AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2019-12-12, 00:40   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 965 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Oden's history continues! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the spoiler info:

-Chapter title is "The Kurozumi Clan Conspiracy". Ministory involves Capone taking down the captain of the pirates who invaded Dressrosa.

-Toki says she wants to visit Wano because it was her parents' homeland. However, she doesn't actually know where she herself was born. Meanwhile, the Whitebeard pirates are being chased by the marines. Oden, who's ignorant of the WG, finds it strange that they're not fighting back against them. WB explains that it's too troublesome due to their numbers, and considers Wano lucky due to not being a member nation. Two years after Oden sets out to sea, a joyous occasion occurs: The birth of his first child, Momonosuke!

-And that's not the only surprise in store for the samurai: He now has a bounty poster! It's for these reasons that Izou tells his master to think of his family and consider returning to Wano, but Oden isn't ready for that yet. Furthermore, Toki is fine with staying out at sea. Meanwhile, the Whitebeard pirates have grown to the point that it now has five divisions.... the second of which Oden is designated the commander of. Interestingly, one of the new recruits to the crew happens to be a young orphan by the name of Teach. However, as his adventures continue, Oden is unaware of the events taking place in his homeland....

-Back in Wano, shogun Sukiyaki's illness worsens, and he wishes to make Oden his successor. However, as his son is currently missing, Orochi is temporarily appointed as a regent in the missing samurai's place. It's at this point that he reveals his surname of Kurozumi to the gathered daimyos, and says he wishes to repay his debt to the shogun and Oden while simultaneously clearing the name of his own family. However, a flashback-within-a-flashback reveals that Orochi was conspiring with a mysterious old woman all along! She tells him that the previous head of the Kurozumi clan, his grandfather, planned to succeed the previous head of the Kouzuki clan as shogun, who had no heirs at that point. After eliminating the competition by assassinating the other daimyos, Orochi's grandfather nearly succeeded.... until Sukiyaki was born. Eventually, the Kurozumi clan's plot was exposed, and Orochi's grandfather was forced to commit seppuku as punishment! Since then, the Kurozumi clan's status among the five great clans of Wano has diminished. Orochi now plans to get revenge against the Kouzuki family, so the old woman, who's a user of the Mane Mane (Copy) no Mi, hatches a plan: She first presents him with his own devil fruit, then instructs him to gather money to make weapons. As it turns out, the money he took from Yasu and Oden was used for this purpose. It was also Oden who got Orochi a job working as a servant to the shogun, giving the man more resources to further his agenda. Later, Orochi and the shogun are shown having a meeting.... except that the shogun is actually the old woman in disguise!!! Not long afterwards, word of Sukiyaki's passing spreads throughout the nation....

-More time passes. It's now the 4th year since Oden joined Whitebeard, and his daughter Hiyori is born. The WB pirates land on a new island.... which just so happens to be currently occupied by the Roger pirates, who just took down some marine soldiers. Roger says it's boring fighting against marines who aren't his rivals like Garp and Sengoku. He knows that he won't live much longer due to his illness, so he's now considering challenging Whitebeard to a final battle....!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2019-12-13 at 23:52.
marvelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 00:51   Link #2
marvelB

Man, Roger's nose looks weird in that last page, lol. Anyway, we learn Momo was born on a pirate ship, we see the moment Blackbeard joined, Orochi apparently has a feud with the Kouzuki family, and he's conspiring with some stranger who turns out to be the previous user of Mr. 2's power.... sure is a lot of info to take in. I'm also a little disappointed that Scopper Gaban is stuck in the background there in that spread of Roger's crew. Now on the other hand, I'm actually pretty curious about that big fish-man standing behind him...
Old 2019-12-12, 02:13   Link #3
Hoodspirit

The woman born over 800 years ago was the thing that interested me the most when this flashback started, but everything about her is being skipped.

Instead we just get basic visuals of few panels up to a page or two about basic things we already knew from one-liners up to a speech bubble or two, without any emotional buildup for either presentation.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 11:24   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I suspect Toki will get more relevant when Oden gets back to Wano and Oda doesn't have to deal with this many important characters.

Not sure where Oda is going with the Mane Mane old lady.
Old 2019-12-12, 13:24   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not sure where Oda is going with the Mane Mane old lady.
I think this development will be instrumental somehow in Oden's death. Very useful ability for espionage and deception. And with the way things have been building up, it seems to be a given that Oden dies through underhanded means.

The Kabuki play act structure appears to be what Oda is modeling the Wano arc after. And it just so happens that act 3 of this play often involves a tragedy.
Old 2019-12-12, 14:36   Link #6
Rainbowman

Orachi’s plan has tribalism written all over.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-12, 17:27   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I think this development will be instrumental somehow in Oden's death. Very useful ability for espionage and deception. And with the way things have been building up, it seems to be a given that Oden dies through underhanded means.
Yep, pretty much how I feel about this. I mean, for instance, I can easily see Orochi's co-conspirator taking Oden's guise and assassinating Sukiyaki, framing Oden for the murder.... and that's just off the top of my head. The mane mane ability can be used to cause a not insignificant amount of damage to the Kouzuki clan's name. In fact, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Orochi's accomplice was a huge contributing factor to why the clan became so widely hated in the present time....
Old 2019-12-12, 19:14   Link #8
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Oh, I can definitely how the ability would be useful. I'm just wondering what her motives are since the summary describes her as mysterious, and I find it intriguing to see a DF ability we've already seen pop up with a different user in the past.
Old 2019-12-13, 01:49   Link #9
The Small One

Well, the mane-mane woman appears in a flashback inside of the flashback. I guess she fullfilled her purpose by placing Orochi inside of the castle.

What I wonder though: What happened to all of the other retainers during Oden's absence?

And: Wasn't the Straw Hat supposed to be Roger's? He isn't wearing a hat in this chapter…
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 02:04   Link #10
Hoodspirit

^The Straw Hat is under the captain's hat, worn by Shanks.
Probably a fetish of his.

Orochi worked quite hard to become the Shogun.

btw: One year left until the Roger pirates disband.

Last edited by Hoodspirit; 2019-12-13 at 02:18.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 03:15   Link #11
marvelB

Wow, the full chapter had quite a few details that were left out of the spoilers! Interesting to note that one of Wano's great clans is Amatsuki.... which happens to be Toki's surname. Anyway, I guess that old lady must be Orochi's grandmother? It would make sense considering all the details she knew about the Kurozumi clan's fall from grace (assuming everything she said was true, at least). I guess she left the country for a spell and decided to hatch her revenge plot once the heat from the succession incident cooled down... and found a convenient tool in her grandson. Part of me sorta wonders if Orochi eventually backstabbed her as well, because.... I mean, Bentham wouldn't be the current wielder of the mane mane power if she were still alive, right?

BTW, something I'm also a bit curious about is if this succession incident is what caused Shimotsuki Kouzaburou (the swordsmith who forged Wado Ichimonji and Enma, remember) to leave Wano? Tengu told Zoro that Kouzaburou left the country over 50 years ago from the present time, and I think that would match up pretty well with the time the treachery of Orochi's grandfather occurred. He might have decided to flee the country in order to escape a gruesome death....
Old 2019-12-13, 03:43   Link #12
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyway, I guess that old lady must be Orochi's grandmother?
To me it looked like the woman, and the man who was playing the instrument, are a couple… they had about the same age. So I don't think it's his grandmother. Probably some sort of retainers or other servants of the family, who lost everything.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 11:00   Link #13
grecefar

maybe that last battle it goes with the talk with roger telling whitebeard about his name and if he wants to know were raftel is.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-13, 11:10   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The translation I've read didn't talk about a battle to the death between the Roger and Whitebeard pirates. The implications that it may be their final battle was because Roger is going to die soon and they may not meet again.
Old 2019-12-13, 16:21   Link #15
Tuor

Whitebeard, as he was dying, said that he *knew* that the Onepiece exists. I wonder if the events that are about to transpire will explain his statement.

Last edited by Tuor; 2019-12-14 at 02:31. Reason: Dang Auto-correct function on my cell phone. :/
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-14, 00:03   Link #16
marvelB

^Whiteboard? Is his power to stand perfectly still while pirates draw penis doodles on him with black markers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The translation I've read didn't talk about a battle to the death between the Roger and Whitebeard pirates. The implications that it may be their final battle was because Roger is going to die soon and they may not meet again.
Yeah, I forgot to edit that earlier, but in the spoiler summary basically said something like Roger wanting to take WB down with him since he'll die soon, anyway. I dunno, I guess the spoiler exaggerated the line or something, lol.

Anyways, seeing as both crews are about to encounter each other, I guess it's safe to say this is the point where Oden jumps ships from WB to Roger? And if so, maybe this is when we'll learn why Izou decided to stick with WB instead of his master....?
Old 2019-12-14, 12:04   Link #17
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, seeing as both crews are about to encounter each other, I guess it's safe to say this is the point where Oden jumps ships from WB to Roger? And if so, maybe this is when we'll learn why Izou decided to stick with WB instead of his master....?
Based on the little screentime he got this chapter, Izou is still loyal to Oden and wants to go back to Wano, so I'm also curious why he'll have a change of heart.
Old 2019-12-14, 12:16   Link #18
P_Dezz

I wonder if in this flashback Roger had already sailed once around the world. if he's interested in Oden, that probably means Roger wants Oden to teach him the Poneglyphs.

Last edited by P_Dezz; 2019-12-14 at 14:56. Reason: grammar
P_Dezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-14, 19:51   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Dezz View Post
I wonder if in this flashback Roger had already sailed once around the world. if he's interested in Oden, that probably means Roger wants Oden to teach him the Poneglyphs.
Roger can hear the voice of all things, he doesn't need Oden to read Poneglyphs. He's just interested in him because he's from a nation that has had zero interaction with the outside world for decades and he's a samurai.
Old 2019-12-15, 08:00   Link #20
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

I thought Oden is already a shogun when Orochi started his rebellion
but it looks like Orochi actually take over the shogun title before Oden
except, Oden come back and take down Orochi... reign for several years before Orochi killed him (it is unlikely to happen)
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote