Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Spoiler for episode 11:

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2010-03-20 at 00:13. Reason: Stupid Firefox and text boxes; pasted one sentence into another
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-19, 23:53   Link #742
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Since it looks like the story is ending here (Heck, even the title of the episode was "The End"), I'm assuming episode 12 will be some omake episode with no bearing on the plot.

I don't see why they decided to go this route when they could've stretched the main story a bit for some extra information, like what the hell was wrong with Kaori anyway?

Anyway it was an okay series. It sure as hell ain't as good as Ryukishi's When They Cry series but I s'pose that's to be expected.
Old 2010-03-20, 01:22   Link #743
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Yeah, Nemeru shippers got what they wanted!

Nice ending. Too bad about Sakaki. If he survived that fall, he's got a lot of thinking to do. It's like he killed his fiancee all over again. His body wasn't seen floating past the camera by the way.

Now I wonder why we're having the Frog Prince and Princess in the next ep preview? Do we get a kiss scene between Nemeru and Hiro ala The Princess and the Frog?
Old 2010-03-20, 03:05   Link #744
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Hiroshi must be pretty happy with himself. Gets to stand and act like a hero with the good old human shield routine. Good thing Sakaki only has one more bullet left....oh wait . Still all that effort nets him a harem and dreams of building his utopia.

I know there aren't many great ways to calm a crazy guy with a gun, but Nemuru and company seem to fail pretty badly at it. Hiroshi saying his fiance's death was unfortunate "but" and Nemuru talking about wanting to live in peace even though she has personally killed quite a few people. Sometimes better to just stay quiet and hope the guy gets bored and leaves. Thought for a second he might try damaging the controls, but that would been too easy.
Old 2010-03-20, 06:21   Link #745
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

This Episode was so full of retarded key points and cliche that it almost reached the point of "so bad it is funny".
While the suspension of disbelief was thouroghly put on a tight rope with "villain not making sure people are dead" or Hiro's masochist and oblivious pattern, I think Episode 11 was the straw.
As people said, Sakaki trying to flood the village only now seems to be the usual "let's have some flashy plans first, before the grand final, why, for I'm as stupid as the protagonist".
But that isn't anything bad, when the said dam has a noob-friendly "push-it-to-own-them-all" villainous red button.
Surprisingly, Sakaki didn't go beyond nuts, like destroying the control panel (I mean: he DID expect them to track him down, so if he wanted to exact his revenge that badly, I think dooming everyone for good would be his top priority... or not?)

Also, all of a sudden, Nemuru and friends are unable to do "KIRA'S FABULOUS BULLET DODGE" just because Sakaki suddenly become a marksman with a plain gun. Well, considering their speed, I think they actually shouldn't need to dodge the bullets, but rather disarm nutty male Takano before he has even the chance to pull the trigger.

At the very least, they didn't do a cheesy "Sakaki reflected upon his crimes, collapses like a loser, and beg for mercy". But they still made Sakaki being silly enough to listen to Hiro's lengthy monologue, as if he didn't have anything better to do.
But then, we got a nearly plot device with Kaori, who didn't have much role except at that given point (it almost seems she was written solely to give a good excuse how Sakaki can be taken out, since everyone else is incompetent).

But good lord the end is... certainly the illustration of "abrupt", with absolutely no real follow up after the incident.
Though it is actually good (no sarcasm) that they at least mention the aftermath with the humans regarding the whole thing (they didn't use the almighty "MIB-like" memory suppression plot device... incredible).
Old 2010-03-20, 10:48   Link #746
klare

i never had high hope for this show, but i also did not realise it is that bad until the last 2 eps

eps 11 is terrible, none of the character's actions make sense or logic

and someone like Hiro getting 3 wives make ppl angry...
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 11:06   Link #747
Daisu
Strange New World
*Graphic Designer

Sorry but did not like it, ookami needed to be a lot more darker to make it a good anime. Hiro just a douche and I think he s one of the main reason of losing interest in the anime IMO. Just everything in the anime seems half-hearted work.

Higurashi was leagues better then this.
Old 2010-03-20, 11:13   Link #748
GDB

Should have kept the horror mystery angle from the first 5-6 episodes. Should not have gone in this crazy ass angle that makes it look like one person did the first half of the story and someone else the second half.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 11:42   Link #749
Nayrael
The Faceless One

Send a message via MSN to Nayrael
Ookami was a horror? Really? I got such impression from none of its episode's...
Old 2010-03-20, 11:44   Link #750
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayrael View Post
Ookami was a horror? Really? I got such impression from none of its episode's...
So you didn't get a horror vibe from people getting cut down at what seemed to be random, people going insane, and people randomly disappearing? What's your definition of horror, then? People randomly screaming for no apparent reason?
Old 2010-03-20, 12:38   Link #751
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
So you didn't get a horror vibe from people getting cut down at what seemed to be random, people going insane, and people randomly disappearing? What's your definition of horror, then? People randomly screaming for no apparent reason?
Perhaps, the definition of horror is evolving.

This title did not fill me with "..painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay." which is the definition of "horror". Japanese horror to me is different from American horror. I so far have not had those feelings in a Japanese horror title. Patlabor WXIII and Blood the Last Vampire were the closest to give me those feelings. (For the record, When They Cry and Hell Girl didn't evoke those feelings in me either.) Maybe the Japanese anime horror genre is settling into its own formula and this is what sells. A romantic mystery title with horror elements for the teens and twenty-somethings.

So if I was to use the American definition, then I would also say this is not really a horror title.

Now don't get me wrong. I had a fun ride with this title. It had an uplifting ending but it's no Halloween.

Last edited by orion; 2010-03-20 at 13:06.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 13:26   Link #752
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Okami Kakushi is a fanservice comedy before it is horror.

I'll give it 5/10 overall because of the OP/ED, Nemuru, and good presentation. The visuals were nice and it just was a pretty anime to look at. So they did take quite a bit of time setting up the atmosphere with visuals and sound, and the initial slow pace helped at this though for some reason it was sped up too much at the end. It really shouldn't have been just 12 episodes because there's no way it could generate anything coherent or meaningful with what we had so far. So it had good setup that was let down by a pitiful excuse for a plot and the whole anime is incredibly shallow in terms of plot and character with only Nemuru recieving some very slight development.

But truth be told, it did have me going for a little, making me interested in seeing more. It's just that there wasn't much to be seen. I'll commend them still, for holding back on the TO THE PAIN moments, so they weren't just gonna rely on shock value.

It pains me to rank this below Umineko Tv but while Okami Kakushi seemed to have more potential, Umineko showed some great parts even if the whole thing was a mess, while Okami Kakushi never managed to raise itself above mediocrity. Perhaps it was never aiming any higher, but that doesn't change anything. Ah well. Nemuru spinoff someday....

TL;DR Okami Kakushi is pretty candy that tastes like most other.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:18   Link #753
Baru

Send a message via AIM to Baru
I enjoyed this series for awhile, but the ending was pretty lolwut...

Smashing multiple arcs together never really turns out that well
Baru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 14:24   Link #754
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Perhaps, the definition of horror is evolving.

This title did not fill me with "..painful and intense fear, dread, or dismay." which is the definition of "horror". Japanese horror to me is different from American horror. I so far have not had those feelings in a Japanese horror title.
Using that definition, a "horror" title could fluctuate between accurate or not accurate depending on the person. Personally, no movie or TV series has left me with that type of feeling in the last... 10 years? Does that mean no horror-themed movie or series has come out since then? No, because it's either subjective or has to use a different definition that isn't as subjective.
Old 2010-03-20, 15:54   Link #755
Nosauz

so I rewatched this episode and man is it god awful, after sakaki shoots isuzu he has 4 bullets left in a revolver and there are 5 of them, to realistically hit all five of the super speedy wolf jouga w/e people would be ridiculous hard and not to mention his grip of the pistol promotes the least accuracy... God this show is awful, and writing... oh my.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 16:46   Link #756
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Not much to say than what was already said about this conclusion. I'll just say this episode stayed true to the "spirit" of the series for me. Stupid and hilarious. As I've already said before, I never really managed to take this series seriously (save for a few episodes) and some of the comments here didn't help

If there's one thing I have to praise from the series, it's the music. I thought it was really great. Looking forward to hearing more of Takumi Ozawa.

Next episode looks like it might be the best of the series. At least the comedy will be intentional, this time.
Old 2010-03-20, 17:25   Link #757
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
If there's one thing I have to praise from the series, it's the music. I thought it was really great. Looking forward to hearing more of Takumi Ozawa.
Yeah it's been a good score, and decent music placement works. Though when it comes to the best thing about this series, Onii hands down.
Old 2010-03-20, 18:30   Link #758
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I left this hanging since I it was so slow with the first episodes. Should I continue it? or is it bad?
Old 2010-03-20, 18:33   Link #759
snakespm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
so I rewatched this episode and man is it god awful, after sakaki shoots isuzu he has 4 bullets left in a revolver and there are 5 of them, to realistically hit all five of the super speedy wolf jouga w/e people would be ridiculous hard and not to mention his grip of the pistol promotes the least accuracy... God this show is awful, and writing... oh my.
Not to mention the revolver is single action. I'd be suprised if he could get off 2 shots honestly.
snakespm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-20, 19:13   Link #760
moichispa
Endless witch

No that I have watched episode 11 how does this series are related with the original VN.

Are they Vn story, a alternaty ending written by 07 or written by anime stuff.

Does any of the Vn want to answer me about this?

Tags
horror