muwahaha....

anyway...it'sa different experience.
Different but related. Or put it this way: I'm being spoiled not of the anime, but of the story - and I want to capture my reaction to the character/plot twists and developments when I'm watching the anime in synchrony with my friends (as well as be free to discuss the story without foreknowledge).
Closed Thread