AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-10-20, 23:32   Link #61
sibladeko
Cynical Romantic

Spoiler for More random trends that may or may not be worth posting on. :
sibladeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 04:51   Link #62
5parrowhawk

A couple more additions to the Nicovideo lexicon

"Hoihoi" (ホイホイ) - a roach motel. In the context of Nico Nico Douga, a "hoihoi" is a video which is expected to attract large numbers of a certain type of user. Some examples are "shooter hoihoi" (referring to shmup fans), "fujoshi hoihoi", and most popularly "ossan hoihoi". Since this is the internet, anyone over 20 is automatically a geezer (ossan), so any video which references retrogames or retro-anime (i.e. anything from more than about 10 years ago) is very likely to be tagged "ossan hoihoi". Unlike the previous example, "hoihoi" videos usually do deliver on the promised content.

"(ry" - Short form for "ryaku", which translates to "abbreviated" or "summarized". Something like the English "etc", except that (ry is most often seen as a way to abbreviate the name of a meme. Example: "Marisa stole (ry"
5parrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-21, 02:57   Link #63
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

"(ry"'s use is not only limited to Nico, but Japanese community in general, along with things like wktk and ktkr. (Mostly around blogs and 2ch, though.)
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-23, 02:38   Link #64
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

More niconico douga words:

Nakamuraya! 中村屋 and it's more recent variation Shameimaru! \射命丸/

Originating from a flash animation, which was in turn created from a comedy track off a CD by the musical comedy group グループ魂 called GROOPER whose basic joke was:

A man tries to give a standard speech at a wedding party, but a couple guys in the audience act as if it's a kabuki performance and constantly do kakegoe (shouting the person's name, in this case "Nakamura" (with an extra kabuki style honorific -ya))... but kakegoe is a lot more complex than just the name and you can shout out things that sound similar to the name or, well in any case the original of the joke is in kabuki.

The flash video was somewhat popular on niconico, but a recent parody version with Aya Shameimaru from Touhou has eclipsed the original in popularity and any appearence of Aya in videos will often be met with the \射命丸/ comment, which, as you can see from this twisted history I uncovered, actually a traditional Kabuki kakegoe.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 07:27   Link #65
Chrono Helix

I learnt somewhere that ネタバレ means spoilers. What is the origin of this term?
Chrono Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 11:59   Link #66
wao
OK.

I'm sure there's a more detailed etymology of that term, but afaik it literally means what it is: neta (ネタ) meaning something like "content", "stuff", "material" and bare (バレ) meaning "exposed". Put them together and you have "content exposed" = spoiler.

I'd like to know when it first started being used and so on though. I don't think it's a particularly anime-confined term either... I think.
Old 2008-05-02, 00:27   Link #67
LiberLibri
(`◉◞౪◟◉´)

Send a message via AIM to LiberLibri
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
I'd like to know when it first started being used and so on though. I don't think it's a particularly anime-confined term either... I think.
ネタ derived from タネ (tane/seed). You find often upside-down slangs in Japanese. Neta was originally used by suchi cooks during Edo era to suggest the material of sushi, then introduced to comedy actors as a word to point the kernel of their jokes.
LiberLibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 19:41   Link #68
arnquist

Thanks for all the info, I read almost all of it, very educational. Now I'll know what wktk and 乙 and other such things mean when they fly across the screen of a nico video ^_^
My google search for "japanese internet lingo" also turned up this list:
http://whatjapanthinks.com/2006/11/1...-the-internet/
Can you elaborate on any of those?
arnquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-07, 22:59   Link #69
Asamidori
ボカロ廃

lol... 自演's on top of w. And heh apparently that guy's not that familiar with the ones at the bottom.

16 - 厨 nowadays refer to more than just middle school students, but kinda includes the meaning of "fanboys" and "fangirls", too. *points at her own forum title*

19 - 祭り is just that, festival. It doesn't neccessary mean flame wars. Like yesterday night JP/around afternoon today EST, we (the people that was watching/looping) over in あにま's アナザー:ワールドイズマイン was going through a 7万再生祭り 'cause the video broke 70k views. (Think we spammed around 500 to 700 comments in an hour...)

21 - That one literally needs context before it can be explained.

25 - ノシ <- hand. waving goodbye.

26 - Yaoi fangirl. This terms probably more wildly known over here in the west.

27 - Same thing as "wlket5jp;weirtopegh;ksdfas"

28 - (ry - Usually used to shortern stuffs, rather if it's to shortern something normally or used to joke. Whenever I type Marisa, I always go "Marisa wa Taihen na(ry" or something to that degree, because it's long to type, and the fact that most people will know what I'm referring to just from the words typed out.
Asamidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-09, 22:20   Link #70
wao
OK.

Wow, that's an interesting list. I don't think anyone needs it, but these are my own elaborations, based on my own understanding of it. I think some of it is probably just me misunderstanding the author, anyway... and a lot of it is kinda pointless/obvious but I have too much time

Spoiler:

Of course only after writing all that nonsense do I realise it's been explained nicely in the comments section I shall just leave it here and hope someone points out any misunderstandings if any.

Speaking of one I've been tempted to use a lot recently, I came across "2828", which is one of those number-word conversion things meaning "grinning" (niyaniya, 2=ni and 8=ya) I was surprised to see people spamming it on niconico, I didn't know it was widely used in casual internet conversation. (If that is a correct assumption.)
Old 2008-06-28, 14:20   Link #71
Neya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembr View Post
Nice Boat

1. To divert attention from chaos or dissatisfaction.
2. To comment that the boat looks cool.
3. Increase of total aired episodes.
4. To erase from existence (into kuro-rekishi).
5. A synonym of the f-word, but cannot be inflected into an adjective or adverb.
Neya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-12, 13:37   Link #72
einhorn303

The English version of AkibaBlog has a series on otaku terminology for foreginers called "WeeklyAkibaWords." It's rather interesting, a lot of the stuff I'd never heard of before. This weeks:

http://en.akibablog.net/archives/200...one_shoho.html
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-07, 19:39   Link #73
Sister Princess
Easy Operation

What's the proper english term for "中二病"?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 14:31   Link #74
KitsuneNineTails
赤い狐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
According to Denshi Jisho:

中二病 / ちゅうにびょう / humorous way of characterising certain expressions or behaviors that are characteristic of teenagers (lit: 11th grader sickness)

Although, wouldn't it be "8th grader sickness", because of chuuni?

Anyways, there ya go. I don't think we have an exact term for this in English, unless there's some new slang I'm not aware of...

Ciao!
KitsuneNineTails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-06, 20:46   Link #75
Kei_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Princess View Post
I discussed it with my Japanese friends, and one of them called it "the Dark Force syndrome".

Sufferers from 中二病 loves these words ; dark, outlaw, chosen, forbidden, and so on.
"I know, they don't want to be Jedi, but the Lord of Sith." he said.
Kei_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-11, 14:25   Link #76
solomon

Light Novel Question

Sorry if this has been asked already.

I already know what they are. On average what is the overall length, word count and comprehension difficulty. From reviews I read on the internet, they basically read like anime scripts (which can sometimes be expository heavy compared to regular film/tv).
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 05:11   Link #77
NeoSam

つるぺた
Tsurupeta

Taken from here:

Quote:
It is a Japanese portmanteau word combining two onomatopoeias: tsurutsuru [つるつる], which means smooth, polished, especially hairless; and petan [ぺたん], which means flat, devoid of bumps and holes. So tsurupeta [つるぺた] describes a female body that's flat above and smooth below.
Old 2010-04-11, 10:05   Link #78
ellifeedn
Thinker

I can't believe no one explained doujins. The best I can describe them (and know about them) is that they are fan made material.

Oh, and does anyone know what "M-C" is/means?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-05, 02:19   Link #79
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
I can't believe no one explained doujins. The best I can describe them (and know about them) is that they are fan made material.

Master of Ceremonies. The host of a party or awards party/show.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-06, 22:56   Link #80
Micchi
兄さんが望むなら...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellifeedn View Post
It could also mean 'Main Character', depending on the context.

Tags
wiki candidate